Where to find good games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by CletusTSJY (1425 posts) -

Where do people go to hear about good games? I got an iPhone 4S around Christmas and I've played the really popular good games (Infinity Blade, Angry Birds, etc), but the App Store sucks for sifting through the millions of games to find the ones I should spend time downloading. Any good review sites out there that have high standards and rate a high percentage of the iOS games that come out?

#2 Posted by FilipVarga (33 posts) -

Where do people go to hear about good games? I got an iPhone 4S around Christmas and I've played the really popular good games (Infinity Blade, Angry Birds, etc), but the App Store sucks for sifting through the millions of games to find the ones I should spend time downloading. Any good review sites out there that have high standards and rate a high percentage of the iOS games that come out?

CletusTSJY

Im getting tips or recommendations from this iOS Subforum, so youre on the right place.

#3 Posted by musicalmac (23648 posts) -
Check out sites like TouchArcade. They list and review gobs of great titles. Also make sure to grab AppShopper on your iPhone. It will allow you to mark apps to watch, so when there are price drops you will get a notification. Only in rare instances to I purchase apps that aren't on sale. In fact, EA is having a sale right now on their sports titles. I just picked up Fight Night for .99, and it has excellent reviews. FIFA 12 and Tiger Woods 12 are also on sale. Anomaly: Warzone is on sale, too, I'd recommend that in a heartbeat. Wear headphones, it's got killer sound.
#4 Posted by musicalmac (23648 posts) -
Here's a list of games I'm currently enjoying on my iPhone-

King of Fighters, Street Fighter IV Volt, Mage Gauntlet, Order and Chaos, ShadowGun, Rainbow Six, EPOCH, Galaxy on Fire 2 HD, Modern Combat 3, Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2, Words with Friends, Real Racing 2, Ticket to Ride Pocket, FIFA 12, Infinity Blade 2, Sonic CD, Bard's Tale, Beat Hazard Ultimate, Hero Academy, AaaaAaAAaaAAaa, Code Runner, Dominion, Angry Birds Space, Pix'n Rush, Draw Something, Spell Tower, Fight Night.

So... There's a shortlist... Too many options... So much good stuff.
#5 Posted by GeekyDad (1694 posts) -

If you want something specifically for searching for games on your phone, I'd recommend both GameFinder and AppShopper. GameFinder will allow you to sift through games based on review scores from Slide to Play, and App Shopper will let you see what's popular, free, and also let you put games on a wishlist for when their prices drop.

#6 Posted by CletusTSJY (1425 posts) -

Awesome, thanks guys I'll check those out!

#7 Posted by musicalmac (23648 posts) -
And grab Ascension while it's on sale. .99 right now. Crazy addictive deck builder card game.
#8 Posted by Dare-2-Dair (9 posts) -
Well if you are looking for free games to play on App and you are tired from others then you might want to try Storm 8's games... These days they happen to be on everyone's iphone/ipod and even on android... you can search by Storm 8 or you can simply search by: iMobsters, World War, Rock Battle Live, Vampires Live, Kingdoms Live, Racing Live, Zombies Live, Ninja live or Pets live. Currently they have a high demand, and are highly addictive games ... If you ask me, I'd suggest World War & iMobsters and Kingdoms live ... Easy to play but sometimes they get confusing so you can either check out the original site of www.Storm8.com or the fan-site of www.StormATM.com ... There you can get easy to play guides and other FAQs... do give it a try!!!
#9 Posted by imprezawrx500 (19187 posts) -
if you want console type games then looking into madfinger games and gameloft and electronic arts, they are the only companies that really make decent games. The rest is casual junk.
#10 Posted by musicalmac (23648 posts) -
if you want console type games then looking into madfinger games and gameloft and electronic arts, they are the only companies that really make decent games. The rest is casual junk. imprezawrx500
Do not take this advice.
#11 Posted by imprezawrx500 (19187 posts) -
that depends what you are after I guess. Thinks like Angry birds just doesn't appeal to me. Ok there might be a few others but most are just boring 2d games. Why limit yourself to old school 2d games when phones have the power to produce games with better graphics than ps2?
#12 Posted by musicalmac (23648 posts) -
that depends what you are after I guess. Thinks like Angry birds just doesn't appeal to me. Ok there might be a few others but most are just boring 2d games. Why limit yourself to old school 2d games when phones have the power to produce games with better graphics than ps2? imprezawrx500
There are loads of fantastic games out there that aren't boring 2D affairs. Just tons. You gotta know what you're talking about if you're going to give advice. Look at my posts above.
#13 Posted by bats94 (590 posts) -

Guitar Hero is quite good too. Also worth playing Street Fighter 2 or Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 (albeit the controls are harder to master than the original).

#14 Posted by CletusTSJY (1425 posts) -
that depends what you are after I guess. Thinks like Angry birds just doesn't appeal to me. Ok there might be a few others but most are just boring 2d games. Why limit yourself to old school 2d games when phones have the power to produce games with better graphics than ps2? imprezawrx500
That's a little ridiculous. Why limit yourself to flashy big budget games when a lot of smaller developers are innovating in terms of gameplay mechanics? Thanks for the input, touch arcade seems like a really good resource for keeping up to date.
#15 Posted by brian6330 (27 posts) -

CletusTSJY

Friends - no matter if on the web or irl, but they are what give the best recommendations!

#16 Posted by imprezawrx500 (19187 posts) -

[QUOTE="imprezawrx500"]that depends what you are after I guess. Thinks like Angry birds just doesn't appeal to me. Ok there might be a few others but most are just boring 2d games. Why limit yourself to old school 2d games when phones have the power to produce games with better graphics than ps2? CletusTSJY
That's a little ridiculous. Why limit yourself to flashy big budget games when a lot of smaller developers are innovating in terms of gameplay mechanics? Thanks for the input, touch arcade seems like a really good resource for keeping up to date.

each to his own but that is like saying I want to play all the basic 2d games on my x360. I have played games like Angry Birds and there is nothing innovative about it. Same old gameplay ideas that have been used for years. Maybe some people just want timewasters but to me those sort of games are pointless and I consider them the same junk that facebook is littered with.

#17 Posted by musicalmac (23648 posts) -

each to his own but that is like saying I want to play all the basic 2d games on my x360. I have played games like Angry Birds and there is nothing innovative about it. Same old gameplay ideas that have been used for years. Maybe some people just want timewasters but to me those sort of games are pointless and I consider them the same junk that facebook is littered with.

imprezawrx500
I'm going to recommend from here on out that nobody take your app advice. You are not qualified to give it.
#18 Posted by imprezawrx500 (19187 posts) -
[QUOTE="imprezawrx500"]

musicalmac
I'm going to recommend from here on out that nobody take your app advice. You are not qualified to give it.

so you like to tell me what's innovative about shooting birds into targets? It my be highly addictive but if you look at the basic idea there is nothing innovative about it.
#19 Posted by musicalmac (23648 posts) -
so you like to tell me what's innovative about shooting birds into targets? It my be highly addictive but if you look at the basic idea there is nothing innovative about it. imprezawrx500
I'm not talking about Angry Birds. I'm having a hard time telling whether or not you're just not getting it, or trying to troll.
#20 Posted by SynapticWave (2 posts) -
You could check out some 'free for a limited time' sites. Like, say, http://www.freeappaday.com/ and http://www.freeappcalendar.com/ and you could download App-O-Day app from iTunes to get some free games. It's not like they're always giving away super-popular titles like Angry Birds, but if you've got some spare time I'd highly recommend you to try out free apps. They usually have decent quality and gameplay. After all, you've got nothing to lose - and you could find the best game ever for you.
#21 Posted by Oyeoyeoye (479 posts) -
Check out sites like TouchArcade. They list and review gobs of great titles. Also make sure to grab AppShopper on your iPhone. It will allow you to mark apps to watch, so when there are price drops you will get a notification. Only in rare instances to I purchase apps that aren't on sale. In fact, EA is having a sale right now on their sports titles. I just picked up Fight Night for .99, and it has excellent reviews. FIFA 12 and Tiger Woods 12 are also on sale. Anomaly: Warzone is on sale, too, I'd recommend that in a heartbeat. Wear headphones, it's got killer sound.musicalmac
That site seems to give good reviews for almost everything. Would be nice to have a website that has the same set of high standards gamespot does for iOS. Considering how big the mobile game app market is becoming I would say Gamespot has missed the boat on staying up to date on it. Although I will admit it would be difficult to keep up with the massive amount of apps that are released daily.
#22 Posted by Heirren (19014 posts) -
[QUOTE="musicalmac"]Check out sites like TouchArcade. They list and review gobs of great titles. Also make sure to grab AppShopper on your iPhone. It will allow you to mark apps to watch, so when there are price drops you will get a notification. Only in rare instances to I purchase apps that aren't on sale. In fact, EA is having a sale right now on their sports titles. I just picked up Fight Night for .99, and it has excellent reviews. FIFA 12 and Tiger Woods 12 are also on sale. Anomaly: Warzone is on sale, too, I'd recommend that in a heartbeat. Wear headphones, it's got killer sound.Oyeoyeoye
That site seems to give good reviews for almost everything. Would be nice to have a website that has the same set of high standards gamespot does for iOS. Considering how big the mobile game app market is becoming I would say Gamespot has missed the boat on staying up to date on it. Although I will admit it would be difficult to keep up with the massive amount of apps that are released daily.

My gripe about that site is that it is poorly designed. The layout is cumbersome, and they seem to give every game at least 4 Stars making it differentiate mediocre from good.
#23 Posted by gettingpatches (218 posts) -

Slide to play do some good reviews too, and I prefer their format to touch arcades slightly.

As for specific games:

Gta:chinatown wars (best sandbox on the appstore, has a hd version as well. Worth it for the long syory mode at least)

Jet car stunts (one of the best driving games, controls superbly and has plenty of stuff to do such as time trials and platforming. Good asthetic as well.)

Grokion (a 2d metroid a like game thats pretty good)

Hook world (like the enxt one but only ith unlimited modes. still good though)

super quick hook (loads of content and things to do, great game that controls wonderfully and is fun to play with a good sense of humor)

superbrothers sword and sworcery (wonderful atmosphere and pixel art, with excellent music. I cannot recommend it enough)

quell (a good puzzle game with relaxing music and themes)

reckless racer (great little top down racer that controls well and has good physics.)

and jet pack joy ride (free and a fair bit of content)

This should be a good places to start (although they won't take full advantage of your device since I'm working off my itouch 2g.).

#24 Posted by dumalika (9 posts) -
Yea, TA and appshopper are great places to keep latest news and upcomings. I also like apptudes and 148Apps as well.
#25 Posted by johansburg (26 posts) -

EA Sports

Data Recovery New York

#26 Posted by angryassdrummer (230 posts) -

100% Touch Arcade

on youtube try as well AppSpy . they are very reliable and have great reviews esp with Andrew the aussie guy

#29 Posted by rz2games (6 posts) -
Im currently playing a really good physics based game called Boat Load It is easy to learn and has multiple levels for fun and challenging game play suitable for all ages plus it has a lite version up for FREE! Do checkout you will love it https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/boat-load-the-game/id585139484
#30 Posted by atobe29 (35 posts) -
I often find the games i like on some games forums.
#31 Posted by twolvesking (3 posts) -
Download the app "NFL Matchups" and use my referral code YzChl2Si1N Copy and paste the code exactly! Or it won't work... Please and thank you!