PelekotansDream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 0

#1 PelekotansDream
Member since 2005 • 7602 Posts

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/06/09/call-of-duty-world-at-war-revealed-treyarch-to-develop/

According to the article, Treyarch aims to "explore the darkest corners of WWII," giving the military shooter more of a survival horror flavor by "tackling darker themes" and pitting players against a "new, seemingly alien fighting force." Activision has yet to officially announce Call of Duty: World at War, though it seems clear that we'll be trading in our guided anti-tank missiles for submachine guns sooner than we'd like.

Please, is this some sort of joke?

PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 PBSnipes
Member since 2007 • 14621 Posts
Not a bad idea if they pull it off, but that's a mighty big if.
Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts
sounds like resistance hehe.
CJL13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 CJL13
Member since 2005 • 19137 Posts
So it's a Resistance clone?
Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Ontain
So it's a Resistance clone?CJL13
I'm glad i wasn't the only one to think of that game when i read the title.
Avatar image for PelekotansDream
PelekotansDream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 PelekotansDream
You ain't a lone, I made a topic bout this in SW, only 11 replies but most agreed its like Resistence.
PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 PBSnipes
Member since 2007 • 14621 Posts
You ain't a lone, I made a topic bout this in SW, only 11 replies but most agreed its like Resistence.PelekotansDream
I don't think they mean you'll be fighting aliens, but rather that your enemies will focus more on stealth and ambushes (which lends some credence to earlier rumors that CoD 5 will take place in the Pacific), making them like your stereotypical movie alien.
grapefruit21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 grapefruit21
Member since 2007 • 3537 Posts
[QUOTE="PelekotansDream"]You ain't a lone, I made a topic bout this in SW, only 11 replies but most agreed its like Resistence.PBSnipes
I don't think they mean you'll be fighting aliens, but rather that your enemies will focus more on stealth and ambushes (which lends some credence to earlier rumors that CoD 5 will take place in the Pacific), making them like your stereotypical movie alien.

I agree with PBsnipes beacuse first it says seemingly alien. Second there are doing WW2 in the Pacific my guess is they mean guerrilla tactics and kamikaze attacks.
Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Verge_6
Member since 2007 • 20282 Posts

[QUOTE="PelekotansDream"]You ain't a lone, I made a topic bout this in SW, only 11 replies but most agreed its like Resistence.PBSnipes

That could actually be interesting. But again, the only good game I can think of that took place in the PTO was Pacific Heroes...and that was an arcade flight game.

blizzvalve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 blizzvalve
Member since 2007 • 14052 Posts
Since this seems to in the Pacific area of thw war, it looks like these "aliens" are a special Japanese fighting force that is stronger than anything America has ever fought against before.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#11 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts
Could be fun. Time for a CoD to lighten up a bit and do something a bit less "realistic".
Hoffgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 Hoffgod
Member since 2006 • 12229 Posts
... so, Resistance: Call of Man? I'll withold judgement until I find out more concrete details, but I'm not sure how I feel about this. CoD needed something different after the frustrating disappointment that was the CoD4 campaign, but aliens? Then again, if it's something like PB suggested, I'd buy that game in a second. Also, online MP for Wii version please?
Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts
*SNOOZE*

I wish Activision would let IW keep the franchise to themselves.
The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#14 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/06/09/call-of-duty-world-at-war-revealed-treyarch-to-develop/

According to the article, Treyarch aims to "explore the darkest corners of WWII," giving the military shooter more of a survival horror flavor by "tackling darker themes" and pitting players against a "new, seemingly alien fighting force." Activision has yet to officially announce Call of Duty: World at War, though it seems clear that we'll be trading in our guided anti-tank missiles for submachine guns sooner than we'd like.

Please, is this some sort of joke?

PelekotansDream

I don't think it means alien as in extraterrestrial but alien as in strange and unfamiliar. The Pacific is an area of WWII that few WWII games focus on, so this, to many gamers, will be a new experience. Quite frankly, considering how overdone WWII is in games today and how Nazis are even more common enemies in first person shooters than arguably any other, I'm glad to see it. It may be a fresh take on the genre.

blizzvalve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 blizzvalve

*SNOOZE*

I wish Activision would let IW keep the franchise to themselves.Teufelhuhn

Odd. I think Treyarch does a good job with the COD series

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="Teufelhuhn"]*SNOOZE*

I wish Activision would let IW keep the franchise to themselves.blizzvalve

CoD 3 was fun.

Mordred19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Mordred19
Member since 2007 • 8259 Posts
[QUOTE="blizzvalve"]

I wish Activision would let IW keep the franchise to themselves.Wasdie

CoD 3 was fun.

Not as fun as IW could have made it. ;)

IMO

Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Verge_6
[QUOTE="blizzvalve"]

CoD 3 was fun.

Agreed. And I personally LOVED Big Red One. In fact, I thought it was better than CoD2. Sure, Treyarch may not be as good as a dev as IW...but they aren't nearly as bad as people make them out to be in the forums.

Hoffgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Hoffgod
[QUOTE="blizzvalve"]

CoD 3 was fun.

Truth be told, I had more fun with the Wii version of CoD3 than the 360 version of CoD4.
goodlay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 goodlay
Member since 2005 • 5773 Posts
Lawl, Indiana Jones 4 inspiration.
chutup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#21 chutup
Member since 2005 • 7656 Posts
So, depending on what they mean by 'alien', it's either going to be a Resistance ripoff or a MoH: Rising Sun ripoff?
PelekotansDream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 PelekotansDream

[QUOTE="PBSnipes"][QUOTE="PelekotansDream"]You ain't a lone, I made a topic bout this in SW, only 11 replies but most agreed its like Resistence.grapefruit21

I agree with PBsnipes beacuse first it says seemingly alien. Second there are doing WW2 in the Pacific my guess is they mean guerrilla tactics and kamikaze attacks.

Yeah I know, hence the topic title:

Confirmed: Call Of Duty in WW2 with what seems to be an alien force

blizzvalve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 blizzvalve
[QUOTE="Wasdie"][QUOTE="blizzvalve"]

I wish Activision would let IW keep the franchise to themselves.Hoffgod

CoD 3 was fun.

Truth be told, I had more fun with the Wii version of CoD3 than the 360 version of CoD4.

Yeah. Also I feel the online multiplayer in COD3 was better than COD4's multiplayer

Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Verge_6
You know, for a good idea of what they mean by 'a seemingly alien force', watch Flags of Our Fathers. During the invasion of Iwo Jima, the Japanese used the extensive netword of underground tunnels to wage war against the American invaders. They had the ability to appear even thousands of yards behind the frontline, deep into American-held territory. And they used this ability. Some Americans record that they woke up one morning with a dagger stuck in the ground beside their head, with a message written in eather poor English or Japanese (sometimes both). There are also accounts of soldiers seeing fellow men in neighboring foxholes suddenly get 'swallowed up', and when they ran over to investigate, not a trace of them could be found. While it is now known that those soldiers had probably had the incredible misfortune of digging a foxhole smack dap on one of the many tunnel entrances the Japanese had scattered throughout the island, you can imagine what kind of effect these sort of things would have had on the American troops. The enemy, which mostly remained unseen, would have appeared to be surreal...almost not of this world.
Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Ontain
I suppose it could be japanese. I'm asian so I wouldn't have called them "a seemingly alien force" myself.
Mordred19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Mordred19

You know, for a good idea of what they mean by 'a seemingly alien force', watch Flags of Our Fathers. During the invasion of Iwo Jima, the Japanese used the extensive netword of underground tunnels to wage war against the American invaders. They had the ability to appear even thousands of yards behind the frontline, deep into American-held territory. And they used this ability. Some Americans record that they woke up one morning with a dagger stuck in the ground beside their head, with a message written in eather poor English or Japanese (sometimes both). There are also accounts of soldiers seeing fellow men in neighboring foxholes suddenly get 'swallowed up', and when they ran over to investigate, not a trace of them could be found. While it is now known that those soldiers had probably had the incredible misfortune of digging a foxhole smack dap on one of the many tunnel entrances the Japanese had scattered throughout the island, you can imagine what kind of effect these sort of things would have had on the American troops. The enemy, which mostly remained unseen, would have appeared to be surreal...almost not of this world. Verge_6

No way! That is damn scary!

CJL13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 CJL13
Member since 2005 • 19137 Posts

You know, for a good idea of what they mean by 'a seemingly alien force', watch Flags of Our Fathers. During the invasion of Iwo Jima, the Japanese used the extensive netword of underground tunnels to wage war against the American invaders. They had the ability to appear even thousands of yards behind the frontline, deep into American-held territory. And they used this ability. Some Americans record that they woke up one morning with a dagger stuck in the ground beside their head, with a message written in eather poor English or Japanese (sometimes both). There are also accounts of soldiers seeing fellow men in neighboring foxholes suddenly get 'swallowed up', and when they ran over to investigate, not a trace of them could be found. While it is now known that those soldiers had probably had the incredible misfortune of digging a foxhole smack dap on one of the many tunnel entrances the Japanese had scattered throughout the island, you can imagine what kind of effect these sort of things would have had on the American troops. The enemy, which mostly remained unseen, would have appeared to be surreal...almost not of this world. Verge_6

It's like The Godfather, WWII version!

Hoffgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Hoffgod
:o Now THAT could make for one hell of a game.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Wasdie  Moderator

Happened to me twice in Nam...

PelekotansDream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 PelekotansDream

That would be really nice if they manage to put that in the game and keep up that atmosphere, imagine walking with your squad, you are leader but when you look around you realise all of a sudden you are alone.

Mordred19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Mordred19

[QUOTE="Verge_6"]You know, for a good idea of what they mean by 'a seemingly alien force', watch Flags of Our Fathers. During the invasion of Iwo Jima, the Japanese used the extensive netword of underground tunnels to wage war against the American invaders. They had the ability to appear even thousands of yards behind the frontline, deep into American-held territory. And they used this ability. Some Americans record that they woke up one morning with a dagger stuck in the ground beside their head, with a message written in eather poor English or Japanese (sometimes both). There are also accounts of soldiers seeing fellow men in neighboring foxholes suddenly get 'swallowed up', and when they ran over to investigate, not a trace of them could be found. While it is now known that those soldiers had probably had the incredible misfortune of digging a foxhole smack dap on one of the many tunnel entrances the Japanese had scattered throughout the island, you can imagine what kind of effect these sort of things would have had on the American troops. The enemy, which mostly remained unseen, would have appeared to be surreal...almost not of this world. PelekotansDream

That would be really nice if they manage to put that in the game and keep up that atmosphere, imagine walking with your squad, you are leader but when you look around you realise all of a sudden you are alone.

Sounds almost too ambitious to hope for.

blizzvalve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 blizzvalve

[QUOTE="Verge_6"]You know, for a good idea of what they mean by 'a seemingly alien force', watch Flags of Our Fathers. During the invasion of Iwo Jima, the Japanese used the extensive netword of underground tunnels to wage war against the American invaders. They had the ability to appear even thousands of yards behind the frontline, deep into American-held territory. And they used this ability. Some Americans record that they woke up one morning with a dagger stuck in the ground beside their head, with a message written in eather poor English or Japanese (sometimes both). There are also accounts of soldiers seeing fellow men in neighboring foxholes suddenly get 'swallowed up', and when they ran over to investigate, not a trace of them could be found. While it is now known that those soldiers had probably had the incredible misfortune of digging a foxhole smack dap on one of the many tunnel entrances the Japanese had scattered throughout the island, you can imagine what kind of effect these sort of things would have had on the American troops. The enemy, which mostly remained unseen, would have appeared to be surreal...almost not of this world. Wasdie

Wait, you were in Nam?

Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Verge_6
[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="Verge_6"]You know, for a good idea of what they mean by 'a seemingly alien force', watch Flags of Our Fathers. During the invasion of Iwo Jima, the Japanese used the extensive netword of underground tunnels to wage war against the American invaders. They had the ability to appear even thousands of yards behind the frontline, deep into American-held territory. And they used this ability. Some Americans record that they woke up one morning with a dagger stuck in the ground beside their head, with a message written in eather poor English or Japanese (sometimes both). There are also accounts of soldiers seeing fellow men in neighboring foxholes suddenly get 'swallowed up', and when they ran over to investigate, not a trace of them could be found. While it is now known that those soldiers had probably had the incredible misfortune of digging a foxhole smack dap on one of the many tunnel entrances the Japanese had scattered throughout the island, you can imagine what kind of effect these sort of things would have had on the American troops. The enemy, which mostly remained unseen, would have appeared to be surreal...almost not of this world. blizzvalve

Wait, you were in Nam?

Oh yes. Me and Waz were on opposite sides, actually. He was an M-60 gunner, and I was an advisor for the Vietcong troops. First fought each other at Do Long bridge. He still bears the wound on his left leg.

blizzvalve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 blizzvalve
[QUOTE="blizzvalve"][QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="Verge_6"]You know, for a good idea of what they mean by 'a seemingly alien force', watch Flags of Our Fathers. During the invasion of Iwo Jima, the Japanese used the extensive netword of underground tunnels to wage war against the American invaders. They had the ability to appear even thousands of yards behind the frontline, deep into American-held territory. And they used this ability. Some Americans record that they woke up one morning with a dagger stuck in the ground beside their head, with a message written in eather poor English or Japanese (sometimes both). There are also accounts of soldiers seeing fellow men in neighboring foxholes suddenly get 'swallowed up', and when they ran over to investigate, not a trace of them could be found. While it is now known that those soldiers had probably had the incredible misfortune of digging a foxhole smack dap on one of the many tunnel entrances the Japanese had scattered throughout the island, you can imagine what kind of effect these sort of things would have had on the American troops. The enemy, which mostly remained unseen, would have appeared to be surreal...almost not of this world. Verge_6

Wait, you were in Nam?

Oh yes. Me and Waz were on opposite sides, actually. He was an M-60 gunner, and I was an advisor for the Vietcong troops. First fought each other at Do Long bridge. He still bears the wound on his left leg.

How old are you?

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Wasdie  Moderator
[QUOTE="blizzvalve"][QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="Verge_6"]You know, for a good idea of what they mean by 'a seemingly alien force', watch Flags of Our Fathers. During the invasion of Iwo Jima, the Japanese used the extensive netword of underground tunnels to wage war against the American invaders. They had the ability to appear even thousands of yards behind the frontline, deep into American-held territory. And they used this ability. Some Americans record that they woke up one morning with a dagger stuck in the ground beside their head, with a message written in eather poor English or Japanese (sometimes both). There are also accounts of soldiers seeing fellow men in neighboring foxholes suddenly get 'swallowed up', and when they ran over to investigate, not a trace of them could be found. While it is now known that those soldiers had probably had the incredible misfortune of digging a foxhole smack dap on one of the many tunnel entrances the Japanese had scattered throughout the island, you can imagine what kind of effect these sort of things would have had on the American troops. The enemy, which mostly remained unseen, would have appeared to be surreal...almost not of this world. Verge_6

Wait, you were in Nam?

Your still in that wheelchair right? Mah bad, didn't mean to hit you there. Meant to hit you up further where it would have killed you...

Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Verge_6

blizzvalve

How old are you?

60 or so. :P

Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Verge_6

Your still in that wheelchair right? Mah bad, didn't mean to hit you there. Meant to hit you up further where it would have killed you...

Wasdie

No, I was back on my feet within the week. And it was a testament to your inability to hit ANYTHING, even when you had an LMG in your hands. I, and my Vietcong commrades, laughed at your horrendous display of marksmanship.

funnymario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 funnymario
Member since 2005 • 9122 Posts
So I see I'm not the only one who thought of Resistance.
blizzvalve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 blizzvalve
Looks like we have a choice this fall, Resistance 2 or this?
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Wasdie  Moderator
[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Verge_6

No, I was back on my feet within the week. And it was a testament to your inability to hit ANYTHING, even when you had an LMG in your hands. I, and my Vietcong commrades, laughed at your horrendous display of marksmanship.

Why do you think they gave me an LMG? At least I stand a chance when im putting 10,000 rounds down range...

If they gave me a rifle I would be cannon-fodder.

lafigueroa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#41 lafigueroa
Member since 2004 • 6648 Posts
Lol, you two warhounds still have fight in you. I remember those days well....we reporters weren't liked much, but we did our damn job.
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#42 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts
Confirmed: SpruceCaboose will not be buying the next CoD game.
chutup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#43 chutup
Member since 2005 • 7656 Posts
Some of those tunnels/foxhole bits in Flags of our Fathers were pretty freaky. If it was done smartly it could make a great game, but they would have to really try or it would turn into a big gimmick like MoH Airborne.