Why does my S3 have 11gb and not 16gb like advertised?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PCgameruk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 PCgameruk
Member since 2012 • 2273 Posts

Just got my S3 plugged it into my PC but it says it only has 11.2gb of memory... Da fuk Iv'e had this in the past with phones and hard drives and i know why. But 5gb missing from 16gb is BS.

Why?:?

mjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 mjc  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 12723 Posts

Excluding whatever apps you've installed, you've got the Android OS, Touchwiz and whatever other junk comes pre-installed. Oh, and don't forget the Decimal vs Binary calculation of storage space.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#3 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

Just buy an SD card and store all your photos, videos and music in it you should be fine then.

semianonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 semianonymous
Member since 2007 • 6685 Posts

Just got my S3 plugged it into my PC but it says it only has 11.2gb of memory... Da fuk Iv'e had this in the past with phones and hard drives and i know why. But 5gb missing from 16gb is BS.

Why?:?

PCgameruk

5 gb taken up for dedicated app storage and the OS itself. Its gotta go somewhere. You'll find this on every single smartphone ever, incidentally.

imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts

Just buy an SD card and store all your photos, videos and music in it you should be fine then.

Gambler_3
or put all your photos in the cloud so you have access to them where ever you might be. Dropbox or Skydrive are great and have nice apps.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#6 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

imprezawrx500

or put all your photos in the cloud so you have access to them where ever you might be. Dropbox or Skydrive are great and have nice apps.

Dont see the point with an SD card slot. Its going to be too much a battery drain to always have your pics backed up on the cloud. Plus I dont trust the cloud to save all my pics anyways, only I decide which pic should be uploaded.

imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts

[QUOTE="imprezawrx500"][QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

Gambler_3

Dont see the point with an SD card slot. Its going to be too much a battery drain to always have your pics backed up on the cloud. Plus I dont trust the cloud to save all my pics anyways, only I decide which pic should be uploaded.

Yeah I wouldn't trust it for all you pics or for the only place you store them but it is very useful for somethings. unless you are uploading 50 pics at once it's not going to kill your battery.
Andrepont

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Andrepont
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
that is cause the android OS takes up space too ^^