Dear Windows Phone users

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Celsius765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Celsius765
Member since 2005 • 2417 Posts

I'm considering either windows phone or iphone, seeing as android has it's hiccups when it comes to security and system updates. As far as updates go are you guaranteed every update no matter what phone you have, because I just want a sturdy phone that'll last me a great number of years and can you tell me about your experience with the Lumia 1020 if you guys have one. Is it brighter than the 520, I saw that model in store the screen was rather dim on max settings. Also is the windows experience pure on each windows phone, I wanna avoid OS reskins they tend to hinder or nullify chances of updates

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@Celsius765:

Have you heard of Nexus or Google Play Edition phones? that's a legitimate question, they get updated by google, not manufacturers.

W10 mobile is coming next year, the phones that are out now may not be able to handle the upgrade depending on how the OS turns out, similar to iOS8 on a 4s.

Celsius765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Celsius765

@GTR12: I've heard of them well the nexus phones anyway but i hear you may still end up waiting weeks even on a nexus phone. I'm just wanna get a decent phone that's not a reskin of android, those phones are not guaranteed an update and I don't like having to buy a new phone just to get the latest update

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@Celsius765:

And the other stuff I said?

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

If you like Windows Phone, then go for it! The Lumia 1020 has the best camera hands down and its updated to the latest firmware (Cyan) as its updated to Windows Phone 8.1, otherwise your other option is to wait and if Microsoft does plan to release the 1020 successor that's rumored to come out by the end of this year.

Celsius765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Celsius765

@GTR12: depends on what they make for the w10 OS, I gotta be honest some of those nokia phones are ugly but functional

Celsius765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Celsius765

@FireEmblem_Man: new phone? what have you heard is it gonna have the same large protruding camera?

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 FireEmblem_Man

@Celsius765 said:

@FireEmblem_Man: new phone? what have you heard is it gonna have the same large protruding camera?

I'm taking this article with a grain of salt, but it should come soon.

Celsius765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Celsius765

@Davidwilliam06: I considered it but they're really expensive, I'm still on the fence I may either get an iphone or buy a nexus 5

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By FireEmblem_Man

@Davidwilliam06 said:

Hello! From personal experiences with a Lumia, I can confirm that they are mostly pretty deceiving and I made a big mistake by purchasing a Lumia 800. It might be sturdy, but it had awful features and the worst of all was its camera. I suggest you go for an iPhone, mate, you will not regret your investment! All the best!

You had a Lumia 800 which was a Windows Phone 7 OS, It's a lot different now than it is today as Nokia are still the company with the best camera and comes close against apple in terms of camera software. Windows Phone 7 was a app developer nightmare as it was using an old kernal from the Windows CE days. Now, they use the NT Framework hybrid that is more compatible and easier to develop. Windows 10 will also have the same framework from Windows Phone 8 and will be able to support Windows Phone 8 devices.

stefanteodosic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12 stefanteodosic
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

I have Lumia 725 now, after a year of using Lumia 720. Bigger screen and HD resolution. Also, quad-core processor. Fast and reliable phone with great camera and battery life. Much better than Android phones, although I must admit that I miss several apps - but not too much.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@Celsius765: This post is a bit older but I have the Lumia 1020 and the screen and camera are both amazing. However, if you are looking for a new phone I would probably skip this one at this point because while it's pretty fast it has an older Snapdragon CPU than the latest models so it will not support the new Denim update that brings the option of an "Always On" Cortanna (can be activated with voice only) and some revisions to the camera software to make it much more responsive. The "phablet" 1520 and the 930 models are the only Lumias with the new chip, albeit at the cost of a 20MP camera instead of the crazy high MP camera on the 1020. They may eventually come out with an updated 1020 but right now nothing like that has been announced.

-Byshop