NBA 2013 Season thread

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1302 Posted by -Halftime- (10004 posts) -

[QUOTE="-Halftime-"][QUOTE="Master_Live"] Actually yes, no need to see a team get beaten 4 times when 3 would suffice. Plus a 5 game series would be more conducive to upsets. Jagged3dge

The better team not winning is terrible for all sports.

Even football?  That game is built on upsets/random occurences

That's part of the reason I don't like football that much, and it's the reason I don't like the one game playoffs in baseball. Too much chance for something random to happen with that small of a sample size.
#1303 Posted by Jagged3dge (3895 posts) -

Makes sense, I remember you saying that was your gripe with football.

I got tickets for the Heat scrimmage this Sunday, I saw they were free and diligently waited for the opening window :cool:

Hopefully I get to see a lot of Beasley and Oden in the lineups

#1304 Posted by No_Hablo_Ingles (8372 posts) -
[QUOTE="Master_Live"][QUOTE="No_Hablo_Ingles"][QUOTE="PSP107"] While their at it, I think they should go back to a best out of 5 in the 1st round.

No.

Actually yes, no need to see a team get beaten 4 times when 3 would suffice. Plus a 5 game series would be more conducive to upsets.

That's why they changed it from 5 to 7...
#1305 Posted by PSP107 (11893 posts) -
[QUOTE="Jagged3dge"]

Makes sense, I remember you saying that was your gripe with football.

I got tickets for the Heat scrimmage this Sunday, I saw they were free and diligently waited for the opening window :cool:

Hopefully I get to see a lot of Beasley and Oden in the lineups

Fill us in on how Beasley and Oden look.
#1306 Posted by PSP107 (11893 posts) -
[QUOTE="Master_Live"][QUOTE="No_Hablo_Ingles"] No. No_Hablo_Ingles
Actually yes, no need to see a team get beaten 4 times when 3 would suffice. Plus a 5 game series would be more conducive to upsets.

Upsets in the NBA rarely happens. The last one was probably Warriors over Dallas in 2007.
#1307 Posted by -Halftime- (10004 posts) -
[QUOTE="No_Hablo_Ingles"][QUOTE="Master_Live"] Actually yes, no need to see a team get beaten 4 times when 3 would suffice. Plus a 5 game series would be more conducive to upsets. PSP107

Upsets in the NBA rarely happens. The last one was probably Warriors over Dallas in 2007.

Upsets happen a lot. Just not in the first round. Orlando against Cleveland in 2009, Orlando against Boston in 2009, Boston against Cleveland in 2010, Memphis against San Antonio in 2011, Dallas against Miami in 2011, Detroit over the Lakers in 2004. Upsets don't happen in the first round because traditionally an 8 seed is 18 or so wins behind a 1 seed. In a 7 game series, the team that won 20 more games is going to win that matchup. Put that in contrast with football where the best teams win 12 or 13 and the wild cards win 10 or so games, it's not as big of a jump, plus it's do or die, so you see more upsets.
#1308 Posted by PSP107 (11893 posts) -
[QUOTE="PSP107"][QUOTE="No_Hablo_Ingles"] That's why they changed it from 5 to 7...-Halftime-

Upsets happen a lot. Just not in the first round. Orlando against Cleveland in 2009, Orlando against Boston in 2009, Boston against Cleveland in 2010, Memphis against San Antonio in 2011, Dallas against Miami in 2011, Detroit over the Lakers in 2004. Upsets don't happen in the first round because traditionally an 8 seed is 18 or so wins behind a 1 seed. In a 7 game series, the team that won 20 more games is going to win that matchup. Put that in contrast with football where the best teams win 12 or 13 and the wild cards win 10 or so games, it's not as big of a jump, plus it's do or die, so you see more upsets.

Besides the Grizzlies over Spurs, I wouldnt call the others upsets as they were legit teams. The Magic were 59-23(3rd in the conference.) Dallas was 57-25(3rd in tougher conference) And the Pistons were 54-28(3rd in the conference).
#1309 Posted by No_Hablo_Ingles (8372 posts) -
End results are irrelevant- fact of the matter is any team that much better than the other team won't need more than 5 games while any compelling series could go 6-7. Example last year Denver vs Golden State and Rockets vs Thunder. Rockets lost the first 3 games (game two and 3 were extremely close, one having a lucky shoot by Durant the other had Perkins holding Parsons preventing him from closing out on a 3) and the Rockets won game 4 and 5. Denver vs Golden state was an amazing series and was 3 seed vs 6 seed. Upsets happen occasionally in the NBA, it's just that when it happens people forget who the favorites were at the start of the series. At the start of the series most people predicted Den.
#1310 Posted by Master_Live (14406 posts) -
[QUOTE="PSP107"][QUOTE="No_Hablo_Ingles"] That's why they changed it from 5 to 7...-Halftime-

Upsets happen a lot. Just not in the first round.

We have discussed this before. We are talking about a league in which OVER HALF THE TEAMS MAKE THE PLAYOFFS. It is ridiculous. If we are just gonna see higher seeds steam roll lower seeds all the time then why have the whole 1st round in the first place? But we know the answer, money. And that is that.
#1311 Posted by PSP107 (11893 posts) -
End results are irrelevant- fact of the matter is any team that much better than the other team won't need more than 5 games while any compelling series could go 6-7. Example last year Denver vs Golden State and Rockets vs Thunder. Rockets lost the first 3 games (game two and 3 were extremely close, one having a lucky shoot by Durant the other had Perkins holding Parsons preventing him from closing out on a 3) and the Rockets won game 4 and 5. Denver vs Golden state was an amazing series and was 3 seed vs 6 seed. Upsets happen occasionally in the NBA, it's just that when it happens people forget who the favorites were at the start of the series. At the start of the series most people predicted Den.No_Hablo_Ingles
The West is too strong of a conference and it got stronger this year. All those team you listed could go either way. Especially when your boy took out Westbrook. The West was more open this past year.
#1312 Posted by No_Hablo_Ingles (8372 posts) -
I'm actually a fan of 16 teams making it, just regardless of conference. No reason a below .500 team should make the playoffs in the east when there are 3-4 teams in the West well above .500 miss it.
#1313 Posted by -Halftime- (10004 posts) -
[QUOTE="Master_Live"][QUOTE="-Halftime-"][QUOTE="PSP107"] Upsets in the NBA rarely happens. The last one was probably Warriors over Dallas in 2007.

Upsets happen a lot. Just not in the first round.

We have discussed this before. We are talking about a league in which OVER HALF THE TEAMS MAKE THE PLAYOFFS. It is ridiculous. If we are just gonna see higher seeds steam roll lower seeds all the time then why have the whole 1st round in the first place? But we know the answer, money. And that is that.

It is definitely all about money. I like 16 teams making the playoffs, it's just a shame when bottom feeders in the East can make it in with 38 wins while teams that win 47 to 50 have to struggle just to make it in the West. Maybe if they made just the top 16 make it regardless of conference but I don't think the NBA would do that, knowing the rivalries of some of the east vs west teams that bring huge ratings for the Finals.
#1314 Posted by Master_Live (14406 posts) -
I want top 4 per conference, what are now the 4-5-6-7 seeds would battle for that fourth spot intensively. Apart from of course making getting into the playoffs mean something. Analyst and fans openly say that they basically don't pay real attention until the second round, then lets start at the 2nd round.
#1315 Posted by PSP107 (11893 posts) -
[QUOTE="Master_Live"][QUOTE="-Halftime-"] Upsets happen a lot. Just not in the first round. -Halftime-

Maybe if they made just the top 16 make it regardless of conference but I don't think the NBA would do that, knowing the rivalries of some of the east vs west teams that bring huge ratings for the Finals.

I think they want do that because of traveling issues.
#1316 Posted by PSP107 (11893 posts) -
I want top 4 per conference, what are now the 4-5-6-7 seeds would battle for that fourth spot intensively. Apart from of course making getting into the playoffs mean something. Analyst and fans openly say that they basically don't pay real attention until the second round, then lets start at the 2nd round. Master_Live
I want go that far only 8 teams. and besides, in the NBA, the best teams in the regular season usally wins anyway.
#1317 Posted by Jagged3dge (3895 posts) -

Only 4 teams making the playoffs per conference wouldn't end well.  Basically you would have a lot more teams forced to tank in order to make it with the elites.  

16 teams making the playoffs isn't a bad system.  Out west its a nice battle.  But the East suffers from being too top heavy.  The top 5 teams could easily do battle with the top 5 in the West.  After that its just a huge gap; and there's nobody to really blame except for the incompetent east owners.  This year looks a bit more competitive from 6-8 if certain teams can manage to pane out for the 82 games.  Detroit, Wizards, Raptors, Cavs, Hawks, maybe even the Celtics; they all have a chance to bring something barring injuries.

#1319 Posted by PSP107 (11893 posts) -

This year looks a bit more competitive from 6-8 if certain teams can manage to pane out for the 82 games.  Detroit, Wizards, Raptors, Cavs, Hawks, maybe even the Celtics; they all have a chance to bring something barring injuries.

Jagged3dge
If Bynum stays healthy, Cavs could make some noise.
#1320 Posted by Jagged3dge (3895 posts) -

[QUOTE="Jagged3dge"]

This year looks a bit more competitive from 6-8 if certain teams can manage to pane out for the 82 games.  Detroit, Wizards, Raptors, Cavs, Hawks, maybe even the Celtics; they all have a chance to bring something barring injuries.

PSP107

If Bynum stays healthy, Cavs could make some noise.

lol, huge "if" right there.  I think even Oden may see the court before Bynum does.  But even without Bynum they have a solid team.  The addition of Jarret Jack will be big for them I feel.

I think Wizards will be better than people expect.  When Wall came back the Wizards finished the season strong.  And he just got a max-extension and feels like he has something to prove.  I heard Nene is already due to miss games which sucks, but Wall and Beal alone can win you some games.  That young backcourt could be lethal if they develop some chemistry.  I like what I saw from Beal last season. Glad I had the pleasure of seeing him put the team on his back when Wall was out, he hit a very nice game-winner against OKC.

With Detroit who knows.  A lot of chuckers on that team, but the front court is still probably the most athletic in the league.  Can't doubt that.  Billups leadership may help with the boneheads, like I said who knows.  Either way they got some talent for sure.

#1321 Posted by PSP107 (11893 posts) -
Jordan said in his prime he could beat James but Kobe might give him a go?
#1322 Posted by Oleg_Huzwog (21885 posts) -

Jordan said in his prime he could beat James but Kobe might give him a go?PSP107

Jordan has also proven himself to be one of the all-time worst assessors of talent.

#1323 Posted by Master_Live (14406 posts) -
Jordan should go read some spreadsheets or scouting reports.
#1324 Posted by Jagged3dge (3895 posts) -

Why do people always leave out the part where he said Kobe would probably give him some trouble - simply because he stole most of his moves.  So he was giving a backhanded compliment.  Most likely implying that his moves are so great that even he would be challenged trying to stop them.

Kobe admitted to modeling his game after Jordan, so not a real diss.  

It's funny how close their offensive games are though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5tagtU4AV8&list=WL5G7Y_NeUgcGUWLGEgdeMMOf-M1zRmdmz

#1325 Posted by No_Hablo_Ingles (8372 posts) -
Dwight Howard's struggles at the free throw line are well known. Turns out the problem may be his eyes, and the fact that he's using them. Howard challenged Houston Rockets teammate and 84.2 percent free-throw shooter James Harden to a free-throw contest where both had to shoot 10 with their eyes closed. Howard came out on top by sinking 8 of 10 while blind, according to a report from the Houston Chronicle. "I might have to start doing my eyes closed 8-10 in games," Howard said according to the Chronicle. "I have a good percentage. I am 8 for 10 with my eyes closed." For his career, Howard has shot 49.2 percent from the free throw line but has said he has hopes of shooting 75-80 percent from the charity stripe this year. Howard, who signed with Houston as a free agent this offseason, said he's actually been working on his foul-line foibles and has practiced shooting with his eyes closed. "There is a guy who has the world record for most free throws made and he told me to do that drill and its good for trusting your form," Howard said according to the Chronicle. "You can't see nothing, so you have to trust your form and trust that it goes in."
#1326 Posted by Master_Live (14406 posts) -
Let him shoot 100 and then tell me the percentage.
#1327 Posted by No_Hablo_Ingles (8372 posts) -
that was more of a joke. I think the story is Howard is a pretty good FT shooter in practice but it falls off a cliff in-game
#1328 Posted by Bikouchu35 (7384 posts) -

Michael_Jordan_Eyes_Closed_Free_Throw.pn

Lets see if he can do it like he does.

#1329 Posted by CWEBB04z (4564 posts) -
Chris Webber could beat MJ, Kobe, and Lebron 1 on 3.
#1330 Posted by Bobbles (11678 posts) -
Chris Webber could beat MJ, Kobe, and Lebron 1 on 3. CWEBB04z
Timeout.
#1331 Posted by Jagged3dge (3895 posts) -

Chris Webber could beat MJ, Kobe, and Lebron 1 on 3. CWEBB04z

You would suck CWeb dry if the oppertunity presented itself

#1332 Posted by ice144 (3350 posts) -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrlQwKTrsSo&feature=youtu.be No hablo would like this. I'm not even close to a rockets fan yet found this entertaining, man i cant wait for the season to start. i'm headin to the hawks' open practice on saturday
#1333 Posted by Jagged3dge (3895 posts) -

Talk about a great find.

Was that Aaron Brooks?

#1334 Posted by CWEBB04z (4564 posts) -

[QUOTE="CWEBB04z"]Chris Webber could beat MJ, Kobe, and Lebron 1 on 3. Jagged3dge

You would suck CWeb dry if the oppertunity presented itself

lol
#1335 Posted by CWEBB04z (4564 posts) -
[QUOTE="CWEBB04z"]Chris Webber could beat MJ, Kobe, and Lebron 1 on 3. Bobbles
Timeout.

Jackie Smith
#1336 Posted by monkeytoes61 (8351 posts) -
[QUOTE="Bobbles"][QUOTE="CWEBB04z"]Chris Webber could beat MJ, Kobe, and Lebron 1 on 3. CWEBB04z
Timeout.

Jackie Smith

Bless his heart, he's got to be the sickest man in America
#1337 Posted by Bobbles (11678 posts) -
[QUOTE="Bobbles"][QUOTE="CWEBB04z"]Chris Webber could beat MJ, Kobe, and Lebron 1 on 3. CWEBB04z
Timeout.

Jackie Smith

0, the number of rings your shit basketball and football teams have combined.
#1338 Posted by Jagged3dge (3895 posts) -

[QUOTE="CWEBB04z"][QUOTE="Bobbles"] Timeout.Bobbles
Jackie Smith

0, the number of rings your shit basketball and football teams have combined.

tumblr_mtnpiiZA0R1qdlh1io1_400.gif 

#1339 Posted by yokofox33 (29516 posts) -

The funniest part of that gif is the little jig at the end :lol:

#1340 Posted by -Renegade (8340 posts) -
[QUOTE="No_Hablo_Ingles"]Dwight Howard's struggles at the free throw line are well known. Turns out the problem may be his eyes, and the fact that he's using them. Howard challenged Houston Rockets teammate and 84.2 percent free-throw shooter James Harden to a free-throw contest where both had to shoot 10 with their eyes closed. Howard came out on top by sinking 8 of 10 while blind, according to a report from the Houston Chronicle. "I might have to start doing my eyes closed 8-10 in games," Howard said according to the Chronicle. "I have a good percentage. I am 8 for 10 with my eyes closed." For his career, Howard has shot 49.2 percent from the free throw line but has said he has hopes of shooting 75-80 percent from the charity stripe this year. Howard, who signed with Houston as a free agent this offseason, said he's actually been working on his foul-line foibles and has practiced shooting with his eyes closed. "There is a guy who has the world record for most free throws made and he told me to do that drill and its good for trusting your form," Howard said according to the Chronicle. "You can't see nothing, so you have to trust your form and trust that it goes in."

LOL that would be funny if all his shots only went in while blinded. how would you play defense on someone like that .
#1341 Posted by No_Hablo_Ingles (8372 posts) -

Talk about a great find.

Was that Aaron Brooks?

Jagged3dge
Aaron Brooks is on the Team, yes... Or were you talking something specific in the video?
#1342 Posted by Jagged3dge (3895 posts) -

[QUOTE="Jagged3dge"]

Talk about a great find.

Was that Aaron Brooks?

No_Hablo_Ingles

Aaron Brooks is on the Team, yes... Or were you talking something specific in the video?

Nah I meant just the vid, haven't seen the guy in years.  Thought he was out the league.

#1343 Posted by PSP107 (11893 posts) -
Rose looked okay in his return.
#1345 Posted by No_Hablo_Ingles (8372 posts) -
yeah... That tends to happen when you play for the Suns and the Kings... He was picked up by the Rockets last year, and Eason the team during the playoffs. I liked what I saw from the Rockets yesterday, Omar needs to get back from injury though. Harden did a good job moving off ball when Howard was in the post
#1346 Posted by No_Hablo_Ingles (8372 posts) -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmDMwizRy8w This was embarrass
#1347 Posted by PSP107 (11893 posts) -
[QUOTE="No_Hablo_Ingles"] I liked what I saw from the Rockets yesterday, Omar needs to get back from injury though. Harden did a good job moving off ball when Howard was in the post

I know it just one game into the preseason, but what you didn't like from the Rockets? From the Bulls, I saw a lot of turnovers. Dunleavy should play better. Snell has to improve his shooting.
#1348 Posted by No_Hablo_Ingles (8372 posts) -
We still turn over the ball a lot. Quite a few passes in the post to Dwight weren't very good, forcing him to lose his position to get the ball.
#1349 Posted by -Halftime- (10004 posts) -
I love basketball, and writing about it is my career, but I just can't watch preseason in any sport. So boring and sloppy
#1350 Posted by Jagged3dge (3895 posts) -

I love basketball, and writing about it is my career, but I just can't watch preseason in any sport. So boring and sloppy-Halftime-

I usually only watch it because at this point I'm dying to see any NBA ball.  But like 3 games in I'm ready for the regular season to just start up.