Is Kinect really worth it? Are there enough games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Sonny360Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Sonny360Elite
Member since 2009 • 1593 Posts
I really only like to play sports games on the 360 and don't play a lot of games. I do like the idea of Kinect and being able to play sports games, dance games, fitness games, UFC games, etc. Has the Kinect really caught on and would you say it is worth purchasing? I'm considering purchasing a new 360 and I'm not sure if I should spend a little extra to get Kinect. I didn't expect it to still be a $100 difference in the cost of the package, so now I need to consider if that would be a worthy investment or if it would be worth it to me to buy games for. I appreciate any input.
wazzawazza18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2 wazzawazza18
Member since 2009 • 936 Posts

no its a gimmick a novelty it wont have you entertained for long

shivR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 shivR
Member since 2006 • 26 Posts

I agree. While it may sound cool it basically provides a weak under developed and poorly utilized gimmick that doesn't work or provide any enhancement to games.

There aren't enough kinect specific features and the kinect only games are probaby around the same quality and depths as the mobile games.

godzillavskong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#4 godzillavskong
Member since 2007 • 7904 Posts
Is the investement worth the return? Well, that depends on how much you enjoy it and end up using it. I've had mine since launch and probably only played it 6 or 7 times. Its really good for party games, but that' where the fun ends. Most of the other games , which aren't really Kinect party titles, just use gimmicks, or arent that responsive. Mass Effect 3 being the exception. I really like how they implemented the voice commands in that game, which work very well. My favorite titles for Kinect are Kinect Sports and the pack-in title, Kinect Adventures. My wfie likes Dance Central , but I have to make sure I close my wndow blinds when I play. lol So to answer your question, no it's really not evolved enough quite yet, or have enough solid software to support it. It may take this Kinect 2.0 on Microsoft's next platform to get it right and more responisve.
Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

If you have your own family. With young childern. Then Kinect will be a blast. If it is just you then don't bother with kinect. It is meant to be played together at partys or with family. Depends if the kinect games appeal to you. There is about 130 games now. Are they worth it? that is up to the individual to decide.

JDWolfie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 JDWolfie
Member since 2007 • 1952 Posts

I've only heard the only game worth getting is Child of Eden. I think Kinect has become less about games and more how they can be incorporated into the regular games like Mass Effect 3 and Skyrim. I'm not sure what it does with Skyrim, but if you can do shouts, that would be kind of cool. It seems to me the only other good thing about Kinect is Kinect fun labs. Aren't you supposed to be able to do some sort of shopping with it, like see how certain clothes would be on you? I think for the most part, it seems like a gimmick. Wait and see what the new Kinect looks like.

konvikt_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 konvikt_17
Member since 2008 • 22378 Posts

nope.

my parents bought one, even after i told them not to, becuase we wouldnt use it.

they bought it anyways. i think it was used once by my sister the first day we got it.

now it just sits there collecting dust.

doombreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 doombreaker
Member since 2007 • 7567 Posts

I have a kinect...

I used it actively for the first month...

but after that...

it's been collecting dust...

doombreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 doombreaker
Member since 2007 • 7567 Posts

I have a kinect...

but after that...

godzillavskong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 godzillavskong

I have a kinect...

but after that...

doombreaker
After the novelty wears off it tends to do that. i'm also lazy, so even the thought of playing some Kinect Sports causes me to sweat. It will be better with Microsoft's next console. I'd hold off on getting one until then. I'm thinking it will probably be included in their next system.As long as they don't ruin our traditionally good franchises with tacked on kinect crap, I'm good.
XboxGuy1537

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#11 XboxGuy1537
Member since 2010 • 2360 Posts

It's not worth it. There are a few rare gems out there like Kinect Sports but most of the games are poorly calibirated with the Kinect. It results in A LOT of frustration.

I would keep your eye on the Kinect when the game Ryse by Crytek starts getting more news leaked. That looks like an actually really promising Kinect game.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

The only people who don't have a use for Kinect are people who don't play many games. I'm not saying they're casual, they just stick with a few franchises they know and don't play much.

Everyone else will find a use for Kinect.

There's quality full motion Kinect games like Gunstringer, Wreckateer, and Eden.

Now if you're into sports games or racing games then Kinect becomes invaluable.

The ability to change plays on the offensive and defensive side of the ball in Madden, FIFA, and the 2K series helps keep the flow of the game.

In Forza Horizon the ability to speak to the GPS and tell it what you want to go brings another layer of realism into the game by letting people act out driving situations as they would in real life.

Then you have games like Skyrim where it offers some unique controls for certain things but nothing really ground breaking.

Anyone who has a diverse list of games they play will find Kinect offering a helping hand here and there, for anyone who is a small time gamer who doesn't experiment much they wont find much to keep them occupied.

Avatar image for Cyanide4Suicid3
Cyanide4Suicid3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Cyanide4Suicid3
Member since 2012 • 733 Posts
The only game Im interested in on Kinnect is Star Wars, lol. I plan to get a new Xbox during tax season so Ill be getting the Star Wars bundle, ha. Like I said, Im not too interested in it but my fiancee wants it and I figure when my sons old enough to play a few games in the coming years, that would be a really good starting point for him. He's only 3 months old and Im already thinking ahead for the boy, ha.
Avatar image for Cyanide4Suicid3
Cyanide4Suicid3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Cyanide4Suicid3
Member since 2012 • 733 Posts

It's not worth it. There are a few rare gems out there like Kinect Sports but most of the games are poorly calibirated with the Kinect. It results in A LOT of frustration.

I would keep your eye on the Kinect when the game Ryse by Crytek starts getting more news leaked. That looks like an actually really promising Kinect game.

XboxGuy1537
Ryse is the first game that I said "I NEED A KINECT" for lol. I havent heard much about it lately though, I wont be surprised if they end up holding off and releasing it for next gen consoles.
SolitaryC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SolitaryC
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
The only thing i like about the Kinect is the the voice recognition. It comes in handy when you misplace your controller. Other than that...just like everyone else it collects dust
godzillavskong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 godzillavskong
[QUOTE="XboxGuy1537"]

Cyanide4Suicid3
Ryse is the first game that I said "I NEED A KINECT" for lol. I havent heard much about it lately though, I wont be surprised if they end up holding off and releasing it for next gen consoles.

I agree with u there.. It (ryse) does look impressive. Hopefully they get the controls down and don't ruin what could possibly be a awesome title.But yea, it probably could be on its way to the next Microsoft console instead, and also utilize this Kinect 2.0 system.
guitarsmash09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 guitarsmash09
Member since 2012 • 145 Posts

Its just a gimmick to get a $100 from you, and 95% of the games do not respond right.

MaddenBowler10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

User Lists: 1

#18 MaddenBowler10
Member since 2005 • 8999 Posts
People ask this all the time here and I will continue to say it sucks. The only few good games are the sports games and dance games. Everything else sucks. I wish I never spent my money on it.
godzillavskong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 godzillavskong
People ask this all the time here and I will continue to say it sucks. The only few good games are the sports games and dance games. Everything else sucks. I wish I never spent my money on it.MaddenBowler10
To each his own, but if you're a fan of good games, especially arcade ports, them you can't go wrong with the Dreamcast.
godzillavskong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 godzillavskong
[QUOTE="MaddenBowler10"]People ask this all the time here and I will continue to say it sucks. The only few good games are the sports games and dance games. Everything else sucks. I wish I never spent my money on it.godzillavskong
To each his own, but if you're a fan of good games, especially arcade ports, them you can't go wrong with the Dreamcast.

Totally clicked on the wrong post. Yeah, Kinect really doesn't have enough solid support to justify a purchase.
destinhpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#21 destinhpark
Member since 2006 • 4831 Posts

The Kinect is capable of many great ideas, but unfortunately it hasn't gotten anywhere. Shame.

Avatar image for GhettoBlastin92
GhettoBlastin92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GhettoBlastin92
Member since 2012 • 1231 Posts
I'd pick one up for cheap if you can find it.
VicBStard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 VicBStard
Member since 2002 • 25 Posts

As much as I try to love the Kinect, it does nothing but disappoint me. Apart from The Gunstringer, I've not found one Kinect title that I've actually enjoyed.

It doesn't help that you need a huge amount of space to effectively use the thing, either.

When I was reviewing games in New Zealand I'd regularly get sent Kinect titles by Microsoft. Even when I didn't pay for the things they still annoyed me. The Kinect just isn't precise enough to be a viable method of controlling games.

And then there was the travesty that was Kinect Star Wars...

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#24 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

There are many games, but it isn't worth it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Member since 2012 • 3185 Posts
I know quite a few people who purchased it. Now all the kinect devices sit collecting dust.
Avatar image for littlestreakier
littlestreakier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 littlestreakier
Member since 2004 • 2950 Posts

I don't really use my Kinect that much except for parties. However, I have two nieces and they absolutely LOVE the kinect so I'm still happy I got it. But if your getting it for you specifically I'd pass on it.

mrjoe345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 mrjoe345
I was wondering how you think fifa 2013 will play on the kinect i just think it can't be done
mrjoe345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mrjoe345
why it gathering dust buy a good game like i did i bout forza 4 and i cant stop playing it
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#29 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

i have only played one kenict game and never touched it again , standing up just does not feel good . and the ridiculous amount of space needed is another factor if you have a small loft chances are your never gonna be able to enjoy it i can't even enjoy it with my big bedroom (an entire basment or our big living room) cause your constantly moving one small error your goin to be injured or break something in the room thats the main reason i avoid kenict games at all costs . i do have sims 3 for voice recognition but other then that ---meh ,. it just does nothing but sit there ,