The one thing I don't like about GTAV...

edwardecl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 edwardecl
Member since 2005 • 2240 Posts

The car handling was much better in GTAIV. Cars felt they had some weight to them, they stopped slower and skidded and the colisions were more realistic. In GTAV it feels more fake, cars turn way too easily no skidding and some cars are way too twitchy and colisions and damage don't seem right for the impact takes may more hits to damage cars.

Everything else in the game is great though. The graphics are awesome for a PS3 game, no blur and antialiased and not much noticble pop ins. Body panels can also come off the cars is some situations so in a way the car damange is improved but less realistic. If you could have the GTAIV car handling and increased damage for all impacts this would be a much better game though, don't know why they changed it so much.

supes1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 supes1984
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

You make it sound like you already got yourself a copy, how did you manage to get a copy so early?

To be honest many people moaned about how the car handling on GTA IV wasn't realistic enough, perhaps they made it more realistic for GTA V and only seems worse because your use to it in GTA IV.

billlabowski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 billlabowski
Member since 2011 • 91 Posts
I got a copy on Craigslist for $70, locally. I'm with op, I absolutely HATE the car handling. Playing on PS3 with Xbox controller...if that makes any difference. GTA IV's car handling was so much better. Guaranteed the first mod that arrives for the PC version will be the driving physics getting an upgrade. I don't know what they were thinking. Dumbing down for idiots I suppose.
edwardecl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 edwardecl

Yep, the worst car in GTAV seems to handle better than the best car in GTAIV (although I havn't driven every single car yet), and by that I mean the ability to turn at speed without skidding not realism.

And the car damage is not satisfying, in GTAIV I had fun smashing into cars just to observe the damage afterwards, in this game you can crash into a car at about 50mph and all they get is a slightly damaged bumper and a few scratches where as in GTAIV it would have been major deofrmation and you coming through the windscreen (although this can still happen but you need to be going much faster).

I know why they did it, to make custom cars last longer and whatnot, but it's not as fun Rocfkstar really needed to make a difficulty setting for the driving instead to please the people who can't drive.

Avatar image for TAGGER_SK8ER101
TAGGER_SK8ER101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TAGGER_SK8ER101
Member since 2007 • 1866 Posts
Crap, I was afraid they would do this! I actually liked the driving in IV once I got the hang of turning. Stupid people complain about how the cars in IV are too hard to control, now R* adds Saints Row 3-like driving. -_-!
edwardecl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 edwardecl

Not quite as bad as Saints Row, but not far off. Although you do have a "driving skill", unsure how that affects the handling in the long run. If it makes the cars turn even better then it will only get worse as you progress :/.

billlabowski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 billlabowski

Not quite as bad as Saints Row, but not far off. Although you do have a "driving skill", unsure how that affects the handling in the long run. If it makes the cars turn even better then it will only get worse as you progress :/.

edwardecl
I've maxed out Franklin's driving abilities, and it makes a difference, but not in a good way. It's literally like someone turned on the "perfect handling" cheat from 3, vice city, and san andreas. It's so bad. I'm sticking with motorcycles, heli's and boats. I'm so disappointed.
linkdarkside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 linkdarkside
Member since 2003 • 6279 Posts

i hated GTAIV driving mechanics whit a passion so i am happy.

billlabowski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 billlabowski

i hated GTAIV driving mechanics with a passion so i am happy.

linkdarkside
FTFY Yeah a lot of people hated GTA IV, but that's not saying that what R* did was any better. It's not like they did a 180 and overhauled it for the better. A few friends of mine that got the game, one of which who DESPISED GTA IV's driving menchanics says he prefers IV's over V's. It needs an overhaul. Making the vehicles more responsive is one thing, making them RC cars is totally unacceptable, which is why I'll mod it when it's released on PC. Anyways, only a few more days for release so you'll understand what I mean. Hope you like it though.
Avatar image for TAGGER_SK8ER101
TAGGER_SK8ER101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TAGGER_SK8ER101
Member since 2007 • 1866 Posts
IV's driving was cool, you had to learn how to master control. From all the videos I've seen, V's driving is completely dettached from the rest of the game world. I also saw a video of a guy speeding straight into a wall, the impact was very disappointing ~_~ I understand that it may be a way of protecting custom cars, BUT THAT'S WHAT INSURANCE AND PAY N SPRAY ARE FOR!
BlackN9ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BlackN9ne
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Would any of you say that the driving is how it was in San Andreas? Is it better or worse? That seemed to be the most enjoyable for me, personally. (I had no problem with GTA 4's driving either)
billlabowski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 billlabowski
Would any of you say that the driving is how it was in San Andreas? Is it better or worse? That seemed to be the most enjoyable for me, personally. (I had no problem with GTA 4's driving either)BlackN9ne
Ever play Re-Volt on N64? Yeah...
edwardecl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 edwardecl

Does the slidey cars cheat make the cars more like GTAIV or is it just over the top?

Have to try it myself...

Slidey Cars: Triange R1 R1 Left R1 L1 R2 L1

I hope it fixes it :/.

billlabowski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 billlabowski

I haven't found any cheats for the game online. Probably going to have to wait til Tuesday or Wednesday.

billlabowski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 billlabowski

I found the cheats, slidey cars is more like driving on ice without ice tires. So no go :(

DakimDragco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DakimDragco
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

Im not sure where i stand on the driving. I am not a fan of GTA San Andreas style driving, and while i enjoy GTA IV's version, i do sometimes feel like im driving on ice when my car just WONT stop nomather how hard i brake. Also the more high end sports bikes realy bugged me in GTA IV with them fliping and spinning through the sky at each bump, the dirtbike was my favorite in terms of handeling.

edwardecl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 edwardecl

Slidey cars is more GTAIV like in my opinion, some cars slide worse then others when enabled. Some of the sports car handle no different with the cheat on or off so I suppose it's a bit better.

Now if there was a way of enabling it perminently... everytime you die you have to renenter it :( and trophys are disabled no that I care that much. At least this suggest the game might be modable or at least tweak how much effect this cheat has.

supes1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 supes1984
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

The car handling was much better in GTAIV. Cars felt they had some weight to them, they stopped slower and skidded and the colisions were more realistic. In GTAV it feels more fake, cars turn way too easily no skidding and some cars are way too twitchy and colisions and damage don't seem right for the impact takes may more hits to damage cars.

Everything else in the game is great though. The graphics are awesome for a PS3 game, no blur and antialiased and not much noticble pop ins. Body panels can also come off the cars is some situations so in a way the car damange is improved but less realistic. If you could have the GTAIV car handling and increased damage for all impacts this would be a much better game though, don't know why they changed it so much.

edwardecl

Having watched some driving gameplay on youtube, I see what you mean about the collison damage don't seem right for the impact. However could Rockstar simply have given different vehicles different impact collisons. So for example one car will damage less than another due to it's frame work, like in the real world. 

It does worry me a little bit, but at the same time I never liked the car handling of GTA IV, at times it did feel like you was driving on ice. Hopefully this won't be a big issue for me, when I get the game. Rockstar might improve handling with a patch in the near future if people have a lot of complaints.

heytheredarlin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 heytheredarlin
Member since 2010 • 869 Posts

I got a copy on Craigslist for $70, locally. I'm with op, I absolutely HATE the car handling. Playing on PS3 with Xbox controller...if that makes any difference. GTA IV's car handling was so much better. Guaranteed the first mod that arrives for the PC version will be the driving physics getting an upgrade. I don't know what they were thinking. Dumbing down for idiots I suppose.billlabowski

You say that as if the driving in IV was complicated. :lol:

billlabowski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 billlabowski

[QUOTE="billlabowski"]I got a copy on Craigslist for $70, locally. I'm with op, I absolutely HATE the car handling. Playing on PS3 with Xbox controller...if that makes any difference. GTA IV's car handling was so much better. Guaranteed the first mod that arrives for the PC version will be the driving physics getting an upgrade. I don't know what they were thinking. Dumbing down for idiots I suppose.heytheredarlin

No, you had to be aware of where you were going and how the car handles to pull off high speed maneuvers though...which is not the case in GTA V.
heytheredarlin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 heytheredarlin

[QUOTE="heytheredarlin"]

[QUOTE="billlabowski"]I got a copy on Craigslist for $70, locally. I'm with op, I absolutely HATE the car handling. Playing on PS3 with Xbox controller...if that makes any difference. GTA IV's car handling was so much better. Guaranteed the first mod that arrives for the PC version will be the driving physics getting an upgrade. I don't know what they were thinking. Dumbing down for idiots I suppose.billlabowski

No, you had to be aware of where you were going and how the car handles to pull off high speed maneuvers though...which is not the case in GTA V.

Pulling off "high speed maneuvers" is stupidly easy in both games not just V. GTA isn't a driving simulator.

billlabowski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 billlabowski

[QUOTE="billlabowski"][QUOTE="heytheredarlin"]

[QUOTE="billlabowski"]I got a copy on Craigslist for $70, locally. I'm with op, I absolutely HATE the car handling. Playing on PS3 with Xbox controller...if that makes any difference. GTA IV's car handling was so much better. Guaranteed the first mod that arrives for the PC version will be the driving physics getting an upgrade. I don't know what they were thinking. Dumbing down for idiots I suppose.heytheredarlin

Pulling off "high speed maneuvers" is stupidly easy in both games not just V. GTA isn't a driving simulator.

No, it's not a simulator, it's just called Grand Theft AUTO and I would expect the driving to be less mindless. I see you following my posts, I understand you don't agree with anything I say so why don't you go elsewhere?
heytheredarlin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 heytheredarlin

[QUOTE="heytheredarlin"]

[QUOTE="billlabowski"][QUOTE="heytheredarlin"]

[QUOTE="billlabowski"]I got a copy on Craigslist for $70, locally. I'm with op, I absolutely HATE the car handling. Playing on PS3 with Xbox controller...if that makes any difference. GTA IV's car handling was so much better. Guaranteed the first mod that arrives for the PC version will be the driving physics getting an upgrade. I don't know what they were thinking. Dumbing down for idiots I suppose.billlabowski

No, it's not a simulator, it's just called Grand Theft AUTO and I would expect the driving to be less mindless. I see you following my posts, I understand you don't agree with anything I say so why don't you go elsewhere?

I'm not following your posts don't flatter yourself.

davidsworld3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#25 davidsworld3
Member since 2010 • 3523 Posts

SOunds like this game is indeed over hyped.  Oh well I'll still get it, but I dont expect it to last for a long time with me or anything just wanna miss around.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#26 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

Am i the only one what didnt like the controll of the walking in GTA4?.

edwardecl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 edwardecl

It's a great game, the other aspects make the game worth playing. The cheat does make some of the cars handle a bit better (not like they are stuck to the road) other cars don't seem to have much of an effect, this is probably how the game was originally intended.

I like to be able to do wheelspins up the road and do donuts (if the car is powerrful enough) and slide the cars into corners when I'm going too fast, makes for nasty crashes (which I like). And don't start me on the brakes, you can literally stop from top speed in 1 - 2 seconds.

But as it is normally the cars will go wherever you point it, because there is a almost no grip loss , some of the cars instead of sliding a bit go twitchy, a bit like in Just Cause 2 when you drive too fast in a sports car you can't make the damn thing go in a straight line because the analog sticks are not accurate enough to do it. (but not quite as bad).

alechair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28 alechair
Member since 2003 • 44 Posts
Right... Cars behave weird, like floating on the pavement. There's something wrong with the camera too. Like, if you turn using the handbrake, it doesn't stay fixed, it follows the trunk of your car. Damage system is also wrong, you can die flying over the windshield on a highspeed crash, and your car barely scratched o bumped. Soundtrack is uncool. GTA used to have such amazing songs... Well, not this time. They did fixed the shadows, a huge issue on gta 4. Graphics look sharp, colorful, models have much more detail, and weather system work just as good as in RDR, or even better. Leaving the hype aside, im pretty sure we have a GOTY here.
Avatar image for deactivated-5a09ca8df2816
deactivated-5a09ca8df2816

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5a09ca8df2816
Member since 2010 • 112 Posts

For me the driving physics in GTA is one of the most important things in the game. I look at the gameplay videos now and the cards drive like RC Titanium Blocks with perfect grip. It takes all the fun away from messing around with vechicles. This new physics change is a major disappointment. I couldn't play Saints Row III because of the physics. Now that GTA V has it, it disgusts me. I really hope they will release a patch for this.

DakimDragco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 DakimDragco
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

While i am not a gta IV driving style fan, i woudnt be opposed to choice of driving style. Maybe R* should make some profiles like say; 3 different presets to driving styles such as a Arcadestyle and a Simulator Style for the more realitic desired driving and so on. 

I would personaly not mind if they patched it to give players who liked GTA IV's driving a option to change the driving style to that, while retaining the option to keep the current if you liked it.

realryupt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 realryupt
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

How can you play on the PS3  with an xbox 360 controller? Please tell me..

NicAgent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#32 NicAgent
Member since 2005 • 4693 Posts
Now that the game's out, I can say that while the car handling is not quite as realistic as in GTA IV, it is still quite immersive and still requires a good amount of skill.
Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#33 Kevlar101
Member since 2011 • 6316 Posts
The only fun I ever had with GTA IV was the driving, which was awesome. I loved getting into chases and slamming into cop cars mid-chase and watching them freak out as I destroyed their cars......... stuff like that. What I have heard about this GTA V driving mechanic has honestly convinced me not to buy it. A shame :(
jagcivtec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#34  Edited By jagcivtec
Member since 2008 • 86 Posts

Absolutely dumbed down driving for wimps that can't drive if there's some thinking involved.

davidsworld3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#35 davidsworld3
Member since 2010 • 3523 Posts

Yeah the driving isn't anything special oh well. The game kinda turns into mush after you beat it...like there is no other story really.

TAMKFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 172

#36  Edited By TAMKFan
Member since 2004 • 33350 Posts

I don't know, I actually found the driving in this game to be better than in GTA IV. In GTA IV, vehicles seem to flip over a bit too easily.