HTC cancels the ICS update of desire HD!!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

User Lists: 0

#1 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

In an attempt to rescue disappointing sales of their latest one series phones HTC has decided a new strategy to cancel update on their most popular phone to date so maybe more people will buy a new phone. Well yes HTC people will buy new phone but I can assure you not yours. This is the sort of BS that is completely UNACCEPTABLE this is worse than galaxy S not getting ICS because atleast nobody was fooled into waiting.

The HTC incredible S is almost a 100% same phone and it already got the update. What a load of fail I am never recommending an HTC phone again if this really is true as this sort of behaviour is only gonna ruin android. Atleast samsung is open source so the community can make stable roms for their phones even if they dont officially update.

Users at xda have filed a petition but even if it gives HTC a change of heart I am not changing my opinion about them. It should NOT come to this you shouldnt have to beg for a software update!!

TwistedShade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 TwistedShade
Member since 2012 • 3139 Posts

Pretty terrible of them to do. I'm not suprised the One series is failing, releasing too closely to the S3 really hurt them and i've heard the battery life on them is terrible.

imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts
Yet I bet you will continue to recommend Samsung even though they only update pretty much one phone. If the incredible s can run ics so can the galaxy s which sure isn't getting ics either. if you want updates never buy anything other than a nexus. Most people wont even care as most people never update phones, only tech geeks really update. They really shouldn't have cancelled the update though, might be time to kill all those custom skins so phones can get updates directly from google. The one series failed for me when they decided sd card slots were not important. 32gb just about cuts it but not 16gb.
mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 mystic_knight
Member since 2003 • 13801 Posts
Gambler thats ridiculous, the Desire HD was pretty great even on gingerbread. The phone is one of the greatest handsets i ever held, and it was far more popular than any other single core phone on the android scene, even besting the nexus S and the galaxy S. HTC is a company just like Samsung and apple, they need to create sales too. Although there strategy was wrong, it was still an obvious decision to make more sales on their One line. And for the record HTC support still surpasses most other android developers support. Only Sony have nearly as much support for their devices as HTC. Not just that but the developer scene is very strong on HTC devices with again the Desire HD having a whole heap of support in the custom theme / OS world.

Pretty terrible of them to do. I'm not suprised the One series is failing, releasing too closely to the S3 really hurt them and i've heard the battery life on them is terrible.

TwistedShade
The one series was released 2 months before the GS3. Only the krait variant was released around the same time as GS3.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Gambler_3

Yet I bet you will continue to recommend Samsung even though they only update pretty much one phone. If the incredible s can run ics so can the galaxy s which sure isn't getting ics either. if you want updates never buy anything other than a nexus. Most people wont even care as most people never update phones, only tech geeks really update. They really shouldn't have cancelled the update though, might be time to kill all those custom skins so phones can get updates directly from google. The one series failed for me when they decided sd card slots were not important. 32gb just about cuts it but not 16gb. imprezawrx500
Galaxy S was 18 months old when ICS came, deisre HD was a year old. There is not a single samsung phone with the specs of galaxy S running ICS so atleast samsung isnt being contradictory. Galaxy S was released on android 2.1, desire HD was released on 2.2. For both of them to finish at 2.3 does not go well for HTC support.

Gambler thats ridiculous, the Desire HD was pretty great even on gingerbread. The phone is one of the greatest handsets i ever held, and it was far more popular than any other single core phone on the android scene, even besting the nexus S and the galaxy S. HTC is a company just like Samsung and apple, they need to create sales too. Although there strategy was wrong, it was still an obvious decision to make more sales on their One line. And for the record HTC support still surpasses most other android developers support. Only Sony have nearly as much support for their devices as HTC. Not just that but the developer scene is very strong on HTC devices with again the Desire HD having a whole heap of support in the custom theme / OS world.mystic_knight
Getting a bit over board arent we? Galaxy S was the most popular single core phone that is just a fact nothing can be argued about it.

HTC developer support is second after sony? Whatever the hell are you upto? Samsung touchwiz is an open source interface HTC sense isnt.

The desire HD was a legendary phone for HTC, to lie to your customers all this time is just unacceptable. Not giving support in the first place is not as bad as fooling your customers.

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mystic_knight

[QUOTE="imprezawrx500"]Yet I bet you will continue to recommend Samsung even though they only update pretty much one phone. If the incredible s can run ics so can the galaxy s which sure isn't getting ics either. if you want updates never buy anything other than a nexus. Most people wont even care as most people never update phones, only tech geeks really update. They really shouldn't have cancelled the update though, might be time to kill all those custom skins so phones can get updates directly from google. The one series failed for me when they decided sd card slots were not important. 32gb just about cuts it but not 16gb. Gambler_3

Galaxy S was 18 months old when ICS came, deisre HD was a year old. There is not a single samsung phone with the specs of galaxy S running ICS so atleast samsung isnt being contradictory. Galaxy S was released on android 2.1, desire HD was released on 2.2. For both of them to finish at 2.3 does not go well for HTC support.

Gambler thats ridiculous, the Desire HD was pretty great even on gingerbread. The phone is one of the greatest handsets i ever held, and it was far more popular than any other single core phone on the android scene, even besting the nexus S and the galaxy S. HTC is a company just like Samsung and apple, they need to create sales too. Although there strategy was wrong, it was still an obvious decision to make more sales on their One line. And for the record HTC support still surpasses most other android developers support. Only Sony have nearly as much support for their devices as HTC. Not just that but the developer scene is very strong on HTC devices with again the Desire HD having a whole heap of support in the custom theme / OS world.mystic_knight
Getting a bit over board arent we? Galaxy S was the most popular single core phone that is just a fact nothing can be argued about it.

HTC developer support is second after sony? Whatever the hell are you upto? Samsung touchwiz is an open source interface HTC sense isnt.

The desire HD was a legendary phone for HTC, to lie to your customers all this time is just unacceptable. Not giving support in the first place is not as bad as fooling your customers.

Actually HTC sense is now an Open Source OS and has been for the last 16 months. HTC themselves give you root access through HTC Dev. And my bad its the second most popular single core handset after the Galaxy S. I never said HTC support is second after sony i actually said it the other way around, Sony is second after HTC. My dads Xperia Neo got ICS. Sony actually release updates surprisingly well, and if i know HTC they will eventually release ICS for the Desire HD.
imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 imprezawrx500

[QUOTE="imprezawrx500"]Yet I bet you will continue to recommend Samsung even though they only update pretty much one phone. If the incredible s can run ics so can the galaxy s which sure isn't getting ics either. if you want updates never buy anything other than a nexus. Most people wont even care as most people never update phones, only tech geeks really update. They really shouldn't have cancelled the update though, might be time to kill all those custom skins so phones can get updates directly from google. The one series failed for me when they decided sd card slots were not important. 32gb just about cuts it but not 16gb. Gambler_3

Yes but the fact is Samsung is terrible at updating their phones (nexus doesn't count) What Samsing phone has even got ics besides the s2 and note? Heck they are still releasing new phones on gingerbread that is just sad that they pretty much wont give you ics unless you buy a s3.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Gambler_3

Actually HTC sense is now an Open Source OS and has been for the last 16 months. HTC themselves give you root access through HTC Dev. And my bad its the second most popular single core handset after the Galaxy S. I never said HTC support is second after sony i actually said it the other way around, Sony is second after HTC. My dads Xperia Neo got ICS. Sony actually release updates surprisingly well, and if i know HTC they will eventually release ICS for the Desire HD.mystic_knight
Really link? You know the purpose of the tool that HTC gives? To record the IMEI and consider the warranty void on that phone. Samsung on the other hand doesnt even lock the bootloader.

Ah you meant official support? Well there is no beating sony here they have given budget phones ICS as well no one else has. Their entire 2011 lineup is now running ICS before anyone else did it.

Yes but the fact is Samsung is terrible at updating their phones (nexus doesn't count) What Samsing phone has even got ics besides the s2 and note? Heck they are still releasing new phones on gingerbread that is just sad that they pretty much wont give you ics unless you buy a s3. imprezawrx500
Yes only flagship samsung phones should be purchased I will agree and if S2 doesnt get jelly bean I would stop recommending the galaxy S series as well!! Lets see who gets jelly bean first the sensation or S2.

You have to understand not giving an update is not as bad as announcing to the world that you are giving an update then MONTHS later cancel for NO reason AT ALL.

awptical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 awptical
Member since 2003 • 844 Posts

Just for any users out there using Galaxy S series or the HTC Desire HD or w/e, chances are you phone already has a custom rom version of ICS already out. I'd take the 20 minutes and root your phone and install an ICS rom. They're almost always 100% working and stable with few (if any) bugs. I did this earlier with my little brother's Sprint Epic 4G, the Galaxy S variant on Sprint from a few years ago. That phone is notorious for getting absolutely no dev support. But thanks to an extremely dedicated userbase and the folks at CyanogenMod, we got his phone updated to ICS with no problems whatsoever. The difference in speed and smoothness is night and day, honestly. His CM9 version of ICS actually ran better than my stock version of ICS on my GNexus which was kinda funny. Definitely check them out or go over to Android Central forums to look at the custom rom/rooting forums for your device. Lots of goodies to be had.

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mystic_knight

Just for any users out there using Galaxy S series or the HTC Desire HD or w/e, chances are you phone already has a custom rom version of ICS already out. I'd take the 20 minutes and root your phone and install an ICS rom. They're almost always 100% working and stable with few (if any) bugs. I did this earlier with my little brother's Sprint Epic 4G, the Galaxy S variant on Sprint from a few years ago. That phone is notorious for getting absolutely no dev support. But thanks to an extremely dedicated userbase and the folks at CyanogenMod, we got his phone updated to ICS with no problems whatsoever. The difference in speed and smoothness is night and day, honestly. His CM9 version of ICS actually ran better than my stock version of ICS on my GNexus which was kinda funny. Definitely check them out or go over to Android Central forums to look at the custom rom/rooting forums for your device. Lots of goodies to be had.

awptical
Its true i ran the updated version of HTC sense and the latest GB rom back when i had my DHD and was awesome, the Custom Roms are generally more smoother than the Official roms.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Gambler_3

awptical

Desire HD doesnt even have an ICS rom with 720p video recording and third party camera apps dont work it's been over 6 months. The galaxy S had an easier road for whatever reason but by no means are custom roms a justification of anything, 99% of the population dont bother with those sort of things and as I said there are phones where even the mighty devs cant do anything. They were waiting for desire HD ICS update to get the kernel 3 but seems like it wont happen.

awptical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 awptical
Member since 2003 • 844 Posts

[QUOTE="awptical"]

Gambler_3

Desire HD doesnt even have an ICS rom with 720p video recording and third party camera apps dont work it's been over 6 months. The galaxy S had an easier road for whatever reason but by no means are custom roms a justification of anything, 99% of the population dont bother with those sort of things and as I said there are phones where even the mighty devs cant do anything. They were waiting for desire HD ICS update to get the kernel 3 but seems like it wont happen.

Just so we're clear, I wasn't saying custom roms were a fine justification for lazy ass OEMs. I'm just saying giving the circumstances, many Galaxy S and other phone users are missing out on a better OS. They can benefit by rooting and getting one of these custom roms. Sorry to hear the HTC Desire HD doesn't seem to be supported as well. However, on my brother's Epic 4G its flawless so far and quite the improvement. I even installed it on my old LG Optimus V, a budget phone for Virgin Mobile with a 600mhz processor and it seems to be working without issues as well. Camera, bluetooth, WiFi, GPS etc all working. Amazing how much support such a POS phone like that gets. Again, not saying its fine for the Devs to not support their devices, just wanting users of these devices to know they can still get the update another way.

Oh and BTW

http://www.androidcentral.com/htc-says-desire-hd-still-getting-ics-refutes-reports-update-cancellation

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Gambler_3

Just so we're clear, I wasn't saying custom roms were a fine justification for lazy ass OEMs. I'm just saying giving the circumstances, many Galaxy S and other phone users are missing out on a better OS. They can benefit by rooting and getting one of these custom roms. Sorry to hear the HTC Desire HD doesn't seem to be supported as well. However, on my brother's Epic 4G its flawless so far and quite the improvement. I even installed it on my old LG Optimus V, a budget phone for Virgin Mobile with a 600mhz processor and it seems to be working without issues as well. Camera, bluetooth, WiFi, GPS etc all working. Amazing how much support such a POS phone like that gets. Again, not saying its fine for the Devs to not support their devices, just wanting users of these devices to know they can still get the update another way.

Oh and BTW

http://www.androidcentral.com/htc-says-desire-hd-still-getting-ics-refutes-reports-update-cancellation

awptical

Ya as I said the desire HD doesnt have a proper ICS, HTC hasnt delivered some of the things to the dev community.

Thats an old article HTC has officially said no ICS since then.

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 DroidPhysX
Member since 2010 • 17098 Posts

On a related note.

imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 imprezawrx500
The real problem appears to be all the phones made specifically for a certain carrier and then loaded with bloat. Verizon probably wouldn't approve a port from the incredible s without any bloat. Plus I'm sure the fact they use cdma doesn't help. American mobile companies seem to be half the problem with Android loading them with junk most people don't want. While you would hope they get updated it is understandable they only really update the flagship phones and you are far more likely to get the updates on a unlocked factory standard phone.
SoraX64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#16 SoraX64
Member since 2008 • 29221 Posts

On a related note.

DroidPhysX
I feel bad for anyone that bought the Bolt.
imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 imprezawrx500

if the 600mhz single core desire c can run ics how the heck can't the 1ghz desire hd? Really shows they just can't be bothered making it work well for old hardware.

edit

interesting I wonder how many people would be happy to loose everything on their phone for an offical ics update. Starting to sound like it may have some issues similar to the desire regarding lack of storage space. 1.5gb was a decent amount back then but not any more with few phone being released with less than 4gb now. Anyone happen to know how big ics + sense 3.6 is?

http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/28/htc-explains-decision-to-skip-android-4-0-for-desire-hd/

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Gambler_3

I am not buying it. If that is the reason then you know why not release a flashable rom for the advanced users?

The desire HD does not lack internal memory apparently it doesnt have enough of a system partition. The nexus S has a 512MB system parition btw and it never was an issue with an update.

imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 imprezawrx500
yeh but it isn't loaded with sense bloat, I'm sure all those widgets use a heap of memory. I think ics is bigger than gingerbread and many users wouldn't want all their stuff wiped with a reformat that would be required.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Gambler_3

yeh but it isn't loaded with sense bloat, I'm sure all those widgets use a heap of memory. I think ics is bigger than gingerbread and many users wouldn't want all their stuff wiped with a reformat that would be required. imprezawrx500
Nothing ever takes more than 512MB, if the desire HD system partition is less than 512MB then I can only laugh at the sheer incompetency of HTC in planning for the future of a phone. They did the same damn thing with HTC desire how can you not learn to leave headroom after one blunder.

carla52116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 carla52116
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
Yes it is really terrible. mobi ritz
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts
[QUOTE="carla52116"]Yes it is really terrible. mobi ritz

This is an old thread. Don't bump old threads. [spoiler] yes I know I'm probably talking to a bot. [/spoiler]