Samsung Galaxy S3 vs. HTC One X?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

socomusnavy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 socomusnavy
Member since 2009 • 322 Posts

Which has better:
Display
Memory
Features
Internet
Battery Life
Responsiveness

Feel free to add other things!

THANKS!

socomusnavy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 socomusnavy
Bump, posts would be nice too. :D
flip_0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 flip_0
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
I own both these smartphones, so I can better answer the question. Here are the answer for what I have observed: Display: HTC One X (GS3 uses old Pentile display tech) Memory: GS3 (One X does not have memory card slot, but 32GB internal memory) Features: Same for me (GS3 has a lot of features, but all of them are useless for me I don't want eye tracking, NFC, S Voice) Internet: same Battery Life: GS3 (slight difference) Responsiveness: One X GS3 is slightly better in hardware and a little software smartphones. HTC One X has Beats Audio (awsome phone for music lovers) and Sense UI is lot better than Samsung touchwiz) Placing the phone side-by-side, One X steals all the spotlight. So you need to choose b/w looks and smart features. Processing power is same.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#4 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

HTC One X has Beats Audio (awsome phone for music lovers) flip_0
No.

And TC you should specify if you are talking about the LTE galaxy S3 or international S3...there is pretty big difference between the 2.

And if you are talking about AT&T one X or international one X?

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

Pretty sure the S3 beats the Tegra 3 (the One X uses this right?) so choose the S3. Beats Audio is nothing but a gimmick too, and I'm pretty sure the S3 has the superior DAC.

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 mystic_knight
Member since 2003 • 13801 Posts

Why are you asking the question, are you looking to get one?

socomusnavy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 socomusnavy
I am looking to get the one of these. It will be with at&t. Also, does the One X use the new Nvidia Tegra 3 or a different one?
socomusnavy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 socomusnavy
Seems that most "professional" reviewers prefer the One X. Should I wait and talk to someone at Best-Buy?
mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mystic_knight
Seems that most "professional" reviewers prefer the One X. Should I wait and talk to someone at Best-Buy?socomusnavy
The AT&T variants are different than the international as they both have 4g. Both have dual core kraits, the GS3 has 2gb RAM while the One X has the better screen. To be honest the One X is a very poor multi-tasker. If that doesn't bother you, i would go the one X, if it does the GS3 is the one togo for.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Gambler_3

I am looking to get the one of these. It will be with at&t. Also, does the One X use the new Nvidia Tegra 3 or a different one?socomusnavy
The AT&T versions both have same CPU and GPU but S3 has double the ram.

Screen is a personal preference it all depends on you which one is better. More people seem to like the one X screen more but it's not objectively better.

S3 has memory card slot which may or may not matter to people.

One X has a more attractive design but S3 has a more ergonomic design.

Audio quality should be the same on both dont fall for the beats crap.

Camera does not have a clear winner. The one X seems to take better pics in low light but has absolutely atrocious detail for an 8MP camera. The S3 will give much detailed pics but will struggle more in low light.

Battery life is about the same on both.

S3 will have an infinitely better accessory market something to consider if you like to buy them.

S3 has better software as HTC really messed up big time on the multitasking of sense 4.

SaurabhJethani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SaurabhJethani
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
S3 is surly better in all terms......
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Gambler_3

S3 is surly better in all terms......SaurabhJethani
Well it doesnt look better thats for sure.

TonyDanzaFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TonyDanzaFan
Member since 2010 • 2973 Posts
I prefer the One X, but it never came to Verizon so it wasn't an option. I am a big screen man, I love sense, and the dummy model I saw was beautiful. It looked like the discontinued macbooks. Memory card slot wouldn't bother me if there was a 32 GB option. For me, the screen being SLCD, the beautiful design, and just sense overall would have made me forget about the faults. My personal preference would be a white One X, but I love my GS3 so it doesn't really matter anyway lol.
mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mystic_knight
I prefer the One X, but it never came to Verizon so it wasn't an option. I am a big screen man, I love sense, and the dummy model I saw was beautiful. It looked like the discontinued macbooks. Memory card slot wouldn't bother me if there was a 32 GB option. For me, the screen being SLCD, the beautiful design, and just sense overall would have made me forget about the faults. My personal preference would be a white One X, but I love my GS3 so it doesn't really matter anyway lol. TonyDanzaFan
Trust me the one x is aesthetically the most beautiful phone, but when switching between tasks it gets annoying having to reload each time. The fact you cant keep cycling through the home pages.
Avatar image for JasonDarksavior
JasonDarksavior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#15 JasonDarksavior
Member since 2008 • 9323 Posts
Why not wait for the next iPhone and see what it offers. If it has nothing you like then pick between these two ...
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Gambler_3

Why not wait for the next iPhone and see what it offers. If it has nothing you like then pick between these two ...JasonDarksavior
The next iphone is gonna have something magical.....an extra row of icons. :lol:

Iphone is only for those who are heavily invested in the itunes/appstore otherwise apple is mostly playing catch up these days. The only legitimate reason I see to buy an iphone is for those who find the current android flagships too big to handle.

JasonDarksavior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JasonDarksavior

[QUOTE="JasonDarksavior"]Why not wait for the next iPhone and see what it offers. If it has nothing you like then pick between these two ...Gambler_3

The next iphone is gonna have something magical.....an extra row of icons. :lol:

Iphone is only for those who are heavily invested in the itunes/appstore otherwise apple is mostly playing catch up these days. The only legitimate reason I see to buy an iphone is for those who find the current android flagships too big to handle.

It is so foolish to buy a phone now and not even wait to see what Apple comes up with. There might always be a "one more thing" moment by Tim Cook. I'm using an Android phone atm and it's great. But you seem to hate Apple as a company so much it is blinding you. You are a consumer and should get a product that will fit your needs. How can you so readily discount the next iPhone as having any merits without it being officially announced yet?
mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mystic_knight
[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

[QUOTE="JasonDarksavior"]Why not wait for the next iPhone and see what it offers. If it has nothing you like then pick between these two ...JasonDarksavior

It is so foolish to buy a phone now and not even wait to see what Apple comes up with. There might always be a "one more thing" moment by Tim Cook. I'm using an Android phone atm and it's great. But you seem to hate Apple as a company so much it is blinding you. You are a consumer and should get a product that will fit your needs. How can you so readily discount the next iPhone as having any merits without it being officially announced yet?

In a sense i agree with you to wait, but if you really want a phone the last thing you wanna do is get it when its becoming outdated. Especially on a contract, imagine if the iphone came out and it wasn't that great. then the GS3 would 4 months old!!!! I would never buy a phone unless its with in the first month of release.
JasonDarksavior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 JasonDarksavior
[QUOTE="JasonDarksavior"][QUOTE="Gambler_3"]The next iphone is gonna have something magical.....an extra row of icons. :lol:

mystic_knight

In a sense i agree with you to wait, but if you really want a phone the last thing you wanna do is get it when its becoming outdated. Especially on a contract, imagine if the iphone came out and it wasn't that great. then the GS3 would 4 months old!!!! I would never buy a phone unless its with in the first month of release.

Might as well wait another month. It is very likely that the iPhone event will be held on the 21st September ...
Large_Soda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20 Large_Soda
Member since 2003 • 8658 Posts

[QUOTE="mystic_knight"][QUOTE="JasonDarksavior"] It is so foolish to buy a phone now and not even wait to see what Apple comes up with. There might always be a "one more thing" moment by Tim Cook. I'm using an Android phone atm and it's great. But you seem to hate Apple as a company so much it is blinding you. You are a consumer and should get a product that will fit your needs. How can you so readily discount the next iPhone as having any merits without it being officially announced yet?JasonDarksavior

Might as well wait another month. It is very likely that the iPhone event will be held on the 21st September ...

I hope Apple delivers something amazing, but in all honesty what hardware based revalation could they possibly deliver? In the end it's going to be really nice hardware that is still running iOS and that is the biggest limitation - at least for people firmly planted in the Android camp.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Gambler_3

[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

[QUOTE="JasonDarksavior"]Why not wait for the next iPhone and see what it offers. If it has nothing you like then pick between these two ...JasonDarksavior

iphone is not an option for android enthusiasts we all know apple aint changing their restricted mentality that power users despise. We already know what the next iOS is, it's the same old crap. The TC posted on an android forum and said nothing about the iphone so it's your post which was completely irrelevant.

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 NVIDIATI
Member since 2010 • 8463 Posts

It is so foolish to buy a phone now and not even wait to see what Apple comes up with. There might always be a "one more thing" moment by Tim Cook. I'm using an Android phone atm and it's great. But you seem to hate Apple as a company so much it is blinding you. You are a consumer and should get a product that will fit your needs. How can you so readily discount the next iPhone as having any merits without it being officially announced yet?JasonDarksavior
The next iPhone will likely be behind the moment it comes out. The new PowerVR SGX6xx will only be coming out in 2013, so the new iPhone is likely to not have support for OpenGL ES 3.0, OpenCL 1.1 or DirectX 11. I would wait for a phone with the ARM's Cortex A15 + Mali-6xx or Qualcomm's Krait + Adreno 3xx.

JasonDarksavior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 JasonDarksavior

[QUOTE="JasonDarksavior"][QUOTE="Gambler_3"]The next iphone is gonna have something magical.....an extra row of icons. :lol:

Gambler_3

iphone is not an option for android enthusiasts we all know apple aint changing their restricted mentality that power users despise. We already know what the next iOS is, it's the same old crap. The TC posted on an android forum and said nothing about the iphone so it's your post which was completely irrelevant.

Did the TC say he was completely ruling Apple out? It just seems pretty stupid to me to not even wait and see what the competition is offering ... Almost like buying a car and not looking at everything within the price range ... I guess I'm not Android "enthusiast", I'm just a guy who loves technology don't care if its Apple, Samsung HTC ... I also never said your post was irrelevant, just said it's stupid that just because you hate a company so much (judging from all your posts across the boards) that you are missing out and not even considering what they might be selling .... In all honestly both iOS and Android have their Pros and Cons ... I can name lots of issues with both platforms that I know from personal use .... Just putting it out there that TC should wait a month and at least see what the iPhone looks like and what it'll have under the hood.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Gambler_3

He may as well then wait for the next nexus phone which should come around in november? See this will NEVER end. Sorry but to wait like that in the world of smartphones IS what I call stupidity.

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 NVIDIATI

He may as well then wait for the next nexus phone which should come around in november? See this will NEVER end. Sorry but to wait like that in the world of smartphones IS what I call stupidity.

Gambler_3

Or to just wait for a device that utilizes the incoming standards for mobile devices (listed in my post above). The new Mali-T6xx and Adreno 3xx will be launching soon, TI's PowerVR SGX 6xx and Nvidia's Tegra 4 will follow early 2013. Unless someone is in a serious rush I see no reason to purchase a new device now with a rather large leap in the very near future.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Gambler_3

[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

NVIDIATI

Or to just wait for a device that utilizes the incoming standards for mobile devices (listed in my post above). The new Mali-T6xx and Adreno 3xx will be launching soon, TI's PowerVR SGX 6xx and Nvidia's Tegra 4 will follow early 2013. Unless someone is in a serious rush I see no reason to purchase a new device now with a rather large leap in the very near future.

Well thats a rather eternity to wait in the smartphone world. :P

I have never had a phone for more a year so never made sense to plan my phone purchase like that. And also what you are saying only really matters to gamers, I for one am not interested in 3D games on mobile just gimme those casual 2D time killers and thats all I want.

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 NVIDIATI

And also what you are saying only really matters to gamers

Gambler_3

No, these API's can be used for non-gaming applications. Take navigation as an example.

Mali-4xx API support: OpenGL ES 1.1/2.0, OpenVG 1.1

Mali-6xx API support: OpenGL ES 1.1/2.0/3.0, OpenVG 1.1, OpenCL 1.1, DirectX 11, Renderscript

Excluding Qualcomm (as they already released their Krait CPU earlier this year), ARM's Cortex A15 will be coming to market to replace Cortex A9. There is also the introduction of LPDDR3 RAM, USB 3.0 and SATA III support into mobile devices.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Gambler_3

Oh I see thanks for the info yes all that really does matter. :D

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mystic_knight
Im with nVidia here, the gs3 and the one X are already too old.
NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 NVIDIATI

Im with nVidia here, the gs3 and the one X are already too old.mystic_knight
This will likely be the case with the new iPhone, it would appear Apple will be playing catch-up to their 2012 iPad. Unless there is a drastic change in hardware preference from Apple, we're looking at a quad core Cortex A9 with a PowerVR SGX 5xx.

imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts
If you keep waiting you will never buy. A One X or GS3 are both blazing fast and most dual core phones are still speedy. It's like computers 5 years ago, you could have waited for the new chip but that means you have to put up with a slow computer for longer. Sure there is something better coming but do you actually need that extra power?
NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 NVIDIATI

If you keep waiting you will never buy. A One X or GS3 are both blazing fast and most dual core phones are still speedy. It's like computers 5 years ago, you could have waited for the new chip but that means you have to put up with a slow computer for longer. Sure there is something better coming but do you actually need that extra power? imprezawrx500
Like I explained before, extra power is a small part of the incoming hardware.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Gambler_3

[QUOTE="imprezawrx500"]If you keep waiting you will never buy. A One X or GS3 are both blazing fast and most dual core phones are still speedy. It's like computers 5 years ago, you could have waited for the new chip but that means you have to put up with a slow computer for longer. Sure there is something better coming but do you actually need that extra power? NVIDIATI

Like I explained before, extra power is a small part of the incoming hardware.

But it is true there will always be something big coming. We have heard the promise of new hardware too many times before, it can take a long time for users to actually benefit from stuff to the point where they might have been better off not waiting. Whatever you said seems to me will require software to take advantage of and that is one area you can never count on to catch up fast.

If the iphone 5 wont have it GS3 doesnt have it which phone will? No other phone seems to sell a great deal anyways so developers are not really going to be eager about anything until a phone with such hardware actually sells which prolly wont happen before the GS4.