Hoffgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#2 Hoffgod
Member since 2006 • 12229 Posts
Seriously? I've come to expect odd scorings from GameSpot as of late and they continue to not disappoint. Braid is a great game and a lot of the stuff they say about it is correct, but they completely gloss over the fact that they're charging $15 for a 4 hour game with no replay value. Yet again, I find myself siding with IGN over GS on a review. This is a AA game, no more, no less.
Not-A-Stalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Not-A-Stalker
Member since 2006 • 5165 Posts
Really? I played the trial and... I don't know, it just seemed like your regular run of the mill 2D platformer with the ability to go back and correct your mistakes. I know it was just a short trial but... really?
Avatar image for Einhanderkiller
Einhanderkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Einhanderkiller
Member since 2003 • 13259 Posts

Seriously? I've come to expect odd scorings from GameSpot as of late and they continue to not disappoint. Braid is a great game and a lot of the stuff they say about it is correct, but they completely gloss over the fact that they're charging $15 for a 4 hour game with no replay value. Yet again, I find myself siding with IGN over GS on a review. This is a AA game, no more, no less.Hoffgod

Tom Mc Shea said in the review that Braid cost more than most Xbox Live Arcade games and he said that the game "will never get old."

Hoffgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 Hoffgod
Member since 2006 • 12229 Posts

[QUOTE="Hoffgod"]Seriously? I've come to expect odd scorings from GameSpot as of late and they continue to not disappoint. Braid is a great game and a lot of the stuff they say about it is correct, but they completely gloss over the fact that they're charging $15 for a 4 hour game with no replay value. Yet again, I find myself siding with IGN over GS on a review. This is a AA game, no more, no less.Einhanderkiller

Tom Mc Shea said in the review that Braid cost more than most Xbox Live Arcade games and he said that the game "will never get old."

The game will never get old, as long as you enjoy doing the same puzzles you've already figured out over and over. And yes, he mentions the price, but he doesn't discuss value, which is even more important. The closest he comes is when he's signing off with some feel-good comments that are as pleasant sounding as they are abstract and meaningless, including this gem: "it is outside of and beyond time." Sure, it sounds good, but what the hell does it mean? And that's my problem with this review in whole. It reads like a feel good review where the reviewer just says "This game made me feel happy," except in a lot more words. Sorry buddy, but you're being paid to play games. I expect a more thorough analysis and evaluation of the game than that, especially if it's one you're giving the second highest score possible.
chutup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 chutup
Member since 2005 • 7656 Posts

Really? I played the trial and... I don't know, it just seemed like your regular run of the mill 2D platformer with the ability to go back and correct your mistakes. I know it was just a short trial but... really?Not-A-Stalker

I think it gets better after the first few levels because the videos I've seen make it look terrible, but everyone I know who's got it thinks it's brilliant.

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Dreams-Visions
Member since 2006 • 26578 Posts
Will buy ASAP.
blizzvalve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 blizzvalve
Member since 2007 • 14052 Posts
Meh. I'm not intereested in the game
Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts
You sure like making threads with the title "So...[game] got a [score]", don't you? :P

The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#10 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts

Seriously? I've come to expect odd scorings from GameSpot as of late and they continue to not disappoint. Braid is a great game and a lot of the stuff they say about it is correct, but they completely gloss over the fact that they're charging $15 for a 4 hour game with no replay value. Yet again, I find myself siding with IGN over GS on a review. This is a AA game, no more, no less.Hoffgod

Thing is though, it's not just GS that's heaping on the praise, Eurogamer, typically a very tough reviewer, gave this game a 10. 1UP, while not quite as tough, gave it an A+. GS may be on the high side of the review scale, which isn't exactly typical, and the review may be full of hyperbole but it's not really that far fetched.

jechtshot78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 jechtshot78
Member since 2004 • 29851 Posts

K

But guys, please play the demo before you buy.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

I'm intrigued in this game.

Too bad I don't have a hard-drive. :(

CJL13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13 CJL13
Member since 2005 • 19137 Posts

Are the XBLA games on the same scale as the 360 games though?

jechtshot78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 jechtshot78
Member since 2004 • 29851 Posts

Are the XBLA games on the same scale as the 360 games though?

CJL13

No, they are not.

sonicmj1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#15 sonicmj1
Member since 2003 • 9130 Posts

Really? I played the trial and... I don't know, it just seemed like your regular run of the mill 2D platformer with the ability to go back and correct your mistakes. I know it was just a short trial but... really?Not-A-Stalker

It's not a platformer. It's more of a puzzle game, where you use time as a tool to solve things. Only at the beginning of the game is it really platformer-centric. That becomes more apparent as you go.

I beat Braid, and it deserves every point of that 9.5.

I'm personally not a person who cares a ton about value as a function of time. Portal and Ico are two of my favorite games, and they're both under 5 hours. Braid is about as long as Ico, and it's quality all the way through, with great puzzles that use time in a way no game has to date, perfect presentation in both graphics and sound, and a story presented in a way that few other game stories have been to date, with a fantastic ending tying it all together.

It's to 2D games what Portal was to first-person; an inventive take on its genre, with clever writing (serious, introspective, and a bit on the pretentious side, instead of funny), perfect mechanics, and no filler, available for cheap. I'm glad I spent 1200 MS points (available as a convenient package from the Zune store) for what is one of the better games available on the 360 as a whole.

You really should give this game a chance.

meggido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 meggido
Member since 2005 • 16980 Posts

I remember reading about Braid on kotaku awhile back, it sounded really really good though I forgot it's name until now.

Now if only they'd release the PC version...

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#17 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts

I think its fun.

MoldOnHold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 MoldOnHold
Member since 2005 • 11760 Posts
Geez.... never even heard of this thing. Will try the trial though.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts
Geez.... never even heard of this thing. Will try the trial though.MoldOnHold
Hey! Where were you dude? We missed you. :oops:
MoldOnHold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 MoldOnHold
Member since 2005 • 11760 Posts
[QUOTE="MoldOnHold"]Geez.... never even heard of this thing. Will try the trial though.Aljosa23
Hey! Where were you dude? We missed you. :oops:

Hah, yeah I haven't much time to come on here lately. I'll post a blog about it later tonight. :P
Skittles_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Skittles_McGee
Member since 2008 • 9136 Posts
I bought it. I have like 23 puzzle pieces so far I think. Its pretty good actually. The puzzles are tough, but not like "frustrating". I actually feel like I'm achieving something when I get a puzzle piece that seems like it would be impossible to obtain.
The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#22 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts
I'll be buing this tomorrow. I tried the trial version earlier today and I was impressed. Best of all, it seemed like I hadn't seen anything yet so the full version looks like it's going to be pretty sweet.