Google: Nexus ( 4 / 7 / 10 ) line-up and pricing

• 100 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#-49 Posted by awptical (835 posts) -

It really is if you enjoy gaming and using a decent camera. Neither is worth a **** on the Gnex so Ill be grabbing this at 2am when it supposedly is sold tonight.

#-48 Posted by awptical (835 posts) -

**** was sold in just minutes, obviously they severely underestimated the demand and lost a lot of business they could have had today. I never even got the notify email i signed up for.yet another fail launch by Google

#-47 Posted by kraken2109 (13257 posts) -

Strange how the 16GB nexus 10 is for sale but the 32GB isn't yet.

#-46 Posted by trastamad03 (4859 posts) -

**** was sold in just minutes, obviously they severely underestimated the demand and lost a lot of business they could have had today. I never even got the notify email i signed up for.yet another fail launch by Google

awptical
Likewise, didn't even have a chance =[ Can't wait to get rid of my half-ass working Galaxy S1 already...
#-45 Posted by DJ_Headshot (6292 posts) -

[QUOTE="DJ_Headshot"]

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]Why no SD card support? Gambler_3

Its all about maximizing profit there's more money to be made in making people buy the more expensive version of a nexus device to get more storage then having them buy the cheapest version and adding in a cheap micro sd card for storage in. Apple price gouges heavily as well for storage but at least they actually offers 64gb options on all there ios products albeit at a $200 extra cost which is absurd when a 64gb micro sd cost $50 but better then being limited to only 32gb on the nexus 10 and 7 and a pathetic 16gb for the nexus 4 which is far to little to be usable for me. 32GB is enough to be usable for me on a tablet that I'll use alongside my phone(Need more on my phone since that's where I will have all my apps,music, and any pictures and HD videos I take) but no reason why they can't offer 64gb version for all 3 would still prefer a micro sd slot but would eliminate my complaints for more storage. The good thing about android is the sheer amount of choices if I don't like what a product offers for the price there are other choices to pick from.

If milking was the strategy with the nexus products then they wouldnt be priced so cheap to begin with.

Its a deceptively cheap price for those who need more then 8/16gb of on board storage and there still trying to price there products competitively compare to other android competitors and especially apple under cutting them by $130 and $100 for the 7 and 10 inch tablets makes googles tablets more attractive. Being that they own the google play market and make money on anything purchased there they can afford to do this much like amazon with its kindle fires which are locked into the amazon app store.

#-44 Posted by Gambler_3 (7607 posts) -

Its a deceptively cheap price for those who need more then 8/16gb of on board storage and there still trying to price there products competitively compare to other android competitors and especially apple under cutting them by $130 and $100 for the 7 and 10 inch tablets makes googles tablets more attractive. Being that they own the google play market and make money on anything purchased there they can afford to do this much like amazon with its kindle fires which are locked into the amazon app store.

DJ_Headshot

I dont really understand what you said. What is deceptively cheap?

And google is also interested in protecting the search and maps services so they want people to remain attracted towards android. It is an extremely important platform for google in the transition to mobile devices and as revenue will dwindle from the desktop its android which will be riding google's services as iOS is distancing itself from google and WP obviously never had google services.

I dont think google really minds if you get a galaxy S3 or one X instead of a nexus phone but they just want you to stay away from amazon products. The nexus 4 pricing model could be a preparation in advance to deal with an amazon phone. Before the kindle fire came nexus products were actually pretty pricey, it was almost like you are paying a premium for the stock OS. With the release of the kindle fire google knew that no one else is going to follow a no profit no loss srategy so google had to do something about it or amazon will end up with a substantial market share from budget customers.

#-43 Posted by DJ_Headshot (6292 posts) -

[QUOTE="DJ_Headshot"]

Gambler_3

I dont really understand what you said. What is deceptively cheap?

And google is also interested in protecting the search and maps services so they want people to remain attracted towards android. It is an extremely important platform for google in the transition to mobile devices and as revenue will dwindle from the desktop its android which will be riding google's services as iOS is distancing itself from google and WP obviously never had google services.

I dont think google really minds if you get a galaxy S3 or one X instead of a nexus phone but they just want you to stay away from amazon products. The nexus 4 pricing model could be a preparation in advance to deal with an amazon phone. Before the kindle fire came nexus products were actually pretty pricey, it was almost like you are paying a premium for the stock OS. With the release of the kindle fire google knew that no one else is going to follow a no profit no loss srategy so google had to do something about it or amazon will end up with a substantial market share from budget customers.

Its deceptively cheap because its $400 for the cheapest nexus 10 tablet but with only 16gb of storage and non expandable storage if you want more memory you need to pay another $100 to get the 32gb version vs would you could do on most other android tablets buy the base $400 model and pay $20 for a 32gb micro sd to addon the the 16gb giving you 48gb. You would need to spend an extra $200(assuming there was a nexus 10 64gb) to be able to beat that. Of course someone who needs are perfectly met with 8/16gb then your getting a great deal on all the nexus products even with the marked up storage prices there still good deals given there impressive specs.

#-42 Posted by Gambler_3 (7607 posts) -

Its deceptively cheap because its $400 for the cheapest nexus 10 tablet but with only 16gb of storage and non expandable storage if you want more memory you need to pay another $100 to get the 32gb version vs would you could do on most other android tablets buy the base $400 model and pay $20 for a 32gb micro sd to addon the the 16gb giving you 48gb. You would need to spend an extra $200(assuming there was a nexus 10 64gb) to be able to beat that. Of course someone who needs are perfectly met with 8/16gb then your getting a great deal on all the nexus products even with the marked up storage prices there still good deals given there impressive specs.

DJ_Headshot

The 32GB nexus 10 for $500 is still a great deal. I will agree though that it should be priced at $450 for a more reasonable price difference between the 16 and 32GB version.

#-41 Posted by sweeten16 (2872 posts) -
I seriously feel that getting hold of a nexus 4 16gb before atleast christmas direct from google will be difficult. I really want a new phone as well, I don't even own an android phone at the moment :/
#-40 Posted by trastamad03 (4859 posts) -
I seriously feel that getting hold of a nexus 4 16gb before atleast christmas direct from google will be difficult. I really want a new phone as well, I don't even own an android phone at the moment :/ sweeten16
What luck! If you're in Canada, around Noon PST, the Nexus4 will be available to purchase on GooglePlay. Just received an email about it.
#-39 Posted by WWIAB (4352 posts) -
Make a 32GB Nexus 4 and I'll buy it I've fallen in love with my new Nexus 7 32GB
#-38 Posted by kraken2109 (13257 posts) -

Nexus 10 out of stock :(

Want one in time for christmas

#-37 Posted by Evolvington (25 posts) -
Great tablets. But I'm still sour over getting 8 GB less than I currently could. Still love my Nexus though.
#-36 Posted by Pittfan666 (8548 posts) -
Any opinions on Nexus 7 carries/covers? Been looking around for a decent one at a decent price.
#-35 Posted by flipin_jackass (9729 posts) -

Any opinions on Nexus 7 carries/covers? Been looking around for a decent one at a decent price.Pittfan666
I bought this one which is pretty good, but it make me look like I'm holding a bible sometimes. Unfortunately that model doesn't have the auto sleep/wake function, but I'm sure you can find one now that does for a few more dollars.

I also got this one which is neat, but you have to remove it every time you want to use the tablet as opposed to just opening the flap as with many cases out there.

If I was to get a new one, I'd probably get this which is low profile. Or maybe this which is pretty cool, but it's pricey and seems bulky for my purpose.

#-34 Posted by Tropicalshower (10813 posts) -
Is the Nexus 10 sold at stores?
#-33 Posted by TwistedShade (3139 posts) -

Any opinions on Nexus 7 carries/covers? Been looking around for a decent one at a decent price.Pittfan666
If I end up getting one for Xmas i'll likely grab this cover. Video Review makes it look nice and it has a built in stand.

http://www.amazon.com/Google-Tablet-Leather-Supcase-Sapphire/dp/B008HDLI9Y/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1F8O8EMB8DGSM&coliid=ICSZ1VWTVDEE5

#-32 Posted by Pittfan666 (8548 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pittfan666"]Any opinions on Nexus 7 carries/covers? Been looking around for a decent one at a decent price.flipin_jackass

I bought this one which is pretty good, but it make me look like I'm holding a bible sometimes. Unfortunately that model doesn't have the auto sleep/wake function, but I'm sure you can find one now that does for a few more dollars.

I also got this one which is neat, but you have to remove it every time you want to use the tablet as opposed to just opening the flap as with many cases out there.

If I was to get a new one, I'd probably get this which is low profile. Or maybe this which is pretty cool, but it's pricey and seems bulky for my purpose.

Those are both pretty decent. The wake up feature isn't A big deal to me. Prefer a tan color to the black artificial leather look.
#-31 Posted by kraken2109 (13257 posts) -
Is the Nexus 10 sold at stores? Tropicalshower
Supposedly being stocked at staples in the US. Don't know if they have much stock though.
#-30 Posted by XaosII (16705 posts) -

Anyone know any information on the supposedly $99 Nexus 7 that should be out early in 2013?

#-29 Posted by ItsEvolution (2593 posts) -

Anyone know any information on the supposedly $99 Nexus 7 that should be out early in 2013?

XaosII

If that happens, everyone else in the 7" space other than Amazon should just give up.

#-28 Posted by NVIDIATI (7959 posts) -

XaosII

It might not be a Nexus device, but leaks have shown ASUS working on what's likely a budget (~$99) tablet.

The tablet was running Android 4.1.1 and has a 1024x600 display (likely 7 inch).

It was also equipped with an ARM based CPU @ 1ghz (likely dual core), and a Mali-400 GPU.

d402f34d-6bd3-46b0-ae24-043a1c3538cc.png

#-27 Posted by kraken2109 (13257 posts) -

Nexus 10 still out of stock, my christmas is gonna suck.

#-26 Posted by AutoPilotOn (8624 posts) -
I just got a Nexus 7 for Christmas but I havent gotten to actually open it yet!
#-25 Posted by adamosmaki (9929 posts) -
Just like HTC droid DNA i really wanna like this phone but apparently 2 stupid decisions make this a no-no Why the heck in this time and age you only have 16gb available with no MicroSd ( with usable storage at about 12gb only ) ? At least if you are not gonna have MicroSD expansion make a 32gb model Also when did non replaceable battery became the norm ? Lately every other high end phone with the exception of Samsung has a non replaceable battery and no MicroSd slot
#-24 Posted by Gambler_3 (7607 posts) -

Also when did non replaceable battery became the norm ? Lately every other high end phone with the exception of Samsung has a non replaceable battery and no MicroSd slot adamosmaki
Because everyone wants to make the phone as thin as possible. Secondly its to achieve a uniform design where the phone is a single piece. I personally dont really mind a locked battery as long as its a big one.

However I will argue that phones with battery cover actually look better since they dont have to display all the codes and made in china stuff at the back as they arent legally required to do that and can just keep all that info under the battery cover. That gives the back a much cleaner and minimalist look.

#-23 Posted by adamosmaki (9929 posts) -

[QUOTE="adamosmaki"]Also when did non replaceable battery became the norm ? Lately every other high end phone with the exception of Samsung has a non replaceable battery and no MicroSd slot Gambler_3

Because everyone wants to make the phone as thin as possible. Secondly its to achieve a uniform design where the phone is a single piece. I personally dont really mind a locked battery as long as its a big one.

hardly i think is the reason considering how thin GS3 is . Also uniform or not design what does it matter? All it matters is how it feels on hand Besides there are alot of people that with even a 2000-2200 mah wont be enough ( i often carry a 2nd battery when i travel ) . Removable storage and battery are important details that samsung takes care and that is one of the reasons their phones sell so good Honestly if HTC DNA had those 2 features how much better would have sold ?
#-22 Posted by AutoPilotOn (8624 posts) -
I been trying to update to 4.2 all night. It downloads starts to update then shows a android on his side warning
#-21 Posted by kraken2109 (13257 posts) -

Just to let anyone in the UK know, 16GB Nexus 10 is now in stock!

Hopefully that means the 32GB will be soon, 16GB is not enough for me, even with USB OTG.

#-20 Posted by gmaster456 (7568 posts) -
Still waiting for the damn nexus 4 to get back in stock. It's been what, 3 months and there's still supply issues? It's absolutely pathetic companies the size of Google and LG can't get a product launch right. And if the rumors are true of only selling 400,000 units, that's even more pathetic. At least let me place an order! I'm trying to give google my money but they're making it hard!
#-19 Posted by sweeten16 (2872 posts) -
It's still not possible to get one here in UK all sold out.
#-18 Posted by flipin_jackass (9729 posts) -
Still waiting for the damn nexus 4 to get back in stock. It's been what, 3 months and there's still supply issues? It's absolutely pathetic companies the size of Google and LG can't get a product launch right. And if the rumors are true of only selling 400,000 units, that's even more pathetic. At least let me place an order! I'm trying to give google my money but they're making it hard!gmaster456
Man, I remember looking at the play store for the very short time when it was available. Had I known it was limited, would have bought like 10 and sell each for ~$5-600. lol
#-17 Posted by kraken2109 (13257 posts) -

16GB 10 is no longer in stock in the UK, and the 32GB never came back at all.

Getting annoyed now...

#-16 Posted by -Renegade (8340 posts) -
Still waiting for the damn nexus 4 to get back in stock. It's been what, 3 months and there's still supply issues? It's absolutely pathetic companies the size of Google and LG can't get a product launch right. And if the rumors are true of only selling 400,000 units, that's even more pathetic. At least let me place an order! I'm trying to give google my money but they're making it hard!gmaster456
That really is pathetic. Google should have taken pre orders so they knew how many to order.
#-15 Posted by kraken2109 (13257 posts) -

Nexus 10s back in stock on UK google play, ordered one this morning :o

#-14 Posted by kraken2109 (13257 posts) -

Arrived today, samsung's seal was broken but all seems well, might phone google and see what they say.

#-13 Posted by Haroon90 (25 posts) -
There no excuse not to include micro sd cards in the nexus line,i and many others have a very large collection of 'stuff' we like to enjoy on a portable media player and if u only include 8gb in a mobile device there's no way im going to be able to buy one no matter how good of a deal it looks from the spec/price side of things. If google thinks im going to buy/rebuy everything i enjoy from the google play store (of what is even available on it) by putting such a low amount of storage in there devices im never going to end up buying a nexus product. But then again from what i gather the whole point of google offering high spec'ed devices at low prices is to bolster there google play store and make up for selling at cost from that,so the nexus line isn't aimed at someone like me anyway i guess...that's if you can even find a nexus 4 but that's another matter LOL
#-12 Posted by NVIDIATI (7959 posts) -

Nexus 4 will be coming to Rogers and Fido in February. Videotron will also be getting the Nexus 4.

No word on pricing.

For comparison, the LG Optimus G 2600 is currently $25 with a 3 year contract on Rogers.

#-11 Posted by kraken2109 (13257 posts) -

Posted this from my nexus 10, it handles this forum perfectly

#-10 Posted by Tropicalshower (10813 posts) -
  • My N10 arrived about 40 minutes ago.
#-9 Posted by gmaster456 (7568 posts) -

Nexus 4 will be coming to Rogers and Fido in February. Videotron will also be getting the Nexus 4.

No word on pricing.

For comparison, the LG Optimus G 2600 is currently $25 with a 3 year contract on Rogers.

NVIDIATI

Who keeps a phone for 3 years? Or would at least sign a contract to?

#-8 Posted by awptical (835 posts) -

done waiting on the Nexus 4. It was a tremendous value, but impossible to get a hold of. Right now Im looking towards the HTC m7 or the Galaxy S4. By the time Nexus 4 stock is back in, itll probably be March or April and be completely obsolete by then. Sad.

#-7 Posted by NVIDIATI (7959 posts) -

[QUOTE="NVIDIATI"]

No word on pricing.

gmaster456

Who keeps a phone for 3 years? Or would at least sign a contract to?

Unfortunately due to lack of competition and corporate greed here in Canada, 3 years became the standard (although you could upgrade after sometime). Only recently have things improved, but they still need some more work.

Two possible regulations may force all phones to be unlocked, and contract limits of 2 years.

When it comes to network and devices, Canada over the past few years has leapfrogged most of the world, taking a spot on the leading edge of the industry.

#-6 Posted by mystic_knight (13801 posts) -

done waiting on the Nexus 4. It was a tremendous value, but impossible to get a hold of. Right now Im looking towards the HTC m7 or the Galaxy S4. By the time Nexus 4 stock is back in, itll probably be March or April and be completely obsolete by then. Sad.

awptical
what about the motorola x-phone, its due to hit the shelves in june/july. :P You will make all those n4 purchasers jelly ;)
#-5 Posted by adamosmaki (9929 posts) -

Nexus 10s back in stock on UK google play, ordered one this morning :o

kraken2109

I was in the UK 3 months and the moment i left Nexus 10 becomes available at play store ? So typical. Unfortunately here in Cyprus google play will only sell apps and games and i cant find Nexus 10 in any retailer including Amazon Uk and Ebay UK. I gave up waiting for the damn think. I decided to wait for Galaxy note 8.0 or get a Nexus 7 on Amazon

#-4 Posted by awptical (835 posts) -
Hmm, havent heard of this phone. Is it going to be something of a Nexus related device?
#-3 Posted by -Renegade (8340 posts) -
Hmm, havent heard of this phone. Is it going to be something of a Nexus related device?awptical
Rumor has it as goolge's new flagship phone.
#-2 Posted by mystic_knight (13801 posts) -
[QUOTE="awptical"]Hmm, havent heard of this phone. Is it going to be something of a Nexus related device?-Renegade
Rumor has it as goolge's new flagship phone.

It won't be a nexus phone apparently but it is still heavily influenced by google. Rumours has it KLP will be launched on it!
#-1 Posted by GTR12 (10386 posts) -

Australian retailer Harvey Norman is selling it unlocked here, starting 1st Feb.

#0 Posted by flipin_jackass (9729 posts) -

Nexus 4 will be coming to Rogers and Fido in February. NVIDIATI

Sweet. I hope that's true, I'm with Fido and I lost my phone recently. Don't want to spend like $500 on a new one, and I'm hoping they don't charge that much for it. I got a few credit dollars with them which I hope helps.