ARM's Mali-T604 Debut [56k]

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by NVIDIATI (7640 posts) -

Mali-T604 debut:http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/07/arm-mali-t604-hands-on/

"ARM says its working with eight manufacturers to get the licensed tech to market as early as Q3."

"What we do know is that we were looking at a quad-core Mali-T604 and dual-core ARM Cortex-A15 processor"

"Clock speed is also TBD, and the early silicon on demo at the show wasn't operating anywhere close to its top end."

DNP ARM's MaliT604 makes its official device debut, we get a first look at the nextgen GPU handson video

No benchmarks just yet, but expect it to be even better than the Adreno 320.

#2 Posted by mystic_knight (13801 posts) -
No doubt it will supercede the adreno, but when will it launch is the more interesting story, if its with in a month of each other ok, but if its more than that it may be too long for people to wait.
#3 Posted by flip_0 (2 posts) -
Mali is beast. Lot better than adreno. Hope it would have been feature in galaxy s3
#4 Posted by Gambler_3 (7548 posts) -

Mali is beast. Lot better than adreno. Hope it would have been feature in galaxy s3flip_0
The international S3 is already a beast what more do you want???

#5 Posted by NVIDIATI (7640 posts) -

[QUOTE="flip_0"]Mali is beast. Lot better than adreno. Hope it would have been feature in galaxy s3Gambler_3

It just uses an improved Mali-400 and there is no OpenGL ES 3.0 support. The Adreno 320 is still a fair bit more powerful than the S3 international. The T604 should be the jump we've been waiting for.

#6 Posted by Gambler_3 (7548 posts) -

[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

[QUOTE="flip_0"]Mali is beast. Lot better than adreno. Hope it would have been feature in galaxy s3NVIDIATI

It just uses an improved Mali-400 and there is no OpenGL ES 3.0 support. The Adreno 320 is still a fair bit more powerful than the S3 international. The T604 should be the jump we've been waiting for.

Whats the point? The S3 is the most powerful smartphone and I am sure no game utilizes it anyways.

GPU is one of the last things to complain about the S3, it's pretty significantly faster than S2's GPU which is all that matters.

#7 Posted by NVIDIATI (7640 posts) -

[QUOTE="NVIDIATI"]

[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]The international S3 is already a beast what more do you want???

Gambler_3

Whats the point? The S3 is the most powerful smartphone and I am sure no game utilizes it anyways.

GPU is one of the last things to complain about the S3, it's pretty significantly faster than S2's GPU which is all that matters.

It has no support for OpenGL ES 3.0, OpenCL 1.1, DirectX 11 or Renderscript.

#8 Posted by Gambler_3 (7548 posts) -

[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

[QUOTE="NVIDIATI"] It just uses an improved Mali-400 and there is no OpenGL ES 3.0 support. The Adreno 320 is still a fair bit more powerful than the S3 international. The T604 should be the jump we've been waiting for.

NVIDIATI

You really think all that is gonna result in better games for android?

#9 Posted by NVIDIATI (7640 posts) -

[QUOTE="NVIDIATI"]

[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]Whats the point? The S3 is the most powerful smartphone and I am sure no game utilizes it anyways.

Gambler_3

You really think all that is gonna result in better games for android?

Of course. Some of the demos shown are using OpenGL ES 3.0 things such as depth of field and self shadowing, or OpenCL 1.1 showing improved physics and HDR lighting. You'll most defiantly see a difference, OpenGL ES 2.0 has been around for a very long time (2007/2008 release) this is the next big update.

To get a taste of what's going to be offered take a look at the video in the link in my first post.

There's also the new benchmark for OpenGL ES 3.0: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yc_wgf2UksA (EDIT: that video was an older version, this is the new version)

Obviously a game will look more refined than a benchmark, but the technology is there.

#10 Posted by Gambler_3 (7548 posts) -

That looks promising indeed lets hope devs do a good job taking advantage of the potential.

My biggest concern regarding mobile gaming is still controls but I suppose that would be off topic for this thread so lets leave it for another day. :P

#11 Posted by NVIDIATI (7640 posts) -

That looks promising indeed lets hope devs do a good job taking advantage of the potential.

My biggest concern regarding mobile gaming is still controls but I suppose that would be off topic for this thread so lets leave it for another day. :P

Gambler_3

Well touchscreen controls can most defiantly be an issue, but with NFC becoming more and more popular I'm sure we'll see enough controller add-ons into the future.

#12 Posted by NVIDIATI (7640 posts) -
#13 Posted by blacktorn (8299 posts) -
I wonder what the difference is going to be between openes 3.0 and directx 9 for upcoming windows 8 phones/tablets. I'm personal planning to invest in a no compromise windows 8 tablet in October but am wondering what the differences in graphics the same chips are going to have under directx technology and open es 3,i would guess directx will be superior as it always has been against the open graphic standard api's
#14 Posted by Gambler_3 (7548 posts) -

With this sort of advancements I think tablets with controller support are going to be very serious gaming products. A phones screen is just too small for "serious" gaming in my opinion.

#15 Posted by ronvalencia (15109 posts) -

Mali is beast. Lot better than adreno. Hope it would have been feature in galaxy s3flip_0
Galaxy S3 I9300 has quad Mali 400s.

#16 Posted by Kaszilla (1718 posts) -
When will phones surpass consoles in power?
#17 Posted by Gambler_3 (7548 posts) -

When will phones surpass consoles in power?Kaszilla
Never as long as console market is alive and releasing new powerful products every 5 years.

#18 Posted by Kaszilla (1718 posts) -

[QUOTE="Kaszilla"]When will phones surpass consoles in power?Gambler_3

Never as long as console market is alive and releasing new powerful products every 5 years.

I mean current Gen.