Did I get ripped off buying the samsung galaxy tab 2 7.0?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

I bought this tablet recently and was really enjoying it, but then the Nexus 7 was announced. The Nexus 7 is faster, cheaper, better for gaming, etc. Sure the nexus 7 doesn't have a rear camera or a storage expansion slot, but the rear camera is not a big deal for me and the expansion slot does not allow apps to be installed to the card.

I feel like I got a bad deal with my tablet, does anyone with the same or similar device feel the same?

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 mystic_knight
Member since 2003 • 13801 Posts
I felt the galaxy tab 2 was a failure on arrival device, there were tablets better than that as soon as it got launched eg, the transformer pad tf300 and transformer prime. The samsung tablet range have all been mediocre bar the galaxy tab 7.7, and the nexus 7 gives the 7.7 very good run for its money and in some respect surpasses it. But you have bought it and there is nothing you can really do.
mjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 mjc  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 12723 Posts

I have the Galaxy Tab 7.7 and while I would have preferred a Nexus 7 type of tablet at the time, I know the price I paid for the Galaxy Tab was acceptable and I still paid for those features even though I may not have wanted them all - there just wans't any other options here in Australia (not even the Kindle Fire).

I don't think you should feel ripped off if it's doing what you want and you're enjoying it. That's just the world of tech - buy something and months later see a massive price drop or something better for cheaper! *thinks back to the PS3 launch and regrets buying it at the AU$1,000 price tag only to see it drop by $300 months later...sob*

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#4 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

All that you should ever concern yourself with is if you made the right decision at the time you bought something. :)

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mystic_knight

I have the Galaxy Tab 7.7 and while I would have preferred a Nexus 7 type of tablet at the time, I know the price I paid for the Galaxy Tab was acceptable and I still paid for those features even though I may not have wanted them all - there just wans't any other options here in Australia (not even the Kindle Fire).

I don't think you should feel ripped off if it's doing what you want and you're enjoying it. That's just the world of tech - buy something and months later see a massive price drop or something better for cheaper! *thinks back to the PS3 launch and regrets buying it at the AU$1,000 price tag only to see it drop by $300 months later...sob*

mjc

The PS3 was probably one of the few choices i never regretted, the original 60gb version was the greatest and still is the best ps3 available till now. In the mobile/tablet world, you need to get top tier to be happy with your purchases. The longevity of a device is determined by the stance it has upon launch. Eg. the One X and the GS3 will be very well supported devices.

As mj and gambler said, if you are happy with your device thats great, but out of curiosity what lead you to choose the galaxy tab 2?

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

[QUOTE="mjc"]

mystic_knight

The PS3 was probably one of the few choices i never regretted, the original 60gb version was the greatest and still is the best ps3 available till now. In the mobile/tablet world, you need to get top tier to be happy with your purchases. The longevity of a device is determined by the stance it has upon launch. Eg. the One X and the GS3 will be very well supported devices.

As mj and gambler said, if you are happy with your device thats great, but out of curiosity what lead you to choose the galaxy tab 2?

The galaxy tab 2 was considered one of the best budget tablets. It was far superior to the Blackberry playbook and managed to best the kindle fire in terms of hardware and features. I picked it because I knew it was the best I could buy for 200-250$.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Gambler_3

I recommended the tab 2 7.0 to a friend before the nexus 7 came, it is clearly superior to the kindle fire and any other budget tablet as far as I was concerned. And I dont agree you need top tier stuff to be happy, it's all about your expectations and needs.

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mystic_knight

[QUOTE="mystic_knight"]

[QUOTE="mjc"]

JangoWuzHere

The galaxy tab 2 was considered one of the best budget tablets. It was far superior to the Blackberry playbook and managed to best the kindle fire in terms of hardware and features. I picked it because I knew it was the best I could buy for 200-250$.

If it was a budget tablet purchase you made then live with no regrets. You did make the right decision. But if you went because of brand recognition instead of performance, only then would it have been in vain. I would easily recommend the galaxy tab 2 over the kindle fire and playbook. @gambler - I more outlined the longevity of top tier stuff is more prevalent. Happiness is always present when you buy a new cool gadget, but you may feel less shafted buying the best. Heck, my dad was happy when we got him the ipad 2 and he had the sony tablet s (worst android tablet ever). The ipad 2 was already outdated thanks to iPad 2012 but it was still a great device to him.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Gambler_3

I always felt that when one is on a budget they should first define what features they want minimum and then look for the cheapest product that can give that. This way you are going to be happy with your device no matter what else comes out. Whereas if you set yourself a strict budget and then look for the best thing within that, you may end up with something that doesnt fulfill all your minimum requirements and thus when better budget products come you are going to feel a bit bad.

semianonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 semianonymous
Member since 2007 • 6685 Posts

Does it do everything you want it to do (y/n)

Do you have any particular issues with it (y/n)

is there something the nexus 7 does overwhelming better (y/n)

is that something a critical need for you (y/n)

chances are, you wont answer yes to any of those. The Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 is a perfectly fine tablet that will fill your needs. I would know--I still have my first gen tab 7.0 and HP touchpad, hardly market leaders in anything, but so far, theres nothing out there that overwhelmingly beats them so badly that they feel obsolete and worthless

gmaster456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 gmaster456
Member since 2008 • 7569 Posts
You shouldn't feel ripped off. Something newer, better, cheaper is always around the corner. As long as your happy with your device leave it at that and enjoy it. You still have a extremely capable tablet with endless possibilities of what you can use it for.
Avatar image for LstDrivenMchine
LstDrivenMchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#12 LstDrivenMchine
Member since 2010 • 149 Posts
Got sales-talked, huh.? I wouldn't say you were ripped off but they're always coming up with new and better tablets, it's almost hard to stay with the best. Just think it could be worse....you could have been stuck with a tablet made in China, depending how could the salesperson was.