Samsung Galaxy Note 5 may come with 4K dual-edge display

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Wickerman777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Wickerman777
Member since 2013 • 2164 Posts

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/technology/story/samsung-galaxy-note-and-project-zen/1/436339.html

Right. Well, since apparently there's no such thing as enough pixels for anything regardless of how small it is how's about a 64K smart-watch next?

-Blasphemy-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By -Blasphemy-
Member since 2005 • 3369 Posts

I dont know if they just became better at designing screens but I do notice a difference between the 1080p screens vs the 2k but I can't imagine there being a difference between the 2k and 4k screens

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3  Edited By JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

My Nexus 5 has enough pixels, why should I need more? My car doesn't need more than 4 wheels. My screens don't need more than 4 corners, wtf is happening with the race for pixels? Not worth it.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

@JohnF111 said:

My Nexus 5 has enough pixels, why should I need more? My car doesn't need more than 4 wheels. My screens don't need more than 4 corners, wtf is happening with the race for pixels? Not worth it.

There's not meaningful differentiation occurring. The market is being commoditized, pushing out the high end (and high profit margin) devices. One way of keeping those devices in demand is to increase the "numbers" of the devices - screen pixels, camera pixels, RAM, processor speed, etc.

When you buy a device for $800, you expect it to be meaningfully different from the $400 device in the lesser category.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

Not sure if this is something I'm going to need. Already feel like the 1440P on my Note 4 is overkill...

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

Not sure if this is something I'm going to need. Already feel like the 1440P on my Note 4 is overkill...

Would you even been able to notice the difference on a screen so small?

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts

Don't really care about this in phones even my note 3 1080p is enough for me but for VR tech higher resolution high quality oled screens like this will prove beneficial so I'm glad there being made and pushing the technological limits in this department.

Celldrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Celldrax
Member since 2005 • 15053 Posts

Pointless.

There's a limit to where it doesn't even become noticeable at all.

Sure, there'd be some level of difference in perceived clarity on a 40 inch screen or bigger, but not something in the palm of your hand.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@chaoscougar1 said:
@KHAndAnime said:

Would you even been able to notice the difference on a screen so small?

Probably not nearly enough to justify the battery and performance drain.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#10 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

@Wickerman777: Moved to the mobile forum.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

That'll be good and inefficient.

Mister-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Mister-Man
Member since 2014 • 616 Posts

I foresee a fail.

Wickerman777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Wickerman777
Member since 2013 • 2164 Posts

My phone is a Samsung Galaxy S3. It's got a 720p screen and that is absolutely fine. Thing looks sharp to me. A friend of mine showed me his 1080p Windows phone and I didn't notice any difference with how the display looked. Perhaps if I had squinted and concentrated on it I might have but who uses their phone like that? The faster, newer chips in his phone don't give him any better performance cuz the extra power is wasted running stuff in 1080p. So now we're gonna have phones with 4X the res of 1080p? Better be some monstrous silicon in there to keep up with that.

I ain't saying I'm against advances in technology. I want to see stuff improve as much as anyone. But why not improve things in practical ways? Surely something as small as a phone or even a tablet needs no more pixels than 2 million (1080p). Even that is probably overkill but I'll give the pixel counters benefit of the doubt here and say OK to 1080p phones. But 4K? Seriously?! That's insanity. Imagine how much faster these phones would run if they weren't having to waste enormous amounts of resources drawing everything in absurd resolutions. Keep making the chips better, the cameras better, etc. But when it comes to resolution these companies already hit the ceiling of what is practical a year or two ago and should just leave that part alone.

Mister-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By Mister-Man
Member since 2014 • 616 Posts

Pretty much why I laugh at fandroids swearing 1080p phones with 6 inch screens are a must. Meanwhile, Samsungs phones are struggling to keep up in the graphics department when compared to lower resolution phones.

Glad Apple never engages in meaningless spec wars like the pixel race with the camera and resolution race for screens. Anything over the "Retina" display is hardly even noticeable unless you view your screen with a magnifying glass.