Football (Soccer) 2013/2014 Season Discussion Thread

#151 Posted by I-AM-N00B (410 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride said:

Arsenal lost to Stoke, what the hell...

That's nothing new, they've only won at the Britannia once since Stoke were promoted! On another note I'm pleased to see Chelsea go 4 points clear in the league, but I fear Liverpool could be the dark horses for the title now. They are playing some terrific football and Suarez is on another level to most other PL players. Man City have 2 games in hand but the team that wins the League Cup usually goes into decline when it comes to the end of the season.

#152 Posted by The_Last_Ride (71748 posts) -

@I-AM-N00B said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

Arsenal lost to Stoke, what the hell...

That's nothing new, they've only won at the Britannia once since Stoke were promoted! On another note I'm pleased to see Chelsea go 4 points clear in the league, but I fear Liverpool could be the dark horses for the title now. They are playing some terrific football and Suarez is on another level to most other PL players. Man City have 2 games in hand but the team that wins the League Cup usually goes into decline when it comes to the end of the season.

They need to win the games aswell. I am expecting Chelsea or City to win. I don't think Arsenal will make it

#153 Edited by Aljosa23 (24954 posts) -

lollllllllllllllllll Spurs

#154 Posted by I-AM-N00B (410 posts) -

If Arsenal dont win the FA Cup now I dont see them ever winning a trophy again under Wenger!

#156 Posted by Nanomage (2417 posts) -

Tottenham had a small chance but it was to be expected,Benfica is way stronger than the Spurs.even when using some second line players.

#157 Posted by I-AM-N00B (410 posts) -

@Nanomage said:

Tottenham had a small chance but it was to be expected,Benfica is way stronger than the Spurs.even when using some second line players.

Was a good game though! Spurs deserved to at least force extra time and should have had a penalty at the end, Benfica were far too complacent in the last half hour! I think either Juventus or Valencia will win the Europa League, and Bayern or Real Madrid will win the Champions League.

#158 Edited by Brutal_Elitegs (16212 posts) -

Oh, God!

#159 Posted by MrYaotubo (2693 posts) -

@I-AM-N00B said:

@Nanomage said:

Tottenham had a small chance but it was to be expected,Benfica is way stronger than the Spurs.even when using some second line players.

Was a good game though! Spurs deserved to at least force extra time and should have had a penalty at the end, Benfica were far too complacent in the last half hour! I think either Juventus or Valencia will win the Europa League, and Bayern or Real Madrid will win the Champions League.

To be fair like nanomage said,Benfica was using some second line players just like in the first match since from what I could gather the focus for them is to won the League first and foremost so they´ve been resting some key players in other competitions,,with their main 11 they would´ve steamrolled the Spurs most likely but I agree,towards the end they got way to complacent.

I don´t think Valencia is one of the main favorites for the EL,I´d say the main ones are indeed Juventus,Benfica and maybe Porto,and I agree with Bayern and Real for the champions,though can´t really exclude Chelsea,with Mourinho and all.

#160 Posted by Aljosa23 (24954 posts) -

@Brutal_Elitegs said:

Oh, God!

You think you'll do worse than Barca did last year?

#161 Edited by Brutal_Elitegs (16212 posts) -

@Aljosa23 said:

@Brutal_Elitegs said:

Oh, God!

You think you'll do worse than Barca did last year?

Buttner against Robben... Game over, man. Game Over.

Tbh, I think a lot of people are underestimating us. We can comfortably keep it within a five goal margin if we play our best.

What are your thoughts on PSG?

#162 Posted by Aljosa23 (24954 posts) -

@Brutal_Elitegs said:

@Aljosa23 said:

@Brutal_Elitegs said:

Oh, God!

You think you'll do worse than Barca did last year?

Buttner against Robben... Game over, man. Game Over.

Tbh, I think a lot of people are underestimating us. We can comfortably keep it within a five goal margin if we play our best.

What are your thoughts on PSG?

Unpredictable, man. Van Ginkel is back from injury and he will help plug that hole in central midfield since Matic can't play for us in the CL. Both teams have a good chance, tbh. Besides Real Madrid I think we can put up a fight against every other team in the competition.

#163 Posted by Brutal_Elitegs (16212 posts) -

@Aljosa23 said:

Unpredictable, man. Van Ginkel is back from injury and he will help plug that hole in central midfield since Matic can't play for us in the CL. Both teams have a good chance, tbh. Besides Real Madrid I think we can put up a fight against every other team in the competition.

Yeah, out of all of the English teams I'd back Chelsea the most to get a result against any of the European heavyweights, especially with Mourinho in charge. You almost beat Bayern with 10 men, which is something you're better suited to than any other English team. Some potential good football narratives for Chelsea, like Mou vs. Pep and Mou vs. Madrid. None of that will happen of course as we are going to win the whole fecking thing.

#164 Posted by insanegame377 (332 posts) -

@MrYaotubo said:
@I-AM-N00B said:
@Nanomage said:

Tottenham had a small chance but it was to be expected,Benfica is way stronger than the Spurs.even when using some second line players.

Was a good game though! Spurs deserved to at least force extra time and should have had a penalty at the end, Benfica were far too complacent in the last half hour! I think either Juventus or Valencia will win the Europa League, and Bayern or Real Madrid will win the Champions League.

To be fair like nanomage said,Benfica was using some second line players just like in the first match since from what I could gather the focus for them is to won the League first and foremost so they´ve been resting some key players in other competitions,,with their main 11 they would´ve steamrolled the Spurs most likely but I agree,towards the end they got way to complacent.

I don´t think Valencia is one of the main favorites for the EL,I´d say the main ones are indeed Juventus,Benfica and maybe Porto,and I agree with Bayern and Real for the champions,though can´t really exclude Chelsea,with Mourinho and all.

Agree with most of what you said. Though I wouldn't class Porto as among the favourites for the EL considering how awful they were away at Napoli. I think Juventus will in it easily, though I fancy Basel to be the surprise package and reach the final.

In terms of CL Bayern are massive favourites and while Real Madrid have looked good this season, I think they'll end up bottling it in the later stages. Bayern's arrogance is probably their worst enemy, in games against Arsenal they've been two goals up from the first leg and assumed the game was won, only to be given a massive scare. They cant afford to be like that against Man Utd or any of the other remaining teams for that matter.

#165 Posted by Aljosa23 (24954 posts) -

@Brutal_Elitegs: Let's say United do somehow win the UCL... does that negate Moyes's fuck-ups in the league? I want Chelsea vs. Real Madrid in the Final... just because it's being played in Lisbon and like you said Mou vs. Madrid.

Also... LMAO 6-0

#166 Edited by Brutal_Elitegs (16212 posts) -

@Aljosa23: If Moyes wins the CL then they should name the south stand the 'David Moyes Is A Football Genius Stand'. We would have to defeat three extremely tough opponents to win it and I give us a <5% chance of doing it, so y'damn right it would negate our league fuck-ups. I wouldn't stop laughing if we won it at the expense of Liverpool.

For a team fighting for the title I don't think I've ever seen a team get hammerred as much by their direct rivals as Arsenal have been. Every season they always seem to be on the end of a pasting.

#167 Posted by Praisedasun (444 posts) -

I am so gutted that my team (olympiakos) didn't manage to qualify. The difference in quality between us and united was chaotic, but still, we should have kept that 2-0 lead. If some of our defenders weren't so terrible, and our best CF was playing, we would be in the quarterfinals right now.

There is a silver lining in every cloud though. If we played against bayern we would probably lose 6-0, 7-0,or more. I'd take a 3-0 defeat to United over that any day.

I reckon that United aren't likely to knock bayern out, but they will fight. It won't be a rout.

Real Madrid will destroy BvB(they have too many injured players),and chelsea vs psg will be quite the game.I think that PSG will qualify, but anything can happen.

Barcelona vs Atletico isn't offered for betting. But I believe that it will come down to experience, and therefore, barcelona will qualify.

#168 Posted by Aljosa23 (24954 posts) -

@Brutal_Elitegs said:

@Aljosa23: If Moyes wins the CL then they should name the south stand the 'David Moyes Is A Football Genius Stand'. We would have to defeat three extremely tough opponents to win it and I give us a <5% chance of doing it, so y'damn right it would negate our league fuck-ups. I wouldn't stop laughing if we won it at the expense of Liverpool.

For a team fighting for the title I don't think I've ever seen a team get hammerred as much by their direct rivals as Arsenal have been. Every season they always seem to be on the end of a pasting.

Moyes is the man, bro. Only time will light the way and illuminate his greatness to the world.

Fun fact: 17 out of Arsenal's 34 goals conceded this season came from 3 games.

#169 Posted by The_Last_Ride (71748 posts) -

Holy crap, yesterday's match was a total embaressment from Arsenal

#170 Posted by Brutal_Elitegs (16212 posts) -

@Aljosa23 said:

You think you'll do worse than Barca did last year?

What's the record?

#171 Posted by Aljosa23 (24954 posts) -

@Brutal_Elitegs said:

@Aljosa23 said:

You think you'll do worse than Barca did last year?

What's the record?

IIRC Barcelona lost 7-0 on aggregate.

#172 Posted by Jamesbanwalker (6 posts) -

I'm looking to buy a 2014 world cup Colombia away red soccer jersey online for a cheap price but good quality. Has anybody gave me some faver? I'll be appreciated. How about this one http://www.benz7.com/2014-fifa-world-cup-colombia-away-soccer-jersey-p-2449.html ? I google it. but i can't find out few reviews about this site. I can't make sure. thanks for any help!!!

#173 Posted by Brutal_Elitegs (16212 posts) -
@Aljosa23 said:

IIRC Barcelona lost 7-0 on aggregate.


0-5 at 35/1 for the first leg is looking pretty good value to me. Think I might put a fiver on it.

#174 Edited by Praisedasun (444 posts) -

0-3 is written all over it.

#175 Posted by khaloudakabooba (10 posts) -

Los Blancos para la decima... Hala Madrid

#176 Posted by Aljosa23 (24954 posts) -

@Brutal_Elitegs said:

@Aljosa23 said:

IIRC Barcelona lost 7-0 on aggregate.

0-5 at 35/1 for the first leg is looking pretty good value to me. Think I might put a fiver on it.

1-1

Buttner played a really good game, too.

Is this real life

#177 Posted by Brutal_Elitegs (16212 posts) -

@Aljosa23: It's the hope that hurts. That's actually how I wished we approached the 2011 final.

#178 Posted by Aljosa23 (24954 posts) -

lol embarrassing performance. Cech is shit, Luiz and Ramires are extra shit, Torres is fucking horrid, Willian is shit, Lampard is too fucking old and fat. Just terrible all around. Only Hazard played well but in bursts. There needs to be a mass exodus of these useless cunts in the Summer.

It's even funnier when you realize that PSG played pretty shit too. They just had massive amounts of luck and one individual flash of brilliance.

#179 Edited by Praisedasun (444 posts) -

Great goal by pastore, terrible goalkeeping by cech. I watched extended highlights of the game and I wasn't impressed by the football on display. I don't think Chelsea has much of a chance to overturn the tie. I believe that PSG will win 1-0 in the return leg, since chelsea will play very offensively and PSG will get many chances to score on the counter.

I watched the Real Madrid - Dortmund game, and as expected, Real won easily. Pretty solid display, they could have scored 1 or 2 goals more, but weidenfeller had a good game. Dortmund tried to create chances but except one or two occasions they couldn't break through Real's defense. Pepe had a particularely good game, and casillas was there when needed.

My predictions seem accurate so far, the second legs will be very interesting.

#180 Edited by Brutal_Elitegs (16212 posts) -

@Aljosa23 said:

lol embarrassing performance. Cech is shit, Luiz and Ramires are extra shit, Torres is fucking horrid, Willian is shit, Lampard is too fucking old and fat. Just terrible all around. Only Hazard played well but in bursts. There needs to be a mass exodus of these useless cunts in the Summer.

It's even funnier when you realize that PSG played pretty shit too. They just had massive amounts of luck and one individual flash of brilliance.

But tell us how you really feel.

You definitely need a striker. Playing Schurrle up front was just pointless.


#181 Edited by MrYaotubo (2693 posts) -

Looks like Benfica,Juventus and Basel are in a pretty good spot to advance to the EL semi finals, Porto will have the most trouble playing in the away second leg without two starters and only a 1-0 advantage.

Looks like Benfica and Juventus are the favourites tbh.

#182 Edited by Nanomage (2417 posts) -

@MrYaotubo said:

Looks like Benfica,Juventus and Basel are in a pretty good spot to advance to the EL semi finals, Porto will have the most trouble playing in the away second leg without two starters and only a 1-0 advantage.

Looks like Benfica and Juventus are the favourites tbh.

Yeah,Benfica nd Juve seem to be the strongest in there for sure,Benfica has been going to the semi finals(and a final) for the last three years so they´re close to getting another european trophy,I think they´ve already been on like 10 european finals,including 7 champions league finals,but only won two.

#183 Posted by Aljosa23 (24954 posts) -

@Brutal_Elitegs: Wanna know how I really feel?

WE'RE ADVANCING TO THE SEMI FINALS

FUCK THE PARISIANS AND THEIR QATARI OIL KINGS

MOURINHO THE GOAT

#184 Edited by Brutal_Elitegs (16212 posts) -

@Aljosa23:

How much was Cavani again? I thought Willian played particularly well.

Was really hoping Dortmund would pull through.





#185 Edited by Nanomage (2417 posts) -

Wasn´t expecting Chelsea to go through but I´m glad they did.

#186 Edited by Brutal_Elitegs (16212 posts) -

Chelsea win the CL
Liverpool win the PL
Arsenal win the FA Cup
City win the LC
Everton get a CL spot
United sit in 7th with Moyes still in charge for another year

God, just imagine

#187 Edited by Brutal_Elitegs (16212 posts) -

Chelsea, pls

#188 Posted by Aljosa23 (24954 posts) -

LOL City yesterday

Amazing

Threw the league

#189 Edited by 36Ounces (2065 posts) -

Atlanta is gettin a MLS team http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/pro-sports/mls-to-atlanta-countdown-is-on/nfbc3/ I'm not a big soccer fan but with a home team I think I could get into it.

#190 Posted by GamerForca (7093 posts) -

@36Ounces said:

Atlanta is gettin a MLS team http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/pro-sports/mls-to-atlanta-countdown-is-on/nfbc3/ I'm not a big soccer fan but with a home team I think I could get into it.

Gonna try to be there day 1. Finally a reason for me to care about the MLS.

#191 Posted by Brutal_Elitegs (16212 posts) -

There has been a 51 point swing between us and Liverpool.

FIFTY-ONE

#192 Edited by MrYaotubo (2693 posts) -

Over half million people in the title party downtown Lisbon,now that´s how you celebrate a championship win!















#193 Posted by Brutal_Elitegs (16212 posts) -

http://i.minus.com/ivsL6uCRCAsrG.gif

#194 Posted by Aljosa23 (24954 posts) -

Goodnight, sweet David

#195 Edited by Nanomage (2417 posts) -

@MrYaotubo said:

Over half million people in the title party downtown Lisbon,now that´s how you celebrate a championship win!

And now they beat Juventus in the semi final 2x1,Benfica can have a huge season this year.

#196 Edited by Aljosa23 (24954 posts) -

Amazing performance. Just amazing

Chelsea <3

#197 Edited by Brutal_Elitegs (16212 posts) -

http://i.minus.com/i5iWYuYmwFWW1.gif

#198 Posted by Brutal_Elitegs (16212 posts) -
@Aljosa23 said:

MOURINHO THE GOAT


How would you feel about Mourinho if he sold Mata and Hazard in the same year?

Make it happen, Woodward.

#199 Edited by Aljosa23 (24954 posts) -

@Brutal_Elitegs said:

@Aljosa23 said:

MOURINHO THE GOAT

How would you feel about Mourinho if he sold Mata and Hazard in the same year?

Make it happen, Woodward.

He probably will. Add Oscar in there.

Costa isn't coming cheap

#200 Edited by Brutal_Elitegs (16212 posts) -
@Brutal_Elitegs said:

Chelsea win the CL

Liverpool win the PL

Arsenal win the FA Cup

City win the LC

Everton get a CL spot

United sit in 7th with Moyes still in charge for another year

God, just imagine


Just need Arsenal to do an Arsenal now