2 new Mid-Range Windows Phone coming!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

Right now there are leaks but MS does plan on announcing 2 new Lumia phones next month and now there is a Rumor that Verizon Wireless will carry the Lumia 830 and ATT carrying the 730. No word if both handsets are exclusive, but chances are both models will be release for all carriers.

Here are some rumored specs for the 830

• 4.5-inch 720P display
  • 20.1 MP PureView camera
  • Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1
  • Micro SD

No word on the 730 specs, but chances are it will have at least 1 GB of RAM and will be a "selfie" phone with a front facing camera of 5MP with Carl Zeiss lens

Link

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#2 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

What's the purpose of these mid-tier phones? Just more affordable options?

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By FireEmblem_Man

@musicalmac said:

Well, yeah! You think everyone can afford an iPhone?

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By musicalmac  Moderator

@FireEmblem_Man said:

@musicalmac said:

Well I think that depends very much on the deals available in the region we're talking about. In the United States, an iPhone is available for 99USD on-contract (or 1 dollar -- that's what my friend and his wife both paid for their iPhone 5c on-contract). That seems pretty affordable.

That's why I ask.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 FireEmblem_Man

@musicalmac said:

@FireEmblem_Man said:

@musicalmac said:

Well I think that depends very much on the deals available in the region we're talking about. In the United States, an iPhone is available for 99USD on-contract (or 1 dollar -- that's what my friend and his wife both paid for their iPhone 5c on-contract). That seems pretty affordable.

That's why I ask.

Well, I think some people want certain preference you know, as those rumors stated both the 730 and 830 are mid-range, but they will have specs as close as high-end with the only disappointment of screen resolutions being stuck at 720p. Although the camera's will be its high selling point, especially the front-facing camera. Also, it's not only in the US, they will also be sold at developing nations as well. Something that can be more affordable in countries such as India, Brazil, Argentina, and Greece.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 musicalmac  Moderator

@FireEmblem_Man said:

Well, I think some people want certain preference you know, as those rumors stated both the 730 and 830 are mid-range, but they will have specs as close as high-end with the only disappointment of screen resolutions being stuck at 720p. Although the camera's will be its high selling point, especially the front-facing camera. Also, it's not only in the US, they will also be sold at developing nations as well. Something that can be more affordable in countries such as India, Brazil, Argentina, and Greece.

Right, I understand that. I just know that the race to the bottom is bloody and I don't know how well a Windows phone will compete with the likes of the cheaper stuff coming out of outfits like Samsung. It's kind of a one-and-done strategy, because even if you get someone to buy your low-end phone, it's likely that same person won't invest in your ecosystem (because of that aforementioned lack of funds).

I think Samsung is the only company so far to really have cracked the budget handset market, and I think a new strategy in general is required to make significant profits in those sorts of areas. Samsung is learning this now, especially on the top end of the market as their S5 was entirely outsold by the iPhone in one month and now even LG is taking sales away from Samsung.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 FireEmblem_Man

@musicalmac: I feel that Samsung is losing grip with their low end and budget phones. Their phones are poorly optimize to run Android and the majority of Apps can't run on their phone. Plus touch wiz makes those low and mod range phones run sluggish. MS on the other hand has made their phones optimize with low end hardware.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 musicalmac  Moderator

@FireEmblem_Man: I agree, I just can't speak to the likelihood of folks going with a brand new platform all together. Though you may imagine folks would be willing to try something that works better, including Windows phone.