MLB Offseason: Justin Upton traded to Braves for Prado, Delgado and prospects.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

New thread for offseason moves.

Peavy stays with Sox

Could be worse.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

I'm torn. I kinda think we need some left-handed production in the batting order more than we need Peavy with Sale and a young rotation coming on. Still, AJ is a longshot to resign with us anyways, and Peavy will be a veteran presence in the bullpen. Very worried about our left-handed bats, though.

Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 5

#3 Namgis
Member since 2009 • 3592 Posts

Yanks pick up $15 mil options on Cano and Granderson.

-

Hope Swisher takes what they offer him, he's a nice fit in the outfield. Regardless his ineptitude this post season.

-

Going to be interesting this offseason. Hamilton and Greinke on the market. Plus many others.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Master_Live
I think Swisher is out. Maybe Ichiro is back? But is Gardner the answer at left?
Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 5

#5 Namgis
Member since 2009 • 3592 Posts

I think Swisher is out. Maybe Ichiro is back? But is Gardner the answer at left? Master_Live

I think they'll keep him at the right price. He's put up some nice stats the past few years and being a switch hitter, he would keep their line up varied.

I also think Ichiro will stay but again will have to take a pay cut. They have been put on notice that the payroll is to be under $189 by '14. I think Gardner is a nice piece to have, his speed is selling point. If his average can be around the .270 mark, I think they'd take that. He's not the long term solution in left, but he'll do until they find someone for the role.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18791 Posts
$29 million for 2 years is too much for a injury prone pitcher.
JohnBean42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 JohnBean42
Member since 2008 • 2810 Posts

Angels want to trade Haren and/or Santana. Probably by the end of today before their options kick in. If the price isn't too steep, I'd love Haren. Really, I'd like either even though they both had rough years last year. Maybe that brings down the price, and their huge options. Would also think KC, SD and maybe Baltimore as options for one of them

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Master_Live
Santana should be out, but Haren wouldn't be bad at the right price. Wouldn't mind the Yanks placing a call, maybe a one year deal to prove himself.
Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Master_Live

Santana to Royals

Ervin is not worth 13 mill period. But Royals need pitching and Santana is about average with some upside.

JohnBean42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 JohnBean42

Santana to Royals

Ervin is not worth 13 mill period. But Royals need pitching and Santana is about average with some upside.

Master_Live
I agree. This is the kind of move they need to make...no like Sanchez last year, that was a mess. And they gave up a AAA reliever, so next to nothing. If he rebounds, could be very good for them. And they say they aren't done. They could make some interesting moves.
Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Oleg_Huzwog
Member since 2007 • 21885 Posts

Santana to Royals

Master_Live

Weak negotiating by the Royals. They should've demanded more cash from the Angels in the trade. They're reportedly getting $1 million. That just so happens to be what it would've cost the Angels to buy out Santana's contract and let him walk... which is exactly what they were planning to do if a trade couldn't be worked out. The Angels already wrote off that $1 million. In effect, they received a reliever from the Royals for free.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Master_Live

Cubs to Haren CALLED OFF

Ortiz back to the Sox

McGwire to leave Cardinals for Dodgers?

Ogando to start for the Rangers.

Boston_Boyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Boston_Boyy
Member since 2008 • 4103 Posts

The Rangers have more or less given up on Josh Hamilton1-year $13M deal, needless to say someone's going to offer him something better.

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
WTH is going on in Disneyland? Getting rid of their pitchers? What if they don't sign Greinke? I didn't even notice the Posey HR hit some guy in the head http://www.mlbgifs.com/buster-poseys-homer-was-big-but-the-best-part-was-the-tigers-fan-taking-it-off-the-head/ Fielder's postseason in one pitch http://www.mlbgifs.com/prince-fielders-postseason-to-date-in-one-pitch/ Ryan Theriot is watching you as he pee!! http://www.mlbgifs.com/ryan-theriot-is-watching-you-while-he-pees/ Where did Romo get these Douchey shirts? *facepalm* http://www.gannett-cdn.com/media/USATODAY/USATODAY/2012/10/31/2012-10-31-parade20-4_3_rx512_c680x510.jpg?0f5c31de35bf4ef88a50c2e35ee3bc4da4bf3083http://i.imgur.com/ct6fj.jpg
JohnBean42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JohnBean42

[QUOTE="Boston_Boyy"]

The Rangers have more or less given up on Josh Hamilton1-year $13M deal, needless to say someone's going to offer him something better.

white_sox

Teams offer qualifying offers to ensure they get a draft pick if they sign with another team. A lot of guys will get offered the same 1 year/13.3 M deal. I doubt they have had final discussions yet.

I agree, I don't think they've had any real discussions. ButI don't think they bring him back.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Boston_Boyy

He's a drug addict that's unable to carry his team.

His addictions have cost them season after season.

They're better off reloading.

Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Oleg_Huzwog

BJ Upton strikes out more than once per game, walks maybe once per week, hasn't hit above .250 since the Bush administration, and plays a position where we already have a log-jam of young talent.

But he also gets lots of stolen bases and has hit a few homeruns thanks to being in a hitter-friendly park.

In other words, I fully expect the Mariners to offer him a 5 year deal.

Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Oleg_Huzwog

Dodgers are spending $25.7 million for the right to negotiate with LHP Ryu Hyun-jin.

Risky move. His stats are pretty impressive, but he pitches in the Korean league. (Generally considered to be equivalent to AA or top-tier NCAA in terms of quality of play, as opposed to pro ball in Japan which is closer to AAA.)

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
wtf are the Marlins doing
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
wtf are the Marlins doingJML897
It ended up being even worse than I thought when I posted this. To me it almost feels like Loria committed fraud.
Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Oleg_Huzwog

[QUOTE="JML897"]wtf are the Marlins doingJML897
It ended up being even worse than I thought when I posted this. To me it almost feels like Loria committed fraud.

Well, yeah. It's Loria. That's what he does.

Boston_Boyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Boston_Boyy

Giancarlo Stanton is PISSED

And just in case he takes it down:
ciU4v.png

TonyDanzaFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 TonyDanzaFan
Member since 2010 • 2973 Posts
Haaaaaaaaaaa you suck Jose Reyes, have fun in Canada, you douche!
JohnBean42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 JohnBean42

The one night I'm out, and THIS happens. All I can say really is holy crap.

What a deal. Really feel we're legit right away if everyone is healthy. Even though the Marlins were mediocre with them all last year...

And I don't think AA is done yet, as we have a few too many catchers. Arencibia could be on his way up.

Give up 3 prospects, who may or may not work out, and 2 guys off bad years and a backup catcher, for legit big leaugers..out 2 and 3 starters and our SS and backup catcher who had his best year here...just awesome.

JohnBean42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 JohnBean42

ciU4v.png

Boston_Boyy

Nolasco's reaction was also pretty good, and simple.

https://twitter.com/RNolasco47/status/268511108103561216

TonyDanzaFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 TonyDanzaFan

[QUOTE="Boston_Boyy"]

ciU4v.png

JohnBean42

Nolasco's reaction was also pretty good.

Huh?.......

ricky nolasco (@RNolasco47) November 14, 2012

My reaction to their tweets: You're surprised? Giancarlo, you should haul your ass out of town as soon as your arbitration ends.
yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#31 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

I'm embarrassed to be a Marlins fan. I'm done with this franchise as long as Loria is running the show.

I really hope Stanton refuses to sign an extension in Miami just to shove it up Loria's ass. I hope he goes to a franchise whose front office will respect him. He's too good for the Marlins.

TonyDanzaFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 TonyDanzaFan

I'm embarrassed to be a Marlins fan. I'm done with this franchise as long as Loria is running the show.

I really hope Stanton refuses to sign an extension in Miami just to shove it up Loria's ass. I hope he goes to a franchise whose front office will respect him. He's too good for the Marlins.

yokofox33
I have similar feelings with the Knicks when it comes to James Dolan. They'll always be in my heart, but I just HATE Dolan. I'm starting to feel that way towards Hank and Hal Steinbrenner too. And I have felt that way about Cashman for almost a decade. But it must be 100000x worse with Loria. I would just switch to Tampa Bay TBH. Tampa rarely sells out, and yet the organization still seems to want to keep putting out a great team. Tampa takes that team for granted.
metswonin69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33 metswonin69
Member since 2006 • 1083 Posts

[QUOTE="Boston_Boyy"]

Jaysonguy

He's a drug addict that's unable to carry his team.

His addictions have cost them season after season.

They're better off reloading.

Yeah, maybe back in like the early to mid 2000's.
36Ounces

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 36Ounces
Member since 2006 • 2065 Posts

Marlins:lol: And they just built that nice shiny new stadium too.

JohnBean42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 JohnBean42
Read that Boston also watned Johnson and Reyes, but the Jays offered much better. Wonder what Farrell is thinking right now...have fun in Boston :lol:
Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Master_Live
Loria sucks, I could see now Selig starting behind the scene talks in how to force him out. As for the Blue Jays, AA had money, now he is spending it. Yanks better assure Kuroda comes back.
roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 roboccs
Member since 2006 • 7851 Posts
The Marlins are a disgraceful franchise. If I was a fan of the team I would be pissed... then again, it's South Florida, they don't have any real fans down there... Let's spend the public's money to build an new stadium, tease them for a year with "star" power, then dump all those players for a sack of baseballs...
yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 yokofox33

The Marlins are a disgraceful franchise. If I was a fan of the team I would be pissed... then again, it's South Florida, they don't have any real fans down there... Let's spend the public's money to build an new stadium, tease them for a year with "star" power, then dump all those players for a sack of baseballs...roboccs

I hate this perception that the Marlins don't have real fans. There are tons of real Marlins fans. Look at that dook who went to the Giants games dressed in Marlins orange. Look at me. I've been through 3 salary dumps with this team. I'm pissed, and so are many, many fans.

metswonin69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39 metswonin69
Member since 2006 • 1083 Posts

[QUOTE="roboccs"]The Marlins are a disgraceful franchise. If I was a fan of the team I would be pissed... then again, it's South Florida, they don't have any real fans down there... Let's spend the public's money to build an new stadium, tease them for a year with "star" power, then dump all those players for a sack of baseballs...yokofox33

I hate this perception that the Marlins don't have real fans. There are tons of real Marlins fans. Look at that dook who went to the Giants games dressed in Marlins orange. Look at me. I've been through 3 salary dumps with this team. I'm pissed, and so are many, many fans.

If there are tons of real fans, why is attendance perpetually terrible down there?
roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 roboccs
Member since 2006 • 7851 Posts

[QUOTE="roboccs"]The Marlins are a disgraceful franchise. If I was a fan of the team I would be pissed... then again, it's South Florida, they don't have any real fans down there... Let's spend the public's money to build an new stadium, tease them for a year with "star" power, then dump all those players for a sack of baseballs...yokofox33

I don't want to sound like I'm bagging on Florida in general, but I think there are just some horribly run franchises down there. Look at the Dolphins, Jaguars, and Rays. They all have attendance issues too. Even when the teams have been good they've had issues. It basically takes a championship run to get fans out there. A lot of that is ownership as well as the "star" mentality of Miami... kind of fair-weather fan-ish. Sure it happens to all teams to some extent. The Tigers had no fan-base in the late 90's to mid-2000's... that's because the owner did not invest in the team at all. The Pistons are going through the same thing right now as well, they have a new owner that has basically been in "evaluation mode" the last year or so.
yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 yokofox33

[QUOTE="yokofox33"]

[QUOTE="roboccs"]The Marlins are a disgraceful franchise. If I was a fan of the team I would be pissed... then again, it's South Florida, they don't have any real fans down there... Let's spend the public's money to build an new stadium, tease them for a year with "star" power, then dump all those players for a sack of baseballs...metswonin69

If there are tons of real fans, why is attendance perpetually terrible down there?

Stadium is not in a convenient location.

And gee, I wonder if the fans are maybe just a bit turned off by 3 huge firesales in the past 15 years? And maybe turned off by the fact that the owner is a perpetual liar and using taxpayer money to field a team of AAA players? And I'm glad you took "tons" literally. Every team has a dedicated fan base. The Marlins fan base is just much smaller than most teams.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 yokofox33

[QUOTE="yokofox33"]

[QUOTE="roboccs"]The Marlins are a disgraceful franchise. If I was a fan of the team I would be pissed... then again, it's South Florida, they don't have any real fans down there... Let's spend the public's money to build an new stadium, tease them for a year with "star" power, then dump all those players for a sack of baseballs...roboccs

I don't want to sound like I'm bagging on Florida in general, but I think there are just some horribly run franchises down there. Look at the Dolphins, Jaguars, and Rays. They all have attendance issues too. Even when the teams have been good they've had issues. It basically takes a championship run to get fans out there. A lot of that is ownership as well as the "star" mentality of Miami... kind of fair-weather fan-ish. Sure it happens to all teams to some extent. The Tigers had no fan-base in the late 90's to mid-2000's... that's because the owner did not invest in the team at all. The Pistons are going through the same thing right now as well, they have a new owner that has basically been in "evaluation mode" the last year or so.

It's fine. Florida is a crap hole. Have they even finished counting the votes for President? It just gets frustrating having fans of other teams constantly bagging on the team for poor attendance. The dedicated fans who follow the team, go to the games, and are passionate about the players are looped into the bandwagoners and awful fans.

Winning=fans. We'll never be a winner with Loria in charge. The 2003 championship was mainly the previous front office's team.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Master_Live
Marlins have never been good for a long enough time to establish a real consistent fan base.
Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Master_Live
I think, in general, that John Smoltz is a good analyst but he has made a lot of people more stupid with his moronic so called "formula" for deciding Cy Young winners. My God, what a disaster.
TonyDanzaFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 TonyDanzaFan
I think, in general, that John Smoltz is a good analyst but he has made a lot of people more stupid with his moronic so called "formula" for deciding Cy Young winners. My God, what a disaster.Master_Live
If Dickey doesnt win we riot.
TonyDanzaFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 TonyDanzaFan
Traddeeeeee Giancarlooooooooo
Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Master_Live
[QUOTE="Master_Live"]I think, in general, that John Smoltz is a good analyst but he has made a lot of people more stupid with his moronic so called "formula" for deciding Cy Young winners. My God, what a disaster.TonyDanzaFan
If Dickey doesnt win we riot.

Maybe you will, this isn't clear cut. I could make a good case for Kershaw winning it.
Slow_Show

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Slow_Show
Member since 2011 • 2018 Posts

The life of a Jays fan, in a nutshell: your team pulls off an unconscionably f*cking amazing blockbuster trade, and it gets you from the 5th best team in the division to 3rd best (maybe).

Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Oleg_Huzwog

The life of a Jays fan, in a nutshell: your team pulls off an unconscionably f*cking amazing blockbuster trade, and it gets you from the 5th best team in the division to 3rd best (maybe).

Slow_Show

Only 3rd? The Red Sox are rebuilding, the Yankees are aging and looking to cut payroll, the Rays are actively shopping pieces of their rotation, and the Orioles are bound for a return to reality (+7 run differential is characteristic of an 83-win team, not 93).

Boston_Boyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Boston_Boyy

[QUOTE="Slow_Show"]

Oleg_Huzwog

Only 3rd? The Red Sox are rebuilding, the Yankees are aging and looking to cut payroll, the Rays are actively shopping pieces of their rotation, and the Orioles are bound for a return to reality (+7 run differential is characteristic of an 83-win team, not 93).

To be fair, the Orioles run differential the last 72 games of the season was +64. That's a big enough number over a large enough number of games to not sneeze at if you ask me.