What do you like better: GTA IV or GTA V?

#1 Edited by RageQuitter69 (1297 posts) -

Sounds like a stupid question but I have actually heard people say that they like GTA IV better, which one do you like better and why?

For me it has to be GTA IV for a huge number of reasons including:

• More vehicles and a better variety.
  • More weapons and a better variety.
  • Cars are more fun to drive.
  • Better mission variety.
  • Better variety in locations.
  • Overall, just a lot more to do in the open world.
  • No annoying friends ringing you up every minute to go bowling!
#2 Edited by BrantleySalter (2878 posts) -

I honestly haven't made up my mind yet. All the things you said above are true, but I still love GTA IV. One thing I definitely prefer in IV rather than V are the characters/story, especially the antagonists. In GTA IV, you HATED Dimitri. You got a dark sense of satisfaction from killing Ray Boccino. You were itching to catch up with Bulgarin and put one in his head. In GTA V the antagonists are just some douchebags who you don't really care about one way or the other. While the cars are easier and more fun to drive, they also feel slightly too cartoony, like they don't have enough weight to them. GTA IV's cars may be more sluggish, but they also feel more like actual cars. And finally I feel Liberty City has a ton more atmosphere and identity than Los Santos. The countryside is great but not as cool as the one back in San Andreas.

It's hard for me to say right now. GTA V is definitely the bigger and more ambitious of the two, but I recently started playing GTA IV again, and I'm enjoying it as much as I ever did.

#3 Posted by TAMKFan (32730 posts) -

Easily GTA V. Not that I didn't like GTA IV, but I found this game to be an improvement in a lot of ways.

#4 Posted by AggrandizedUser (25 posts) -

GTA IV's story was 100x better. GTA V has great heist missions but apart from those all the big scenes were a lot of explosions but very little tension or build up. Thinking of the house Trevor lights on fire or the two trains colliding, while they looked impressive they were very forgettable moments. what GTA IV lacked in variety it more than made up for in writing quality. Niko is by far the best character Rockstar has ever made. All of GTA V's characters are a joke.

I did like the car handling in IV, but I actually don't think GTA V differs from it too much. The car damage is improved in some aspect and oddly degraded in others. Everyone knows the issue of how you can slam into a wall at full speed and your car only gets a few scratches. I think the built it so your vehicles have to get more damaged over repeat collisions instead of getting massively deformed from a single impact. It kinda works and it kinda doesn't.

Overall GTA V is probably the better game but GTA IV has more soul in it. GTA V feels like it was built from a checklist.

#5 Posted by AggrandizedUser (25 posts) -

GTA IV's story was 100x better. GTA V has great heist missions but apart from those all the big scenes were a lot of explosions but very little tension or build up. Thinking of the house Trevor lights on fire or the two trains colliding, while they looked impressive they were very forgettable moments. what GTA IV lacked in variety it more than made up for in writing quality. Niko is by far the best character Rockstar has ever made. All of GTA V's characters are a joke.

I did like the car handling in IV, but I actually don't think GTA V differs from it too much. The car damage is improved in some aspect and oddly degraded in others. Everyone knows the issue of how you can slam into a wall at full speed and your car only gets a few scratches. I think the built it so your vehicles have to get more damaged over repeat collisions instead of getting massively deformed from a single impact. It kinda works and it kinda doesn't.

Overall GTA V is probably the better game but GTA IV has more soul in it. GTA V feels like it was built from a checklist.

#6 Edited by BrantleySalter (2878 posts) -

@AggrandiedUser: This. GTA V is the more impressive game, but GTA IV...idk. It's rare that a game keeps me playing regularly for five years.

#7 Posted by D3dr0_0 (3495 posts) -

I disliked GTA IV since it came out and I enjoyed the missions in V a lot more than anything I've done in IV.

#8 Posted by tomkat69pc (977 posts) -

gta IV should be wiped off the gta map at all ..

#10 Edited by pimpofdoom (999 posts) -

This question should be asked a few months later for a less biased response. I remember when GTA 4 came out some people made it out to be the best GTA game ever made but changed their minds later.

#11 Posted by drekula2 (1906 posts) -

GTA IV: Stronger satire and emotional connection to the story, more consistent in its themes and storytelling

GTA V: Better driving and shooting ; open world has much more to do ; varied mission structure with improved checkpointing ; better online

#12 Edited by TheBigTicket21 (30875 posts) -

Neither are as good as San Andreas in terms of creativity and storytelling, so it doesn't really matter. GTA IV's story is way better, but the freedom in GTA V is better.

#13 Posted by jekyll (9140 posts) -

I like the single player of V way better, but the online in IV was superior. Especially when it comes to deathmatches. The maps are too confining and claustrophobic. I get stuck in a tiny map like Concrete or Morgue and think wistfully back to playing Bohan and having a large chunk of the island and being able to not just gun people down, but grab a car and run over people. Cars are still here, but most maps are so small there's no room to manuever in the area where players spawn. I see then challenge to run someone over and wonder how you could ever get it.

The one plus is that some deathmatches have really great sniping spots. The Derelict Hotel has a great black billboard far to the west that can be climbed for a great vantage.

#14 Posted by Parado_xx (83 posts) -

I definitely have to go for GTA V. To be honest, I never found GTA IV to be all that interesting, neither the world or story. I really liked the characters, but the only thing I found hilarious was driving around using the cinematic perspective thingy. So yeah, all in all I find GTA V a lot more interesting. The world is amazing and immersive, I think the story is a lot more interesting and the characters are awesome.

I can't really say anything about multiplayer considering I don't play online, but I know there were a lot of problems with that for V. I haven't heard anything like that when it comes to IV, although I wasn't on any gaming sites at the time of release.

#15 Posted by allboutkiln (508 posts) -

I like this game better cos i didnt like GTA 4, but i think GTA San Andreas is better than both these games.

#16 Posted by BluePetaah (9 posts) -

for me GTA 5 knocks GTA 4 out of the park. didn't really like GTA 4 that much and im not really sure why so thats probably the reason why GTA 5 is so much fun for me atm. vice city will always be my favourite though <3

#17 Edited by Totalpckge (42 posts) -

GTA IV blows GTA V out the box. Yo if GTA IV had the graphics and the little new innovations that V has GTA IV would be the greatest game of all time. From the time GTA IV came out until V came out I was playing the game over and over. Imagine if Luis and Niko could have met and been friends after the heist at the museum. F the Lost I hated the whole motorcycle gang thing. But GTA IV overall to me game wise was a superior game by far. San Andreas was the best game in the series by far than IV. What do you guys think?

#18 Posted by quatoe (5665 posts) -

I prefer GTA V. I could not get into GTA IV, no matter how much I played. Nothing about it interested me and I gave it plenty of chances, about 35 hours of chances.

#19 Posted by SandwichRebel (8 posts) -

GTA IV was more realistic for me but GTA V has diversity which is very important for me. Anyway, GTA IV contain more detail like flying papers, fog and (at my opinion) better radio stations. GTA V has better lights, more cars, more stuffs to do in multiplayer, etc.. So, I can't choose because I would play on GTA V's map with all the little details which make GTA IV environment more imersive.

#20 Posted by ConorHat (138 posts) -

My favorite GTA is San Andreas, with GTA V following closely behind.

#21 Edited by VirtualAntics (553 posts) -

GTA V.

I've had a stupid amount of fun with the snapmatic camera phone. (Whether it's for professional looking shots or gaming moments that are completely messed up and funny. :D)

#22 Posted by waterproof9 (682 posts) -

I've had GTA V since release and have had time to really be objective. I was a huge GTA IV fan before V and I still am. I like IV better than V although V is an amazing game. V did not hook me like IV did. IV has better characters and a better story. I feel like V was so shallow, no depth anywhere. Sure there's a lot of stuff to do, but the story is thin, the characters are so blah. Almost every character in IV is unforgetable. They had a life and a story.

Of course V looks a whole lot better than IV but Los Santos is a big open flat space. The LST has no purpose. The subway in IV made sense.

Maybe a second play through will change my mind a little but I doubt it. GTA IV is still the best IMO.

#24 Posted by Dredcrumb9 (82 posts) -

@VirtualAntics: the 'selfie' feature in gta 5 was useless. GTA 5 could of been much better if it focused more on story and gameplay, and less on BS like cell phones. You are not a GTA fan, go away. I hope R* stops making idiotic games like GTA 5, for causal gamer/hashtag/cell phone zombies, and they make the next GTA for the fans

#25 Posted by sukraj (22133 posts) -

I didn't like GTA IV but I do like GTA V its so much better than IV.

#26 Edited by Dredcrumb9 (82 posts) -

GTA 4 and it's expansions, though only because the protagonists and the story/stories were all better than V. I also like IV for the fact that the entire game world doesn't flash with a little x every time you kill someone(which I really hated in GTAV, as it made gameplay feel weak). GTA5 has all the ingredients to beat GTA4(better map, graphics, more fluid controls), but V feels like it wasn't finished. The story of V was too short, and simple options, like to turn off cinematic score, flashing kill indicators and Xhit markers, feel missing from V.

#27 Edited by ToxicVideoGamer (10 posts) -

Hello!

I Think GTA IV Is Much Better Than GTA V Because There Is Cool Cars To Drive And It's Sometimes Fun. There Are Better Missions Because GTA V Missions Doesn't Have Enough Actions And It's Sometimes Really Boring. There Are LOt's More, But This Is What I Think. I'm Not Sure What The Other People Think, But This Is My Opinion.

Thank You!

#28 Posted by hellangel_boy (179 posts) -

I feel that GTAV is more fun, but the story, radio stations were definitely better in GTAIV, I also liked the shooting in GTA IV more. I really like both of them though, because they are different, and that what always made every GTA especial.

#29 Posted by OrdannonsX (39 posts) -

I actually think I like GTA IV better. GTA V was amazing, but GTA IV had Niko. Niko is probably my favourite video game character of all time, even though the cutscene 'him' and the in-game 'him' (where you get to control him) makes him a little inconsistent...

#30 Edited by HipHopBeats (2873 posts) -

I have to say GTA V. I really tried to get immersed into GTA IV but the 'realism' driving mechanics and the over the top wacky characters just didn't cut it for me. Niko was the only likable character to me. Everyone else came off as whiny, bratty or too dependent.

I will say GTA IV had a more believable, gritty world than GTA V does. I remember little details like turning on the tv and seeing a Katt Williams sketch and actually watching the whole thing. It's things like that which make a gaming world stand out.

I hope Rockstar will eventually get Liberty City right at least once. I was really excited when Rockstar was going back to LIberty City but it seems all the better mechanics are always in Los Santos games. My top two favorite GTA games are still San Andreas and Vice City.