Official NFL 2013 Season discussion thread

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#151 Posted by Chutebox (37353 posts) -

@Put_in_Kitna said:

@Seabas989 said:

I'm 5-1 in my fantasy league and in 1st place.

Good job not drafting any Redskin players.

Romo got me 8 freaking points and Murry did about the same before getting hurt. I started Romo I thought he'd blow us up after last weeks game. Still won though even though that and megatron and Graham got me a combined 2 points...

#152 Posted by Seabas989 (10378 posts) -

@Put_in_Kitna said:

BTW skin fans I saw protesters at the boys game with signs calling Snyder a racist and what not. I laughed at them for you, you are welcome.

Funny that people care about changing the name when the team was winning. Where were the cries when the team sucked these past 20+ years?

#153 Edited by RevanBITW (565 posts) -

@Seabas989: People have been complaining about it for decades. It's a racial slur, and idiots defending it are doing this in the name of protecting what they've been used to and doesn't want it to change. It's an awful name. Get over it.

#154 Posted by VendettaRed07 (14012 posts) -

l can't believe the Giants are 0-6.

Hopefully they finish the job and get the number 1 pick. Jerry Reese is awful. All his stupid needless risk taking and gambles have finally crippled the team. He needs to go after this year.

#155 Posted by Silverbond (16062 posts) -

@RevanBITW said:

@Seabas989: People have been complaining about it for decades. It's a racial slur, and idiots defending it are doing this in the name of protecting what they've been used to and doesn't want it to change. It's an awful name. Get over it.

A fucking men

#156 Posted by The-Apostle (12190 posts) -

@Seabas989 said:

@Put_in_Kitna said:

@Seabas989 said:

Yeah I always felt drafting players from your favorite team can backfire, especially when the Qb is recovering from a serious knee injury.

I also have no cowgirls, eagles, and giants players in my team lol.

Meh... I have DeSean Jackson in one league and Hakeem Nicks in the other with Vick in both. I also have Mason Crosby in one (picked him up since he's been hot all season) and the Packers in the other. I'm 8-4 overall (3-3, 5-1) after today. I lost in one due to opponent having Vernon Davis. >_>

#157 Edited by The-Apostle (12190 posts) -

@Chutebox said:

@Put_in_Kitna said:

@Seabas989 said:

Romo got me 8 freaking points and Murry did about the same before getting hurt. I started Romo I thought he'd blow us up after last weeks game. Still won though even though that and megatron and Graham got me a combined 2 points...

I started Brees with Vick hurt because of how well he's done against the Patriots throughout his career.

#158 Posted by Put_in_Kitna (2641 posts) -

@RevanBITW said:

The native people who were protesting had red skin color. I mean, it was pretty accurate. I thought it owned.

#159 Posted by starwarsjunky (24735 posts) -

@RevanBITW said:

there's ne reason they need to keep it. just change the name and move on...why keep having this come up?

#160 Posted by Chutebox (37353 posts) -

@starwarsjunky said:

@RevanBITW said:

there's ne reason they need to keep it. just change the name and move on...why keep having this come up?

Because they shouldn't cave in to stupid shit? The name was not a slur, idiots thought it was a slur later on in life. It refers to the fucking paint of the native americans and represented strength and put fear into other. But now we have this fucking country run and inhabited by a bunch of fucking pussies that want to be offended by everything.

#161 Posted by starwarsjunky (24735 posts) -

@Chutebox said:

@starwarsjunky said:

@RevanBITW said:

Because they shouldn't cave in to stupid shit? The name was not a slur, idiots thought it was a slur later on in life. It refers to the fucking paint of the native americans and represented strength and put fear into other. But now we have this fucking country run and inhabited by a bunch of fucking pussies that want to be offended by everything.

meanings of words change. if something becomes offensive, it should be changed.

#162 Posted by Chutebox (37353 posts) -

@starwarsjunky said:

@Chutebox said:

@starwarsjunky said:

@RevanBITW said:

No thanks, that's just stupid.

And like people have stated, (copy/paste) Many others believe that the name is a positive reference to the culture of Native Americans. Many Redskins fans say that it is a reference to the strength and courage of Native Americans. This is just silly.

#163 Posted by starwarsjunky (24735 posts) -

@Chutebox said:

@starwarsjunky said:

@Chutebox said:

@starwarsjunky said:

@RevanBITW said:

And like people have stated, (copy/paste) Many others believe that the name is a positive reference to the culture of Native Americans. Many Redskins fans say that it is a reference to the strength and courage of Native Americans. This is just silly.

but if its offensive to the very people that they're trying to honor, why keep it? :?

#164 Posted by Seabas989 (10378 posts) -

@RevanBITW said:

???

And where in my posts did I say it is nor isn't racist? Anyways when the Skins were 3-6 I didn't see any outcry for the name to be changed especially by the media. Only times I saw an outcry were some Native American group going to court over it and they lost.

#165 Posted by Chutebox (37353 posts) -

@starwarsjunky said:

@Chutebox said:

@starwarsjunky said:

@Chutebox said:

@starwarsjunky said:

@RevanBITW said:

but if its offensive to the very people that they're trying to honor, why keep it? :?

Most Native Americans are not offended by it.

#166 Edited by Chutebox (37353 posts) -

"“And I think what you have to do is look at where the term Redskin was originated. There’s some that give the term Redskins a negative connotation to indicate that it was created by the white man, to offend the Indians. But in reality, the term Redskins came from the Indians. And they referred to themselves often times, in treaty negotiations and meetings with the early settlers, as Redskins."

This is from a former Chief from a tribe.

Also this, "“And we believe that that was a reason for that. We use a bug repellant, for lack of a better term, that was made up of animal fat and the dye of the Puccoon plant. And coincidentally, the Puccoon dye, when it’s crushed and dyed, is red. And so for years, the Indian people were rubbing this red dye into their skin. And some of the other early settlers remarked that their skin turns red. So, was that a comment meant to denigrate the Indian people? I don’t think so. I don’t think the name was created by George Preston Marshall to be offensive.”

#167 Edited by Boston_Boyy (3962 posts) -

@Chutebox said:

"“And I think what you have to do is look at where the term Redskin was originated. There’s some that give the term Redskins a negative connotation to indicate that it was created by the white man, to offend the Indians. But in reality, the term Redskins came from the Indians. And they referred to themselves often times, in treaty negotiations and meetings with the early settlers, as Redskins."

This is from a former Chief from a tribe.

I agree with the general premise that the name doesn't need to be changed but this is a pretty weak argument. You wouldn't use the term negro to describe a black person today because it was the preferred term of civil rights leaders 40-50 years ago. I'll defend the name choice in general though, its has 80-years of history and shouldn't be taken with any offensive meaning in he context of it being a football team's name.

#168 Posted by Chutebox (37353 posts) -

@Boston_Boyy: We call them black, which is the color of their skin.

#169 Posted by The-Apostle (12190 posts) -

@Chutebox said:

@Boston_Boyy: We call them black, which is the color of their skin.

Pretty much this.

#170 Edited by Boston_Boyy (3962 posts) -

@Chutebox: Well right yeah, I don't there are any reasonable people who get offended by the term black today. But I do think you'd like to avoid the term negro (or colored for that matter) even though it was completely socially acceptable not very long ago. Redskin is in a similar situation, at one point it was a completely socially acceptable term, but you probably wouldn't use it today to directly refer to a group of people. I do think however that in the context of football, Redskins doesn't need to be changed as its a historical nickname, rather than a slur that's targeted at hurting people.

My point being context is important, Redskins definitely isn't always an okay thing to say just because of the way we talked 80 years ago. There's a pretty significant difference if I said today: "RG3 is a Redskin" and "South Dakota is full of Redskins".

#171 Edited by GotFiveRings (426 posts) -

You people disgust me. The term is SO racist, I hear it used on a daily basis to describe pocahontas.

#172 Edited by Chutebox (37353 posts) -

@GotFiveRings said:

You people disgust me. The term is SO racist, I hear it used on a daily basis to describe pocahontas.

Pocahontas is hot. That's a Redskin I'd get with!

#173 Posted by RevanBITW (565 posts) -

>Commits genocide on Native Americans

>Makes up names such as Indians and Redskins to describe them

>''Honors'' them through football

Am I missing something?

#174 Posted by Chutebox (37353 posts) -

@RevanBITW said:

Am I missing something?

Yes, white man didn't make up the name Redskin. Native Americans did. Kinda kills the whole argument, should at least. But I know it won't.

#175 Posted by 36Ounces (2065 posts) -

@RevanBITW said:

Am I missing something?

You think Braves is offensive?

#176 Edited by RevanBITW (565 posts) -

@Chutebox: Black people often calls eachother the N-word. White people saying it changes it's meaning, we all understand that. And I doubt it would be ok to call a team like it.

#177 Posted by Chutebox (37353 posts) -

@RevanBITW said:

@Chutebox: Black people often calls eachother the N-word. White people saying it changes it's meaning, we all understand that. And I doubt it would be ok to call a team like it.

Except it wasn't their skin color, but the paint NA were wearing at the time.

#178 Posted by 36Ounces (2065 posts) -

I think it's funny that natives are comin out now sayin they're offended. Never heard this bs before and the name been there a long time. I like the stance of the Skins owner on this.

#179 Posted by RevanBITW (565 posts) -

@36Ounces: I still find it stupid that they pretend to honor a people they've massacred, but at least it's not a derogatory name.

@Chutebox: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redskin_(slang) : ''A linguistic analysis of books published between 1875 and 1930 show an increasingly negative context in the use of redskin, often in association with "dirty", "lying", etc.; while benign or positive usage such as "noble" redskin were used in a condescending manner.[9] The term continued in common use until the 1960s, as evidenced in Western movies, but is now largely considered a pejorative and is seldom used publicly (aside from the football team - see below). As with any term perceived to be discriminatory, different individuals may hold differing opinions of the term's appropriateness.''

#180 Edited by starwarsjunky (24735 posts) -

If it doesn't offend everybody, its clearly not a problem!!!

As long as there's exceptions, its fine!

#181 Posted by 36Ounces (2065 posts) -

They massacred huh? Could of swore that happened way back in the day. Not derogatory how it's used here, they need to get over it.

@RevanBITW said:

@36Ounces: I still find it stupid that they pretend to honor a people they've massacred, but at least it's not a derogatory name.

#182 Edited by Chutebox (37353 posts) -

@starwarsjunky said:

If it doesn't offend everybody, its clearly not a problem!!!

As long as there's exceptions, its fine!

You really don't see how that can be said about you? Serious? If it offends one persons, IT MUST BE CHANGED! Get the fuck over it.

#183 Posted by Chutebox (37353 posts) -

@RevanBITW said:

@Chutebox: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redskin_(slang) : ''A linguistic analysis of books published between 1875 and 1930 show an increasingly negative context in the use of redskin, often in association with "dirty", "lying", etc.; while benign or positive usage such as "noble" redskin were used in a condescending manner.[9] The term continued in common use until the 1960s, as evidenced in Western movies, but is now largely considered a pejorative and is seldom used publicly (aside from the football team - see below). As with any term perceived to be discriminatory, different individuals may hold differing opinions of the term's appropriateness.''

Ya, saw that too. Which is why I looked further and found the stuff from the actual former Chief who explained other things.

#184 Posted by DaJuicyMan (3517 posts) -

Would a team name like the Pasadena pale folk be offensive?

#185 Edited by mems_1224 (47236 posts) -

Redskins is a dumb name anyways. They should change it to something cool like the Tomahawks or some other cool Native American theme.

#186 Posted by DaJuicyMan (3517 posts) -

Or how about the New York goldsteins? the logo can just be some old bald guy with a massive nose and some bling. My jewish friend says its not offensive

#187 Edited by Chutebox (37353 posts) -

Loving all the people acting offended now.

#188 Posted by DaJuicyMan (3517 posts) -

@Chutebox:

word. fvcking wusses

#189 Edited by RevanBITW (565 posts) -

Yeah! Man up and accept racial slurs! Like a real man!...?????

#190 Posted by Chutebox (37353 posts) -

@RevanBITW said:

Yeah! Man up and accept racial slurs! Like a real man!...?????

It's not a racial slur. I've already shown why it isn't. Done deal.

#191 Edited by DaBrainz (7673 posts) -

They should drop the Washington from their name as its an insult to the founding father.

#192 Edited by RevanBITW (565 posts) -

@Chutebox: How does invalidate the fact that Redskin has been used as a slur for a long time?

#193 Posted by Chutebox (37353 posts) -

@RevanBITW said:

@Chutebox: How does invalidate the fact that Redskin has been used as a slur for a long time?

I have never once heard anyone use the word Redskin as a slur, have you? Because some people might have used it as a slur a shit load of years ago doesn't mean every other logical person should use it or think of it like that.

Do you think the word gay is in some way negative? Because people use it as an insult to call people stupid. Maybe we should stop using the word gay, too?

#194 Posted by RevanBITW (565 posts) -

@Chutebox: People aren't using it anymore because they've been practically wiped out. lmao

#195 Posted by Chutebox (37353 posts) -

@RevanBITW said:

@Chutebox: People aren't using it anymore because they've been practically wiped out. lmao

Harsh lol

#196 Posted by sherman-tank1 (8148 posts) -

@mems_1224: according to some anything associated with native americans is racist so obviously something like the Braves is super offensive.

#197 Edited by The-Apostle (12190 posts) -

Ugh... Packers put Cobb on short-term IR and Van Rotten on IR. Then they promoted Myles White (who was impressive during preseason, waiting to see if he's better than Boykin) and Jake Stonebumer who can't seem to find the end zone when he's five yards out. Regular Sanchez there... >_>

#198 Posted by sherman-tank1 (8148 posts) -

Irsay is a d-bag.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9830976/john-fox-calls-jim-irsay-comments-peyton-manning-cheap-shot

#199 Posted by DaJuicyMan (3517 posts) -
@sherman-tank1 said:

Irsay is a d-bag.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9830976/john-fox-calls-jim-irsay-comments-peyton-manning-cheap-shot

hes right tho.

#200 Posted by GotFiveRings (426 posts) -

Irsay is a big meanie. Why would he say that about the best QB ever?