Report: Auburn paid players, altered grades under Gene Chizik

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 DroidPhysX
Member since 2010 • 17098 Posts

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2013/04/03/ncaa-football-auburn-violations-gene-chizik/2051041/

Auburn's football program altered grades to ensure eligibility, offered "several thousand dollars" to entice would-be draft picks to return for their senior seasons and knowingly violated NCAA recruiting rules, several ex-Tigers told former New York Timesand Sports Illustrated coluumnist Selena Roberts, whose report appeared on her Web site, Roopstigo.com.

Each of the allegations occurred under coach Gene Chizik, who led Auburn to the 2010 national championship the program's first since 1957 but was fired after last season. He has since been replaced by Gus Malzahn, who served as Chizik's offensive coordinator from 2009-11.

According to three former players, the university changed the grades of as many as nine student-athletes leading into the 2011 BCS National Championship Game, when Auburn beat Oregon 22-19 to complete its undefeated season.

"We thought we would be without (running back) Mike Dyer because he said he was one of them, but Auburn found a way to make those dudes eligible," Mike Blanc, a multiple-year starter along the Tigers' defensive line, told Roberts. Dyer would gain a game-high 143 yards on 22 carries in Auburn's win.

Auburn coaches offered cash payments to players, for reasons varying from a potential early entry into the NFL draft to simply having "a bad day at practice," Roberts reports. Former wide receiver Darvin Adams alleged that coaches offered cash to lure him away from entering the draft; while Adams wouldn't disclose the sum, both Blanc and another former teammate, Mike McNeil, put the total at "several thousand dollars."

Said Adams: "It was like, we'll do this and that for you. But I'd rather do things the right way. I am happy I didn't say yes to that stuff. That's what I'd tell kids."

"Coaches would say, 'Don't tell anyone where you got it from,'" Blanc said. McNeil recounts a meeting with then-defensive coordinator and current Florida coach Will Muschamp in 2007:

"I had no clue what it was about because I'd never directly asked him for anything," McNell said. "He slid about $400 over to me. He went into a drawer and gave me money and said, 'Is this enough? Is this good?' And I said, 'Yeah, I'm good.'"

Muschamp denied making the payment through a spokesperson, Roberts said.

The coaching staff also went well beyond the NCAA's prescribed per diem when entertaining prospective recruits, said former Auburn defensive back Nieko Thorpe. He cites an instance involving star prospect Dre Kirkpatrick an eventual Alabama signee: Auburn coaches gave student-athlete recruits $500 to entertain Kirkpatrick, while the NCAA limits such recruiting expenses to less than $50 per day.

The allegations further cloud Chizik's up-and-down tenure at the university, which reached its apex during that 2010 season but bottomed out a season ago, when the Tigers failed to win a game in SEC play for the first time since 1980.

NCAA investigators spent several weeks last fall looking into Auburn's recruiting practices, specifically digging into 2012 signee Jovon Robinson, whose Memphis-area high school transcripts were found to be forged.

Auburn came under heavy scrutiny in 2010 for its recruitment of star quarterback Cam Newton. According to an ESPN.com report, an individual purporting to represent Newton was allegedly soliciting a six-figure payment in exchange for Newton's letter of intent. While the NCAA never found any evidence of wrongdoing in the case, the investigation cast a shadow over the Tigers' otherwise sterling 2010 season.

Chizik now works as a college football analyst for ESPN. Auburn did not respond to USA TODAY Sports' request for comment.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#2 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts
What can I say, this shit probably happens all the time. Good someone gets caught though.
Boston_Boyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 Boston_Boyy
Member since 2008 • 4103 Posts

This is the same writer who had the A-Rod steroid story.  I really hope it's followed up on.

monkeytoes61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#4 monkeytoes61
Member since 2005 • 8399 Posts

Always bittersweet. Nice that someone got caught red handed and will be punished, but we know that almost everyone else is doing similar stuff. Maybe not on the level of changing student grades, but there is shady backroom stuff going on in most programs.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50556 Posts

You know, when schools get caught, I'm good with that.  But if it's the players who took all the money/benefits from the school who rat them out, that just pisses me off.  So I hope it wasn't them who blew the whistle. 

starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 starwarsjunky
Member since 2009 • 24765 Posts
they SHOULD be paid...
CJL13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 CJL13
Member since 2005 • 19137 Posts

they SHOULD be paid...starwarsjunky

Scholarships not good enough?

starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 starwarsjunky

[QUOTE="starwarsjunky"]they SHOULD be paid...CJL13

they get ~20-25k in the form of scholarships. considering all the money/advertisement/merchandising they bring to the schools through the football program, it should be much more.
monkeytoes61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 monkeytoes61
they SHOULD be paid...starwarsjunky
No they shouldn't. They already get a free tuition. I think players should be able to market themselves and make money like that (Manziel selling Johnny Football gear for instance). But a base salary? Hell no.
kingkong0124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 kingkong0124
Member since 2012 • 8329 Posts

lul not surprised

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Chutebox
[QUOTE="CJL13"]

[QUOTE="starwarsjunky"]they SHOULD be paid...starwarsjunky

they get ~20-25k in the form of scholarships. considering all the money/advertisement/merchandising they bring to the schools through the football program, it should be much more.

Scholarships are more than that.
starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 starwarsjunky
[QUOTE="starwarsjunky"][QUOTE="CJL13"]

Chutebox

depends on the tuition+room&board of the school...
GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

#13 GamerForca
Member since 2005 • 7203 Posts
[QUOTE="CJL13"]

[QUOTE="starwarsjunky"]they SHOULD be paid...starwarsjunky

Closer to 100k.... I do believe, however, that they should get a stipend.
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Chutebox
[QUOTE="starwarsjunky"][QUOTE="Chutebox"][QUOTE="starwarsjunky"] they get ~20-25k in the form of scholarships. considering all the money/advertisement/merchandising they bring to the schools through the football program, it should be much more.

depends on the tuition+room&board of the school...

All the big schools are more than that, which is what these is obviously about.
starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 starwarsjunky
[QUOTE="starwarsjunky"][QUOTE="Chutebox"]

Chutebox

100k? maybe if its harvard...
monkeytoes61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 monkeytoes61
[QUOTE="starwarsjunky"][QUOTE="Chutebox"][QUOTE="starwarsjunky"] they get ~20-25k in the form of scholarships. considering all the money/advertisement/merchandising they bring to the schools through the football program, it should be much more.

You don't have any idea how much tuition and room/board is, do you? Even staying in state and living on the cheap, easily $60,00+ for four years.
starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 starwarsjunky
[QUOTE="monkeytoes61"][QUOTE="starwarsjunky"][QUOTE="Chutebox"] Closer to 100k.... I do believe, however, that they should get a stipend.

You don't have any idea how much tuition and room/board is, do you? Even staying in state and living on the cheap, easily $60,00+ for four years.

i'm talking per year...thats how tuition and salary are both usually referred to...
GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GamerForca

[QUOTE="monkeytoes61"][QUOTE="starwarsjunky"] 100k? maybe if its harvard...starwarsjunky

i'm talking per year...thats how tuition and salary are both usually referred to...

20-25k is probably their total per year if they stay in-state (30-50k for out-of-state state), so if that's indeed what you meant in your first post, then sure.  However, that's a pretty damn good salary for a college student.

On another note, Will Muschamp is being directly accused of paying a player while at Auburn.  Sweet.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#19 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts
That isn't a salary.
GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GamerForca
Why are you splitting hairs?
monkeytoes61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 monkeytoes61

That isn't a salary. Master_Live
It might as well be. It covers food, tuition, housing. The only things a player on scholarship would need money for is personal items/entertainment, which could easily be afforded by working 15 hours a week at McDonalds.

Like I noted before, I think players should be able to market themselves and make money off their fame. But they should be at college for school, not sports. They should not get free tuition and get a base salary.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Chutebox
That isn't a salary. Master_Live
Yes it is...
starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 starwarsjunky

[QUOTE="Master_Live"]That isn't a salary. monkeytoes61

It might as well be. It covers food, tuition, housing. The only things a player on scholarship would need money for is personal items/entertainment, which could easily be afforded by working 15 hours a week at McDonalds.

Like I noted before, I think players should be able to market themselves and make money off their fame. But they should be at college for school, not sports. They should not get free tuition and get a base salary.

i'm not saying they should get much. maybe 50-100/week. enough so they can enjoy themselves a bit.
CursedChamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 CursedChamp
Member since 2013 • 485 Posts
I am not surprised by this and I wonder what the NCAA will do to them.
ps3theJT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ps3theJT
Member since 2010 • 1137 Posts

Yeah first Cam was paid and should have been ineligible for the 2011 National Championship game now the running back. NCAA needs to vacate that sh*t.  they did the same to USC.

geaux321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#26 geaux321
Member since 2003 • 19424 Posts
Hope you people followed up on this great piece of reporting.
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
meh It's SEC football so Auburn are probably still cheaters even though this turned out to be shoddy reporting
shirleysln1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 shirleysln1
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
I'm not going to deny that soccer fans can be insane
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Chutebox
Hope you people followed up on this great piece of reporting.geaux321
What happened? I haven't heard anything since this thread.