Giants beat Royals 3-2. Win 3rd World Series in 5 years.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

The 10 most intriguing questions for spring training.

Full camps will star soon, nice. Anxious to see how Tanaka and Pineda look in spring training.

awesome3496

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 awesome3496
Member since 2008 • 2209 Posts

All I know is my Cubbies are not gonna have a very exciting year, again :(

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3  Edited By The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

Why did you make/sticky a second thread? Why not just sticky your old one located here?

monkeytoes61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#4 monkeytoes61
Member since 2005 • 8399 Posts

Actually looking forward to watching the Mariners this year. I've refused to really support them the last few years because they were simply coasting. I'll support a team even if they are bad, so long as they are making an attempt to get better. The Mariners were making no such effort. But spending big on Robinson Cano makes me believe they finally care about winning.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Master_Live

@The-Apostle said:

Why did you make/sticky a second thread? Why not just sticky your old one located here?

That is the offseason thread. You of all people should know that.

36Ounces

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 36Ounces
Member since 2006 • 2065 Posts

Can't wait to watch the ATL boys again this year.

Preseason college baseball poll for those that give a damn http://www.sportswriters.net/ncbwa/poll/

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Master_Live

Oh Captain, my Captain. Lets go out with a bang by winning #28!

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
@Master_Live said:

@The-Apostle said:

The original title of this thread was offseason. Hence the confusion.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

@monkeytoes61 said:

Actually looking forward to watching the Mariners this year. I've refused to really support them the last few years because they were simply coasting. I'll support a team even if they are bad, so long as they are making an attempt to get better. The Mariners were making no such effort. But spending big on Robinson Cano makes me believe they finally care about winning.

you didnt think brining up all of their prospects was an effort? they were just trying to do what tampa did and play small market ball. that move for over paying cano was just to keep ticket sales up. by the time seattle is good again, cano would be over the hill

Boston_Boyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 Boston_Boyy
Member since 2008 • 4103 Posts

I really hope Grady Sizemore proves to have something left in the tank, he was one of my favorite players to watch back just a few years ago. Mostly looking forward to seeing Bogaerts and Bradley Jr's first full seasons in the majors though, things go well and letting go of Ellsbury and Drew (most likely) looks like a brilliant move.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

I was already tired of the Rivera retirement tour last year and I have a feeling this one's gonna be 10x worse. It's already starting.

From MLB.com's Richard Justice:

"In fact, it could be argued that Jeter is the greatest player who ever lived. Wrap your mind around that idea. Think of all the ways we assess a player's career and tell me another player who ranks ahead of Jeter."

Uuuuuuuuuuuugh

monkeytoes61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 monkeytoes61

@jsmoke03 said:

@monkeytoes61 said:

you didnt think brining up all of their prospects was an effort? they were just trying to do what tampa did and play small market ball. that move for over paying cano was just to keep ticket sales up. by the time seattle is good again, cano would be over the hill

Not really. That expansive Seattle Times article detailing the shit show that was their front office summed up why I refused to support them. We all knew it, then that guy did all the investigative work and published it. But that tool bag president retired, and I don't think it's a coincidence that the first personnel move we made after his retirement was the Cano signing.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts

@monkeytoes61: I think the Mariners have made some really bad investments this offseason. I don't see Cano thriving in Safeco, and the Fernando Rodney signing makes me think there's children running the front office. Whenever a pitcher suddenly gets dominant in his late 30's, it's almost always for less than three years. Just look at R.A. Dickey in Toronto. I see Fernando Rodney tanking hard. I also don't think Cano's going to make a big enough impact to compete in the AL West.

The Mariners basically lost a Robinson Cano offensively in Kendrys Morales. Of course, Cano's a much more appealing player, but I don't think replacing a 20+ homer DH with a 20+ homer second basemen is going to thrust Seattle into contention.

monkeytoes61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 monkeytoes61

@IMAHAPYHIPPO: I don't think they are contenders yet either. And I fully expect the Cano signing to start looking worse in five or six years. But we desperately needed the Cano signing. This fanbase needed something to get excited about. Five years of basically sitting around and watching the young talent not pan out has taken its toll. But the Cano signing has rejuvenated fans, it seems.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By IMAHAPYHIPPO

@monkeytoes61: I'm from STL, so naturally I'm a Cardinals fan, but I've always liked the Mariners (more so when I found out they were owned by Nintendo), but those guys in the front office need to go. They don't seem to have a solid idea of what direction they want their team to go. With all those last place finishes, there should be a wealth of young talent dominating the AL West... Somehow, they're not.

Cano would be an awesome signing if they had been drafting well for the last half decade. I think it's the front office people who don't seem to understand how modern baseball statistics work. I hope they find someone who can turn it around. And for the love of God, I hope they don't sign Nelson Cruz.

monkeytoes61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By monkeytoes61

@IMAHAPYHIPPO: Yeah, the first wave of young players definitely have been busts so far (Ackley, Smoak, Guti, Montero). Hoping the second wave (Miller, Zunino, Franklin, Paxton, Walker). If those guys do, with Robbie, Seager and Felix, they could contend.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 IMAHAPYHIPPO

@monkeytoes61: I don't like to hold my own organization up on some kind of pedestal (I mean, come on, of course I do), but the Cardinals consistently draft about 20 picks lower than the Mariners, and they have one of the best farm systems in baseball. If I'm the head of the Mariners, I'm figuring out why they're passing up on the Wacha's of the world, and putting more effort into scouting and drafting.

On the other end, I think buying low on Corey Hart was a great move, but not one that's going to give them the proper edge. The problem is they need one more big bat and at least one more stellar starting pitcher. Unfortunately, the market has none, and I think the Mariners are showing some unwarranted desperation in the Rodney signing that I'm afraid's going to lead to a bad investment in Nelson Cruz. Don't get me wrong, he's got a great bat, but Safeco's going to knock off about 10 home runs, and paying 15 million a year for a 20 home run, 33 year old outfielder is a bad move.

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

Am looking forward to seeing the Tigers kick some more ass this year!

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18792 Posts

@The-Apostle said:
@Master_Live said:

@The-Apostle said:

The original title of this thread was offseason. Hence the confusion.

He/She should of waited until March.

Ring_of_fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Ring_of_fire
Member since 2003 • 15880 Posts

So the Braves have extended Freeman, J-Hey, Teheran, and now Kimbrel. Decent off season!

Boston_Boyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Boston_Boyy

Honestly I'm not quite sure what to make of the Kimbrel extension. He's a smaller power pitcher who's not a free agent until 2017 and could very well likely be at the peak of his value. Feels like thay were bidding against themselves prematurely, it's not like his value could possible get that much better between now and free agency.

Boston_Boyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Boston_Boyy

On a sidenote Ryan Dempster has announced that he'll sit out 2014 to spend more time with his family. Have to admit this is pretty good news for the Red Sox, he was a 6th starter/long reliever at best who wasn't going to provide half the value of the 13M+ he was owed this year. Hopefully that money can be reinvested into depth and/or bringing Drew back.

Ring_of_fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Ring_of_fire

@Boston_Boyy said:

Honestly I'm not quite sure what to make of the Kimbrel extension. He's a smaller power pitcher who's not a free agent until 2017 and could very well likely be at the peak of his value. Feels like thay were bidding against themselves prematurely, it's not like his value could possible get that much better between now and free agency.

I like the way the deal is structured though, from the Braves standpoint. If I remember reading correctly, Kimbrel was asking for around 9 Million in arbitration this year and the braves were at 6.55. Kimbrel will get 7M this year, 9M next, and then 11 and 13 the following two. Barring a huge collapse, his value will most most likely go up (monetarily at least) and would give the Braves certainty in terms of how much they have to spend on payroll rather than going through arbitration every year

He would get pricey in the last two years, three if the option is picked up, but I think it is a good deal for the best closer in the game. ESPECIALLY if Kimbrel won his arbitration case.

And it's still cheaper than BJ Ryan's deal back in 05.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 jsmoke03

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

@monkeytoes61: I think the Mariners have made some really bad investments this offseason. I don't see Cano thriving in Safeco, and the Fernando Rodney signing makes me think there's children running the front office. Whenever a pitcher suddenly gets dominant in his late 30's, it's almost always for less than three years. Just look at R.A. Dickey in Toronto. I see Fernando Rodney tanking hard. I also don't think Cano's going to make a big enough impact to compete in the AL West.

The Mariners basically lost a Robinson Cano offensively in Kendrys Morales. Of course, Cano's a much more appealing player, but I don't think replacing a 20+ homer DH with a 20+ homer second basemen is going to thrust Seattle into contention.

a 20 hr dh and a 20 hr 2nd baseman makes a BIG difference....dh are supposed to do that, 2b not so much...you get that kind of production out of a defensive oriented position (just like ss and cf and c) its a big plus and its not like cano is dan uggla here....he can actually hit from .280-.300 ish.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By IMAHAPYHIPPO

@jsmoke03: Don't get me wrong -- and I said that in my post -- a power hitting second basemen is much more appealing and valuable. Clearly, Cano's a much better player than Morales. But I don't think he's going to be quite the impact the Mariners are hoping. They need a much more dynamic team to thrust them into contention.

And I'm worried they're going to get ahead of themselves and make some more bad investments before the season starts. I think it would advisable to commit to another sub-par season in 2014 and work on continuing to build a winning team over the next offseason. The pieces just weren't -- and still aren't -- there on the open market.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#27 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

Go Nationals.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 PSP107

@Seabas989 said:

Go Nationals.

Since John Wall won the 2014 Dunk Contest, Bryce Harper will win the 2014 Home Run Derby.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Master_Live

@PSP107 said:

@Seabas989 said:

Go Nationals.

Since John Wall won the 2014 Dunk Contest, Bryce Harper will win the 2014 Home Run Derby.

Seems legit.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 IMAHAPYHIPPO
@Master_Live said:

@PSP107 said:

@Seabas989 said:

Go Nationals.

Seems legit.

He's certainly already won the "who can bash his own face in" contest -- twice now.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Master_Live

He should concentrate on getting better, that Trout vs. Harper argument isn't looking good right now.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#32 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

@Master_Live said:

He should concentrate on getting better, that Trout vs. Harper argument isn't looking good right now.

I just want a D.C. team to win a championship. I'm tired of individual accolades.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 PSP107

@Seabas989 said:

@Master_Live said:

I just want a D.C. team to win a championship. I'm tired of individual accolades.

Alex Ovechkin(whatever his name is) will win MVP.

Boston_Boyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Boston_Boyy

Ubaldo Jimenez has agreed to a 4-year/$48M deal with the Orioles. I think it's a pretty solid move from the perspective of the Orioles. He's streaky and that's the risk the Orioles will have to deal with, but he's still shown to be about a 3-4 win player since 2008 and proved just last year that at his best he's near Cy Young quality.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By IMAHAPYHIPPO

@Boston_Boyy: That's pretty much the going rate for an average starter these days (just look at the Edwin Jackson deal), so even if he doesn't perform all that well, the deal will still be fair for the Orioles. If they get Cy Young quality pitching from Ubaldo even a couple of those years, the contract will be a steal.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 jsmoke03

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

@jsmoke03: Don't get me wrong -- and I said that in my post -- a power hitting second basemen is much more appealing and valuable. Clearly, Cano's a much better player than Morales. But I don't think he's going to be quite the impact the Mariners are hoping. They need a much more dynamic team to thrust them into contention.

And I'm worried they're going to get ahead of themselves and make some more bad investments before the season starts. I think it would advisable to commit to another sub-par season in 2014 and work on continuing to build a winning team over the next offseason. The pieces just weren't -- and still aren't -- there on the open market.

yea they arent going to get better until their non pitching prospects get better. zunino, smoak, ackley, seeger and montero have to start producing or cano wouldnt matter since there is either no one on base to drive home or no one to protect him. cano should have just stayed with ny but i guess the money was more appealing

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By jsmoke03
@Boston_Boyy said:

Ubaldo Jimenez has agreed to a 4-year/$48M deal with the Orioles. I think it's a pretty solid move from the perspective of the Orioles. He's streaky and that's the risk the Orioles will have to deal with, but he's still shown to be about a 3-4 win player since 2008 and proved just last year that at his best he's near Cy Young quality.

the orioles have baffled me for years. they cant produce pitching even though they had a lot of talent in the minors. they had matusz, britton, arietta that didnt work out. tilman is the only one to do decent. is it just me or they just need to let those guys go through their lumps before giving up on them. i think britton could still be special but hes at the bottom of their pitching depth and gausman, bundy are still also waiting in the wings

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 IMAHAPYHIPPO

@jsmoke03: They also need more pitching. This isn't 2001 anymore, you can't win championships with Schilling, Johnson, and schlubs. I'm not sure someone like Ervin Santana's the answer, but if I were the M's, I'd take a risk on Johan for a year and see where he's at, considering they're not expected to win this year. Maybe if he returns to dominance they can try locking him up before hitting the open market.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 jsmoke03

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

@jsmoke03: They also need more pitching. This isn't 2001 anymore, you can't win championships with Schilling, Johnson, and schlubs. I'm not sure someone like Ervin Santana's the answer, but if I were the M's, I'd take a risk on Johan for a year and see where he's at, considering they're not expected to win this year. Maybe if he returns to dominance they can try locking him up before hitting the open market.

they have walker and hultzen (well next year when he is all healed). they have iwakuma and king felix...i think they will be fine esp in that park.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 IMAHAPYHIPPO

@jsmoke03: I hope they work out, I've always been big fan of the M's. That's why it's such a bummer to see upper management so inconsistent.

Ring_of_fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Ring_of_fire

Braves signed Simmons to a 7 year deal. A few thoughts:

1) I think having the young core signed to multi-year deals is a good sign for the Braves foreseeable future2) Having the core set in deals rather than dealing with arbitration will probably help the Braves, financial stability.
3) This last deal is risky, especially the last year. Simmons is the best defensive shortstop in the game, but if his bat doesn't improve......
4) Where is this money coming from?

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Master_Live

Braves taking care of business.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By jsmoke03

@Master_Live said:

trout is a phenom, but harper actually has a higher ceiling because he has a cannon arm and i think a higher raw power on the 20-80 scale... with that said, he still needs a lot of development time...but jeez hes like 21 or 22...we got to give him some time.

GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

#44 GamerForca
Member since 2005 • 7203 Posts

@Ring_of_fire said:

1) I think having the young core signed to multi-year deals is a good sign for the Braves foreseeable future2) Having the core set in deals rather than dealing with arbitration will probably help the Braves, financial stability.

3) This last deal is risky, especially the last year. Simmons is the best defensive shortstop in the game, but if his bat doesn't improve......

1. Agreed, they really shut down a lot of people's beliefs that they would lose most of those players pretty soon.3. I think his bat will improve; he's still very young. He definitely has the talent.
4. *shrugs* I just wish Liberty Media would sell the team to Arthur Blank. This might not be such a head-scratcher in that case.

Ring_of_fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Ring_of_fire

@GamerForca said:

@Ring_of_fire said:

1. Agreed, they really shut down a lot of people's beliefs that they would lose most of those players pretty soon.3. I think his bat will improve; he's still very young. He definitely has the talent.

4. *shrugs* I just wish Liberty Media would sell the team to Arthur Blank. This might not be such a head-scratcher in that case.

for #4, the Braves must think the new stadium will bring in a lot more money than Turner. (or also could be in the process of selling to an owner like Arthur Blank)).

As for Simmons, I do think he'll improve. Though the 15M at the end of the deal might be worth it just for his defense...

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 IMAHAPYHIPPO

Side bar -- My redbirds signed Diaz to a four year deal.

Ring_of_fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Ring_of_fire

Braves signed Ervin Santana to a 1 year/14M deal.

This definitely means Medlen is gone for the year....:(

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 PSP107

@Ring_of_fire said:

Braves management couldn't do 2 year/$14m?

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Master_Live

@PSP107 said:

@Ring_of_fire said:

Braves management couldn't do 2 year/$14m?

I think they would had if they could.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Master_Live

So, I heard the MLB season started today, or was it yesterday in Australia. And Dodgers won 3-1 over the D-backs. So there is that.