NuAns Neo - The first customizable Windows 10 Smartphone (Japan only)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Bravo632

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Bravo632
Member since 2015 • 207 Posts

I like the customizable options, just thought of sharing something we'll never see outside Japan.

Source

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#2 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

Very interesting. It's too bad the Snapdragon can't keep up with the latest and greatest stuff from Samsung and Apple. A Windows Phone would really benefit from extra oomph.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts

@musicalmac said:

Very interesting. It's too bad the Snapdragon can't keep up with the latest and greatest stuff from Samsung and Apple. A Windows Phone would really benefit from extra oomph.

That chip was never meant to, its not a flagship device. The snapdaragon 617 is a midrange chip.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 musicalmac  Moderator

@ferret-gamer: Don't you think the most compelling stuff about Windows 10 mobile (what's it actually called) is all the universal stuff? A mid range phone is going to suck at the cool stuff.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

@musicalmac said:

@ferret-gamer: Don't you think the most compelling stuff about Windows 10 mobile (what's it actually called) is all the universal stuff? A mid range phone is going to suck at the cool stuff.

The phone does appear to have Continuum support, they mention in the japanese slides, though i can't read what they say specifically about it. The snappy 617 might struggle with a bunch of tabs or other heavy stuff, but I think the phone will probably cope fine with basic continuum stuff like Office, light web browsing, or watching videos.

Continuum is still pretty niche anyways, a neat trick but not much in the way of current practical application. Its not going to make or break a phone.

Windows phone usually excels at low and mid range smartphones. The OS tends to handle the weaker hardware much better than similarly specc'd Androids. Grab a Lumia 640 and then compare it to a $40 Android, and tell me which one is a smoother experience.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20251 Posts

@ferret-gamer said:
@musicalmac said:

The phone does appear to have Continuum support, they mention in the japanese slides, though i can't read what they say specifically about it. The snappy 617 might struggle with a bunch of tabs or other heavy stuff, but I think the phone will probably cope fine with basic continuum stuff like Office, light web browsing, or watching videos.

Continuum is still pretty niche anyways, a neat trick but not much in the way of current practical application. Its not going to make or break a phone.

Windows phone usually excels at low and mid range smartphones. The OS tends to handle the weaker hardware much better than similarly specc'd Androids. Grab a Lumia 640 and then compare it to a $40 Android, and tell me which one is a smoother experience.

I believe that Japan will benefit from W10M's Continuum more so than the west. Japan prefers anything nano-tech these days and prefer to save a lot of space. There's no doubt that W10M will thrive in Japan. (INB4 future tense prediction)

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 musicalmac  Moderator

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@ferret-gamer said:
@musicalmac said:

I believe that Japan will benefit from W10M's Continuum more so than the west. Japan prefers anything nano-tech these days and prefer to save a lot of space. There's no doubt that W10M will thrive in Japan. (INB4 future tense prediction)

I have plenty of doubts. :P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

@musicalmac said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@ferret-gamer said:
@musicalmac said:

Apple doesn't have an official anime mascot like Microsoft does, so clearly Microsoft will have the advantage in Japan.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FireEmblem_Man

@musicalmac said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@ferret-gamer said:
@musicalmac said:

Why? Japan prefers everything portable and small. Having a phone that can convert into a desktop will be huge for them

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 musicalmac  Moderator

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@musicalmac said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@ferret-gamer said:
@musicalmac said:

Why? Japan prefers everything portable and small. Having a phone that can convert into a desktop will be huge for them

Windows Phone growth has been flat for a long, long time. The first entries into the next generation of Windows Phone have all been middle-of-the-road offers. Nothing has been stand-out.

It's like putting a lawnmower engine into a truck. It might be able to tow some things, but it's probably not going to tow how you'd like it to tow.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 FireEmblem_Man

@musicalmac said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@musicalmac said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@ferret-gamer said:

Windows Phone growth has been flat for a long, long time. The first entries into the next generation of Windows Phone have all been middle-of-the-road offers. Nothing has been stand-out.

It's like putting a lawnmower engine into a truck. It might be able to tow some things, but it's probably not going to tow how you'd like it to tow.

Yet, you're forgetting how the Japanese have been married to their smart phones for a long time already. How Consoles were replaced by handhelds, and how handhelds were replaced by phones. Now it will be the same for Laptops and Desktops, they will be replaced by phones and W10M Continuum will help further their transitions.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By musicalmac  Moderator

@FireEmblem_Man said:

Yet, you're forgetting how the Japanese have been married to their smart phones for a long time already. How Consoles were replaced by handhelds, and how handhelds were replaced by phones. Now it will be the same for Laptops and Desktops, they will be replaced by phones and W10M Continuum will help further their transitions.

I feel like to reply to this, I can just re-quote my previous post.

@musicalmac said:

First impressions are critically important. MS isn't making a very good first impression with current Continuum-ready smartphones. They're equipped with lawnmower engines and they're trying to tow semi trailers (and it doesn't work very well).