Apple -- Actually Concerned about Security

#1 Posted by musicalmac (23036 posts) -

Unlike Google, Apple takes security very seriously. In a recent article, a security researcher presented Apple with criticism due to undocumented 'backdoor' services that he theorized were used (or could be used) to send data to sources without the user's permission.

Forensic scientist and author Jonathan Zdziarski has posted the slides(PDF) from his talk at the Hackers On Planet Earth (HOPE/X) conference in New York called Identifying Backdoors, Attack Points, and Surveillance Mechanisms in iOS Devices.

Credit ZDNet

I was quite skeptical that this was the case considering the size and fervor of the microscope under which Apple lives, and so I waited -- and my patience was rewarded with a response from Apple.

As listed in the support document, Apple goes over three iOS services, explaining how they work and why they exist, possibly in an attempt to address accusations that it installs backdoor services in cahoots with government agencies looking to surveil device owners.

In the support document, Apple addresses three of these services — coincidentally listed in the same order as presented by Zdziarski in his slide deck — explaining how each works and its intended use as a diagnostics tool for developers or IT professionals.

"As we have said before, Apple has never worked with any government agency from any country to create a backdoor in any of our products of services," Apple said.

Credit AppleInsider

The list Apple addresses can be found in the credit link.

That's how you address privacy concerns and that's how you build an operating system from the ground up to serve the greatest needs your end users have. This is the kind of action I can respect and this is the kind of well-thought out construction I can respect, and that sort of construction takes time.

The more we learn about android, the more clear it becomes that it was a mindless, quickly produced copy of a much better foundational operating system.

#2 Edited by slimdogmilionar (562 posts) -

@musicalmac said:

The more we learn about android, the more clear it becomes that it was a mindless, quickly produced copy of a much better foundational operating system.

True and perfect closing statement, I initially got into android because of the ease of developing and the GPL encouraged developers to share ideas and allow for the system to grow faster. Now after years of tinkering with android I see all of the gimmicks and tricks Google use to trick people and realized you are safer with a rooted phone than an unrooted one, and look forward to the end of my contract so I can snatch me an iphone 6.

#3 Posted by FireEmblem_Man (8774 posts) -

Well yeah, Apple should worry about security since their products are popular and that's just waiting for hackers to find loopholes around iOS to still info and data. At least Apple is smart to keep watch malicious apps from their store and prevent users from downloading them.