Get an S3 now or wait for the S4?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#1 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Topic title says it all. Should I upgrade my phone to a Galaxy S3 or wait for the S4 which is rumored to be out in 2-3 months?

The S4 is nothing but tons of rumors right now, but they all are indicating an early 2013 launch of the phone. I am going to keep my Verizon plan so I would be getting an S3 with ICS 4.0 instead of Jelly Bean (despite constant rumors Jelly Bean will be hitting Verizon's S3 soon).

There is no other Android phone I'm really looking at. The S3 seems to be everything I want. I considered an iPhone 5 but then wrote it off as crazy thoughts as I'm not a fan of iOS at all (I have an iPad, and the thing is great except for its OS).

Any suggestions?

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 mystic_knight
Member since 2003 • 13801 Posts
S4. s3 is too old,
TwistedShade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 TwistedShade
Member since 2012 • 3139 Posts

I would just get the S3. Nobody knows when the S4 is actually coming and the S3 is still a great phone. That being said have you bothered looking into the Nexus4 or just no interest in it?

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mystic_knight

I would just get the S3. Nobody knows when the S4 is actually coming and the S3 is still a great phone. That being said have you bothered looking into the Nexus4 or just no interest in it?

TwistedShade
Well to be honest the s4 will have a gpu that works with next gen graphics software, better textures and scaling with newer gpu's. The nexus 4 does have it thanks to the s4 pro, and the GS4 will have the T604 most likely. The GS3 is just not worth it in my honest opinion. I like to have the best and you won't be getting it with the s3. There are already phones that surpass it now.
TwistedShade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TwistedShade

[QUOTE="TwistedShade"]

mystic_knight

Well to be honest the s4 will have a gpu that works with next gen graphics software, better textures and scaling with newer gpu's. The nexus 4 does have it thanks to the s4 pro, and the GS4 will have the T604 most likely. The GS3 is just not worth it in my honest opinion. I like to have the best and you won't be getting it with the s3. There are already phones that surpass it now.

The problem with having the *Best* is there is always going to be better. I'm sure when the S4 comes out we'll start hearing rumors about a new Nexus phone, or the Note3, and since it'll only be a *few* months away why not just wait? It's a never ending cycle.

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mystic_knight
Thats fine but always buy the best on launch and you generally wont regret it, buy the phone that was the best 4 months ago, and it is more so of a regret due to having better at time of purchase.
TwistedShade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TwistedShade

I'm sure it varies by person but I got my S2 back in March despite the S3 being 3 month's away and I still don't hold any regret over it. And now I figure by the Time I can upgrade again (October of next year) It'll be a great time with all the new phones having just came out.

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 NVIDIATI
Member since 2010 • 8463 Posts

Wait for the GS4. The hardware jump is enough to justify waiting.

The GS4 will also have support for OpenGL ES 3.0 and OpenCL 1.1.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#9 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

Galaxy S3 was launched in may and then the verizon version came a month later. So you are looking at a 6 months wait, since the GS3 is still selling so well I dont see why samsung would cut its life to 10 months.

Its really not recommended to wait that long in the mobile world and you know that. There is no better android phone on verizon and since you are well aware of lackluster OTA support on verizon so you would be happy with your phone.

The only limitation in S3 is the amount of ram, you are going to sometimes get launcher refresh because of it but games and apps wont have a problem.

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mystic_knight
There is no better android phone on verizon.Gambler_3
Galaxy note 2 and HTC Dna are both better. I would even argue the droid razr maxx hd is even probably on par with the GS3.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Gambler_3

[QUOTE="Gambler_3"] There is no better android phone on verizon.mystic_knight
Galaxy note 2 and HTC Dna are both better. I would even argue the droid razr maxx hd is even probably on par with the GS3.

All 3 of those phones are much more difficult to handle than the S3. All the reviews of the DNA and the new razr have pointed out to the poor ergonomics. Note 2 obviously was never an easy to use phone to begin with.

And Droid dna has only 12GB memory with no SD card, thats unacceptable with a 1080p screen.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#12 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts
Samsung's Galaxy S phones are future proof. Hell, you could get S2 right now, and be set. S3 is a great purchase, and I think you should get that.
adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

Thats fine but always buy the best on launch and you generally wont regret it, buy the phone that was the best 4 months ago, and it is more so of a regret due to having better at time of purchase.mystic_knight
not alot phones surpassed GS3. Still a beast of a machine. At least the international version with the quad core and Mali 400. Dont know what version verizon has though. If its the dual core with the adreno 225 the indeed the gpu will start to show its age rather sooner than later Wasdie if you want the best hardware the new Nexus 4 is a great choice or if you can get the quad core version of GS3 still a great choice. There is of course the phablet that note 2 is with the higher clocked enyxos chipset of GS3 ( so good performance ) if you can handle the 5,5" screen

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#14 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

I bought an S3 but included in my plan is a way to get roughly 50% off retail of a new phone, so if the S4 is really all that great I'll pay for it.

I just couldn't handle my Thunderbolt anymore.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Gambler_3

Oh I forgot the verizon S3 is different. Well you do get a slightly inferior chipset but actually the 2GB ram is gonna make up for it and possibly more.

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mystic_knight

Oh I forgot the verizon S3 is different. Well you do get a slightly inferior chipset but actually the 2GB ram is gonna make up for it and possibly more.

Gambler_3
Why do you think i said the razr maxx hd is probably on par with it... I would have probably got the razr maxx hd personally, just for the battery life.. but thats personal opinion. I hope you enjoy it, i wouldn't have done it personally, but as long as you are happy with it.
TwistedShade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TwistedShade

[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

mystic_knight

Why do you think i said the razr maxx hd is probably on par with it... I would have probably got the razr maxx hd personally, just for the battery life.. but thats personal opinion. I hope you enjoy it, i wouldn't have done it personally, but as long as you are happy with it.

Just curious which phone you're using at the moment?

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mystic_knight
Motorola defy + I went from a few different phones, including tegra 3 one x and one xl with LTE. I played with the samsung galaxy s3 and the motorola razr m... The only phone i enjoyed from all those was the RAZR M. I have not updated my phone simply because the optimus g has everything i want in a phone. I got my dad the RAZR M and he absolutely loves it. Its the most premium feeling phone i have ever touched as well, The only reason i didn't get that or the RAZR HD is because the chipset is a little dated, i really don't want the Snapdragon S4. so the S4 pro is the chipset i am after.
PinkiePirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 PinkiePirate
Member since 2012 • 1973 Posts

Why not the Nexus 4?

It currently has the most powerful SoC, a great non-pentile IPS display, superb audio quality and you get updates directly from Google. When Android 5.0 comes out, your S4 might not get it for a long, long time (or at all). The Nexus 4 will get it the week it comes out.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Gambler_3

Why not the Nexus 4?

It currently has the most powerful SoC, a great non-pentile IPS display, superb audio quality and you get updates directly from Google. When Android 5.0 comes out, your S4 might not get it for a long, long time (or at all). The Nexus 4 will get it the week it comes out.

PinkiePirate

I am afraid the nexus 4 has turned out to be a disappointment. There are far too many bad things about it.

- glass back
- no 32GB version and no SD card slot
- terrible battery life
- throttling issues due to overheating(perhaps contributing to the bad battery life)
- takes a ridiculous time to fully charge(and obviously doesnt help the fact that the battery life is bad to begin with)
- camera isnt as good as the competition.

Dont know if LG goofed up or google but this certainly hasnt turned out to be the device I was expecting it to be when it was announced.

And mind you it may have the most powerful SoC but it isnt exclusive to it, many other phones are already coming with the same chipset. And who told you superb audio quality? No current-gen android phone has superb audio quality.

PinkiePirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 PinkiePirate

[QUOTE="PinkiePirate"]

Why not the Nexus 4?

Gambler_3

I am afraid the nexus 4 has turned out to be a disappointment. There are far too many bad things about it.

- glass back
- terrible battery life
- throttling issues due to overheating(perhaps contributing to the bad battery life)
- takes a ridiculous time to fully charge(and obviously doesnt help the fact that the battery life is bad to begin with)

Dont know if LG goofed up or google but this certainly hasnt turned out to be the device I was expecting it to be when it was announced.

And mind you it may have the most powerful SoC but it isnt exclusive to it, many other phones are already coming with the same chipset. And who told you superb audio quality? No current-gen android phone has superb audio quality.

None of those are real problems. Most of the problems are software issues that have been fixed by the guys over at XDA. The Chrome browser is the reason the N4 scored low on the web performance and battery life tests.

Also, the Nexus 4 has an excellent DAC, which puts it's audio quality up there with the iPhone 5 and the GS3 with the Wolfson DAC. There's an entire thread on the N4's sound quality here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1962872

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Gambler_3

[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

[QUOTE="PinkiePirate"]

Why not the Nexus 4?

PinkiePirate

- glass back
- terrible battery life

None of those are real problems. Most of the problems are software issues that have been fixed by the guys over at XDA. The Chrome browser is the reason the N4 scored low on the web performance and battery life tests.

Also, the Nexus 4 has an excellent DAC, which puts it's audio quality up there with the iPhone 5 and the GS3 with the Wolfson DAC. There's an entire thread on the N4's sound quality here:

Nah thats just a convenient explanation even if its software google is to blame for it, I dont want to put mods on my phone to solve issues. Mods are nice as extra features but shouldnt be something to rely on.

The memory, glass back, camera and charging time are infact not software issues.

Talking about battery the video playback endurance and standy time is terrible.

And the audio output is marred by the same issue as all current android phones,

Clean audio output is on the quiet side

http://www.gsmarena.com/google_nexus_4-review-860p8.php

The volume levels are not good and no amount of "clean audio" can make up for that. In that thread most people are complaining about the volume level as well.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Gambler_3

Its coming tomorrow.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/13/verizon-samsung-galaxy-s3-jelly-bean/

PinkiePirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 PinkiePirate

[QUOTE="PinkiePirate"]

[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]I am afraid the nexus 4 has turned out to be a disappointment. There are far too many bad things about it.

- glass back
- terrible battery life

Gambler_3

Nah thats just a convenient explanation even if its software google is to blame for it, I dont want to put mods on my phone to solve issues. Mods are nice as extra features but shouldnt be something to rely on.

The memory, glass back, camera and charging time are infact not software issues.

Talking about battery the video playback endurance and standy time is terrible.

And the audio output is marred by the same issue as all current android phones,

Clean audio output is on the quiet side

http://www.gsmarena.com/google_nexus_4-review-860p8.php

The volume levels are not good and no amount of "clean audio" can make up for that. In that thread most people are complaining about the volume level as well.

The charging time, battery life and standby time are software issues. When I upgraded my Galaxy Nexus to 4.2.1, battery life took a huge hit. My phone was snappier and had battery life that was twice as good on 4.1.2. 4.2 feels like it was rushed to get the N4 and N10 out before the holidays.

gmaster456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26 gmaster456
Member since 2008 • 7569 Posts
*Ahem* Droid DNA.
imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts
Just get it...if you wait you'll never buy plus the price has now come down heaps. There is nothing besides gaming you really need more than a s2 for let alone the s3 and the s3 will easily last you a couple of years.
l34052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28 l34052
Member since 2005 • 3906 Posts

Personally i would wait for the s4 which will be cuttin edge tech when it does arrive rather gettin an s3 just for the sake of having a new phone right now.

My current contract is due for renewal in june next year so im hopin to get a galaxy s4 to replace my current s2, truth be told though im still more than happy with the s2 it does absolutely everythin i want from it and its still plenty quick enough even when compared to brand new phones today.

Ive had samsung phones for a while now so am lookin to stay with them unless somethin completely ground breaking comes up between now and june.

PinkiePirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 PinkiePirate

I predict the Galaxy S4 will have a quad or 8-core A-15 Krait CPU.

The Galaxy S4 probably won't be that much faster than the Nexus 4 in CPU performance, but I am almost certain the GPU will be unbeatable when it comes out.

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 NVIDIATI
Member since 2010 • 8463 Posts

^ The only planned 8 core from Samsung will follow ARM's big.LITTLE concept. It isn't even a true 8 core, it uses 4 Cortex A7 cores and 4 Cortex A15 cores.

The S4 is likely to use Exynos 5440 or 5450.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

Thought about getting the S3/Note 2 when it's time to renew the contract, but just decided to wait since my Captivate still serves me well. S4 is definitely what I'm waiting for though.

Waiting > impulse purchase, every single time.

Rednrol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33 Rednrol
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

Galaxy S3 was launched in may and then the verizon version came a month later. So you are looking at a 6 months wait, since the GS3 is still selling so well I dont see why samsung would cut its life to 10 months.

Its really not recommended to wait that long in the mobile world and you know that. There is no better android phone on verizon and since you are well aware of lackluster OTA support on verizon so you would be happy with your phone.

The only limitation in S3 is the amount of ram, you are going to sometimes get launcher refresh because of it but games and apps wont have a problem.

Gambler_3
I agree, The launcher does have issues every now and then, But all in all the phone itself has been the best phone I have had. The iphone 4s was a great phone for me, But I wanted to do so much more. Once it broke (Obviously) I switched to the S3 and I have LOVED it since. Great phone, Il wait til my contract is up and upgrade to the S5 by then haha :)