Got my first Android and... What now?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gotdangit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 gotdangit
Member since 2005 • 8151 Posts

It's actually my first smartphone. I have unlimited data and texting and I was just wondering what are the best initial things to do? It's a Samsung Galaxy S2

I downloaded Pandora, and Angry Birds and Sound Hound (Is Shazam better?)

I was wondering what to do to keep battery life going and how maybe I can get some free music if possible? What are some good apps, don't really care about games.

I turned off all the things I'm not using like 4g and 3g, and turned the brightness down, and have a dark wallpaper.

I don't really know how to turn off apps or whatever. Deactivate them is something that can seem to be done?

It's a pretty awesome phone, I can't wait to start using it for real, because my numbe hasn't registered yet, but I can do a lot with just Wi-Fi!

gotdangit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 gotdangit

I'm looking at my I'm guessing App memory and it's only 2gb.

And all the rest of the stuff is 11mb. I thought I should have around 16gb of memory. What's up with this?

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

You have 12GB until JB update, then 11GB.

Anyways, try these,

TuneIn Radio

Handcent SMS

Chrome/Dolphin

Drive/Dropbox

ES File Explorer

History Eraser

My Tracks (if you travel a lot)

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts
Here are some programs i have installed Soundhound is great and giving $1 to buy the full version worth it Tune in Radio Google currents Dolphin browser Convert pad Win-remote kies air ( you can view your phone contents on your browser by just entering an address as long as both pc and mobile are on the same wifi network ) pocket stumble upon ( though is a bit laggy ) imdb MxPlayer
gotdangit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 gotdangit

So I'm not sure if my number transferred over but I just paid for some service on my phone. I paid to activate it and it's been about 20 minutes and I'm not able to do anything... I can't text or call or use data.

Am I supposed to wait longer, I assumed it would be almost immediate. IT didn't tell me how long it would take.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

So I'm not sure if my number transferred over but I just paid for some service on my phone. I paid to activate it and it's been about 20 minutes and I'm not able to do anything... I can't text or call or use data.

Am I supposed to wait longer, I assumed it would be almost immediate. IT didn't tell me how long it would take.

gotdangit
If they're porting your number that can take days, though generally around 5-8 hours.
gotdangit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 gotdangit

[QUOTE="gotdangit"]

Fightingfan

If they're porting your number that can take days, though generally around 5-8 hours.

Thanks, the guy yesterday said that they were routing over the new number last night. At like 9pm. I figured it worked because he told me to reset the activation and I didn't even get that option...

I also got an e-mail saying that all I need to do is pay a fee and I should be able to use it, but it might take 4 hours (but usually much quicker) to use voicemail and check downloads....

gmaster456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 gmaster456
Member since 2008 • 7569 Posts
Have you tried restarting the phone? That's what I had to do to complete my set up. As for apps, I don't keep much installed.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#9 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

Flipboard is my most frequently used app.

I would highly recommend you to try the nova launcher. There is a free version and a paid version. Get the free version first to see how it goes.

You will lose samsung weather widget by using a different launcher so for that I recommend beautiful widgets.

I would also recommend swiftkey 3 keyboard, there is a free one month trail before you will have to purchase it.