NVIDIA Shield Tablet Leaked | Tegra K1 | $299+ | July 29th

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 NVIDIATI
Member since 2010 • 8463 Posts

NVIDIA's Shield tablet has been leaked ahead of the July 22nd announcement.

Here's what we know:

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

$40 for a tablet cover?

What?

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#3 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

I've written and erased so many replies so far, lol.

It's a cool piece of hardware, but that's it. The software is going to suck, and so the whole thing is going to suck and nobody is going to buy it. I'll gladly eat my words if this makes any meaningful dent in the tablet world.

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By NVIDIATI

The device has now been made official. For information about the games, hardware, etc., check out the thread in System Wars (Link).

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 musicalmac  Moderator

DOA. (Dead on Arrival)

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By NVIDIATI

@musicalmac said:

DOA. (Dead on Arrival)

I know you hate Google down to your very core (and likely anything that's not Apple), but your behaviour and comments this past week are out of place, even for you.

Mozuckint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 Mozuckint
Member since 2012 • 831 Posts

I actually want to see more of these pseudo streaming devices. Steam in home streaming is great and all, but it only works for steam. Gamestream will cover a multitude of games steam or otherwise, so an Intel or AMD companion hardware equivalent I might also be interested in.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 musicalmac  Moderator

@NVIDIATI: I said the Amazon phone was going to b DOA, and it's is. It is getting roasted in reviews.

I think this will follow suit, but will likely sell even less. There's nothing wrong with expressing an opinion formed from a position of strength through prior research and with the aid of current information.

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 NVIDIATI

@musicalmac

I don't need your rhetoric, I would also ask that you stop adding "noise" to the thread. Comments such as "The software is going to suck, and so the whole thing is going to suck and nobody is going to buy it.", add nothing to the topic. I expect better than that from you.

This device isn't expected to sell in large amounts or make a dent in the tablet market (an expectation you created only to shoot down). This device equipped with Tegra K1 is not staged for high production yields.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 musicalmac  Moderator

@NVIDIATI said:

@musicalmac

I don't need your rhetoric, I would also ask that you stop adding "noise" to the thread. Comments such as "The software is going to suck, and so the whole thing is going to suck and nobody is going to buy it.", add nothing to the topic. I expect better than that from you.

This device isn't expected to sell in large amounts or make a dent in the tablet market (an expectation you created only to shoot down). This device equipped with Tegra K1 is not staged for high production yields.

Heh, it's amusing that you state that you don't need my rhetoric, but then you employ it shortly thereafter by asking me to stop adding noise to the thread. That really is amusing.

Regardless of what you say, it's perfectly reasonable to call into question the quality of the software (which is a version of android on a tablet which will likely be bad) and the available software for this platform (which is measurably worse than other mobile platforms). It's also reasonable to call into question the number of units that this will sell, which you yourself have validated by rationalizing the purpose of the device and admitting that it indeed will not make a dent in the market and is not staged for high production yields.

There's a lot of contradictory stuff in that tiny post of yours.

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 NVIDIATI

@musicalmac Tongue-in-cheek, I wanted to get the message across in a manner you would understand. Comments that simply state 'this sucks, so that will suck, etc.' do not add anything to the thread. You didn't even bother to elaborate in your original posts.

There is nothing contradictory about it. This device was never being hyped to be a massive seller. NVIDIA does not have the production or distribution for this tablet to compete with larger players such as Samsung or Amazon in the Android tablet market, simple as that. So a comment regarding sales such as stating "DOA" offers no context, no 'bar' had been previously set.

This thread is here to inform other users of this new tablet that's oriented towards gaming with highlights such as GameStream, that works with your NVIDIA GTX class graphics card, or other PC/console games that will run native on Tegra K1.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 musicalmac  Moderator

@NVIDIATI: My issue with this tablet may be more related to the thread itself. Why should I care about this? There's no direction with which to consider the item in the OP. Why is this important?

This tablet is a thing that exists, that's really all the OP says.

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 NVIDIATI

@musicalmac

That's the point of the OP, to inform users of this device and the many gaming and non-gaming features it offers. This thread was originally created before the launch of the device, so information was limited. The System Wars thread, linked in my earlier post, is a follow-up with full details and official information from NVIDIA.