Google: Nexus ( 4 / 7 / 10 ) line-up and pricing

• 100 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 NVIDIATI
Member since 2010 • 8463 Posts

Nexus 4- $299 (£239) 8GB // $349 (£279) 16GB

BRwwUg2CF-LxX03xY18AqSnRu9XbzTiGTNDTZPnX

Nexus 7- $199 (£239) 16GB // $249 (£199) 32GB // $299 (£239) 32GB 3G HSPA+

pdOi_4avZ4cIkS2xrsLmwl_3NJqB_GfbjVN3xEbB

Nexus 10- $399 (£319) 16GB // $499 (£389) 32GB

wX-MwtUY3akXK5wHn0jG3DknRpXbw_y_FsztBnRQ

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 mystic_knight
Member since 2003 • 13801 Posts
I am really pissed off that the nexus 4 has no DC-HSDPA or LTE. WTF Google, why!!!! I really wanted this to be my next phone. I might stick to the optimus g when it launches. It seems to be the most complete phone out there now.
mjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mjc  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 12723 Posts

It's dissapointing that there's no 3G options for Australia. I was hoping to upgrade my Nexus 7 8GB so I could take it on the road with me.

TwistedShade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TwistedShade
Member since 2012 • 3139 Posts

I like how people make fun of Apple for rereleasing a New Ipad so soon. But then Google does the same thing with the Nexus7 only changing storage.

semianonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 semianonymous
Member since 2007 • 6685 Posts

I think I'll hold out for a 32gb version. Sorry google, 16 (real world, 12) just isn't going to cut it. The lack of LTE makes sense from a philosophical and economic standpoint, but I think its dumb that there isn't an LTE only version, google has this weird habit of making drool worthy devices with bizarre witholdings (storage, SD slot and this time, LTE) and its getting annoying.

I like how people make fun of Apple for rereleasing a New Ipad so soon. But then Google does the same thing with the Nexus7 only changing storage.

TwistedShade

The 32gb Nexus 7 is identical to the 8 and 16gb versions in every way except for storage. The 4th gen ipad contains a new processor and the lightning port, and will in general perform better.

One is a slight upgrade. One is a new generation.

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 NVIDIATI

I am really pissed off that the nexus 4 has no DC-HSDPA or LTE. WTF Google, why!!!! I really wanted this to be my next phone. I might stick to the optimus g when it launches. It seems to be the most complete phone out there now.mystic_knight

"...It features the same lovely 4.7-inch 1280x768-pixel IPS display but sheds LTE support for an unlocked pentaband DC-HSPA+ (42Mbps) radio and wireless charging..."Engadget

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mystic_knight
yeah yeah yeah i read it in system wars :P Blame google for falsely advertising.
NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 NVIDIATI

Blame google for falsely advertising.mystic_knight
How dare they lie about the specs of their product :P

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
verizon'd :(
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Why does your thread get more posts than mine :(

You should put in the english prices too.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

I wasn't planning on getting the Nexus 4 but now that the headphone jack on my Galaxy Nexus just broke and seeing as how I'm inept at repairing these things... I might just go for the 4.

-Renegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 -Renegade
Member since 2007 • 8340 Posts
I think the Nexus 4 will be my new phone because of the cheap price. Really don't like the glass back though.
Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Vari3ty

I think the Nexus 4 will be my new phone because of the cheap price. Really don't like the glass back though.-Renegade

Don't most people throw a cover onto their phones anyway? I'm really not seeing why this is an issue for so many people...

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 kraken2109

So is the S4 pro in the Nexus 4 better than the samsung chip in the Nexus 10?

What's the Nexus 10 CPU/GPU like?

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 NVIDIATI

You should put in the english prices too.

kraken2109

Done

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 NVIDIATI

kraken2109

The Exynos 5250 in the Nexus 10 is more powerful. Nexus 10 uses a dual core Cortex A15 CPU and a Mali-T604 GPU. Both of these are completely new (from ARM) to the industry.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 kraken2109

[QUOTE="kraken2109"]

NVIDIATI

The Exynos 5250 in the Nexus 10 is more powerful. Nexus 10 uses a dual core Cortex A15 CPU and a Mali-T604 GPU. Both of these are completely new (from ARM) to the industry.

So the S4 pro was only the best chip for like 5 minutes :P
NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 NVIDIATI

[QUOTE="NVIDIATI"]

[QUOTE="kraken2109"]

kraken2109

So the S4 pro was only the best chip for like 5 minutes :P

Well it's the best chip in a phone, for now.

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mystic_knight
The cpu is better in the s4 pro, but the gpu is superior in exynos 5250
MasterTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MasterTony
Member since 2005 • 1094 Posts
The cpu is better in the s4 pro, but the gpu is superior in exynos 5250mystic_knight
Eh? i think you need to check your facts....the exynos 5250 is the fastest mobile CPU atm....
mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mystic_knight
[QUOTE="mystic_knight"]The cpu is better in the s4 pro, but the gpu is superior in exynos 5250MasterTony
Eh? i think you need to check your facts....the exynos 5250 is the fastest mobile CPU atm....

Per core. Not cpu. The quad core s4 pro is based off a similar architecture to a15, where as the exynos 5250 is a 1.7ghz dual core a15 Quad core 1.5 vs dual core 1.7 and both using similar architecture. Now the GPU is completely different and the T604, is a much faster GPU with better fill rates etc. and thats where the exynos takes over.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#22 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

I am already dreaming about the nexus 4.

I just feel like there should be a 32GB version. Google you dont like SD cards fine but where is the 32GB version?

LTE is not relevant for me, I dont really care about removable battery, I can live with a glass back and I can live without an SD card but only 16GB fixed memory is almost a deal breaker. I dont know I'll see what price the 16GB version is going to be when it hits in my country.

awptical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 awptical
Member since 2003 • 844 Posts

Yeah, with games sitting at 2 GB a pop, movies up to a gig, and with all my songs, itll be hard to stay under 14GB, which is the true size usable. Im at 24GB now on my Gnex, I could probably make due, but a 32 GB+ LTE at $400 would be nice, still a great value imo.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
Why no SD card support?
semianonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 semianonymous

Why no SD card support? Fightingfan

Theres a multitude of reasons, actually

- Push for cloud storage

- legitimately a cost matter. The Nexus 4 is on the wire with costs.

- Issues with the new multiple user accounts setup, with apps/documents/etc from multiple users installed on the SD card, what if one user removes the SD card, now they have all the information that the other users, and this would be very difficult for google to protect without formatting the SD card to some other kind of format, which is a whole host of issues.

- minor UX issues

Basically, no one good reason, but a handful of subpar reasons. Added up, it makes sense but I maintain 16gb is absurd.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Gambler_3

- Push for cloud storage

- Issues with the new multiple user accounts setup, with apps/documents/etc from multiple users installed on the SD card, what if one user removes the SD card, now they have all the information that the other users, and this would be very difficult for google to protect without formatting the SD card to some other kind of format, which is a whole host of issues.

Basically, no one good reason, but a handful of subpar reasons. Added up, it makes sense but I maintain 16gb is absurd.

semianonymous

1. Obviously a **** reason.

2. Seriously? How much does an SD card slot costs?

3. Since when was android supposed to be a noob friendly OS?

It doesnt make sense as far as I am concerned, this is not what android stands for.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Fightingfan

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]Why no SD card support? semianonymous

- Push for cloud storage

- minor UX issues

1) Lame. Not everyone has constant internet. 2) It would cost nothing, it's old tech even bootleg Korean phones have em. 3) People share their cellphone? And since when was Android catering to the ignorant? There's no reason not to include it; they're pulling an apple. They need reasons for people to upgrade.
awptical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 awptical

They would have to pay Microsoft a fee on every phone with an SD slit due to the file system used is patented by them. That part isnt so cheap.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Gambler_3

They would have to pay Microsoft a fee on every phone with an SD slit due to the file system used is patented by them. That part isnt so cheap.

awptical

You mean to say every electronic in the world that has an SD card slot is paying a fat royalty to microsoft? :?

And samsung and LG non-nexus devices already have SD slots so?

awptical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 awptical

[QUOTE="awptical"]

Gambler_3

You mean to say every electronic in the world that has an SD card slot is paying a fat royalty to microsoft? :?

And samsung and LG non-nexus devices already have SD slots so?

Its just what I've read and those devices don't cost $299 off contract unlocked.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Gambler_3

No it seems obvious that google is trying to force cloud storage or why else would they not release 32GB versions of the nexus phones??

And who the hell releases an 8GB high end phone these days? Well google does. :?

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Fightingfan

No it seems obvious that google is trying to force cloud storage or why else would they not release 32GB versions of the nexus phones??

And who the hell releases an 8GB high end phone these days? Well google does. :?

Gambler_3
That's the main reason why I disliked the original Nexus 7.
Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Vari3ty

As much as I love Google's Nexus phones, this cloud bull**** needs to stop.

-Renegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 -Renegade

[QUOTE="-Renegade"]I think the Nexus 4 will be my new phone because of the cheap price. Really don't like the glass back though.Vari3ty

Don't most people throw a cover onto their phones anyway? I'm really not seeing why this is an issue for so many people...

That's the issue. It just makes the phone thicker. I have a hole in like 4 pairs of pants in the same spot because of my phone.

semianonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 semianonymous

And since when was Android catering to the ignorant? Fightingfan

3. Since when was android supposed to be a noob friendly OS?

It doesnt make sense as far as I am concerned, this is not what android stands for.

Gambler_3

This is not catering to the ignorant. Multi-user support is potentially huge, and an SD card essentially breaks it. Either a complex workaround, or remove one of them completely. Multi-user support is also a tremendously useful feature (for some, not all. It would be useless for me, but perfect for a familywhos kids play games on the parents phones) but because google implemented it as full blown multiple user account support rather than something like WP8's kids room or whatever its called, its comes with a host of awkward problems.

Do I think they made the right choice? Absolutely not. I think it was incredibly short sighted and foolish of them, and I think they will come to regret it and possibly offer a larger storage model in the (near) future. But apparently google felt those (mediocre) reasons were enough to remove the SD card.It'll be interesting to see if any manufacturers even use multi-user support, or if they opt for an SD card.

My view? Keep Multi-user support to tablets only. They generally come with plenty of storage anyways, and are more likely to be used by families.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Gambler_3

My view? Keep Multi-user support to tablets only. They generally come with plenty of storage anyways, and are more likely to be used by families.

semianonymous

It IS for tablets only...the nexus 4 doesnt have it.

And google dropped SD card support starting from the nexus S when multi-user support wasnt even in the pipeline so I dont really buy this being the reason.

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 mystic_knight
Google is practically onpar with apple in terms of dirtiness. The reason why i like android is because it lets companies utilise the source code and make it their own, I had always been a htc fan, but since the optimus G has been revealed/released its the only thing i actually want. All the problem limitations of the nexus 4 are non existant on the Optimus G. LG FTW i have faith this company will provide...:) Gambler i don't care about vanilla android, the only thing that benefits it are the community rom's which will be a shame for the optimus G, but something i can definitely live with.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Gambler_3

Oh noes it seems like the magical pricing is only for US, canada, UK and germany. :(:(

Gambler i don't care about vanilla androidmystic_knight
I dont really care about it either but what I do care about is getting the latest android version asap.

I started with GB on my nexus S and have seen 2 major updates, I have seen android evolving and just how much updates can enhance your experience.

trastamad03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#39 trastamad03
Member since 2006 • 4859 Posts
My current Galaxy S1 is dying... gonna pick up the Nexus 4. I don't really care about LTE or no SD card slot, so it's fine for me.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Gambler_3

Eh wait the surface tablet has SD card slot and multi-user support so???

Actually you do realise you cannot install apps on an SD card and that nobody is asking to be able to install apps on an SD card??

flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts
I really wanted my next phone to be the next Nexus, but I also wanted to avoid LG. N4 seems to be getting some mediocre-to-great reviews. Thumbs down mostly on the basis of no LTE and poor speakers, neither of which are deal-breakers for me. So I'm iffy, but I'll wait for more reviews after released. At the price point, it's really tempting though. As for my N7 16GB, with games and comic books alone, I'm starting to feel the crunch for space. I'd definitely be struggling if I did music and movies. However, I still don't regret getting at its price point. It was definitely worth it IMO. Perhaps I'll wait for N4 32GB version, assuming I get it.
Salacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Salacon
Member since 2003 • 1460 Posts

This explains the reasoning behind the Nexus devices not having SD cards. I wish I could locate the separate write-up I saw not too long ago from an actual Google employee, but I cannot seem to find it...

I'm actually pretty intrigued by the Nexus 10. I love the screen resolution and hardware behind it, but I already have a Nexus 7 and love it. I think my friend is going to get a Nexus 10, so I may just wait and see how I feel about it after I can mess with his.

awptical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 awptical

Looks like the Nexus 4 has severe overheating issues that causes the CPU to throttle its speed. Sounds like a hardware problem, no surprise give LG is the OEM. A guy at anandtech got much better results after sticking his phone in the freezer. This phone looks to be DOA...

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts

Why no SD card support? Fightingfan

Its all about maximizing profit there's more money to be made in making people buy the more expensive version of a nexus device to get more storage then having them buy the cheapest version and adding in a cheap micro sd card for storage in. Apple price gouges heavily as well for storage but at least they actually offers 64gb options on all there ios products albeit at a $200 extra cost which is absurd when a 64gb micro sd cost $50 but better then being limited to only 32gb on the nexus 10 and 7 and a pathetic 16gb for the nexus 4 which is far to little to be usable for me. 32GB is enough to be usable for me on a tablet that I'll use alongside my phone(Need more on my phone since that's where I will have all my apps,music, and any pictures and HD videos I take) but no reason why they can't offer 64gb version for all 3 would still prefer a micro sd slot but would eliminate my complaints for more storage. The good thing about android is the sheer amount of choices if I don't like what a product offers for the price there are other choices to pick from.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Gambler_3

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]Why no SD card support? DJ_Headshot

Its all about maximizing profit there's more money to be made in making people buy the more expensive version of a nexus device to get more storage then having them buy the cheapest version and adding in a cheap micro sd card for storage in. Apple price gouges heavily as well for storage but at least they actually offers 64gb options on all there ios products albeit at a $200 extra cost which is absurd when a 64gb micro sd cost $50 but better then being limited to only 32gb on the nexus 10 and 7 and a pathetic 16gb for the nexus 4 which is far to little to be usable for me. 32GB is enough to be usable for me on a tablet that I'll use alongside my phone(Need more on my phone since that's where I will have all my apps,music, and any pictures and HD videos I take) but no reason why they can't offer 64gb version for all 3 would still prefer a micro sd slot but would eliminate my complaints for more storage. The good thing about android is the sheer amount of choices if I don't like what a product offers for the price there are other choices to pick from.

If milking was the strategy with the nexus products then they wouldnt be priced so cheap to begin with.

semianonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 semianonymous

Gonna eat some humble pie here:

The Nexus 4 lacks multi-user support. I stand by what I said, but its only applicable to a hypothetical nexus 4 with multi-user support. Until this hypothetical device exists, googles only real argument against SD card support doesn't exist.

No defense. Google dropped the ball on storage in every possible way.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Gambler_3

Gonna eat some humble pie here:

The Nexus 4 lacks multi-user support. I stand by what I said, but its only applicable to a hypothetical nexus 4 with multi-user support. Until this hypothetical device exists, googles only real argument against SD card support doesn't exist.

No defense. Google dropped the ball on storage in every possible way.

semianonymous

But the microsoft surface tablet has SD card and multi-user support.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 kraken2109

[QUOTE="DJ_Headshot"]

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]Why no SD card support? Gambler_3

If milking was the strategy with the nexus products then they wouldnt be priced so cheap to begin with.

Especially since Nexus 4 was (might still be) sold at cost price.
Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Vari3ty

I've decided I'm just going to stick with my Galaxy Nexus for at least another year. I'm hoping next year we'll get to see some results from Google's acquisition of Motorola.

-Renegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 -Renegade

I've decided I'm just going to stick with my Galaxy Nexus for at least another year. I'm hoping next year we'll get to see some results from Google's acquisition of Motorola.

Vari3ty
Nexus 4 is not really worth the upgrade over a Galaxy Nexus.