Second annual Gamespot NFL quarterback rankings (currently voting for #10)

• 129 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Boston_Boyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Boston_Boyy
Member since 2008 • 4103 Posts

I enjoyed this last and felt now would be a good time to pull it out again due to the realtively slow pace of news this time of year brings to the sports calender.  Like last year we will vote for each spot in the ranking and I will keep all polls in this OP as we rank each quarterback in the NFL.  

These rankings are not meant to be based only on the 2012 season or as a ranking of career accomplishments, but rather the Quarterback you would take for a single season if all other things including coaching staffs and surrounding players were equal.  Also like last year i'll list 4 quarterbacks along with fifth unlisted option that i'll allow a write-in vote for.  New poll choices will be based on Footballfuture's current consensus rankings. 

I'll leave each poll open between 24 and 48 hours, though will likely err on the side of caution, on closing the poll before 48 hours is up only in the case of a runaway.   

The list
1. Aaron Rodgers
2. Tom Brady
3. Peyton Manning
4. Drew Brees
5. Ben Roethlisberger
6. Joe Flacco
7. Eli Manning
8. Matt Ryan
9. Robert Griffin III
10. Currently voting
11. Coming 3/7 or 3/8

Boston_Boyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Boston_Boyy

Just a reminder, here are last year's rankings (#1-16):

1. Aaron Rodgers
  2. Drew Brees
  3. Tom Brady
  4. Peyton Manning
  5. Eli Manning
  6. Ben Roethlisberger
  7. Tony Romo
  8. Phillip Rivers
  9. Matthew Stafford
  10. Jay Cutler
  11. Michael Vick
  12. Cam Newton
  13. Matt Schaub
  14. Matt Ryan
  15. Joe Flaco
  16. Andy Dalton
monkeytoes61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#3 monkeytoes61
Member since 2005 • 8399 Posts

Joe Flacco behind Can't, Schaub and Vick last year, hilarious. I'm going with Rodgers. Still the most accurate passer in the league, and his improved mobility over his closest competitors for the #1 ranking is a big plus.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#4 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts
I will take a Discount Double Check and choose Rodgers.
yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Blaine Henne or Chad Gabbert.

Major_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Major_Snake
Member since 2007 • 5271 Posts

Hmm I'd say Rodgers by far number 1. After that though... take your pick.

Swanogt19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 Swanogt19
Member since 2008 • 24159 Posts
I got sh*t for putting Flacco in the top 10 last year. Dude was Superbowl MVP
Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Master_Live

But the real debate is: who is ELITE? :P *cue to 10 pages discussing what an elite QB is*

ice144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ice144
Member since 2005 • 3350 Posts
I wonder if people are going to disrespect matt ryan again this year. Anyways, Aaron rodgers.
Boston_Boyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Boston_Boyy

I wonder if people are going to disrespect matt ryan again this year. Anyways, Aaron rodgers.ice144
Ryan was ranked 8th in the Football Future poll i'm basing the upcoming answer choices options on.  He was also the highest ranked QB without a ring and had the lowest standard deviation of any QB not in the top or bottom 5.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
Damn I'm surprised Jay Cutler was so high up on last year's rankings. Anyway Rodgers gets my vote for #1
Bobbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Bobbles
Member since 2003 • 11678 Posts
I'd just do the top 10 for this, f*ck the rest. Rodgers or Brady #1... I think I said the same thing last year and I went with Rodgers, I'll go with that again.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Aaron Rodgers over Tom Brady who should be second.

Major_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Major_Snake
Member since 2007 • 5271 Posts

I think based on our list, Brees falls down to #4

Silverbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Silverbond
Member since 2008 • 16130 Posts

How  did  Matt Ryan fall to 14th last year?

DaJuicyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DaJuicyMan
Member since 2010 • 3557 Posts

For some reason I voted for Brees in the poll .. i meant Brady

Boston_Boyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Boston_Boyy

How  did  Matt Ryan fall to 14th last year?

Silverbond

I thought it was too low, but i'd imagine the Giants playoff game debacle and being 0-3 were the biggest seasons.

DaJuicyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DaJuicyMan

Rodgers hasnt done ish in the playoffs outside one year

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 DroidPhysX
Member since 2010 • 17098 Posts
Brady over Rodgers.
Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Oleg_Huzwog
Member since 2007 • 21885 Posts

DaJuicyMan

If you ignore the Superbowl year, his playoff TD & INT numbers are 9 & 3, with a 304 yard per game average and a 64% completion rate.  Not too shabby.

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DroidPhysX

[QUOTE="DaJuicyMan"]

Oleg_Huzwog

If you ignore the Superbowl year, his playoff TD & INT numbers are 9 & 3, with a 304 yard per game average and a 64% completion rate.  Not too shabby.

What's his record in those games?
Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Oleg_Huzwog
Member since 2007 • 21885 Posts

[QUOTE="Oleg_Huzwog"]

[QUOTE="DaJuicyMan"]

DroidPhysX

What's his record in those games?

1-3.  In the three losses, Packers averaged 32 points scored and 44 points given up.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 jg4xchamp

DaJuicyMan

Because it was his fault Kaepernick ran all over his defense.

Plus what the f*ck has Brady done in the playoffs? Beat up on Tim Tebow's Broncos and Matt Shaub's texans? He hasn't looked good against the Ravens the last 2 years, and his team lost another Superbowl.

Playoff play should count, but it should not be some end all/be all to the point it disregards what actually happened in the games. Plus as of today Aaron Rodgers is the more physically gifted player, he's younger, and in his prime.

Boston_Boyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Boston_Boyy

For some reason I voted for Brees in the poll .. i meant Brady

DaJuicyMan

I'll keep this in mind.  It probably won't matter but it's close enough (3 votes) to the point where i'll probably pull it somewhere close to 48 hours since it was initially posted (so late afternoon-early evening tomorrow).

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DroidPhysX

[QUOTE="DaJuicyMan"]

jg4xchamp

Plus what the f*ck has Brady done in the playoffs? Beat up on Tim Tebow's Broncos and Matt Shaub's texans? He hasn't looked good against the Ravens the last 2 years, and his team lost another Superbowl.

Playoff play should count, but it should not be some end all/be all to the point it disregards what actually happened in the games. Plus as of today Aaron Rodgers is the more physically gifted player, he's younger, and in his prime.

You can't control who you face, bro.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 jg4xchamp

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]

[QUOTE="DaJuicyMan"]

DroidPhysX

You can't control who you face, bro.

I get that, but it's not like Brady has done much in the playoffs. His seasons have ended as uneventful as anyone elses lately. Not questioning his excellence, but are we arguing who is the best QB right now or who is the more accomplished QB right now? Because then 1 and 2 are still Tom Brady and Peyton Manning if it's the latter.

If it's the former we are discussing than Rodgers playoff failures are right in line with Brady, and if anything in the last 4 years Rodgers has won a ring, where as Brady hasn't. Rodgers overall stats in the playoffs are also far more impressive than Tom Brady if you wanted to make this a stat argument. Rodgers team have just come up flat. The same way Tom Brady's have. The same way Peyton Manning's have.

But whatever I think we should skip the top 4 because that order is just some combination of Rodgers-Brady-Manning-Brees, and then after that the order is actually worth discussing.

kittensRjerks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 kittensRjerks
Member since 2010 • 3802 Posts

I hate to say it mainly cause I don't like the guy but... Tom Brady

Boston_Boyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Boston_Boyy

And with that Aaron Rodgers is the best Quarterback in the NFL for a second straight year.  Poll for #2 is up, Ben Roethlsiberger (5th in FF's ranking) added to the poll.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Master_Live
I will go with RG3.
Bobbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Bobbles
Member since 2003 • 11678 Posts
I will go with RG3.Master_Live
Joke. Tom Brady.
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
Brady
Avatar image for deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa
deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

Going to have to go with Peyton. He has a better arm and more accuracy than Brady.

DaJuicyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 DaJuicyMan

So if it's current.. I think Flacco has to be top 4.

ice144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ice144
gotta give it to manning, he proved he's a great qb in any situation this year. Brady still hasn't, i just can never seem to respect him after seeing matt freaking cassel lead the pats to a great record.
monkeytoes61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 monkeytoes61
gotta give it to manning, he proved he's a great qb in any situation this year. Brady still hasn't, i just can never seem to respect him after seeing matt freaking cassel lead the pats to a great record.ice144
Who also led the Chiefs to the playoffs. Cassel has some talent, he just never was able to put it together for very long. And Brady went 16-0 with that team a year earlier. A five win difference is huge. Brady has his faults, but saying the 2008 season proved something against him is a weak argument at best.
ice144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ice144
[QUOTE="ice144"]gotta give it to manning, he proved he's a great qb in any situation this year. Brady still hasn't, i just can never seem to respect him after seeing matt freaking cassel lead the pats to a great record.monkeytoes61
Who also led the Chiefs to the playoffs. Cassel has some talent, he just never was able to put it together for very long. And Brady went 16-0 with that team a year earlier. A five win difference is huge. Brady has his faults, but saying the 2008 season proved something against him is a weak argument at best.

I know it's weak, but it doesnt stop it from always lingering in my head when someone mentions brady
DaJuicyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 DaJuicyMan
[QUOTE="monkeytoes61"][QUOTE="ice144"]gotta give it to manning, he proved he's a great qb in any situation this year. Brady still hasn't, i just can never seem to respect him after seeing matt freaking cassel lead the pats to a great record.ice144

I know it's weak, but it doesnt stop it from always lingering in my head when someone mentions brady

But Peyton getting smacked in his first playoff game every year doesn't linger in your head?
Silverbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Silverbond
Member since 2008 • 16130 Posts

DaJuicyMan
Absolutely not.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa

[QUOTE="ice144"][QUOTE="monkeytoes61"] Who also led the Chiefs to the playoffs. Cassel has some talent, he just never was able to put it together for very long. And Brady went 16-0 with that team a year earlier. A five win difference is huge. Brady has his faults, but saying the 2008 season proved something against him is a weak argument at best.DaJuicyMan

But Peyton getting smacked in his first playoff game every year doesn't linger in your head?

Brady has doesn't much either recently.

Avatar image for No_Hablo_Ingles
No_Hablo_Ingles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 No_Hablo_Ingles
Member since 2009 • 8448 Posts
[QUOTE="DaJuicyMan"]

Silverbond
Absolutely not.

butz he gotz a ring!
monkeytoes61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 monkeytoes61
I guess I don't understand the difference between laying an egg in the regular season compared to post season when it comes to rating QBs. We don't do that for any other position. That's why I think Dan Marino is the greatest QB to ever play. The arm, the lightning quick release, he made everyone around him better. He would hit 5,000 yards every season in this era. I think the idea that the post season is this magical place where the rules change is sort of dumb. Someone's legacy shouldn't be defined by a couple games.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 jg4xchamp
[QUOTE="DaJuicyMan"]

Silverbond
Absolutely not.

Yeah f*ck that.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 jg4xchamp

I guess I don't understand the difference between laying an egg in the regular season compared to post season when it comes to rating QBs. We don't do that for any other position. That's why I think Dan Marino is the greatest QB to ever play. The arm, the lightning quick release, he made everyone around him better. He would hit 5,000 yards every season in this era. I think the idea that the post season is this magical place where the rules change is sort of dumb. Someone's legacy shouldn't be defined by a couple games.monkeytoes61
Playoffs should matter to an extent. Regular season success involves chump competition as well. Plus you play to win, and you play to win the Superbowl. That position as a whole is overpraised/overhated too often, but with the way the game is? Especially in today's era where the game is even further into the offenses favor. I'd say you can't ignore post season success or lack there of. It just shouldn't completely overrule the rest of their body of work. 

Plus anyone can say whatever they want, but Dan didn't lose every game because of his team. He himself played like hot garbage in a lot of playoff games. He was physically one of the most gifted QBs, but the lack of a ring does beg the question of how good were you really? Any great QB should win at least one, but again that gets into discussion of a QB a lot of the people in this board never really saw in the 80s, and I don't think it's fair to judge 90s Marino too harshly. As awful as he was in some playoff games, he was stuck in some conflicting situations with Johnson as his coach. 

Boston_Boyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Boston_Boyy

I guess I don't understand the difference between laying an egg in the regular season compared to post season when it comes to rating QBs. We don't do that for any other position. That's why I think Dan Marino is the greatest QB to ever play. The arm, the lightning quick release, he made everyone around him better. He would hit 5,000 yards every season in this era. I think the idea that the post season is this magical place where the rules change is sort of dumb. Someone's legacy shouldn't be defined by a couple games.monkeytoes61
I'd agree that Dan Marino is underrated but post-season performance and results matter because in the end that's what pro sports are about.  Plenty of teams/players have had great regular seasons (Bills of the early-mid 90s, Braves of the 90s, Suns of the 2000s), it's how you perform when the results matter the most that separates those with similar numbers.

Jackboot343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Jackboot343
Member since 2007 • 2574 Posts

Russell Wilson if surrounding players were equal. He reminds me of a mobile Brees, however, I'm not impressed by Seattle's current receiving corps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa

Russell Wilson if surrounding players were equal. He reminds me of a mobile Brees, however, I'm not impressed by Seattle's current receiving corps

Jackboot343

Wilson better than Brees, Manning, and Brady? Are you on crack?

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 DroidPhysX
Wilson will be the third best QB next year. Take it to the bank.
Boston_Boyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Boston_Boyy

Wilson will be the third best QB next year. Take it to the bank.DroidPhysX
Easy there man.  There are few RW fans bigger than me, but let's not forget the fact that the Seahawks attempted fewer passes than anyone in the league last year.  He's got the tools to be upper-tier easily, but I don't think he's elite at any one thing enough to crack top 3.

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 DroidPhysX

[QUOTE="DroidPhysX"]Wilson will be the third best QB next year. Take it to the bank.Boston_Boyy

Easy there man.  There are few RW fans bigger than me, but let's not forget the fact that the Seahawks attempted fewer passes than anyone in the league last year.  He's got the tools to be upper-tier easily, but I don't think he's elite at any one thing enough to crack top 3.

That was in the first half of the season. He was still on training wheels but then he just let it fly and trucked over defenses with his arm and legs.
monkeytoes61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 monkeytoes61
Rick Mirer had a great rookie season too. Russell impressed me after playing like trash from weeks 1-9, but I'm still not sold. I'm still holding my breath.