Google needs to stop new phones being released running gingerbread

This topic is locked from further discussion.

imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts

ICS has been out what 7 or 8 months now yet so many new phones are still running gingerbread why?

Galxy ace 2 running 2.3

Galaxy s advance 2.3

Xperia p 2.3

Xperia U 2.3

Xperia S only just got 4.0

I could go on and on, any phone from this year should be running ics

If htc can have ics on all their phones including the budget desire c why can't samsung and sony? This is the problem with Android so many maunfacters just wont put the latest software on. You get a great experence when you have the latest software but there are so many good new phones out there not running it people don't realise what the latest android really is.

Nice to see the L series of phones from LG has ics.

verbtex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 verbtex  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9196 Posts

I don't think Google has the power to stop people from releasing phones with Gingerbread as Android is an Open Source code.

From Gingerbread to Ice Cream Sandwich is a huge jump, and all those manufacturers probably haven't figured out how to get their skins to transfer yet, which is why we aren't going to see many phones with ICS. Until the manufacturers perfect their skins, we probably won't see many ICS phones.

imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 imprezawrx500
yeah but Samsung has no excuses as touch wise is running on the s3 yet they don't release it on any other phones, obviously they just want you to buy the s3 and don't really care about anything else. If HTC and LG have had new phones running ics for months why does it take sony and samsung so long?
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#4 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts
Ah hang on a minute before you praise lg and HTC. Some of htcs 2011 phones are still waiting for ics whereas all of sonys old phones have been updated. While I agree it is ridiculous that Sony's latest phones are running gb but they will be updated shortly at least they didn't just forget about the old customers. Nothing would be more upsetting for a desire HD incredible s owners to see HTC releasing desire c before giving them ics. Now as for lg? Well dude they haven't even updated their flagship optimus 2X lg is a joke a company. And Samsung? Well it is unfortunate how little they seem to care about the mid end now. Maybe they are getting arrogant as I remember even low end Samsung phones got gb back in the day. Not cool sammy!!
semianonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 semianonymous
Member since 2007 • 6685 Posts

If HTC and LG have had new phones running ics for months why does it take sony and samsung so long? imprezawrx500

LG has the worst ratio of ICS devices to GB devices of any major manufacturer. Just throwing that out.

Secondly, 2.3 to 4.0 was an enormous leap. It took community rom developers longer than average to fully functional ICS builds (hell, most phones aren't at final release yet), so the ever slower manufacturers and carriers had more work to do, more testing to do and probably more arbitrary hoops to jump through. I'm not justifying it or saying its alright because of that. I'm explaining it.

thirdly, Google can't stop people from building an android 2.3 (or 1.0 for that matter) phone without pulling the source, and that basically violates androids principle. I don't think that would really stop people anyways, maybe just slow them down.

imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 imprezawrx500
Yes i know many old phones are not running ics but that's not as bad as releasing new phones with the latest software. Really all phones from the last two years should have ics unless maybe the budget phones that can't really run it.