Manti Te'o's dead girlfriend? Yeah, she's fake.

• 90 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#1 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

http://deadspin.com/5976517/manti-teos-dead-girlfriend-the-most-heartbreaking-and-inspirational-story-of-the-college-football-season-is-a-hoax?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Essentially, this guy went from classy to a giant f*ckhead in a few seconds. Let's hope there's something else that can shed more light on this.

I'm hearing something saying that she went by a different name, but if so, the author of this article wrote a sh!tload for missing such a easy detail to see.

Here's the beginning few paragraphs:

"Notre Dame's Manti Te'o, the stories said, played this season under a terrible burden. A Mormon linebacker who led his Catholic school's football program back to glory, Te'o was whipsawed between personal tragedies along the way. In the span of six hours in September, asSports Illustratedtold it, Te'o learned first of the death of his grandmother, Annette Santiago, and then of the death of his girlfriend, Lennay Kekua.

Kekua, 22 years old, had been in a serious car accident in California, and then had been diagnosed with leukemia.SI's Pete Thamel described how Te'o would phone her in her hospital room and stay on the line with her as he slept through the night. "Her relatives told him that at her lowest points, as she fought to emerge from a coma, her breathing rate would increase at the sound of his voice," Thamel wrote.

Upon receiving the news of the two deaths, Te'o went out and led the Fighting Irish to a 20-3 upset of Michigan State, racking up 12 tackles. It was heartbreaking and inspirational. Te'o would appear on ESPN'sCollege GameDayto talk about the letters Kekua had written him during her illness. He would send a heartfelt letter to the parents of a sick child, discussing his experience with disease and grief. TheSouth Bend Tribunewrote an article describing the young couple's fairytale meetingshe, a Stanford student; he, a Notre Dame starafter a football game outside Palo Alto.

Did you enjoy the uplifiting story, the tale of a man who responded to adversity by becoming one of the top players of the game? If so, stop reading.

Manti Te'o did lose his grandmother this past fall. Annette Santiago died on Sept. 11, 2012, at the age of 72, according to Social Security Administration records in Nexis. But there is no SSA record there of the death of Lennay Marie Kekua, that day or any other. Her passing, recounted so many times in the national media, produces no obituary or funeral announcement in Nexis, and no mention in the Stanford student newspaper.

Nor is there any report of a severe auto accident involving a Lennay Kekua. Background checks turn up nothing. The Stanford registrar's office has no record that a Lennay Kekua ever enrolled. There is no record of her birth in the news. Outside of a few Twitter and Instagram accounts, there's no online evidence that Lennay Kekua ever existed.

The photographs identified as Kekuain online tributes and on TV news reportsare pictures from the social-media accounts of a 22-year-old California woman who is not named Lennay Kekua. She is not a Stanford graduate; she has not been in a severe car accident; and she does not have leukemia. And she has never met Manti Te'o."

Major_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 Major_Snake
Member since 2007 • 5271 Posts

what an assh*le

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50499 Posts

what an assh*le

Major_Snake
No one knows if he knew she was fake or not. Just wait to come to conclusions people...
yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

The only thing we know for sure is that Brent Musburger thinks the fake girlfriend is hot.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Chutebox

The only thing we know for sure is that Brent Musburger thinks the fake girlfriend is hot.

yokofox33
Super hot
monkeytoes61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#6 monkeytoes61
Member since 2005 • 8399 Posts

yokofox33
:lol:
jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

and how is this relevant to anything?

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts
People that haven't read the Deadspin article need to STFU.
jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jsmoke03
People that haven't read the Deadspin article need to STFU.Master_Live
i dont need to read the article to know that this isnt relevant to sports. so he got catfished....or he tried to play himself up to be this courageous guy? so what....that isn't going to help him tackle people.....
Major_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Major_Snake

[QUOTE="Major_Snake"]

what an assh*le

Chutebox

No one knows if he knew she was fake or not. Just wait to come to conclusions people...

Can't be serious....

seems pretty straightforward to me. From what I've read that is.

Major_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Major_Snake

[QUOTE="Master_Live"]People that haven't read the Deadspin article need to STFU.jsmoke03
i dont need to read the article to know that this isnt relevant to sports. so he got catfished....or he tried to play himself up to be this courageous guy? so what....that isn't going to help him tackle people.....

Could change his draft stock I'd say, even if it doesn't affect his play on the field.

Avatar image for No_Hablo_Ingles
No_Hablo_Ingles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 No_Hablo_Ingles
Member since 2009 • 8448 Posts

[QUOTE="Chutebox"][QUOTE="Major_Snake"]

what an assh*le

Major_Snake

Can't be serious....

It seems like he got cat fish'ed based off his story...
jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 jsmoke03

[QUOTE="jsmoke03"][QUOTE="Master_Live"]People that haven't read the Deadspin article need to STFU.Major_Snake

Could change his draft stock I'd say, even if it doesn't affect his play on the field.

yea it does....which would and should motivate him to play better....id draft him based on that
Major_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Major_Snake

[QUOTE="Major_Snake"]

[QUOTE="Chutebox"] No one knows if he knew she was fake or not. Just wait to come to conclusions people...No_Hablo_Ingles

Can't be serious....

The whole thing sounds fishy to me from both perspectives. Have to wait and see how this all turns out.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

This is both horrible and hilarious at the same time.

@nealbrennan: A fake person who loved you, then died? Isn't that what Notre Dame is all about? #jesus #te'o

Boston_Boyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 Boston_Boyy
Member since 2008 • 4103 Posts

[QUOTE="Major_Snake"]

[QUOTE="Chutebox"] No one knows if he knew she was fake or not. Just wait to come to conclusions people...No_Hablo_Ingles

Can't be serious....

I don't think so Tim. Quote from the article

"Te'o's father, Brian, told the Tribune in October 2012. "Every once in a while, she would travel to Hawaii, and that happened to be the time Manti was home, so he would meet with her there."

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Master_Live
So much BS in that press conference. Te'o might be the new Armstrong.
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Chutebox

@nealbrennan: A fake person who loved you, then died? Isn't that what Notre Dame is all about? #jesus #te'o

yokofox33
Stupid...
No_Hablo_Ingles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 No_Hablo_Ingles

yokofox33
:lol:
bleehum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 bleehum
Member since 2004 • 5321 Posts

[QUOTE="Major_Snake"]

Can't be serious....

For 3 years? Yeah, bullcrap. He'd have to LITERALLY be the most stupid person alive.

36Ounces

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 36Ounces
Member since 2006 • 2065 Posts

Still say he's gay.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Master_Live
He said he sometimes spent "8 hours" with his "girlfriend" on the phone. Fine, lets start by producing those phone records.
No_Hablo_Ingles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 No_Hablo_Ingles

[QUOTE="No_Hablo_Ingles"][QUOTE="Major_Snake"]

Can't be serious....

bleehum

For 3 years? Yeah, bullcrap. He'd have to LITERALLY be the most stupid person alive.

not really. After watching the documentary Catfish, and watching 1 or two of the shows, it wouldn't surprise me.
andyboiii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 andyboiii
Member since 2006 • 13628 Posts

why is this all over espn?

they made it seem like it's really TOP BREAKING NEWS :lol:

oh yes I forgot, it's the drama network..

Boston_Boyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Boston_Boyy

Still say he's gay.

36Ounces

If this guy is to be believed:
ZqoGb.png

It's the only real plausible answer. There's really nothing else that would come close to having the same significance of the first openly homosexual male pro athlete.

-Halftime-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 -Halftime-
Member since 2007 • 10004 Posts

why is this all over espn?

they made it seem like it's really TOP BREAKING NEWS :lol:

oh yes I forgot, it's the drama network..

andyboiii
Word. I can't be the only one that doesn't give a **** about this. It's weird, but who cares?
36Ounces

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 36Ounces

If it's true, good luck tryin to get along with teammates in the NFL.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Chutebox

36Ounces
Ya, have a feeling gay rights groups are going to be annoying when it comes to the NFL draft if he is gay
-Halftime-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 -Halftime-

36Ounces
Honestly, it's a shame if people in the NFL would hate on him if he turned out to be gay Who the hell cares what someone does with their personal life. I know I don't.
Put_in_Kitna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Put_in_Kitna
Member since 2009 • 2765 Posts

It's cool I got friends who f*** guys. In jail.

No_Hablo_Ingles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 No_Hablo_Ingles

Put_in_Kitna
I'm sure they miss you.
Put_in_Kitna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Put_in_Kitna
Member since 2009 • 2765 Posts

[QUOTE="Put_in_Kitna"]

No_Hablo_Ingles

I'm sure they miss you.

Aren't you sore from that gape you took earlier in nfl discussion? I am worried about your well being and your butt, friend.

CJL13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#34 CJL13
Member since 2005 • 19137 Posts

I like how ESPN actually considers that he's telling the truth about being duped, like how the fvck could you believe that, did they even read the report?

GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

#35 GamerForca
Member since 2005 • 7203 Posts

I like how ESPN actually considers that he's telling the truth about being duped, like how the fvck could you believe that, did they even read the report?

CJL13
They don't really believe it. Just making sure to defend America's Christian School. Kinda like how they knew ND was going to get trounced by Bama and yet spent a month trying to convince viewers that it would be a close game.
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Chutebox
[QUOTE="CJL13"]

GamerForca
They don't really believe it. Just making sure to defend America's Christian School. Kinda like how they knew ND was going to get trounced by Bama and yet spent a month trying to convince viewers that it would be a close game.

You really believe all that?
GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

#37 GamerForca
Member since 2005 • 7203 Posts
[QUOTE="GamerForca"][QUOTE="CJL13"]

Chutebox

What? It's pretty clear Te'o was in on it, look up all the old stories about him seeing his gf in Hawaii. I was half-joking about the last part, though ESPN will certainly do what they can to keep ND from looking bad.
-Halftime-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 -Halftime-

[QUOTE="No_Hablo_Ingles"][QUOTE="Put_in_Kitna"]

Put_in_Kitna

I'm sure they miss you.

Aren't you sore from that gape you took earlier in nfl discussion? I am worried about your well being and your butt, friend.

This made me laugh:lol:
monkeytoes61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#39 monkeytoes61
Member since 2005 • 8399 Posts
I honestly can't even form an opinion on this one. Did he really not know it was fake? I find that difficult to believe. But on the other hand, what's the point of covering this up? It's barely a sports story, and gives them no edge on the field. I'd like more facts to come out. After defending Joe Paterno in the immediate aftermath of the scandal before all the facts had come out, I've learned (I think) to contain myself until everything is on the table.
36Ounces

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 36Ounces

[QUOTE="36Ounces"]

-Halftime-

Honestly, it's a shame if people in the NFL would hate on him if he turned out to be gay Who the hell cares what someone does with their personal life. I know I don't.

He could always be the team hair stylist haha. What if he is gay though and dude was your teammate. You cool with hittin the showers after the game knowin he's there?

-Halftime-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 -Halftime-

[QUOTE="-Halftime-"][QUOTE="36Ounces"]

36Ounces

He could always be the team hair stylist haha. What if he is gay though and dude was your teammate. You cool with hittin the showers after the game knowin he's there?

I am. It's not like he's there to hit on you, ya know, or convert you. I have gay friends, it's weird at first of course but soon you just realize that it's just another person living their life and doing their thing. Sports isn't as accepting, because of the machismo culture, gladiator culture where guys will think you're weak or something. There are probably a lot more gay players in every league then people think. Most players if they are gay probly stay quiet about it cus they don't want the circus around their team, which I don't blame them for.
36Ounces

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 36Ounces

[QUOTE="36Ounces"]

[QUOTE="-Halftime-"] Honestly, it's a shame if people in the NFL would hate on him if he turned out to be gay Who the hell cares what someone does with their personal life. I know I don't.-Halftime-

I am. It's not like he's there to hit on you, ya know, or convert you. I have gay friends, it's weird at first of course but soon you just realize that it's just another person living their life and doing their thing. Sports isn't as accepting, because of the machismo culture, gladiator culture where guys will think you're weak or something. There are probably a lot more gay players in every league then people think. Most players if they are gay probly stay quiet about it cus they don't want the circus around their team, which I don't blame them for.

Fair enough. I just think most NFL players might not be as accepting, but whatever.

-Halftime-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 -Halftime-

36Ounces

Fair enough. I just think most NFL players might not be as accepting, but whatever.

They definitely wouldn't be, I agree. You are right about that. Football has such a huge "manly" factor associated with it that most players wouldn't be accepting of it. That ,ay be a reason, if Manti does turn out to be gay like these theories state, that he went through such great lengths to keep it secret.
The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
I think she was fake and he was duped. >_>
No_Hablo_Ingles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 No_Hablo_Ingles

36Ounces

http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-opinion/6426046/nfl-accept-gay-players You would be surprised. Some players wouldn't (probably for religious reasons) of course.
Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Master_Live
[QUOTE="36Ounces"]

[QUOTE="-Halftime-"] I am. It's not like he's there to hit on you, ya know, or convert you. I have gay friends, it's weird at first of course but soon you just realize that it's just another person living their life and doing their thing. Sports isn't as accepting, because of the machismo culture, gladiator culture where guys will think you're weak or something. There are probably a lot more gay players in every league then people think. Most players if they are gay probly stay quiet about it cus they don't want the circus around their team, which I don't blame them for.No_Hablo_Ingles

http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-opinion/6426046/nfl-accept-gay-players

Meh, I would take that with a grain of the salt. Also, it wouldn't surprise that a gay NFL player has been active on the league while a couple of teammates been already aware and they "covered" for him.
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Chutebox
[QUOTE="GamerForca"][QUOTE="Chutebox"][QUOTE="GamerForca"] They don't really believe it. Just making sure to defend America's Christian School. Kinda like how they knew ND was going to get trounced by Bama and yet spent a month trying to convince viewers that it would be a close game.

What? It's pretty clear Te'o was in on it, look up all the old stories about him seeing his gf in Hawaii. I was half-joking about the last part, though ESPN will certainly do what they can to keep ND from looking bad.

was just talking about the school and ESPN Part...so nm
Boston_Boyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Boston_Boyy

Honestly the only "Te'o got duped" story I can partially buy-into would be that he actually did believe he was in a relationship with this girl, really did believe she died of cancer, and really did care about her. When the media began to ask questions about the relationship, he began to embellish it instead of awkwardly trying to explain that he really never actually met this person, and that he truthfully wasn't as distraught as someone typically would be had they just watched their girlfriend die of cancer from 2000 miles away. The lie began to spiral out of control and Te'o, feeling there was no going back now, went along with it and attempted to make the best out of a terrible situation by holding cancer-research fundraisers and using this story to rally support from his teammates and to the program in general.

I'm not totally buying in, and I will admit it's a huge stretch. Though it would explain a couple things, namely:

1. Why his story is full of holes and inconsistencies.

2. Why Te'o was able to feign the emotion whenever the subject of his girlfriend came up.

3. What ever the hell this guyand this guyare talking about.

4. Roniah's role in the situation

It also certainly would make Te'o the first person to be fooled into believing in an online relationship, nor would it be a huge stretch to believe he began to embellish the details of this relationship to avoid awkwardly explaining that he never met this person he called his girlfriend.

GT90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 GT90
Member since 2002 • 6256 Posts

In another odd twist Arizona Cardinals Fullback Reagan Mauiasays he knowsLennay Kekua. Now it could be an entirely different woman that he's talking about, which it probably is. But, if it's the same girl, this story is just weird.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/arizona-cardinals-fullback-manti-te-os-fake-girlfriend-051106606--ncaaf.html

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

In another odd twist Arizona Cardinals Fullback Reagan Mauiasays he knowsLennay Kekua. Now it could be an entirely different woman that he's talking about, which it probably is. But, if it's the same girl, this story is just weird.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/arizona-cardinals-fullback-manti-te-os-fake-girlfriend-051106606--ncaaf.html

GT90
I just came in to post this. >_>