How do i move my apps to my sd card?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Richard093084

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Richard093084
Member since 2004 • 1876 Posts

i got a 16gb sd card for my phone i want to move the apps to the sd card itself but whenever i choose to move the app it moves it to the internal storage instead.

got the lg optimus elite if it helps any

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#2 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

How can it "move" to the internal storage when its already there to begin with? I looked up your phone it doesnt seem like it has 2 internal partitions does it? Because if your phone has an internal SD partition then you cannot move apps to an external SD card. Do you know what I am talking about?

Richard093084

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Richard093084
if im looking at this right it says the phone has 889.77 mb of its own space and 1.93 gb of internal storage. in addition to that i have a 16gb sd card installed but have no idea how to move them from the internal storage cause i have more than 2gb of stuff
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Gambler_3

if im looking at this right it says the phone has 889.77 mb of its own space and 1.93 gb of internal storage. in addition to that i have a 16gb sd card installed but have no idea how to move them from the internal storage cause i have more than 2gb of stuffRichard093084
Unfortuntaley you cant move them to SD card, you will have to get a new phone please return it if it's possible. You can only use the 3GB storage you have for apps.

Richard093084

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Richard093084
Ah OK so internal memory is just for apps and external is for pics and music what a bummer had phone too long too return but thanks for telling me
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Gambler_3

Ah OK so internal memory is just for apps and external is for pics and music what a bummer had phone too long too return but thanks for telling meRichard093084
Yes in future get a phone which has enough built-in memory to hold all your applications and games. Normally a 16GB phone with memory card slot is a very good combination.

On your current phone if you hold off from installing very big games and offline map applications then you should be able to have lots of apps in 3GB space.

Goran209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Goran209
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
you can. there's an application available called App2SD that will let you transfer your applications to your SD card. If you want to set your applications to automatically download to your SD and not to your internal memory you'll have to play with the SDK a little, let me know if you want help.
Richard093084

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Richard093084
[QUOTE="Goran209"]you can. there's an application available called App2SD that will let you transfer your applications to your SD card. If you want to set your applications to automatically download to your SD and not to your internal memory you'll have to play with the SDK a little, let me know if you want help.

Thats what I'm using and it moves them to the internal memory don't wanna get into all the technical stuff ill know to buy a phone with more space next time. Thanks
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Gambler_3

you can. there's an application available called App2SD that will let you transfer your applications to your SD card. If you want to set your applications to automatically download to your SD and not to your internal memory you'll have to play with the SDK a little, let me know if you want help.Goran209
You can only do that if the phone has no internal SD partition at all and relies on the external card for everything. But alas thats not the case with the TCs phone, its sad how phone manufacturers dont think this through. If you remove that extra 2GB space from the phone then people would actually be better off as they could use their external card for apps. There are phones that do this by only giving you 1GB total free space and people dont complain about space in those phones as they can just buy bigger SD cards.

There are still ways to get over this problem but they are far too complicated for the TC and for most users.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts
[QUOTE="Richard093084"][QUOTE="Goran209"]you can. there's an application available called App2SD that will let you transfer your applications to your SD card. If you want to set your applications to automatically download to your SD and not to your internal memory you'll have to play with the SDK a little, let me know if you want help.

Thats what I'm using and it moves them to the internal memory don't wanna get into all the technical stuff ill know to buy a phone with more space next time. Thanks

3GB is still plenty, most apps are only like 5mb
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Gambler_3

[QUOTE="Richard093084"][QUOTE="Goran209"]you can. there's an application available called App2SD that will let you transfer your applications to your SD card. If you want to set your applications to automatically download to your SD and not to your internal memory you'll have to play with the SDK a little, let me know if you want help.kraken2109

3GB is still plenty, most apps are only like 5mb

No there are games over 1GB now and they cannot use the SD card in that phone to store data. If he avoids playing those games then he has plenty of space.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Gambler_3

67159_10152129095220316_42110276_n.jpg

563933_10152129095410316_881682463_n.jpg

So basically I am using 3.6GB of apps. I only have one really huge game and thats max payne but now there are many other normal games as well which take over 100MB space so it all piles up.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 kraken2109
So basically I am using 3.6GB of apps. I only have one really huge game and thats max payne but now there are many other normal games as well which take over 100MB space so it all piles up.Gambler_3
Maybe i'm lucky then since my phone is too crap to play these massive games. I had no idea there were such big games on android.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Gambler_3

[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]So basically I am using 3.6GB of apps. I only have one really huge game and thats max payne but now there are many other normal games as well which take over 100MB space so it all piles up.kraken2109
Maybe i'm lucky then since my phone is too crap to play these massive games. I had no idea there were such big games on android.

And if you are interested in having offline maps then they are also going to use tons of space and they cannot be saved in the SD card either if there is already an internal partition.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 kraken2109

[QUOTE="kraken2109"][QUOTE="Gambler_3"]So basically I am using 3.6GB of apps. I only have one really huge game and thats max payne but now there are many other normal games as well which take over 100MB space so it all piles up.Gambler_3

And if you are interested in having offline maps then they are also going to use tons of space and they cannot be saved in the SD card either if there is already an internal partition.

What's the point of the internal partition? Seems to me all it does it stop you installing apps on the SD card which is a bad thing. Quick quesiton, does the original Galaxy S have this problem? I'm thinking of buying one cheap off a friend soon and running CM10
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Gambler_3

[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

[QUOTE="kraken2109"] Maybe i'm lucky then since my phone is too crap to play these massive games. I had no idea there were such big games on android.kraken2109

What's the point of the internal partition? Seems to me all it does it stop you installing apps on the SD card which is a bad thing. Quick quesiton, does the original Galaxy S have this problem? I'm thinking of buying one cheap off a friend soon and running CM10

Its just one of the most annoying things OEMs do to budget android phones and even to older flagships. They do it so they dont have to ship an SD card in the phone as those phones which dont have internal partition cant even use the camera without an SD card.

A phone should have atleast a 10GB internal partition I believe to avoid such bottlenecks. The 8GB galaxy S only has 3.5GB internal so ya it has this problem BUT since you are a power user you can get around this thing by changing partitions and all. Do read up on it I am not sure how it works out but there are threads trying to resolve this issue on xda. When the galaxy S was released it was not really an issue due to the size of games but now it is going to be. There is a 16GB version as well of galaxy S but I doubt your friend has that.

There is also the problem of people using cheap class 4 SD cards which brings lots of performance issues if you install apps on them.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 kraken2109

[QUOTE="kraken2109"][QUOTE="Gambler_3"]And if you are interested in having offline maps then they are also going to use tons of space and they cannot be saved in the SD card either if there is already an internal partition.

Gambler_3

Its just one of the most annoying things OEMs do to budget android phones and even to older flagships. They do it so they dont have to ship an SD card in the phone as those phones which dont have internal partition cant even use the camera without an SD card.

A phone should have atleast a 10GB internal partition I believe to avoid such bottlenecks. The 8GB galaxy S only has 3.5GB internal so ya it has this problem BUT since you are a power user you can get around this thing by changing partitions and all. Do read up on it I am not sure how it works out but there are threads trying to resolve this issue on xda. When the galaxy S was released it was not really an issue due to the size of games but now it is going to be. There is a 16GB version as well of galaxy S but I doubt your friend has that.

There is also the problem of people using cheap class 4 SD cards which brings lots of performance issues if you install apps on them.

Thanks, I'll investigate managing partitions.