A suggestion for android manufactures

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Hypereagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Hypereagle
Member since 2005 • 288 Posts
I think it's a common notion that the true geeks of the android community (me included) hates manufacture skins on android. How ever this is because we don't like how we are mandated to have these skins but even if we download a new launcher we are still stock With the modded status bar modded dialer and any other modded application. This is annoying On the other hand some people do like these skins. Maybe because of the organization in the launchers and easier to use features. This is why I came up with an idea for all the android manufactures to put in place. Only sell your phones with stock android have an icon (bloat ware) right on the first desktop with the name of there own custom launcher. That will take you to the download page for that specific launcher on android market. Download it for free, and then charge 1.00 for the widget pack or 1.00 for a wallpaper pack any way you look at it this will make more money for the companies. I recently decided not to get a phone primarily because of its launcher and I really never want to go through that again.
UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 UssjTrunks
Member since 2005 • 11299 Posts

You can root your phone to get rid of OEM skins.

I agree though, and it's one of the main reasons I went with a Nexus phone. I find that all the OEM skins are hideous. I'm not sure if charging money for widget packs is a good idea. However, HTC would make boatloads of money off of its weather and clock widget. Despite being an ugly waste of space, everyone seems to want it. People without Sense whine about not having that widget all the time.

Note that I don't like the stock Android skins either. They're just as ugly as the OEM skins. Custom launchers and themes are so much better than anything the manufacturers, including Google, can churn out.

SoraX64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 SoraX64
Member since 2008 • 29221 Posts
You don't buy an HTC because you hate Sense. You don't buy a Samsung because you hate TouchWiz. I am a huge Android enthusiast, I follow development for many different phones, I read many different news sites, and I plan on foraying into the world of development once I've learned a bit more. That being said, I do not hate OEM skins. Why is that? Because they are ALWAYS optional. Sure, you buy the phone and it's sitting there waiting for you. Sense hogs memory and battery, and Motoblur is just hated by many people. But you don't have to keep it. Also, the skins provide an extra source of development. Having everyone developing upon AOSP code would end up being boring... but with OEM skins, you always have a choice. On my OG Evo, I have the options of running Sense, GB AOSP, ICS AOSP, Motoblur, whatever it is that Sony uses on their phones, and some tablet UI's. That is a LOT of options. That's something for everyone. Sense can be themed, modded, changed, adjusted, redefined, and so much more. Each different skin has its own special features and quirks and secrets. Features found in skins have been adapted to be used elsewhere, in vanilla Android. Sense, before ICS, offered a MUCH better integration of contacts to apps, leaps and bounds ahead of GB Android. The OEM skins encouraged social media, and now look at Ice Cream Sandwich and its focus on connectivity. I have, right in front of me, an OG Evo and an Evo 3D. Both came out of the box running HTC Sense, the OG Evo running 2.1 and the Evo 3D running 2.3.4. The OG Evo ran Sense 1.0 while the 3D ran Sense 3.0. On my OG Evo, I was able to use Sense 1.0, Sense 2.1, Sense 3.0, and Sense 3.5. On my 3D I've run 3.0, 3.5, and 3.6 (with ICS). I've also run AOSP, and Cyanogenmod, and MIUI, on both of them. Without HTC Sense, I would have used Cyanogenmod 6 and 7 almost exclusively, missing out on tons of options and features that wouldn't be found in Android until Ice Cream Sandwich. It's time to stop complaining about OEM skins. They are a way of making a phone unique to a company. To even a person with moderate knowledge of Android, they are simply an option that you can choose not to take. With most phones, a simple five minute process and a couple of downloads are all it takes to be rid of the skin forever. For people that like it, the option is always there. There's no reason to ship all phones stock Android with an option to add a skin when it's working so well the way it is. Your suggestion is to have to pay MORE money for features the OEMs intended to include in the first place. Android didn't just evolve because Google and Co. added to the source code. It evolved because OEMs stepped up to the plate and made it appealing to the masses. Google didn't just pull every new feature of ICS out of its ass.
semianonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 semianonymous
Member since 2007 • 6685 Posts

wordsSoraX64

Heres whats wrong with all this

-Most people don't have even a rudamentary knowledge in rooting or even custom launchers

-OEM skins are, objectively speaking, more resource intensive than stock android. This creates an inconsistent and unfriendly experience

-OEM modification slows android updates. Its not a far claim to put the majority of the fault regarding android fragmentation firmly at the feet of the OEMs

The last reason alone is evidence enough that OEM skins are bad and should be stopped or controlled

SoraX64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SoraX64

[QUOTE="SoraX64"]wordssemianonymous

-Most people don't have even a rudamentary knowledge in rooting or even custom launchers

-OEM skins are, objectively speaking, more resource intensive than stock android. This creates an inconsistent and unfriendly experience

-OEM modification slows android updates. Its not a far claim to put the majority of the fault regarding android fragmentation firmly at the feet of the OEMs

The last reason alone is evidence enough that OEM skins are bad and should be stopped or controlled

A user who doesn't know about rooting doesn't care about how the resources are being used. I've never seen someone complain that "Sense takes up too much RAM" who hasn't known how to root. The same goes for Android updates. 95% of the users wouldn't even know the difference between Froyo and Gingerbread, and most of them won't even know what ICS is until they eventually use it. Skins are good for uneducated end users because they provide the functionality that those types of users require. Power users like you and myself are given more freedoms and so we know that using a skin both slows the phone and the upgrade schedule. Of the thousands upon thousands of Android devices sold every day, many people will not even be familiar with the term "rooting" and they will never complain about the skin that their OEM of choice applied to Android. They'll just use the phone. The people who know what they're using will stop and say "I'm okay with the resources this skin takes up because I like how it looks/feels/runs and the features are nice." or "I would rather choose to have more available to me at any given time, so I'll install something closer to vanilla Android."
Xeogua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Xeogua
Member since 2010 • 1542 Posts

I don't think you should have to download the OEM skins, the should come on the phone, but there should be an option somehwere on the phone to get rid of the skin and go to stock android and vice versa. I actually like Blur on the Razr, and I've downloade Go Launcher, I've themed my phone, and yet I still go back to stock because I like the way it looks and it runs smoother than with a custom launcher, to me at least.

Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

[QUOTE="semianonymous"]

[QUOTE="SoraX64"]wordsSoraX64

A user who doesn't know about rooting doesn't care about how the resources are being used. I've never seen someone complain that "Sense takes up too much RAM" who hasn't known how to root. The same goes for Android updates. 95% of the users wouldn't even know the difference between Froyo and Gingerbread, and most of them won't even know what ICS is until they eventually use it. Skins are good for uneducated end users because they provide the functionality that those types of users require. Power users like you and myself are given more freedoms and so we know that using a skin both slows the phone and the upgrade schedule. Of the thousands upon thousands of Android devices sold every day, many people will not even be familiar with the term "rooting" and they will never complain about the skin that their OEM of choice applied to Android. They'll just use the phone. The people who know what they're using will stop and say "I'm okay with the resources this skin takes up because I like how it looks/feels/runs and the features are nice." or "I would rather choose to have more available to me at any given time, so I'll install something closer to vanilla Android."

I'm sorry, but why even buy a phone if you know the stock UI/modified OS suck? Unless you can get the hardware at a discount and then place your custom ROMs on it, I don't see the point.

I tried the rooting and maybe because I have a phone (Droid 2) that has a very small ROM community, but I find the whole process tedious. OEMs should at least give phone users an option to have vanilla Android without having to void their warranty/contract.

SoraX64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SoraX64

I'm sorry, but why even buy a phone if you know the stock UI/modified OS suck? Unless you can get the hardware at a discount and then place your custom ROMs on it, I don't see the point.

I tried the rooting and maybe because I have a phone (Droid 2) that has a very small ROM community, but I find the whole process tedious. OEMs should at least give phone users an option to have vanilla Android without having to void their warranty/contract.

Cwagmire21
It seems that you misunderstood my post. -If you don't like the OEM skin on a phone but you like its hardware, you can buy it and just run AOSP. If Moto phones were unlocked, I would buy one and never use Blur, I would just run AOSP. Good hardware makes the phone for me. -My post refers to those who aren't well versed in the Android world. 8 out of 10 people who have Android phones don't care about their skin overlay. I'm willing to bet that many of them wouldn't even know the name of the skin. -If you buy a phone with a poor development community and you don't like the OEM skin, then return the phone and get a new one or deal with your choice.
cocohuang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 cocohuang
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
I agree with your idea