Randy Moss: I'm greatest WR ever

• 66 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

36Ounces

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 36Ounces
Member since 2006 • 2065 Posts

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2012/story/_/id/8893843/super-bowl-2013-randy-moss-says-greatest-wr-ever-play

He top 10 but no way the best all time.

-Halftime-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 -Halftime-
Member since 2007 • 10004 Posts
He would have a point if he said he was the second best receiver, because that's certainly a good argument, but Jerry Rice's statistics just destroy Randy's in every way.
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
Jerry Rice said that Moss had the physical ability and talent to be the best ever, but since he didn't give it 100% all the time he's a distant #2 (at best). Rice is right. There's a reason the Patriots were able to get Moss from the Raiders for basically nothing.
-Halftime-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 -Halftime-
Member since 2007 • 10004 Posts
Jerry Rice said that Moss had the physical ability and talent to be the best ever, but since he didn't give it 100% all the time he's a distant #2 (at best). Rice is right. There's a reason the Patriots were able to get Moss from the Raiders for basically nothing. JML897
Yeah. He definitely didn't give his all unless he was in the right situation. That's unfortunate.
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50536 Posts

Rice is leagues ahead of others

36Ounces

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 36Ounces

Remember watchin Moss at Marshall in college. Might be the best college WR i've ever seen.

monkeytoes61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#7 monkeytoes61
Member since 2005 • 8399 Posts
Athletically, physically, maybe. All around package? No sir. Give me a guy who runs precise routes over the athletic freak any day. Rice, Berry, Alworth, Largent.
monkeytoes61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 monkeytoes61
http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/post/_/id/8894538/randy-moss-better-jerry-rice :lol: at Irvin and Bruce ahead of Largent and Hutson. Mr. Largent held every record when he retired playing with average QBs, and Hutson is the greatest receiver to ever play football.
0diN_7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 0diN_7
Member since 2010 • 1061 Posts

Obviously Moss is a great WR but the arrogance that it takes for him to say he's the best is willful ignorance on his part. Apart from all other arguments, where was Rice at the end of his career? Still going strong. Moss is a second rate reciever in the league at this point. In the face of that his stats just don't measure up over the course of his career and like a previous poster explained, some of the best WRs didn't even have the quality Qbs that exist now considering the game used to be much more run heavy.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts
You cannot compare their career stats because Jerry Rice played into his 40's. If any great receiver played 20 seasons they would have monster stats. Randy Moss in my opinion is the most fun to watch athlete of my generation. I remember in 07 with New England, every time Brady threw the ball deep you knew you were gonna see something amazing. Any one who doubts how amazing he's been, go watch career highlights on YouTube. Jerry Rice could do none of that.
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
You cannot compare their career stats because Jerry Rice played into his 40's. If any great receiver played 20 seasons they would have monster stats. Randy Moss in my opinion is the most fun to watch athlete of my generation. I remember in 07 with New England, every time Brady threw the ball deep you knew you were gonna see something amazing. Any one who doubts how amazing he's been, go watch career highlights on YouTube. Jerry Rice could do none of that. GoldenElementXL
Even at the same points in their career (seasons played), jerry rice's stats > moss. So you can't use longevity in this case. Plus Jerry was a better blocker and more dependable. If you want to argue that moss had the most talent/ability/potential, then I agree. But talent =/= greatness and certainly =/= GOAT. Bo Jackson is one of the greatest talents I have ever seen at RB, but injury derailed his career. His supreme talent does not make him the GOAT (or even put him in the discussion). Moss' issue is not one of injury, but one of effort IF, big if, he had worked like Rice or Irvin or any other number of WR's, then he would have been. But he did not...which is a shame. He has no one to blame but himself for not being the GOAT
Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts
Moss had Kerry Collins, Duane Culpepper, Jeff George, Gus Ferrote, Aaron Brooks, Vince Young, Randall Cunningham, Andrew Walter, Todd Bouman, Spergon Wynn, and Brad Johnson throwing him the ball in his prime. Rice had Montana and Young during his peak. Look what happened when an older Moss got Brady. As for people saying he took plays off Bill Belichick even said than if Moss were to take a play off, he had 2 defenders there with him.
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
QB does play a part, but that is part of the lot you draw (same as having a good line for a QB or a RB), having a good D or a bad one (bad D = playing from behind = run less and throw more which affects stats), etc, etc, etc. I would also say that Culpepper was a damn good QB pre injury. Cunningham was also elite with the Eagles and with the Vikes. Then he had Brady. So that is 3 good QBs (at least at the time) throwing to Moss. Rice also had some stinkers throwing him the ball. Anyone remember Jeff Kemp and Elvis Grbac (he caugh 8 td's from each of them)? The 49'ers were terrible at the end of his run there...which is why they let him leave. His list of QB's also includes: Steve Bono, Rick Mirer, Mike Moroski, Terry Kirby, Harry Sydney, and Matt Cavanaugh Another Counter would be that Moss had Carter for much of his career...another (eventual) HOF'er to take pressure off. He also had a great RB in Robert Smith and a good 3rd WR in Minnesota for a while. That team was f*cking stacked on offense (at least as much or more so than any 49'er team). Moss has also benefited (as all offensive players have) from rules that favor the offense (increases stats and prolongs careers) Moss has admitted to taking games and plays off. He is also a capitalistic blocker (which is part of being a good WR). He also never won a championship. And it is not like he did not have some great teams...the Minnesota team set the record for offense...later broken by the Pats I agree that he had the best talent. But he is not the GOAT....coulda, shoulda, woulda.
The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
I'll go with the only real answer and say Don Hutson is the greatest. the man did everything. And he was a Packer. >_>
DaJuicyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DaJuicyMan
Member since 2010 • 3557 Posts

I only saw Oakland Rice but Moss dominated in a way ive never seen before. He's the GOAT in terms of talent but his career doesnt touch Jerry's.

Definitely top 5 all time. And if he got to play with a legit QB for more than 3 seasons.. Dang.

cell_dweller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 cell_dweller  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 19867 Posts
Man, whatever Moss is smoking must be really good to make him think that he's better than Rice. CJ over in Detroit has the right attitude about life, and he actually has a chance to be one of the greatest ever, if not the greatest.
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JML897
Don Hutson might as well have played in the middle ages. He shouldn't even count. Jerry Rice is the undisputed GOAT
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Chutebox

You cannot compare their career stats because Jerry Rice played into his 40's. If any great receiver played 20 seasons they would have monster stats. Randy Moss in my opinion is the most fun to watch athlete of my generation. I remember in 07 with New England, every time Brady threw the ball deep you knew you were gonna see something amazing. Any one who doubts how amazing he's been, go watch career highlights on YouTube. Jerry Rice could do none of that.GoldenElementXL

As someone who watched both, :lol:

monkeytoes61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 monkeytoes61
[QUOTE="JML897"]Don Hutson might as well have played in the middle ages. He shouldn't even count. Jerry Rice is the undisputed GOAT

He was posting modern NFL numbers in the 1940s when throwing the football was still a desperation move at best. He's the greatest receiver to ever play the game.
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 JML897
That's partly because passing was new and defenses didn't know how to adjust to the routes he was running. Most important WR? Probably. Best? No
Bobbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Bobbles
Member since 2003 • 11678 Posts
Largent over Irvin? Nah brah. Don't give me a No Hablo argument either, thanks.
monkeytoes61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 monkeytoes61
Largent over Irvin? Nah brah. Don't give me a No Hablo argument either, thanks.Bobbles
Largent spent his entire career catching passes from average QB talent (Jim Zorn and Dave Krieg) in a run first offense (Ground Chuck). This is a case where being a boisterous personality overshadows the small, quiet guy that Steve Largent was. And he did retire with every single receiving record in the book.
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Chutebox

No one pushed off like Michael "I love hookers and cocaine" Irvin.

Bobbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Bobbles
[QUOTE="Bobbles"]Largent over Irvin? Nah brah. Don't give me a No Hablo argument either, thanks.monkeytoes61
Largent spent his entire career catching passes from average QB talent (Jim Zorn and Dave Krieg) in a run first offense (Ground Chuck). This is a case where being a boisterous personality overshadows the small, quiet guy that Steve Largent was. And he did retire with every single receiving record in the book.

Michael Irvin played in a run first offense and put Aikman in the HoF. Thanks.
monkeytoes61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 monkeytoes61

If Steve Largent were 6'3", 215 pounds and ran a 4.6 40, he would be the greatest receiver of all time. Nobody had better hands, nobody ran more precise routes, and nobody knew the game better than Steve Largent. His only limitations were being small and slow, and he still schooled DBs that were bigger and faster.

Like I said earlier, this is more of a preference thing for me. I'll take great hands and precise routes over pure athleticism and speed any day in my WRs.

Bobbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Bobbles

No one pushed off like Michael "I love hookers and cocaine" Irvin.

Chutebox
"Catch that slant or go back to the ghetto".
Bobbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Bobbles

If Steve Largent where 6'3", 215 pounds and ran a 4.6 40, he would be the greatest receiver of all time. Nobody had better hands, nobody ran more precise routes, and nobody knew the game better than Steve Largent. His only limitations were being small and slow, and he still schooled DBs that were bigger and faster,monkeytoes61
If Wes Welker was 6'3, 215 and ran a 4.6 40.. he'd be the best WR in the league today. :lol:

Bobbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Bobbles

If Steve Largent were 6'3", 215 pounds and ran a 4.6 40, he would be the greatest receiver of all time. Nobody had better hands, nobody ran more precise routes, and nobody knew the game better than Steve Largent. His only limitations were being small and slow, and he still schooled DBs that were bigger and faster.

Like I said earlier, this is more of a preference thing for me. I'll take great hands and precise routes over pure athleticism and speed any day in my WRs.

monkeytoes61
Thing is, Irvin had everything you just mentioned. He worked harder than anybody in practice.
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Chutebox
[QUOTE="monkeytoes61"]

Bobbles
Thing is, Irvin had everything you just mentioned. He worked harder than anybody in practice.

Don't forget the push offs!
Bobbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Bobbles
[QUOTE="Bobbles"][QUOTE="monkeytoes61"]

Chutebox

Word and the best at pushing scrubs out of the way.
Put_in_Kitna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Put_in_Kitna
Member since 2009 • 2765 Posts

[QUOTE="Bobbles"][QUOTE="monkeytoes61"]

Chutebox

Jordan did the same thing, if you own at doing it then do it brah. Also F*** yourself. 

Put_in_Kitna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Put_in_Kitna

1. Rice
2. Irvin
3. Moss
4. Owens
5. Carter

Those are the guys ive seen the most in my 25 years. 

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Chutebox

[QUOTE="Chutebox"][QUOTE="Bobbles"] Thing is, Irvin had everything you just mentioned. He worked harder than anybody in practice.Put_in_Kitna

Jordan did the same thing, if you own at doing it then do it brah. Also F*** yourself. 

Jordan did the same thing? :lol:

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 JML897

Jordan's most famous shot ever was a push off

Different sport, but yeah. As long as Irvin could get away with it I don't see anything wrong with him doing it.

DaJuicyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 DaJuicyMan

Really? Irvin top 5?

No way he's better than Moss. NO WAYYYYYYYY.

Yusuke420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#36 Yusuke420
Member since 2012 • 2770 Posts

Moss is #2 for me, but had he lived up to his awesome talent, he would have been #1. 

36Ounces

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 36Ounces

Top WR's i've seen

1. J Rice
2. R Moss
3. C Carter
4. M Irvin
5. M Harrison
6. I Bruce
7. TO
8. R Wayne

Calvin Johnson will be there soon.

Yusuke420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#38 Yusuke420
Member since 2012 • 2770 Posts

Top WR's i've seen

1. J Rice
2. R Moss
3. C Carter
4. M Irvin
5. M Harrison
6. I Bruce
7. TO
8. R Wayne

36Ounces

Also AJ Green and Julio Jones are on the rise!

36Ounces

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 36Ounces

[QUOTE="36Ounces"]

Top WR's i've seen

1. J Rice
2. R Moss
3. C Carter
4. M Irvin
5. M Harrison
6. I Bruce
7. TO
8. R Wayne

Yusuke420

Also AJ Green and Julio Jones are on the rise!

Yup, and Larry Fitzgerald if he had a QB.

Put_in_Kitna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Put_in_Kitna

Really? Irvin top 5?

No way he's better than Moss. NO WAYYYYYYYY.

DaJuicyMan

Absolutely. I won't really argue if you put Moss ahead of him tho. Not top 5 tho? Get out. 

realistic44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 realistic44
Member since 2008 • 8458 Posts

Don Hutson is the greatest wr of all time imo ;)

monkeytoes61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 monkeytoes61
My top five 1. Don Hutson 2. Jerry Rice 3. Raymond Berry 4. Steve Largent 5. Toss up. Moss, Irvin, Alworth, Carter could all fit here.
DaJuicyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 DaJuicyMan

I think you overvalue those old players too much.

Hutson probably wouldn't even make the NFL today.

If Justin Blackmon played 60 years ago he would've been king.

monkeytoes61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 monkeytoes61
You probably wouldn't like who I think is the greatest player in NFL history then.
Los9090

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#45 Los9090
Member since 2004 • 7288 Posts
Randy could've been, maybe had one of the best quotes in WR history..."Straight cash, homie".
DaJuicyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 DaJuicyMan
You probably wouldn't like who I think is the greatest player in NFL history then.monkeytoes61
Please share with the group.
blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#47 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2012/story/_/id/8893843/super-bowl-2013-randy-moss-says-greatest-wr-ever-play

He top 10 but no way the best all time.

36Ounces

I think he forgot about another receiver who holds all the records by the name of Jerry Rice. Honestly, Jerry could have easily play for another 2-3 seasons if he wanted to. He was still in incredible shape and better then many of the new receivers in the league.

I love Jerry Rice's reaction to Moss' comments.

"Rice said Tuesday he was surprised by Moss' comments.

"I impacted the game by winning Super Bowls," Rice said. "... Randy is still trying to win his first one, and I wish him the best, but I was very surprised that he said he's the best receiver to ever play the game. I leave that up to my fans to make that statement.""

He's right though. Moss hasn't even won a Super Bowl yet, but will get his chance on Sunday.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#48 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts
[QUOTE="monkeytoes61"][QUOTE="JML897"]Don Hutson might as well have played in the middle ages. He shouldn't even count. Jerry Rice is the undisputed GOAT

He was posting modern NFL numbers in the 1940s when throwing the football was still a desperation move at best. He's the greatest receiver to ever play the game.

What's his career stats and how many Super Bowls did he will with the Packers?
Bobbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Bobbles
[QUOTE="blackace"][QUOTE="monkeytoes61"][QUOTE="JML897"]Don Hutson might as well have played in the middle ages. He shouldn't even count. Jerry Rice is the undisputed GOAT

Why don't you look it up yourself you lazy f*ck? The SB didn't exist when he played, waste.
monkeytoes61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 monkeytoes61

[QUOTE="monkeytoes61"][QUOTE="JML897"]Don Hutson might as well have played in the middle ages. He shouldn't even count. Jerry Rice is the undisputed GOATblackace

Before the Super Bowl era. And in 1942, he caught 74 passes for 1211 yards and 17 TDs. Unreal.