Roger Goodell considers having 14 to 16 teams in the playoffs

• 99 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa
deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

My source is Adam Schefter's facebook. Yay or nay?

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
This might be his worst idea yet.
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Chutebox  Online
Member since 2007 • 50546 Posts

I am officially sick of goodell. Another completely ridiculous idea.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts
Crap, just like the NBA. NFL playoffs are perfect.
NightStalkerBX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 NightStalkerBX
Member since 2006 • 2032 Posts

This is an awful idea. I'd say the NFL has the most perfectly balanced playoff system out of the 4 major sports leagues. Not exclusive enough for it to be the same old teams over and over again, but not inclusive enough to make a division title worthless.

-Halftime-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 -Halftime-
Member since 2007 • 10004 Posts
lmfao, this guy is an idiot. Just cares about $$$$$$$
Avatar image for No_Hablo_Ingles
No_Hablo_Ingles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 No_Hablo_Ingles
Member since 2009 • 8448 Posts
Crap, just like the NBA. NFL playoffs are perfect. Master_Live
This, although I like baseballs playoffs now more with the 1 game playoff for wildcard.
sfkm2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 sfkm2
Member since 2005 • 67813 Posts
What is up with this guy? :lol:
36Ounces

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 36Ounces
Member since 2006 • 2065 Posts

[QUOTE="Master_Live"]Crap, just like the NBA. NFL playoffs are perfect. No_Hablo_Ingles
I like baseballs playoffs now more with the 1 game playoff for wildcard.

That sh*t is even more of a fckn joke than Goodells idea :lol: How does a team that finishes 6 games behind the wild card leader deserve a 1 game playoff? I can see if both teams are within 1 or 2 games, but any more than that is ridiculous. You're a dumbass if you like that or think it's even fair. Money grab as always.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18792 Posts

This is an awful idea. I'd say the NFL has the most perfectly balanced playoff system out of the 4 major sports leagues. Not exclusive enough for it to be the same old teams over and over again, but not inclusive enough to make a division title worthless.

NightStalkerBX
Explain why the Wild card team always win? That is a some what flawed system
-Halftime-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 -Halftime-
The NFL has a perfect number of teams make it, but any system that is a one game elimination will never be perfect.
PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 PSP107

[QUOTE="No_Hablo_Ingles"][QUOTE="Master_Live"]Crap, just like the NBA. NFL playoffs are perfect. 36Ounces

I like baseballs playoffs now more with the 1 game playoff for wildcard.

That sh*t is even more of a fckn joke than Goodells idea :lol: How does a team that finishes 6 games behind the wild card leader deserve a 1 game playoff? I can see if both teams are within 1 or 2 games, but any more than that is ridiculous. You're a dumbass if you like that or think it's even fair. Money grab as always.

I think it will be fixed next year. But it was dumbed how the Rangers only played one game depsite having better records than the Tigers. The reason why people hate NBA Playoffs because of the 1st round does drag on. 1st round should go back to best of 5. They should also play more back to back games. As far as Goodell proposal, I can see it becuase it would get rid of the 1st round byes.
DaJuicyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DaJuicyMan
Member since 2010 • 3557 Posts

Goodell is either a dumbass that wants to kill the game or a skillful troll.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 PSP107
The NFL has a perfect number of teams make it, but any system that is a one game elimination will never be perfect.-Halftime-
But alot times the most qualified teams dont make it. The 2010 NY GiantBuccs too) had a 10-6 record but missed the playoffs. 2011 the Giants had a 9-7 record and won the whole thing.
No_Hablo_Ingles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 No_Hablo_Ingles
[QUOTE="36Ounces"That sh*t is even more of a fckn joke than Goodells idea :lol: How does a team that finishes 6 games behind the wild card leader deserve a 1 game playoff? I can see if both teams are within 1 or 2 games, but any more than that is ridiculous. You're a dumbass if you like that or think it's even fair. Money grab as always.

I didn't say it was fair, I said I like baseball's playoffs more now. Previously, there was no difference between being the 1 seed and being the wild card. Now teams have a reason to not be one of the wild card teams, and win their division- To not have a 1 game playoff. The last month of baseball was more interesting and open with 2 WC teams.
Bobbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Bobbles
Member since 2003 • 11678 Posts
Goodell=Waste
Put_in_Kitna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Put_in_Kitna
Member since 2009 • 2765 Posts

I say we get rid of wild cards all together. Let only division winners take part in it. Elite football only. Not some BS 9-7 team getting hot while they had a mediocre year. Yeah I said it Giants fans.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 PSP107

I say we get rid of wild cards all together. Let only division winners take part in it. Elite football only. Not some BS 9-7 team getting hot while they had a mediocre year. Yeah I said it Giants fans.

Put_in_Kitna
Thats why I laugh when people always dissed the NBA regular season but usally the best teams always win while in NFL/MLB its all about the last month of the season. I like the NFL wild card games though. adding more teams will get rid of the the 1st round bye week
-Halftime-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 -Halftime-

Put_in_Kitna
Not a bad idea at all. I like it. I dislike the "get hot in december and win the Super Bowl" stuff. But like I said, 1 game playoffs will always be exciting yet imperfect for that reason.
PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 PSP107
[QUOTE="-Halftime-"][QUOTE="Put_in_Kitna"]

Not a bad idea at all. I like it. I dislike the "get hot in december and win the Super Bowl" stuff. But like I said, 1 game playoffs will always be exciting yet imperfect for that reason.

some Im guessing you hate March Madness?
Put_in_Kitna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Put_in_Kitna

[QUOTE="-Halftime-"][QUOTE="Put_in_Kitna"]

PSP107

That is a 64 team bracket. Way different.

-Halftime-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 -Halftime-
[QUOTE="PSP107"][QUOTE="-Halftime-"][QUOTE="Put_in_Kitna"]

I like it. It's really exciting. But 9/10 times, the best team doesn't win it. Last year was an exception. My point being about one game playoffs, it's exciting and makes for great viewing, but I like how in a 7 game series, the better team always wins, always, except if there's an injury. Thats why it's imperfect. Imagine if the NBA Finals was over after one game? Could you be confident to say that the best team won? You can't actually know after one game, That's how it is in College b ball and stuff. It's the best format for football cus there's no other conceivable way to do it.
PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 PSP107

[QUOTE="PSP107"][QUOTE="-Halftime-"] Not a bad idea at all. I like it. I dislike the "get hot in december and win the Super Bowl" stuff. But like I said, 1 game playoffs will always be exciting yet imperfect for that reason.Put_in_Kitna

how many upsets happen in college ball during that 64(65) bracket?
Put_in_Kitna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Put_in_Kitna

[QUOTE="Put_in_Kitna"]

[QUOTE="PSP107"] some Im guessing you hate March Madness?PSP107

When you have 64 teams there is bound to be upsets brah. We are also talking about 18-19 year old kids.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 PSP107
[QUOTE="Put_in_Kitna"]

[QUOTE="PSP107"][QUOTE="Put_in_Kitna"]

When you have 64 teams there is bound to be upsets brah. We are also talking about 18-19 year old kids.

who have good regular seasons
monkeytoes61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#27 monkeytoes61
Member since 2005 • 8399 Posts
[QUOTE="PSP107"][QUOTE="-Halftime-"] Not a bad idea at all. I like it. I dislike the "get hot in december and win the Super Bowl" stuff. But like I said, 1 game playoffs will always be exciting yet imperfect for that reason.-Halftime-

I like it. It's really exciting. But 9/10 times, the best team doesn't win it. Last year was an exception. My point being about one game playoffs, it's exciting and makes for great viewing, but I like how in a 7 game series, the better team always wins, always, except if there's an injury. Thats why it's imperfect. Imagine if the NBA Finals was over after one game? Could you be confident to say that the best team won? You can't actually know after one game, That's how it is in College b ball and stuff. It's the best format for football cus there's no other conceivable way to do it.

I don't think sports leagues are about the best team winning, I think it's about who can step up and play the best during crunch time. That's why I like single game elimination opposed to a seven game series.
Put_in_Kitna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Put_in_Kitna

[QUOTE="-Halftime-"][QUOTE="PSP107"] some Im guessing you hate March Madness?monkeytoes61

I don't think sports leagues are about the best team winning, I think it's about who can step up and play the best during crunch time. That's why I like single game elimination opposed to a seven game series.

Says the 7-9 guy.

monkeytoes61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#29 monkeytoes61
Member since 2005 • 8399 Posts

[QUOTE="monkeytoes61"][QUOTE="-Halftime-"] I like it. It's really exciting. But 9/10 times, the best team doesn't win it. Last year was an exception. My point being about one game playoffs, it's exciting and makes for great viewing, but I like how in a 7 game series, the better team always wins, always, except if there's an injury. Thats why it's imperfect. Imagine if the NBA Finals was over after one game? Could you be confident to say that the best team won? You can't actually know after one game, That's how it is in College b ball and stuff. It's the best format for football cus there's no other conceivable way to do it.Put_in_Kitna

Says the 7-9 guy.

Because nine out of ten times, we lose to the Saints, haha.
Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Master_Live

How does a team that finishes 6 games behind the wild card leader deserve a 1 game playoff?

36Ounces

Well, how is that a team which doesn't win their division deserve to play in the playoffs?
[QUOTE="NightStalkerBX"]

PSP107

So it is flawed if your expectations aren't fulfilled?

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 PSP107
[QUOTE="Master_Live"]

[QUOTE="36Ounces"] Well, how is that a team which doesn't win their division deserve to play in the playoffs? [QUOTE="PSP107"][QUOTE="NightStalkerBX"]

So it is flawed if your expectations aren't fulfilled?

lol, Division winning is overated in sports because most team benefit from playing in a weaker division. and as far as your comment towards me goes, all im saying it seems like that the playoffs is more set up for the wild card team to win. What if the 7-9 SeaHawks had one the Super Bowl?
cell_dweller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 cell_dweller  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 19867 Posts
Goodell and Bettman. Between the two I don't know which one's worse and they both need to end up shipwrecked on a deserted island or something.
No_Hablo_Ingles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 No_Hablo_Ingles
[QUOTE="Put_in_Kitna"]

-Halftime-

That doesn't change the last SB.... The Giants won our division last year.
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#34 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
"Les make it like NBA homie" Absolutely great idea!! The Jets would be in the playoffs right now with 16 teams..........The Jets!!
36Ounces

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 36Ounces
Member since 2006 • 2065 Posts

[QUOTE="36Ounces"]

How does a team that finishes 6 games behind the wild card leader deserve a 1 game playoff?

Master_Live

Well, how is that a team which doesn't win their division deserve to play in the playoffs?

I like havin the wild card. Can see why some don't like it, but it makes things more exciting toward the end of the year. And if you're the better team, you should win a best of 5 series. No way in hell there should be a 1 game playoff for the wild card though. That's unless two teams are tied, or within 1 or maybe 2 games of each other.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Master_Live

I like havin the wild card. Can see why some don't like it, but it makes things more exciting toward the end of the year. And if you're the better team, you should win a best of 5 series. No way in hell there should be a 1 game playoff for the wild card though. That's unless two teams are tied, or within 1 or maybe 2 games of each other.

36Ounces

The only thing that I like about the new format is that teams are scare as hell of playing on the Play in Game that they try really hard to win their division. But I agree that a baseball season shouldn't come down to one game.

The problem with the old format was that the only penalties for being the Wild Card was not getting home field for the Division Series/Championship Series(even though they could get home field for the WS:|) and playing the #1 seed on the first and they could even avoid that is the #1 seed was from their own division. They didn't suffer enough.

Which is why I would go with 2 divisions per league, with top two teams getting in. More fighting for that top two spot by more teams, plus expanding the 1st round to 7 games so weak second place teams get exposed faster.

Boston_Boyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37 Boston_Boyy
Member since 2008 • 4103 Posts

"Les make it like NBA homie" Absolutely great idea!! The Jets would be in the playoffs right now with 16 teams..........The Jets!!X360PS3AMD05
I was coming here to say this, along with the fact that the Browns, Bills, Dolphins, and Chargers would just be a single game out. Now one may argue the fact that more teams would be competing for the final few playoff spots to be a good thing, but i'd disagree and say for the for the most part the general high-quality of NFL teams who make the playoffs is what makes the NFL's playoff race the most intriguing (along with baseball). We've seen the Giants (07), we've seen the Steelers (05), we've seen the Packers (10') all come out of 5th or 6th seeds that were clinched within the final week or two go on to make runs at the Super Bowl title in the past 7 years, while we've very rarely seen the same from NBA or NHL 7th and 8th seeds.

Swanogt19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#38 Swanogt19
Member since 2008 • 24159 Posts
Hell no.
Swanogt19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#39 Swanogt19
Member since 2008 • 24159 Posts
Goodell and Bettman. Between the two I don't know which one's worse and they both need to end up shipwrecked on a deserted island or something.cell_dweller
Bettman because the guy has had 3 lockouts under him as league commissioner.
Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

Put_in_Kitna

It's better than a 7-9 team winning their awful division and going to the playoff. There goes your "elite football only." Neither system is perfect.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Master_Live
People keep hanging on the 7-9 Seahawks team. Guys, that was an exception, so stop it.
Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Toxic-Seahorse

People keep hanging on the 7-9 Seahawks team. Guys, that was an exception, so stop it. Master_Live
Stop what? Proving him that undeserving teams can get into the playoffs even if only division winners are allowed? That's a perfect example and completely fits what I'm trying to say, that even a division winner only playoff system has its drawbacks.

Boston_Boyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43 Boston_Boyy
Member since 2008 • 4103 Posts

[QUOTE="Master_Live"]People keep hanging on the 7-9 Seahawks team. Guys, that was an exception, so stop it. Toxic-Seahorse

Stop what? Proving him that undeserving teams can get into the playoffs even if only division winners are allowed? That's a perfect example and completely fits what I'm trying to say, that even a division winner only playoff system has its drawbacks.

I'm not a fan of division winners only, but the Seahawks were an exception of having an awful regular season team in the playoffs. A full 16 team slate would almost guarantee 8-8 and 7-9 teams in the playoffs almost every year.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Toxic-Seahorse

[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"]

[QUOTE="Master_Live"]People keep hanging on the 7-9 Seahawks team. Guys, that was an exception, so stop it. Boston_Boyy

I'm not a fan of division winners only, but the Seahawks were an exception of having an awful regular season team in the playoffs. A full 16 team slate would almost guarantee 8-8 and 7-9 teams in the playoffs almost every year.

Yeah, but I wasn't supporting a 16 team playoff either.
Put_in_Kitna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Put_in_Kitna

[QUOTE="Put_in_Kitna"]

Toxic-Seahorse

It's better than a 7-9 team winning their awful division and going to the playoff. There goes your "elite football only." Neither system is perfect.

I wasn't completely serious. I mean it sounds nice but I like it the way it is now to be honest. Eitherr way that year was a fluke, also LOL at the Saints for getting destroyed.

BatCrazedJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 BatCrazedJoker
Member since 2012 • 1611 Posts
Goodell is an idiot.
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Chutebox  Online

[QUOTE="Master_Live"]People keep hanging on the 7-9 Seahawks team. Guys, that was an exception, so stop it. Toxic-Seahorse

Heh, no system will be perfect. But the one the NFL has now is the closest thing to perfect.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#48 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Not too sure why so many people want to see people die at an early age but ehhh, ok.....

First of all if you're against this change you haven't watched an NFL game since the 70's when they started expanding the playoff formula so if you have a problem with expanding the playoffs you can kindly shut your mouth, you haven't watched a game in over 4 decades.

What we're seeing is that the NFL season for the most part is a sprint, a three game losing streak destroys your entire season. There's such a need to get players back on the field faster that it significantly impacts their lives while playing and when they're out of football. We're just starting to see the effects of playing professional football in the modern age.

Now there's been talks to extend the season but that doesn't do anything, you're still in that sprint and the players are still going to be rushed back in order to claim a playoff spot.

On the other hand if you increase the number of spots in the postseason you allow teams to rest an injured player, go on that three game losing streak, and still get into the playoffs.

The only reason a player is rushed back is to secure a playoff spot. If that problem is eliminated then instances of rushing a player back onto the field decrease.

Anyone who says this hurts the product or somehow decreases the importance of the regular season doesn't know the sport.

There's always going to be teams that will shoot for the top spot and host the playoffs, there's always going to be that mission for teams.

On the other hand if your star QB or linebacker has a concussion they can stay out until they're completely healthy and your team can still win a championship.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Chutebox  Online

Not too sure why so many people want to see people die at an early age but ehhh, ok.....

First of all if you're against this change you haven't watched an NFL game since the 70's when they started expanding the playoff formula so if you have a problem with expanding the playoffs you can kindly shut your mouth, you haven't watched a game in over 4 decades.

What we're seeing is that the NFL season for the most part is a sprint, a three game losing streak destroys your entire season. There's such a need to get players back on the field faster that it significantly impacts their lives while playing and when they're out of football. We're just starting to see the effects of playing professional football in the modern age.

Now there's been talks to extend the season but that doesn't do anything, you're still in that sprint and the players are still going to be rushed back in order to claim a playoff spot.

On the other hand if you increase the number of spots in the postseason you allow teams to rest an injured player, go on that three game losing streak, and still get into the playoffs.

The only reason a player is rushed back is to secure a playoff spot. If that problem is eliminated then instances of rushing a player back onto the field decrease.

Anyone who says this hurts the product or somehow decreases the importance of the regular season doesn't know the sport.

There's always going to be teams that will shoot for the top spot and host the playoffs, there's always going to be that mission for teams.

On the other hand if your star QB or linebacker has a concussion they can stay out until they're completely healthy and your team can still win a championship.

Jaysonguy

I congratulate you. Only you, Mex, and that philly/NY knicks fan are able to post so much stupid in a single post. Truly commendable.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#50 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Chutebox

I congratulate you. Only you, Mex, and that philly/NY knicks fan are able to post so much stupid in a single post. Truly commendable.

I'm sorry you have a problem with facts

Also are you in the bunch that hasn't watched the NFL for the last 40+ years?