I Still Play ESPN NFL 2K5

This topic is locked from further discussion.

halo1399

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 halo1399
Member since 2003 • 617 Posts

And much prefer it over the garbage football series that is Madden. I've now been playing NFL 2K5 for almost a decade and I actually believe the game is better than Madden 13, and visually looks very impressive. Why, Why did EA have to purchase the rights to the NFL?? Tragedy for football gamers everywhere, I just want NFL 2K14!!

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

And much prefer it over the garbage football series that is Madden. I've now been playing NFL 2K5 for almost a decade and I actually believe the game is better than Madden 13, and visually looks very impressive. Why, Why did EA have to purchase the rights to the NFL?? Tragedy for football gamers everywhere, I just want NFL 2K14!!

halo1399

So you like inferior things, it's a free country.

Why did the NFL go with Madden?

5188D3KWcoL.jpg

So if you (sadly) think that this is the crowning achievement of professional football you're going to have to understand that you are in a very small minority

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
I still play NFL 2k5 too. On my franchise I'm on year 2023 or something
dodgerblue13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 dodgerblue13
Member since 2004 • 20846 Posts
Same here. I'm poor though, so that affects my decision.
monkeytoes61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#5 monkeytoes61
Member since 2005 • 8399 Posts
I like 2k5, except that it feels like your players are stuck in mud when you try to move them anywhere. Tecmo Super Bowl and Backbreaker scratch my football gaming itch.
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

My main problem with 2k5 is that some plays are too easy. There's rarely ever a reason to punt or kick a field goal on 4th and 1 because you're almost guaranteed 2+ yards on a QB Sneak (even against the hardest-difficulty computer). That's especially true if you're against a 4-3 defense because the QB can just sneak right between the two DTs without much of a problem.

There's also that it feels cheap at times because it seems like instead of improving the AI for the harder difficulties they just pump up the computer's stats. Tackling is much tougher, the computer players are always faster than your own, etc. I hate when games do that.

...despite this I still love playing it

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

I pop it in my PS2 once in awhile. It's still fun.

LittleMac19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 LittleMac19
Member since 2009 • 1638 Posts
I still have it the problem is that the game is just too easy for me at this point, still fun though. With that said, you can say what you want but the later Madden games have surpassed 2K5 in just about every way, you might as well accept it and move on and hope 2K starts making football games again like the rest of us
Avatar image for fernandmondego_
fernandmondego_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 fernandmondego_
Member since 2005 • 3170 Posts

[QUOTE="halo1399"]

Jaysonguy

So you like inferior things, it's a free country.

Why did the NFL go with Madden?

5188D3KWcoL.jpg

So if you (sadly) think that this is the crowning achievement of professional football you're going to have to understand that you are in a very small minority

Because EA paid for exclusivity after 2K started to eat into their market share. 2K retaliated by picking up the rights to MLB though they allow the 3 manufacturers to make their own (like The Show). I believe NBA turned down EA.
andyboiii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 andyboiii
Member since 2006 • 13628 Posts
So if you (sadly) think that this is the crowning achievement of professional football you're going to have to understand that you are in a very small minorityJaysonguy
madden is more for people that like arcadish gameplay and don't really know anything about football such as yourself but hey if you're into games that are extremely flawed and gimmicks that's okay (it's a free Country) APF 2k8 didn't fail because of the gameplay though, it didn't do well because it didn't have the exclusive rights for the NFL plain and simple
youngmurk911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#11 youngmurk911
Member since 2004 • 3895 Posts
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]So if you (sadly) think that this is the crowning achievement of professional football you're going to have to understand that you are in a very small minorityandyboiii
madden is more for people that like arcadish gameplay and don't really know anything about football such as yourself but hey if you're into games that are extremely flawed and gimmicks that's okay (it's a free Country) APF 2k8 didn't fail because of the gameplay though, it didn't do well because it didn't have the exclusive rights for the NFL plain and simple

agreed
FPSfan1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 FPSfan1985
Member since 2011 • 2174 Posts

We still have a very active league for APF2k8 comme join us. Next seasons starts soon.

http://www.casualadultgamers.com/V5/forumdisplay.php?95-All-Pro-Football

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18796 Posts

I like 2k5, except that it feels like your players are stuck in mud when you try to move them anywhere. Tecmo Super Bowl and Backbreaker scratch my football gaming itch.monkeytoes61
That always my beef with 2K games since they 1st hit the scene during the Dreamcast. It felt the players dont correspond with user movement. Felt stiff.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 PSP107
[QUOTE="andyboiii"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]So if you (sadly) think that this is the crowning achievement of professional football you're going to have to understand that you are in a very small minorityyoungmurk911

agreed

APF 2K was just a reskin of 2K5.
FPSfan1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 FPSfan1985
Member since 2011 • 2174 Posts
[QUOTE="youngmurk911"][QUOTE="andyboiii"] madden is more for people that like arcadish gameplay and don't really know anything about football such as yourself but hey if you're into games that are extremely flawed and gimmicks that's okay (it's a free Country) APF 2k8 didn't fail because of the gameplay though, it didn't do well because it didn't have the exclusive rights for the NFL plain and simple PSP107
agreed

You must not have spend much time with both games. APF 2K8 has far more gameplay depth. ESPN 2K5 lacked alot of the defensive tweaks that make APF feel so realistic.
PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 PSP107
[QUOTE="PSP107"][QUOTE="youngmurk911"] agreedFPSfan1985

You must not have spend much time with both games. APF 2K8 has far more gameplay depth. ESPN 2K5 lacked alot of the defensive tweaks that make APF feel so realistic.

I spend some quality time with NFL 2K5 but you got me on the APF 2K8 as I only played the demo.
Avatar image for Encognito_Mr_BC
Encognito_Mr_BC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Encognito_Mr_BC
Member since 2012 • 57 Posts
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]So if you (sadly) think that this is the crowning achievement of professional football you're going to have to understand that you are in a very small minorityandyboiii

This ^. I never felt like it was a chess match playing an opponent on Madden that 2k8 gave me. Then I again I study football extensively and played I'm not sure most of the opposition I faced in Madden ever did.
Avatar image for Encognito_Mr_BC
Encognito_Mr_BC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Encognito_Mr_BC
Member since 2012 • 57 Posts
[QUOTE="PSP107"][QUOTE="youngmurk911"] agreedFPSfan1985

This too ^. APF 2k8 was deep game as far as pure football goes. Unfortunately 2k killed the servers to it last month but it was extremely rewarding to build teams and somewhat creates schemes and systems to take against others online. If 2k tried to release this type of game to a niche market where they can expect low sales and put more effort into customizations options maybe the game would have taken off. Because they used Legends and the tier system it could have been a 2 or 3 year release game for extra polish and design...oh what could've been. Instead they tried to take on EA when the average football fans wants to choose the last super bowl winner with no idea on what identity scheme is tied to that team and learn gimme plays. So of course Madden will win, what's worse is EA bought the legends license too so it looks bad on all fronts.
36Ounces

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 36Ounces
Member since 2006 • 2065 Posts

Loved 2k5. Gotta dust off my PS2 and play this again.

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20 The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
I still play Madden 12.