Michael Jordan is mine. I got the privilege of watching him win all 6 of his NBA championships growing up.
The Chicago Bulls were the epitome of NBA basketball in the 90's and Jordan was the soul reason why. Yes
it helped that he had a great supporting cast and probably the greatest NBA coach of all time. Regardless,
Jordan's will to win was second to none. This video was just a quick illustration of that. Jordan was on the 1989 dream team in which went down in history as
the greatest NBA team of all time and where Magic and Bird realized there was a new sheriff in town and they
had to relinquish the throne.
Jordan's resume includes:
- 6× NBA champion (1991–1993, 1996–1998)
- 6× NBA Finals MVP (1991–1993, 1996–1998)
- 5× NBA Most Valuable Player (1988, 1991–1992,1996, 1998)
- 14× NBA All-Star (1985–1993, 1996–1998,2002–2003)
- 3× NBA All-Star Game MVP (1988, 1996, 1998)
- 10× All-NBA First Team (1987–1993, 1996–1998)
- All-NBA Second Team (1985)
- NBA Defensive Player of the Year (1988)
- 9× NBA All-Defensive First Team (1988–1993,1996–1998)
- NBA Rookie of the Year (1985)
- NBA All-Rookie First Team (1985)
- 10× NBA scoring champion (1987–1993,1996–1998)
- 3× NBA steals champion (1988, 1990, 1993)
- 2× NBA Slam Dunk Contest champion (1987–1988)
- Chicago Bulls all-time leading scorer
- No. 23 retired by Chicago Bulls
- 3x AP Athlete of the Year (1991, 1992, 1993)
- 2x USA Basketball Male Athlete of the Year (1983–84)
- NBA's 50th Anniversary All-Time Team
- NCAA champion (1982)
- 2× Consensus first team All-American (1983–1984)
- Consensus National Player of the Year (1984)
- ACC Player of the Year (1984)
- No. 23 retired by North Carolina
There hasn't been a discussion about the greatest NBA player of all time not involving Jordan in a long time.
My honorable mention would be Bo Jackson. Only athlete to be named an All-Star in 2 major American sports.
He was a powerhouse of a running back and a strong slugger and good all around defensive player.
He probably would have been good at anything he did though.
So who is your favorite athlete and why GS?