Android has come a long way in gaming!!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

User Lists: 0

#1 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

I have always been extremely satisfied with gaming on my phone, there are always more games to play than I have time for. It has always been suggested that iphone has better games so I decided to do this little comparison.

I looked at the top 25 games on iOS and 17 of them are available on android, all the top 5 games are on android btw. There is this one developer donut games whose 5 games comprise those 8 games which arent on android so basically it seems just one major developer thats not properly supporting android yet. However now that I look at the top 25 android games, 3 of them are not available on iOS so it isnt as one sided as you would think.

Now let me get to the interesting part. 10 of those 17 games on android have a full version available(not lite version) for free whereas all those games are only available with paid versions on iOS. Now I know ads on a phone are really annoying and removing ads by rooting the phone is hardly fair. But the way I see it the purpose of the free version is to act as an unlimited demo of the game, you can buy the game to get rid of ads anytime you feel this game really is worth it. Dont think it's worth it? You just saved a couple of $. People always say how cheap iOS games are compared to PSP games so if people have to remain consistent this thing has to be acknowledged as an advantage.

Now you say there is a world outside of the top 25 top 50 stuff? Well sure but not for the majority of people not for me. I hardly get time to keep up with the "top" games, you can call me a casual mobile gamer I certainly dont really enjoy hardcore games on my phone and neither do I have so much time for mobile gaming that I will be searching deep for more games.

For the very hardcore gamer you have emulators which are perfectly legal and available on the play store. The only real advantage iOS still has is gaming compatibility but guess what? That also has everything to do with the hardcore games like my own phone is compatible with all the 17 games in question. However even for hardcore games I dont think the galaxy S2 or galaxy nexus are incompatible with any.

It seems obvious that the iOS crowd is also mainly into the casual games dont think that many people care about playing GTA3 or max payne on their phones. And talking about graphics my father has an iphone 4S, I see no real difference in the casual games if any at all. Certainly much of the biggest games arent really taking advantage of the A5 chipset so the unification argument seems a bit over rated.

verbtex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 verbtex  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9196 Posts

Just a tip, to legally disable ads on the free version of an app, just enablr airplane mode. Sure you won't get any calls, emails, or text messages, but you have the advantage of having no ads.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#3 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

Just a tip, to legally disable ads on the free version of an app, just enablr airplane mode. Sure you won't get any calls, emails, or text messages, but you have the advantage of having no ads.

verbtex

Nah man there is an easier way, just disable wifi and/or mobile data. I have quick toggles for both in my notification tray. :)

However talking about "legal" the ad-blocker app is available through the play store, surely google would have kicked it out if it was "illegal". It's just morally questionable thing to use just for the purpose of not having to buy apps.

mjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 mjc  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 12723 Posts

There's two iPads and two Android tablets floating around my house and the 7-inch Samsung is the preferred gaming machine given its size and weight. However, the issue I have is there's a number of old and new games aren't compatible with it (Sonic 4 Ep 1 isn't, but Sonic 4 Ep 2 is???).I recently pre-ordered the Nexus 7 and plan to use that as a media tablet to throw around the house for anyone to pick up to read/play with, but I've now read that many games won't be compatible with Jelly Bean.

I'm thinking we'll let our "new" iPad take this role (Nexus 7 can have a nice home as a toilet e-reader or something), as I can't say I've come across this issue with iOS, as long as you have the latest hardware. I'll put this down to Android fragmentation and I think it's still one of their biggest hurdles.

awptical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 awptical
Member since 2003 • 844 Posts

There's two iPads and two Android tablets floating around my house and the 7-inch Samsung is the preferred gaming machine given its size and weight. However, the issue I have is there's a number of old and new games aren't compatible with it (Sonic 4 Ep 1 isn't, but Sonic 4 Ep 2 is???).I recently pre-ordered the Nexus 7 and plan to use that as a media tablet to throw around the house for anyone to pick up to read/play with, but I've now read that many games won't be compatible with Jelly Bean.

I'm thinking we'll let our "new" iPad take this role (Nexus 7 can have a nice home as a toilet e-reader or something), as I can't say I've come across this issue with iOS, as long as you have the latest hardware. I'll put this down to Android fragmentation and I think it's still one of their biggest hurdles.

mjc
I'm running JellyBean on my Galaxy Nexus and all my games run perfectly. GTA 3, Mass Effect, Dead Space, Amazing Spiderman, Nova 3, MC 3 and so on. Apps will be updated just as they were for ICS.
mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 mystic_knight
Member since 2003 • 13801 Posts
:P A toilet e-reader, thats cool lol. I decided to not get the asus nexus 7, i pulled out just as i was about to pay. I have an amazing phone that plays most games, and i have a Macbook air 13", i found no place for a tablet in between, I still have dad's iPad if i want to use it, but till now i have never needed to, nor do i think i ever shall. I might buy a new mattress for my bed instead :P
mjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 mjc  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 12723 Posts
[QUOTE="mjc"]

awptical
I'm running JellyBean on my Galaxy Nexus and all my games run perfectly. GTA 3, Mass Effect, Dead Space, Amazing Spiderman, Nova 3, MC 3 and so on. Apps will be updated just as they were for ICS.

I hope so. As I said, I'm using a Galaxy Tab 7.7 w/ Honeycomb and there's a bunch of games not comptible for download. The one's I have run perfectly like you, of course. But that's not my point.