This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Human-after-all (2968 posts) -
I am going to buy a phone in the next few days and I have looked up reviews and opinions on HTC One S and they are pretty favorable. I can get an unlocked one T-Mob for $475 (CDN). They also have an international One X for $575 (CDN).
#2 Posted by Gambler_3 (7548 posts) -

The HTC one S is one of the nicest feeling phone out there. Pefect size and build. However it has 2 major weaknesses,

- The screen resolution is really not on par with the high end

- The HTC sense offers poor multi-tasking.

Now the one X has great screen but it has poor battery life ruining the show and in my opinion a not so ergonomic design. It also shares the problem of multi-tasking so really it's not a good phone for the price.

If you are in the market for an unlocked phone then look no further than the quad core galaxy S3.

Also know that if you are looking for a value for money phone then the galaxy nexus is the one to get as you can get it for $350 in the US unlocked.

However if you must only buy an HTC phone then I'll recommend the one S. The one S also has a very good speaker whereas the one X speaker is terrible. I tend to give value to a good speaker on a phone as we consume so much media on a phone these days it should have a decent speaker.

#3 Posted by Human-after-all (2968 posts) -
I bought One S, guy at the shop said theyve been getting a lot of One Xs back with screen issues and recommended against it as well. Happy with one s so far. They had international One Xs for $600 and I got a TMobile One S for $475 with added clear coat.
#4 Posted by Gambler_3 (7548 posts) -

I bought One S, guy at the shop said theyve been getting a lot of One Xs back with screen issues and recommended against it as well. Happy with one s so far. They had international One Xs for $600 and I got a TMobile One S for $475 with added clear coat. Human-after-all
Congrats it's a nice phone indeed. :D

#5 Posted by mystic_knight (13801 posts) -
Definitely a great phone. :) congrats on it.
#6 Posted by reuben161 (19 posts) -

The HTC one S is one of the nicest feeling phone out there. Pefect size and build. However it has 2 major weaknesses,

- The screen resolution is really not on par with the high end

- The HTC sense offers poor multi-tasking.

Now the one X has great screen but it has poor battery life ruining the show and in my opinion a not so ergonomic design. It also shares the problem of multi-tasking so really it's not a good phone for the price.

If you are in the market for an unlocked phone then look no further than the quad core galaxy S3.

Also know that if you are looking for a value for money phone then the galaxy nexus is the one to get as you can get it for $350 in the US unlocked.

However if you must only buy an HTC phone then I'll recommend the one S. The one S also has a very good speaker whereas the one X speaker is terrible. I tend to give value to a good speaker on a phone as we consume so much media on a phone these days it should have a decent speaker.

Gambler_3
what are you on about? do you have the htc one X? can you personally say that the speaker is poor? i have had both the S and X and personally i think the speaker on the one X is great, i have had problems with the battery life though but it doesn't bother me as long as i charge it every night. the speakers on the S and X sound exactly the same, plus they are both 'beats audio' also i have had no problems with the htc one X screen but it has been reported that a lot of people have been having issues like screen banding and that if you press the left side of the screen down slightly harder than normal then it changes colour. (like when you press the screen on a tv thats not supposed to be pressed) eventually the left side of the screen discolours. but it has been reported that it is only a problem on SOME htc one X phones, this is a major disadvantage though for a top end smart phone
#7 Posted by Gambler_3 (7548 posts) -

what are you on about? do you have the htc one X? can you personally say that the speaker is poor? i have had both the S and X and personally i think the speaker on the one X is great, i have had problems with the battery life though but it doesn't bother me as long as i charge it every night. the speakers on the S and X sound exactly the same, plus they are both 'beats audio' also i have had no problems with the htc one X screen but it has been reported that a lot of people have been having issues like screen banding and that if you press the left side of the screen down slightly harder than normal then it changes colour. (like when you press the screen on a tv thats not supposed to be pressed) eventually the left side of the screen discolours. but it has been reported that it is only a problem on SOME htc one X phones, this is a major disadvantage though for a top end smart phonereuben161
I have used both in a shop where I played back the exact same ringtones on full volume. The one S had a much better speaker, many users on xda have complained about the one X speaker as well. In GSMarena galaxy S3 vs one X speaker test the one X lost. I have very extensively used the galaxy S3 and it doesnt exactly have a very good speaker either but its just borderline acceptable, anything worse and its poor in my book.

The "beats audio" is only supposed to work with headphones.

My mums xperia arc S has a mind blowing speaker for a phone I wish every phone had that sort of volume on speakers.

#8 Posted by mystic_knight (13801 posts) -
The one x speaker is ok, but its not great, the battery life is poor, and their wifi chip is $hit
#10 Posted by kraken2109 (12950 posts) -

[QUOTE="reuben161"]what are you on about? do you have the htc one X? can you personally say that the speaker is poor? i have had both the S and X and personally i think the speaker on the one X is great, i have had problems with the battery life though but it doesn't bother me as long as i charge it every night. the speakers on the S and X sound exactly the same, plus they are both 'beats audio' also i have had no problems with the htc one X screen but it has been reported that a lot of people have been having issues like screen banding and that if you press the left side of the screen down slightly harder than normal then it changes colour. (like when you press the screen on a tv thats not supposed to be pressed) eventually the left side of the screen discolours. but it has been reported that it is only a problem on SOME htc one X phones, this is a major disadvantage though for a top end smart phoneGambler_3

I have used both in a shop where I played back the exact same ringtones on full volume. The one S had a much better speaker, many users on xda have complained about the one X speaker as well. In GSMarena galaxy S3 vs one X speaker test the one X lost. I have very extensively used the galaxy S3 and it doesnt exactly have a very good speaker either but its just borderline acceptable, anything worse and its poor in my book.

The "beats audio" is only supposed to work with headphones.

My mums xperia arc S has a mind blowing speaker for a phone I wish every phone had that sort of volume on speakers.

Also beats audio is just an EQ preset.