Why would they call the MLB and NBA champion teams "World Champions"??

This topic is locked from further discussion.

minos30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 minos30
Member since 2004 • 463 Posts
I find it kind of pathetic that they call themselves the world champions, it may be the "best" league in the world but I doubt it. In basketball The US got its butt kicked by the Argentinians and in the Baseball world cup you got your butts kicked by Mexico and henceforth didn't get to the finals. "World Champions" no, I don't think so.
badaboom187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 badaboom187
Member since 2005 • 6917 Posts
welll the US doens't really try when they go play those world matches or w/e u call them i forgot. 
Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts
They don't always put together the best players for their international teams. The last time they did was the original NBA dream team.

But back to "world champions" it is just a figure of speech and they probably started saying that a long time ago. They basically invented those sports and they didn't become big sports internationally for a long time.

minos30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 minos30
They aren't big sports internationally. The US Baseball World cup team wasn't a "dream team"? They didn't try? Its americas past time. This is not an aggression topic just curious. Its not a figure of speech because they don't use it for the MLS, or NHL.
bozit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 bozit
Member since 2005 • 452 Posts

[QUOTE="minos30"]I find it kind of pathetic that they call themselves the world champions, it may be the "best" league in the world but I doubt it. In basketball The US got its butt kicked by the Argentinians and in the Baseball world cup you got your butts kicked by Mexico and henceforth didn't get to the finals. "World Champions" no, I don't think so. roulettethedog

American baseball does not send even close to their best to these silly World Cups, and as far as basketball, the international game is a joke with the 3pt line almost as close as the free throw line and again America's best players have better things to do then risk there lively-hood playing for a crappy medal.

That's the main difference between USA teams and the rest of the world. Argentinians (for instance) are primarily playing for their country not for a medal.

TONYSIX7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TONYSIX7
Member since 2004 • 919 Posts

boo hoo we didnt send our best players.. we didnt even try.. world championship is a joke.. yeah right..

self proclaimed world champions FTW !! hey guess what im the world champion of Halo 2.. Xbox Live is for n00bs so i dont really play much there..  but i could own everyone in the world easily if i tried.. right ? right??? i didnt think so..

cobb45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 cobb45
Member since 2004 • 1179 Posts

The term "world champions" dates back to the 1905 world series, back then it was called the world championship. When new york won they had won the world championship thus the "world champions".

minos30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 minos30
Thank you very much cobb45 at last, an intelligent answer.
murlow12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 murlow12
Member since 2005 • 11109 Posts
Because the USA rules the world, so anything that comes out of this country is the best. That's the answer you were looking for, right?
murlow12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 murlow12
Member since 2005 • 11109 Posts
[QUOTE="minos30"]They aren't big sports internationally. The US Baseball World cup team wasn't a "dream team"? They didn't try? Its americas past time. This is not an aggression topic just curious. Its not a figure of speech because they don't use it for the MLS, or NHL.

What you're confused about is that the US team in the World Baseball Classic didn't include any immigrants. Most of our best players are from other countries, so the USA team wasn't as good as, say, the World Series winner. I think you're confused about the rosters in the WBC.
C_65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 C_65
Member since 2007 • 118 Posts
There is no team that could take the best that the MLB, or the NBA has to offer. No one could stop the Yankees, or the Mets (I know they didn't win I'm not an idiot it's that their the best from both leagues). Could you imagine an international team taking out the old Miami heat, the Suns, or the Mavs. They are the world champions beucase the rest of the world cannot compete.
werdnas82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 werdnas82
Member since 2005 • 351 Posts
Beating the Americans in a tournament is one thing. BEating them in a full-season league is another. Take Europe's best basketball team or Japan's best baseball team and put them in the NBA and MLB for the full season and I guarantee they don't win the title.
werdnas82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 werdnas82
Member since 2005 • 351 Posts
Also, the MLB is not an all-American league. It's players are the best from around the world. Again put the best team from Japan in the AL East and see how good they do.
Lostboy1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 Lostboy1224
Member since 2007 • 3425 Posts

I think this topic is a mixed bag in regards to the Basketball side of it.  The world championships have different court measurements (three point line and so on), they have less minutes on the clock, and different rules.  I don't think it would be easy at all to take on these other countries of the world who have played this way from the start of their bball careers.  They are tight nit teams that usually grow up playing on the same team the entire time.  Could you imagine if D-Wade, Melo, and Bron played on the same team for the majority of their lives? 

And the second point I think is relevant is that if you make a team from the best players in the NBA you would have about half american and the other half would be foriegners.  Steve Nash, Dirk, Yao, Ginobili, Pau G, AK-47, Diaw, and Tony Parker could be on that roster easily.  These guys are perfect for the World's style of play.  Three point shooting, pick n' Rolling, driving to the hoop, big men shooting long range, and a little bit of D on the top.

But America can hold their own as well!!!

If only Amare was at 100% he would have picked and rolled all night long, and blocked their asses at the rim!

But those are just my opinions.

nygiants1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#16 nygiants1080
Member since 2004 • 9413 Posts
The real question is, Who Cares?
poopinloop32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 poopinloop32
Member since 2006 • 4949 Posts
what ever country diagrees will be nuked
Not_Suspended

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Not_Suspended
Member since 2006 • 216 Posts
Because the best athletes in the world play in our leagues.
tenorio_rotc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 tenorio_rotc
Member since 2003 • 3447 Posts
[QUOTE="minos30"]I find it kind of pathetic that they call themselves the world champions, it may be the "best" league in the world but I doubt it. In basketball The US got its butt kicked by the Argentinians and in the Baseball world cup you got your butts kicked by Mexico and henceforth didn't get to the finals. "World Champions" no, I don't think so.

See the thing is that the league has the best players in the world.  And therefore would have the winners of the finals called world champions.  MLB has lots of international players and the NBA does as well.  Only those born or living in the US permanently play on the US team, so that is just to find out which country has the best team, but the best team possible in the world is the in the league.  Football, I doubt anyone can play football that well else where.  You dont see that with the MLS because there are other leagues out there that attract players from all over the world and so you need the world cup to really settle a champioship team but if there was one dominant league, you could create a very special team.
GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

#20 GamerForca
Member since 2005 • 7203 Posts
[QUOTE="roulettethedog"]

[QUOTE="minos30"]I find it kind of pathetic that they call themselves the world champions, it may be the "best" league in the world but I doubt it. In basketball The US got its butt kicked by the Argentinians and in the Baseball world cup you got your butts kicked by Mexico and henceforth didn't get to the finals. "World Champions" no, I don't think so. bozit

American baseball does not send even close to their best to these silly World Cups, and as far as basketball, the international game is a joke with the 3pt line almost as close as the free throw line and again America's best players have better things to do then risk there lively-hood playing for a crappy medal.

That's the main difference between USA teams and the rest of the world. Argentinians (for instance) are primarily playing for their country not for a medal.

That's right.  The American basketball "team" is all about individuals.  Most countries play for pride while the American teams don't even care.  In baseball, the Americans don't even send their best players.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#21 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts
[QUOTE="bozit"][QUOTE="roulettethedog"]

[QUOTE="minos30"]I find it kind of pathetic that they call themselves the world champions, it may be the "best" league in the world but I doubt it. In basketball The US got its butt kicked by the Argentinians and in the Baseball world cup you got your butts kicked by Mexico and henceforth didn't get to the finals. "World Champions" no, I don't think so. GamerForca

That's right. The American basketball "team" is all about individuals. Most countries play for pride while the American teams don't even care. In baseball, the Americans don't even send their best players.

Well they don't send their best players because we would have to stop the regular MLB season.
soulfinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 soulfinger
Member since 2003 • 690 Posts
Talk about how to avoid answer the question and come up with pointless justifications. Why do they call sports/leagues that have no world team participation World Championships? There's no justification for it. Frankly as much as I love the NBA winners from their and MLB should not be called World Champions unless the leagues are made up of international teams. It doesn't matter how good the American players/teams are or aren't. The European Champions League football tournament is one of the biggest sports tournaments with more people watching the final than the Superbowl, NBA finals or World Series final. Its made up of the best football (Soccer) teams in the world with the best players but it's not called the world championships as it does not include teams from around the world and the winning team is recognised as the European champions not world champions. NBA and MLB Champions should be know as that and that alone not world champions or alternatively North American Champions.
GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

#23 GamerForca
Member since 2005 • 7203 Posts
[QUOTE="GamerForca"][QUOTE="bozit"][QUOTE="roulettethedog"]

[QUOTE="minos30"]I find it kind of pathetic that they call themselves the world champions, it may be the "best" league in the world but I doubt it. In basketball The US got its butt kicked by the Argentinians and in the Baseball world cup you got your butts kicked by Mexico and henceforth didn't get to the finals. "World Champions" no, I don't think so. Master_Live

That's right. The American basketball "team" is all about individuals. Most countries play for pride while the American teams don't even care. In baseball, the Americans don't even send their best players.

Well they don't send their best players because we would have to stop the regular MLB season.

Why would it have to be stopped?  Didn't the 2006 Baseball Classic start before the season?  I'm pretty sure it was in March.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Master_Live
[QUOTE="Master_Live"][QUOTE="GamerForca"][QUOTE="bozit"][QUOTE="roulettethedog"]

[QUOTE="minos30"]I find it kind of pathetic that they call themselves the world champions, it may be the "best" league in the world but I doubt it. In basketball The US got its butt kicked by the Argentinians and in the Baseball world cup you got your butts kicked by Mexico and henceforth didn't get to the finals. "World Champions" no, I don't think so. GamerForca

Why would it have to be stopped? Didn't the 2006 Baseball Classic start before the season? I'm pretty sure it was in March.

Well maybe I didn't made myself clear. I was talking about the Olympics. But you can't seriously take the WBC as real tournament. The WBC is a vehicle for MLB in other to expand the game overseas. I'm from Puerto Rico, and live here in Puerto Rico, and to every country, except for the US, this tournament was much more than to a game, it was for pride, for country. Teams like Cuba always play together through out their careers and where able to pitch complete games and slide hard at home as contrary to the US' players, and MLB players in general, who knew the real season started after spring training.

Don't get me wrong, team's from Puerto Rico, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Japan, Venezuela can beat the US, but it has to be in real competition, the WBC it's not real to the US, the Olympics are real but like I said before, MLB would have to stop the season and because they would loose millions and millions of dollar they won't do it. So at the end I guess we would never find out for real.
minos30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 minos30
The bottom line is... Canada 8-6 USA Korea 7-3 USA OUCH! MEXICO 2-1 USA..... you should think on playing another sport. Couldn't get past the 2 round??? here's the roster: Young, M 2B Jeter SS**** Griffey CF**** Jones, C 3B*** Rodriguez, A DH*** Damon 1- PR-DH*** Wells RF Teixeira 1B**** Francoeur LF Barrett C Varitek a- PH-C*** Clemens P******* Shields P Fuentes P BY THE WAY... THE TOURNAMENT WAS IN MARCH SO NO SEASON WAS IN THE WAY. .... and then god created Edgar Gonzalez, pitching sliders, curveballs..... leaves jeter and his .450 avg. 0-4!! Sanctify Derek for he has sucked. Thank you! On to basketball.... BASKETBALL!! here's the roster: Emeka Okafor Carmelo Anthony*** Carlos Boozer Lamar Odom Dwyane Wade*** Tim Duncan*** Amare Stoudemire*** Shawn Marion Richard Jefferson Allen Iverson*** Stephon Marbury*** LeBron James*** ... and god created Manu Ginobili which with 29 pts. beat Carmelo, Tim Duncan, Dwayne Wade, Stouda, Marbury, Lebron James and Allen Iverson. THANK YOUUUUUUUUUUU i rest my case!!! Oh and that livelyhood crap goes the same for the opposing teams player which play in European or South American Leagues and do this for a living for a fraction of what "dream team players" get paid, YET GET BETTER RESULTS. TO WIN YOU NEED PRIDE IN ONES COUNTRY AND BALLS... TO PLAY OF COURSE. MONEY ONLY GETS YOU SO FAR.... WORLD CHAMPIONS.... I DON'T THINK SO.
Flaming_Ape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 Flaming_Ape
Member since 2007 • 3246 Posts
Probably because the professional sports in America are considered the best in the world, so therefore champions of professional sports leagues in the U.S. are considered "world champions".
romocop33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 romocop33
Member since 2005 • 2755 Posts
you don't think the international basketball tournaments matter to the players? ask gilbert arenas. after he was cut from Team USA he vowed to score 50 points on every team he played that had anyone involved with Team USA. and for the players who actually played in the tournament, all they were hearing for the last decade is how other countries have caught up to the USA in basketball and how Team USA always choked in international tournaments. you don't think they wanted to win gold? don't kid yourself. anyone who has every played sports knows that you want to win every time you step out onto the court. its too bad for Team USA in basketball because its a no win situation for them. if they win gold, no one really cares because everyone will just say the USA is supposed to win gold. but if they don't win gold, everyone goes crazy and asks how they could lose in basketball to some european or south american team.

EDIT: and the reason Team USA keeps losing in basketball isn't because south america and europe have just as good of players as the US. anyone who thinks that doesn't know much about basketball. its because many of the other international teams have been playing with each other forever and play regularly, not just in the olympics or the world basketball championships like team usa. its pretty hard to come together with a dozen guys you've never played with before and play well with only a few weeks of practice.
minos30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 minos30
Any way you look at it its pretty basic, 1- If the players don't care about putting the US name on the top because they don't want to risk livelyhood thats pathetic and a lie. 2- American sports are the best in the world... no. Just because you pour in billions into the game doesn't mean its the best. The US has always been afraid to open its borders on the main american sports Baseball, Foot ball, Basketball. Baseball- opened up and they lost terribly, didn't get past the 2nd round. Football- nobody plays it but you people. period nobody cares about this one. So you can be world champios if you are the only ones playing it. The European leagues are for NFL washed up players. Basketball- well this one you can dominate it but thanks to the arrogance of the dream team they lost. God is just. Hockey- Its pretty even with all the teams in the world. And thats why it's called "Stanley Cup." So they are going to close up again so they don't get embarrased, and only participate when the olympics come around.
romocop33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 romocop33
Member since 2005 • 2755 Posts
Football- nobody plays it but you people. period nobody cares about this one. So you can be world champios if you are the only ones playing it. The European leagues are for NFL washed up players. minos30
really? nobody else in the world cares about football? that must be why the nfl sold out azteca stadium in mexico city for a preseason (see: exhibition) game. and also why the nfl will play a regular season game in london next season.
fordies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 fordies
Member since 2005 • 5829 Posts
Probably because the professional sports in America are considered the best in the world, so therefore champions of professional sports leagues in the U.S. are considered "world champions".Flaming_Ape

Why exactly do you think people would consider professional sports in American as the best in the world because i think if you asked the majority of the world population they would more than likely say football(soccer) is the best as it is the most participated and watched sport in the world plus the fact in some countries American sports are practically non existent so therefore they know nothing about them.

I don't know why they call them world champions as we have the same situation in Europe where our leagues are much better than the rest of the world with all the top players wanting to play here and we don't call the champions league winners world champions but I think the fact that we have a way of finding out since every continent has a champions league or something similar where the best football(soccer) teams from each country in the continent play against each other and the winners from each continent then play in the world club championship and the winners of that are called world champions by a small minority of fans.
EnergyAbsorber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 EnergyAbsorber
Member since 2005 • 5112 Posts

I find it kind of pathetic that they call themselves the world champions, it may be the "best" league in the world but I doubt it. In basketball The US got its butt kicked by the Argentinians minos30

US beat Argentina in last years Fiba Championship.:| Greece is the team that beat the US. And you act like only americans play in the NBA when they have players from many different countries all over the world. Thats like any basketball players dream, to play in the NBA.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Master_Live
[QUOTE="minos30"]The bottom line is... Canada 8-6 USA Korea 7-3 USA OUCH! MEXICO 2-1 USA..... you should think on playing another sport. Couldn't get past the 2 round??? here's the roster: Young, M 2B Jeter SS**** Griffey CF**** Jones, C 3B*** Rodriguez, A DH*** Damon 1- PR-DH*** Wells RF Teixeira 1B**** Francoeur LF Barrett C Varitek a- PH-C*** Clemens P******* Shields P Fuentes P BY THE WAY... THE TOURNAMENT WAS IN MARCH SO NO SEASON WAS IN THE WAY. .... and then god created Edgar Gonzalez, pitching sliders, curveballs..... leaves jeter and his .450 avg. 0-4!! Sanctify Derek for he has sucked. Thank you! On to basketball.... BASKETBALL!! here's the roster: Emeka Okafor Carmelo Anthony*** Carlos Boozer Lamar Odom Dwyane Wade*** Tim Duncan*** Amare Stoudemire*** Shawn Marion Richard Jefferson Allen Iverson*** Stephon Marbury*** LeBron James*** ... and god created Manu Ginobili which with 29 pts. beat Carmelo, Tim Duncan, Dwayne Wade, Stouda, Marbury, Lebron James and Allen Iverson. THANK YOUUUUUUUUUUU i rest my case!!! Oh and that livelyhood crap goes the same for the opposing teams player which play in European or South American Leagues and do this for a living for a fraction of what "dream team players" get paid, YET GET BETTER RESULTS. TO WIN YOU NEED PRIDE IN ONES COUNTRY AND BALLS... TO PLAY OF COURSE. MONEY ONLY GETS YOU SO FAR.... WORLD CHAMPIONS.... I DON'T THINK SO.

But the weren't in playing form.
minos30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 minos30
... and then god created Edgar Gonzalez, pitching sliders, curveballs..... leaves Derek Jeter and his .450 avg. 0-4!!
Ernice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#35 Ernice
Member since 2005 • 1269 Posts

its just a figure of speech you know?

for example, look at the NFL, its called the Vince Lombardi Trophy. but we all know it doesnt belong to him. just named after him. something like that. dont bother fussing yourself over such trivial matters.

like the Champions' League. not all the teams inside are Champions. just well, second best third best teams.

XxMa5icarxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 XxMa5icarxX
Member since 2004 • 6621 Posts
why r u people crying over this.
thegordoloco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 thegordoloco
Member since 2004 • 461 Posts
Because the USA rules the world, so anything that comes out of this country is the best. That's the answer you were looking for, right?murlow12
no comments.... a*****e m**********r
duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#39 duxup
Member since 2002 • 43443 Posts
I don’t think we need another thread to devolve into another my sport is better than your sport bickering thread.

Haven’t we had enough of that? Is it so hard for folks just to enjoy the sports they enjoy and move on with their lives?