Official 2014 MLB Season Thread.

#101 Edited by Master_Live (13657 posts) -

@PSP107 said:

MLB executive wants to shorten games to 7 innings.

Which shows at least one MLB executive is an idiot.

#103 Posted by ManBearPuig (14 posts) -

Interested to see how Beckett pitches tonight, no Puig again for the Bums

#104 Edited by Boston_Boyy (3895 posts) -

@PSP107: And? NFL games have 11 minutes of action in roughly the same time period. We may see a few less pitching changes but I don't see shortening the game to 7 innings doing much of anything to increase the ratio of 'action' to 'inaction' significantly. I certainly don't think 15 minutes of 'action' in 140 minutes sounds a whole lot better than 18 in 180 minutes. If they want to increase that ratio they should look into limiting mound visits, batter time outs and maybe even instituting some sort of pitch clock.

#105 Posted by Master_Live (13657 posts) -
#106 Posted by PSP107 (11618 posts) -

@Master_Live: @Boston_Boyy:

Just to be clear, I'm not arguing for 7 innings.

I don't agree with the football mainly because there's a play clock. During the 40 seconds the offense has to start the next play, there is a lot of stuff going on like motioning players. Football has a flow.

#107 Posted by Master_Live (13657 posts) -

The "foreign" substance thing. We know one thing, he won't get away with that again going forward. Every opponent is going to be looking for that like a hawk and the Yanks won't let Pineda get disqualify because some stuff (that we don't know what it is and may or may not be legal) that he doesn't need.

#108 Posted by IMAHAPYHIPPO (2537 posts) -

The "foreign" substance thing. We know one thing, he won't get away with that again going forward. Every opponent is going to be looking for that like a hawk and the Yanks won't let Pineda get disqualify because some stuff (that we don't know what it is and may or may not be legal) that he doesn't need.

Foreign substances is a weird topic inside baseball. I remember Lester having that weird goo on his glove in the World Series, and all the Cardinals players were just like -- "Yeah... I mean, everybody puts stuff on their gloves. We don't care."

#109 Posted by Master_Live (13657 posts) -

Yeah, Pineda just won't be as obvious going forward.

#110 Edited by Puggy301 (160 posts) -

Hall of famer Gaylord Perry pitched over two decades in the majors, and he used to rub globs of vaseline on his zipper before every game because he knew the umpires would never (or be too embarrassed to) look there. Everyone and his mother knew Perry was doctoring the ball, but no one could ever catch him in the act. Maybe if Pineda is clever enough he could get away with it too. He just needs to place the pine tar in the right spot.

#111 Posted by PSP107 (11618 posts) -

@Puggy301 said:

Hall of famer Gaylord Perry pitched over two decades in the majors, and he used to rub globs of vaseline on his zipper before every game because he knew the umpires would never (or be too embarrassed to) look there. Everyone and his mother knew Perry was doctoring the ball, but no one could ever catch him in the act. Maybe if Pineda is clever enough he could get away with it too. He just needs to place the pine tar in the right spot.

You're promoting cheating?

#112 Posted by IMAHAPYHIPPO (2537 posts) -
@PSP107 said:

@Puggy301 said:

There's a difference between doctoring a ball for movement and doctoring a ball for grip, the latter of which is generally seen as a non-issue in the major leagues. When asked about an opposing pitcher doctoring a ball for better grip, teams generally respond with apathy. If the team being directly affected by these actions aren't concerned, I don't see why anybody else should be.

#113 Edited by Puggy301 (160 posts) -

@PSP107 said:

@Puggy301 said:

Nah. I'd never do anything as sleazy and lowbrow as that. I was merely promoting not getting caught while cheating.

#114 Posted by Ring_of_fire (15620 posts) -

Julio Teheran looking strong in the first month of the season, good sign for the Braves!

#116 Posted by Master_Live (13657 posts) -
#117 Posted by Boston_Boyy (3895 posts) -
#118 Posted by 36Ounces (2064 posts) -

Julio Teheran looking strong in the first month of the season, good sign for the Braves!

Yup. Braves lookin good so far but wtf is up with Heyward?

#119 Edited by Master_Live (13657 posts) -
#120 Posted by Ring_of_fire (15620 posts) -

@36Ounces said:

@Ring_of_fire said:

Yup. Braves lookin good so far but wtf is up with Heyward?

Hopefully it is just a slow start. He, like a lot of the Braves hitters, has been extremely streaky. Would be difficult for the Braves to win if everyone gets on a bad streak.

Hell, Dan Uggla is showing some signs of life. The ending to Monday's game was just perfect, Uggla hitting a grand slam to shut up the annoying Phillie fans.

#121 Posted by Master_Live (13657 posts) -

That homer doesn't change the fact that Uggla is a horrible player. .615 OPS, 63 OPS+ so far, -1.3WAR last season. BJ is even worst is such a thing is possible. I might give them until the All-Star break to see if they improve, but at some point you gotta face reality and cut bait.

#122 Posted by Ring_of_fire (15620 posts) -

That homer doesn't change the fact that Uggla is a horrible player. .615 OPS, 63 OPS+ so far, -1.3WAR last season. BJ is even worst is such a thing is possible. I might give them until the All-Star break to see if they improve, but at some point you gotta face reality and cut bait.

Now where did I say that Uggla wasn't a horrible player? All I said was he was showing some life (compared to last year), but that is not a hard thing to do.....

#123 Edited by Boston_Boyy (3895 posts) -

I love Giancarlo Stanton, can't wait to see what he does when he gets on a real team.

#124 Posted by yokofox33 (28993 posts) -

I love Giancarlo Stanton, can't wait to see what he does when he gets on a real team.

Marlins have talent, but it'll be gone in 2-3 years. Yelich, Fernandez, Salty, Ozuna, Eovaldi, Cishek are some nice players. Fernandez is amazing actually. If the bullpen and back end of the rotation wasn't so damn awful the Marlins could actually be pretty decent.

Mike Redmond is a horrible manager. He wanted to bunt with his hottest hitter to open up first base so the Mariners could intentionally walk Stanton and face Garret Jones. The one hitter on the team who hasn't been hitting. Brilliant!!!!! Only reason it "worked" is because of some dumb transfer rule and everybody was safe. And he consistently uses CARLOS MARMOL in the 7th/8th innings.

#125 Posted by LostProphetFLCL (16984 posts) -

LMAO wow fun 1st inning against The Angels. The Angels commit 3 ERRORS on a single play turning a simple walk, into Kinsler running home from 1st base and Cabrera getting to second base JUST OFF A WALK!

#126 Edited by LostProphetFLCL (16984 posts) -

Wow, White Sox already having to change pitchers in the 3rd inning. Tigers hitters are just all over Leesman tonight. Gotten 5 runs and have gone through our entire batting order this inning!

#127 Posted by yokofox33 (28993 posts) -

Jose Fernandez is a man.

#128 Posted by Master_Live (13657 posts) -
#129 Posted by IMAHAPYHIPPO (2537 posts) -

Congrats to Albert on number 500 tonight.

#130 Posted by Boston_Boyy (3895 posts) -

lol at Michael Pineda. His cheating was even more obvious than last time tonight and that's saying something. Only question is how many games he'll be suspended. I'm going to guess 10 or 15.

#131 Edited by PSP107 (11618 posts) -
#132 Posted by Braun_Roid_Rage (704 posts) -

Yankees... A tradition of cheating.

#133 Posted by Master_Live (13657 posts) -

Everyone cheats, Rangers had Nelson Cruz last year for example.

#134 Posted by Braun_Roid_Rage (704 posts) -

Everyone cheats, Rangers had Nelson Cruz last year for example.

A Roid, Clemens, Giambi & Pineda for example.

#135 Posted by yokofox33 (28993 posts) -

Jose Fernandez is a beautiful man.

#136 Posted by PSP107 (11618 posts) -

Now that the Bulls are out and not being a hockey guy(go Blackhawks), its a good thing the WhiteSox aren't bad so far.

#137 Posted by LostProphetFLCL (16984 posts) -

The Tigers go and sweep the Royals for the second time this year which is just hilarious.

In general they have been on a hell of a roll as of late! Really hope they keep up the pace.

#138 Posted by yokofox33 (28993 posts) -

And being a Marlins just continues getting worse and worse...

Poor Jose Fernandez.

#139 Posted by LostProphetFLCL (16984 posts) -

And being a Marlins just continues getting worse and worse...

Poor Jose Fernandez.

Meanwhile, being a Tiger fan is pretty sweet right now! God what an end to the game tonight!

#140 Posted by roboccs (6859 posts) -

The Tigers are very well rounded this year and can beat you in a bunch of different ways. Brad Ausmus has them playing some small ball and they are aggressive on the base paths. They already have more stolen bases than they did all of last year.

The biggest thing is the starting pitching, even with Sanchez hurt, Porcello, Smyly, and Ray are stepping up.

The bullpen isn't perfect but they've done pretty well after a horrible start.

Great time to be a Tiger fan!

#141 Edited by LostProphetFLCL (16984 posts) -

@roboccs said:

The Tigers are very well rounded this year and can beat you in a bunch of different ways. Brad Ausmus has them playing some small ball and they are aggressive on the base paths. They already have more stolen bases than they did all of last year.

The biggest thing is the starting pitching, even with Sanchez hurt, Porcello, Smyly, and Ray are stepping up.

The bullpen isn't perfect but they've done pretty well after a horrible start.

Great time to be a Tiger fan!

That it is!
BTW I feel like Ray should become a permanent starter. Give him Smyly's spot and move Smyly to the bullpen.

Ray was just so insanely impressive in his two starts that I really want to see what else he can do.

Oh and they still need to fire Phil Coke...

#142 Posted by LostProphetFLCL (16984 posts) -

Jesus Christ this final Tigers game against the Indians is the craziest roller coaster I have ever experienced...

Going to the bottom of the 13th now...

#143 Posted by 36Ounces (2064 posts) -
#144 Posted by GamerForca (7070 posts) -

@36Ounces: I'm tired of seeing the Georgia teams always stuck in the same regionals. Kennesaw and Southern get a really tough draw in Tallahassee, but FSU better take the Eagles seriously. Same with Bama; if they don't throw their ace against KSU, they'll be sent packing. KSU has won 23 of 24 coming in, and have some of the best players in the country.

Also, I haven't said so yet this season, so now is a good time: Fredi Gonzalez is a f*cking idiot. Why do we still have to put up with this moron? (that's all for now)

#145 Posted by 36Ounces (2064 posts) -

@36Ounces: I'm tired of seeing the Georgia teams always stuck in the same regionals. Kennesaw and Southern get a really tough draw in Tallahassee, but FSU better take the Eagles seriously. Same with Bama; if they don't throw their ace against KSU, they'll be sent packing. KSU has won 23 of 24 coming in, and have some of the best players in the country.

Also, I haven't said so yet this season, so now is a good time: Fredi Gonzalez is a f*cking idiot. Why do we still have to put up with this moron? (that's all for now)

I feel ya on the Georgia teams. Was nice seeing KSU in there, just sucks they're in the Tally regional. I never know what to expect with FSU tho. Seen them choke so many damn times in the postseason. But should be some great regional an super regionals this year for sure. There's not really a stand out favorite this year.

Yea the Braves blowin that big lead today was pathetic. FIREFREDI.com

#146 Posted by GamerForca (7070 posts) -

I like how the ESPN commentators are pointing out how stupid Fredi is.

#147 Posted by LostProphetFLCL (16984 posts) -

So Fielder is out for the season. I bet the Rangers are kicking themselves for that trade about now. Kinsler has been an amazing fit for Detroit and I do believe has been hitting better than Fielder. Now add that Fielder is out with injury, and they really got the short end of the stick...

#148 Edited by GamerForca (7070 posts) -

@36Ounces said:

I feel ya on the Georgia teams. Was nice seeing KSU in there, just sucks they're in the Tally regional. I never know what to expect with FSU tho. Seen them choke so many damn times in the postseason. But should be some great regional an super regionals this year for sure. There's not really a stand out favorite this year.

Yea the Braves blowin that big lead today was pathetic. FIREFREDI.com

Kennesaw vs Southern in the winner's bracket. No surprise. I knew FSU was in trouble when I saw that they were saving their ace. GSU isn't a team to rest your ace on. Big mistake. I think FSU will knock out Bama, but I'm thinking KSU is going to advance to the Supers.

#149 Edited by Boston_Boyy (3895 posts) -

Great start out of De La Rosa tonight, he looked like the player we were supposed to have been getting in that Dodgers trade.

#150 Edited by 36Ounces (2064 posts) -

@GamerForca: Another year, another choke job for the Noles. Goin 2 an out was pretty fuckin pathetic for what was supposed to be a top 10 team that hosted. They looked really awful those two games. Will def be rooting for KSU the rest of the way. Louisville is tough.

edit : at least the pos gators lost too haha.