NFL looking at backup plans for the 2014 Super Bowl

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/8940414/nfl-mulling-super-bowl-xlviii-backup-plans-report

This sucks... Why can't they just play with the elements? Are they too chicken-**** or what?

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

Would you rather them not be prepared in case something happens?

If a blizzard like the one that just hit the northeast would hit on Super Bowl weekend then it has nothing to do with being chickensh*t. Nobody would be able to leave their homes or hotels.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

This is what a major road in Chicago looked like one day a couple years ago. It's actually the road right next to Soldier Field. People had to abandon their cars in the middle of the road because the conditions were impossible to drive in.

If a snowstorm like this hits NY, how do you expect them to hold a Super Bowl exactly?

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 The-Apostle
I just want to see a snow bowl. >_>
Avatar image for No_Hablo_Ingles
No_Hablo_Ingles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 No_Hablo_Ingles
Member since 2009 • 8448 Posts
I just want to see a snow bowl. >_>The-Apostle
go watch old game footage then. I don't want a superbowl which outcome is determined by terrible weather (I also prefer the other playoff games not to be determined by weather, but that's asking for too much).
sfkm2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 sfkm2
Member since 2005 • 67813 Posts
There's a video on youtube showing top ugly weather during NFL games. The one I didn't get was the massive fog for Bears vs Eagles 1988. You couldn't see anything. It good they are preparing for something like that.
PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18797 Posts
[QUOTE="The-Apostle"]I just want to see a snow bowl. >_>No_Hablo_Ingles
go watch old game footage then. I don't want a superbowl which outcome is determined by terrible weather (I also prefer the other playoff games not to be determined by weather, but that's asking for too much).

The Bears vs Colts Superbowl was bad during the rain.
monkeytoes61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#8 monkeytoes61
Member since 2005 • 8399 Posts

I don't understand why a snow Super Bowl would be bad. Think about it this way. We say that it wouldn't be fair to pass happy teams. But couldn't you flip the script and say that Super Bowls that are in perfect weather/domes aren't fair to defensive, ball control teams? You could make a very reasonable argument that nice weather can decide a game just as much as bad weather.

And also, people must not remember their NFL history. The 1967 NFL Championship, also known as the Ice Bowl, was a dope game. It was an absolute classic, and is still remembered today. Bad weather isn't a bad thing and shouldn't be shunned just because it's the Super Bowl.

36Ounces

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 36Ounces
Member since 2006 • 2065 Posts

This is what a major road in Chicago looked like one day a couple years ago. It's actually the road right next to Soldier Field. People had to abandon their cars in the middle of the road because the conditions were impossible to drive in.

If a snowstorm like this hits NY, how do you expect them to hold a Super Bowl exactly?

JML897

If it's a major storm like that then yea I agree. But unless it's major, I see no problem with playin the game with a lil snow or whatever.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts
It's fine as long as the snow isn't excessive. Expecting a multi billion dollar company to not want to make sure it makes the multi-billion dollars it makes on Superbowl Sunday(I might be using hyperbole here) is dumb on your part. Too much snow makes getting people into seats for the Superbowl difficult. I sincerely doubt some snow or good downfall is a major issue. I want to see the game played in the elements(there is something beautiful about football game when it's just nasty). But you can't have a game where no one can show up either. I mean I would personally like something like what the Raiders and Pats played in during the 01 playoffs, but my guess is that for the Superbowl they would like something a little calmer than that to tolerate snow.
Put_in_Kitna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Put_in_Kitna
Member since 2009 • 2765 Posts

The way the weather is these days, don't see how it wouldn't be a problem. Can you imagine if the Superbowl was delayed for a few days/weeks? World would go crazy. 

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 The-Apostle
It's fine as long as the snow isn't excessive. Expecting a multi billion dollar company to not want to make sure it makes the multi-billion dollars it makes on Superbowl Sunday(I might be using hyperbole here) is dumb on your part. Too much snow makes getting people into seats for the Superbowl difficult. I sincerely doubt some snow or good downfall is a major issue. I want to see the game played in the elements(there is something beautiful about football game when it's just nasty). But you can't have a game where no one can show up either. I mean I would personally like something like what the Raiders and Pats played in during the 01 playoffs, but my guess is that for the Superbowl they would like something a little calmer than that to tolerate snow. jg4xchamp
Yeah... As long as it's not over the top (IE: The picture of that blizzard in Chicago) it would be cool to watch.
Put_in_Kitna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Put_in_Kitna

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]It's fine as long as the snow isn't excessive. Expecting a multi billion dollar company to not want to make sure it makes the multi-billion dollars it makes on Superbowl Sunday(I might be using hyperbole here) is dumb on your part. Too much snow makes getting people into seats for the Superbowl difficult. I sincerely doubt some snow or good downfall is a major issue. I want to see the game played in the elements(there is something beautiful about football game when it's just nasty). But you can't have a game where no one can show up either. I mean I would personally like something like what the Raiders and Pats played in during the 01 playoffs, but my guess is that for the Superbowl they would like something a little calmer than that to tolerate snow. The-Apostle
Yeah... As long as it's not over the top (IE: The picture of that blizzard in Chicago) it would be cool to watch.

How can you guarantee that tho? 

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jg4xchamp

[QUOTE="The-Apostle"][QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]It's fine as long as the snow isn't excessive. Expecting a multi billion dollar company to not want to make sure it makes the multi-billion dollars it makes on Superbowl Sunday(I might be using hyperbole here) is dumb on your part. Too much snow makes getting people into seats for the Superbowl difficult. I sincerely doubt some snow or good downfall is a major issue. I want to see the game played in the elements(there is something beautiful about football game when it's just nasty). But you can't have a game where no one can show up either. I mean I would personally like something like what the Raiders and Pats played in during the 01 playoffs, but my guess is that for the Superbowl they would like something a little calmer than that to tolerate snow. Put_in_Kitna

How can you guarantee that tho? 

Exactly, hence why they want to be prepared. They had issues in Dallas with the traffics and getting people into seats because of how spread out that city is, they had a blackout this year. That's 2 noteworthy issues in 3 superbowls, and I'm gonna assume from now on the NFL is gonna go overboard on making sure everything is wonderful.
Put_in_Kitna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Put_in_Kitna

Ahh f*** it. Lets just play the Superbowl in one of those nice air condition portable domes the Cowboys have practice in sometimes. No crowd, no cameras. We can just get updated by twitter. Everyone loves twitter right? 

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
Start shoveling people in at 7AM, try to play the game at around 12PM so you can delay it if need be
Avatar image for No_Hablo_Ingles
No_Hablo_Ingles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 No_Hablo_Ingles
Member since 2009 • 8448 Posts
Start shoveling people in at 7AM, try to play the game at around 12PM so you can delay it if need beX360PS3AMD05
Superbowl at noon?
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jg4xchamp
Start shoveling people in at 7AM, try to play the game at around 12PM so you can delay it if need beX360PS3AMD05
And pass up all that money for primetime? Are you on drugs?
monkeytoes61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 monkeytoes61

[QUOTE="X360PS3AMD05"]Start shoveling people in at 7AM, try to play the game at around 12PM so you can delay it if need bejg4xchamp

That's exactly why I like watching other football leagues. The NFL is all about money, even when their cash grabbing actions hurt the integrity of the game. In the CFL and AFL, sure, they're trying to make money too. But their actions to make a profit never comes at the expense of the game.

And on a side note, the on field play definitely isn't as bad as people think. The CFL has a lot of NFL caliber talent.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jg4xchamp

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"][QUOTE="X360PS3AMD05"]Start shoveling people in at 7AM, try to play the game at around 12PM so you can delay it if need bemonkeytoes61

That's exactly why I like watching other football leagues. The NFL is all about money, even when their cash grabbing actions hurt the integrity of the game. In the CFL and AFL, sure, they're trying to make money too. But their actions to make a profit never comes at the expense of the game.

And on a side note, the on field play definitely isn't as bad as people think. The CFL has a lot of NFL caliber talent.

lol the other 2 don't come close to the money the NFL makes or passes up the type of money the NFL would pass up. Ridiculous comparison.

Either way moving the Superbowl to noon would be immensely stupid for the NFL, and the viewing audience in general. It's the Superbowl it should be primetime.

monkeytoes61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 monkeytoes61
I never said the other two come close to the NFL when it comes to money...