Lumia 640 XL vs Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Camera

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

Link

Despite the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge being a flagship phone and the Microsoft Lumia 640 XL being an affordable mid-range phablet, Microsoft is keeping the Nokia tradition alive of having great camera technology.

Microsoft Lumia 640 XL

Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 FireEmblem_Man

Not even @mister-man can deny the greatness of the Lumia camera!

Mister-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Mister-Man
Member since 2014 • 616 Posts

Thank you for personally calling my attention to this cute article. I can see you are enamored by "teH pictures." So here:

Apple acquires next generation lens technology:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/apple-buys-israeli-camera-technology-company-linx-1429037790

In one to two years, iPhones will be able to take DSLR quality photos. Further cementing their position over why they never actually followed the useless pixel race. It goes right along with their strategy as well. They're more interesting in advancing their camera in a meaningful way rather than waste resources going for a spec war, and in the end they'll have a much more functional camera that's more useful on a professional level. How genius. On top of that, they now own the patents to this revolutionary technology. It will be many years to come before the competition can figure out an alternative way of achieving the same effect and at the same miniature size. I can see them, scratching their heads now.

Apple has purchased Israeli camera technology company LinX Imaging for approximately $20 million, reports The Wall Street Journal. LinX specializes in creating multi-aperture camera equipment for mobile devices and it's possible that Apple will use the company's technology in upcoming iOS devices.

Last year, LinX announced the launch of miniature multi-aperture cameras half the height of standard mobile cameras with the ability to create "stunning color images and high accuracy depth maps" for SLR image quality without the bulk of an SLR camera.

linx_cameras

The image quality of mobile cameras has reached a dead end. Device makers are striving to differentiate using imaging capabilities but the pixel size race has ended and next generation cameras do not reveal any dramatic improvements. LinX cameras revolutionize mobile photography and broaden the usability span and user experience, allowing us to leave our SLRs at home.

The engineers at LinX have solved all problems associated with combining multiple images captured from different points in space such as registration errors and occlusion related artifacts which are seen on competing technologies.

LinX's technology uses software to extract depth information for each pixel to create a depth map for that can also be used for 3D image reconstruction. LinX's website is now defunct, but the company offered products with two, three, and four camera arrays in multiple configurations and sizes. Its most recent technology was downscaled enough to be ready for use in mobile devices.

LinX technology includes several other improvements Apple could potentially take advantage of, including multiple sensors for a smaller size, better sensitivity to light, and greatly improved image quality in low light.

There have been rumors suggesting Apple's iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus will offer much improved dual-lens camera technology with image quality on par with SLR cameras, which could be made possible through mobile camera advancements like those LinX Imaging has worked on.

Camera improvements and iPhone photography have always been important to Apple, and its iOS devices routinely offer highly competitive picture taking capabilities that often outclass devices from competing companies. In the past, major improvements to camera technology have come in "S" release years, so it is likely we will see at least some boost in picture quality in the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus.

Apple confirmed the purchase of LinX Imaging with its standard acquisition statement, given to The Wall Street Journal: "Apple buys smaller technology companies from time to time and we generally do not discuss our purpose or plans."

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By FireEmblem_Man

@mister-man said:

Thank you for personally calling my attention to this cute article. I can see you are enamored by "teH pictures." So here:

Apple acquires next generation lens technology:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/apple-buys-israeli-camera-technology-company-linx-1429037790

In one to two years, iPhones will be able to take DSLR quality photos. Further cementing their position over why they never actually followed the useless pixel race. It goes right along with their strategy as well. They're more interesting in advancing their camera in a meaningful way rather than waste resources going for a spec war, and in the end they'll have a much more functional camera that's more useful on a professional level. How genius. On top of that, they now own the patents to this revolutionary technology. It will be many years to come before the competition can figure out an alternative way of achieving the same effect and at the same miniature size. I can see them, scratching their heads now.

Apple has purchased Israeli camera technology company LinX Imaging for approximately $20 million, reports The Wall Street Journal. LinX specializes in creating multi-aperture camera equipment for mobile devices and it's possible that Apple will use the company's technology in upcoming iOS devices.

Last year, LinX announced the launch of miniature multi-aperture cameras half the height of standard mobile cameras with the ability to create "stunning color images and high accuracy depth maps" for SLR image quality without the bulk of an SLR camera.

linx_cameras

The image quality of mobile cameras has reached a dead end. Device makers are striving to differentiate using imaging capabilities but the pixel size race has ended and next generation cameras do not reveal any dramatic improvements. LinX cameras revolutionize mobile photography and broaden the usability span and user experience, allowing us to leave our SLRs at home.

The engineers at LinX have solved all problems associated with combining multiple images captured from different points in space such as registration errors and occlusion related artifacts which are seen on competing technologies.

LinX's technology uses software to extract depth information for each pixel to create a depth map for that can also be used for 3D image reconstruction. LinX's website is now defunct, but the company offered products with two, three, and four camera arrays in multiple configurations and sizes. Its most recent technology was downscaled enough to be ready for use in mobile devices.

LinX technology includes several other improvements Apple could potentially take advantage of, including multiple sensors for a smaller size, better sensitivity to light, and greatly improved image quality in low light.

There have been rumors suggesting Apple's iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus will offer much improved dual-lens camera technology with image quality on par with SLR cameras, which could be made possible through mobile camera advancements like those LinX Imaging has worked on.

Camera improvements and iPhone photography have always been important to Apple, and its iOS devices routinely offer highly competitive picture taking capabilities that often outclass devices from competing companies. In the past, major improvements to camera technology have come in "S" release years, so it is likely we will see at least some boost in picture quality in the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus.

Apple confirmed the purchase of LinX Imaging with its standard acquisition statement, given to The Wall Street Journal: "Apple buys smaller technology companies from time to time and we generally do not discuss our purpose or plans."

What? Smartphone cam tech behind? You never heard of Pure View or Carl Zeiss Optics?

Mister-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Mister-Man

sure, I know those technologies. They don't compare, period. With LinX, Apple will be able to make their iPhone camera have the field of view depth and zoom capabilities and night photography of a DSLR camera in a unit small enough to put into a smartphone. On top of that, LinX is able to completely reconstruct an image in 3D just using their pixel depth technology. Hell, iPhone users will be able to adjust focus and depth of field AFTER taking a picture jjst with that pixel depth technology. I'm not even sure what line of thinking you're on saying Carl Zeiss and PureView aren't behind. They completely are, in a very startling way. They have nothing the size of LinX modules that can achieve these effects, nor do they have any plans to develop any, and even if they started now, it would take up to a decade of research and development alone just to figure a legal way around now-Apples patents, while achieving the same size and capabilities. The only other company that has something similiar in development is Leica, but their module is the size of a palmsized telescope, not the size of a fingernail like LinX.

Fail. Do your research.

Tell you what, you show me plans from any Android or Microsoft phone manufacture that intends on having similar technology on their phone within a years time, and I'll call foofoo on myself. Otherwise, Apple is set to have the most revolutionary camera lense, with no competitor in sight, setting them up to be four years ahead of the competition yet again until everyone else tries to figure out how hell to do something similar with less-than results. Hey look at that, kind of like what Android is! lol

Guess what, I just completely "denied the greatness of the Lumia camera."

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 FireEmblem_Man

@mister-man said:

sure, I know those technologies. They don't compare, period. With LinX, Apple will be able to make their iPhone camera have the field of view depth and zoom capabilities and night photography of a DSLR camera in a unit small enough to put into a smartphone. On top of that, LinX is able to completely reconstruct an image in 3D just using their pixel depth technology. Hell, iPhone users will be able to adjust focus and depth of field AFTER taking a picture jjst with that pixel depth technology. I'm not even sure what line of thinking you're on saying Carl Zeiss and PureView aren't behind. They completely are, in a very startling way. They have nothing the size of LinX modules that can achieve these effects, nor do they have any plans to develop any, and even if they started now, it would take up to a decade of research and development alone just to figure a legal way around now-Apples patents, while achieving the same size and capabilities. The only other company that has something similiar in development is Leica, but their module is the size of a palmsized telescope, not the size of a fingernail like LinX.

Fail. Do your research.

Tell you what, you show me plans from any Android or Microsoft phone manufacture that intends on having similar technology on their phone within a years time, and I'll call foofoo on myself. Otherwise, Apple is set to have the most revolutionary camera lense, with no competitor in sight, setting them up to be four years ahead of the competition yet again until everyone else tries to figure out how hell to do something similar with less-than results. Hey look at that, kind of like what Android is! lol

Guess what, I just completely "denied the greatness of the Lumia camera."

If it's not out, then you can't claim anything Einstein, so stop trying to claim ownage on a non-existing product.

Mister-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Mister-Man

@FireEmblem_Man: Everyone knew about the iPhone 5's fingerprint scanner an entire year befor eit came out, based on their acquisition of the company behind its technology. This is no different. You fail twice. :)

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 FireEmblem_Man

@mister-man said:

@FireEmblem_Man: Everyone knew about the iPhone 5's fingerprint scanner an entire year befor eit came out, based on their acquisition of the company behind its technology. This is no different. You fail twice. :)

I didn't fail an anything, it's just like everyone thought that the iPhone 6 and 6+ was going to have Sapphire glass, but it didn't came true after Apple has heavily invested in that screen protected tech, YOU FAILED!

Mister-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Mister-Man

The saphirre production Apple invested in went into the release of the Apple Watch, silly man. You know, the one that vastly outsold third-generation Android garbage in one day.

You fail a third time. :)

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 FireEmblem_Man

@mister-man said:

The saphirre production Apple invested in went into the release of the Apple Watch, silly man. You know, the one that vastly outsold third-generation Android garbage in one day.

You fail a third time. :)

I didn't lose, you did!

Mister-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Mister-Man

@FireEmblem_Man: Yes, I agree those are very interesting isolated incidences, especially since they refer to the standard entry level watch face. Where's the mention of the sapphire versions. Ironically, you fail at failing me.

Hammer and Drill test

http://bgr.com/2015/04/09/apple-watch-scratch-testing-hammer-drill-sapphire/

Consumer Reports names Apple Watch the most durable smartwatch among 11 other manufacturers:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2015/05/apple-watch-comes-out-tops-in-consumer-reports-smartwatch-tests/index.htm

Hahah, this guy.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By FireEmblem_Man

@mister-man said:

@FireEmblem_Man: Yes, I agree those are very interesting isolated incidences, especially since they refer to the standard entry level watch face. Where's the mention of the sapphire versions. Ironically, you fail at failing me.

Hammer and Drill test

http://bgr.com/2015/04/09/apple-watch-scratch-testing-hammer-drill-sapphire/

Consumer Reports names Apple Watch the most durable smartwatch among 11 other manufacturers:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2015/05/apple-watch-comes-out-tops-in-consumer-reports-smartwatch-tests/index.htm

Hahah, this guy.

Why don't you stay on topic for once? Also, no, they're not using Sapphire tech as the article pointed out. Also, they didn't even use a lot of force hitting the glass

Mister-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Mister-Man

@FireEmblem_Man: mmHmm, the damage control is strong in this one.

I've been responding to your shenanigans and doling out ownage. You stay on topic and I won't own you off topic. ;)