Football (Soccer) 2013/2014 Season Discussion Thread

#51 Posted by The_Last_Ride (72301 posts) -

@I-AM-N00B said:

Chelsea v Man City was a great game yesterday, as a Chelsea fan I was very happy with the late winner, and it was good to see Torres come good at such an important time. Also everyone said Man Utd had a terrible start but City are only 2 points ahead of them now, and nobody is saying anything about them, and Utd also had a tougher set of fixtures on paper! I definitely think Pellegrini is getting off lightly!

Well both of those teams have a new coach. United fans are just whining in my opinion. City has also had Hart making some mistakes. United has overall just played bad.

Arsenal managed the win against Palace, anyone else think it wasn't a red? I mean he wasn't passed Arteta. It's a clear yellow, but i think a red is pretty harsh

#52 Edited by insanegame377 (332 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride said:
@I-AM-N00B said:

Chelsea v Man City was a great game yesterday, as a Chelsea fan I was very happy with the late winner, and it was good to see Torres come good at such an important time. Also everyone said Man Utd had a terrible start but City are only 2 points ahead of them now, and nobody is saying anything about them, and Utd also had a tougher set of fixtures on paper! I definitely think Pellegrini is getting off lightly!

Well both of those teams have a new coach. United fans are just whining in my opinion. City has also had Hart making some mistakes. United has overall just played bad.

Arsenal managed the win against Palace, anyone else think it wasn't a red? I mean he wasn't passed Arteta. It's a clear yellow, but i think a red is pretty harsh

Hart needs some decent competition, both for City and England. Pantilimon isn't any where near good enough to play in City's 1st team so no matter what Hart does wrong, he wont get dropped. City's performances in general have been better than United's so far this season, but its early days yet. Their fans need to be patient, and I still think the two will be the leading contenders for the title as the season progresses. The table always has an unconventional look about it whilst the season is early, look at Southamption being in the top 4 for example. The league wont start to properly take shape until around Christmas time.

As for the Arsenal game, I didn't see that particular game so therefore cant comment, but its a massive couple of weeks for them. With all due respect to the teams they've played so far, Dortmund and Spurs at home have been their only real tests, and tonight's league cup game was basically reserves v reserves. With Liverpool and United coming up soon, ans the return game against Dortmund in the CL, I think we'll learn a lot more about their credentials in the next few weeks.

#53 Edited by larence549 (10 posts) -

Germany has been qualified for the world cup 2014 which is going to be held in brazil. I am sure this world cup winners will be germany.

#54 Posted by BluePetaah (9 posts) -

anyone feel bad for artur boruc after begovic scored against him yesterday? hey zuzuvela, im also from ireland :D

#55 Edited by _Judas_ (750 posts) -

@bluepetaah: It's not that long ago since Tim Howard scored a goal like that against Bolton (?) I believe. Don't remember who the goalkeeper was, some dude with really red hair.

#56 Posted by insanegame377 (332 posts) -

@bluepetaah said:

anyone feel bad for artur boruc after begovic scored against him yesterday? hey zuzuvela, im also from ireland :D

Nope, I love seeing rare things in football like goalkeepers scoring, I remember similar things happened with Howard and Robinson scoring a few years back too! I also enjoyed seeing Vorm sent off and one of the players having to be the keeper in the Cardiff/Swansea game, that has to be quite a rare event as well!

#57 Edited by _Judas_ (750 posts) -

@insanegame377: Lol, I agree! Remember many years back when the then goalkeeper Van Der Sar was somehow removed from the pitch and John O' Shea had to step in. Funny stuff! He saved a couple of shots as well, did a great couple of saves. Saw that game. Think it was the guy with the most epic name in football, Angel Rangel, that stood in goal. Did some decent saves as well :P always makes me lol, seeing outfield-players in goal.

#58 Posted by marcheegsr (2836 posts) -

Im not really a English premier fan but I must say Arsenal is looking deadly on attack.

#59 Posted by I-AM-N00B (410 posts) -

@insanegame377 said:
@bluepetaah said:

Nope, I love seeing rare things in football like goalkeepers scoring, I remember similar things happened with Howard and Robinson scoring a few years back too! I also enjoyed seeing Vorm sent off and one of the players having to be the keeper in the Cardiff/Swansea game, that has to be quite a rare event as well!

If you want more scoring keepers then you should look up Rogerio Ceni and Hans-Jorg Butt. As for players going in goal I think its every football fan's guilty pleasure seeing that happen! As well as Rangel the other day I remember John Terry having to go in goal against Reading (the game responsible for Cech's headgear), as well as Jose Enrique against Newcastle. Also Phil Jagielka went in goal a few when he played for Sheffield United under Neil Warnock, I'm sure he even once saved a penalty!

#60 Posted by The_Last_Ride (72301 posts) -

So happy Arsenal is on top of the league. Bayern is looking to advance in Champions League

#61 Posted by EvilSelf (3619 posts) -

I am off work this afternoon just so i can watch my Gunners play against Dortmund. Good luck to all Gooners out there!

#62 Edited by VendettaRed07 (14012 posts) -

Aaron Ramsey, what a legend. :' )

#63 Edited by marcheegsr (2836 posts) -

Yeah Ramsey is doing well.

It looks like my team Juventus is going to get through the group on nothing but ties lol Worry some . At least they held Real Madrid to a draw.

My other team Milan just couldn't deal with Messi. Balotelli played well when he came on . He just needs to calm down his ego.

#64 Edited by Hyndorikus (13 posts) -

Juventus was so lucky that Galatasaray hasn't one their last match. Now it's on their own if Juve will qualify. Go juve ^^

#65 Edited by Seabas989 (10394 posts) -

@marcheegsr said:

Yeah Ramsey is doing well.

It looks like my team Juventus is going to get through the group on nothing but ties lol Worry some . At least they held Real Madrid to a draw.

My other team Milan just couldn't deal with Messi. Balotelli played well when he came on . He just needs to calm down his ego.

He should have started against Barca but whatever. Barca once again in the next round and Messi was awesome. :D

Meanwhile I must say I'm impressed my Arsenal. ANother team that has been impressive is Atletico Madrid.

#66 Posted by The_Last_Ride (72301 posts) -

@VendettaRed07 said:

Aaron Ramsey, what a legend. :' )

he's not a legend yet. Last season he got laughed at. So give him time, and he will be awesome together with the rest of the great Arsenal

#67 Posted by marcheegsr (2836 posts) -

Messi out 6-8 weeks due to injury that happened this past weekend.

I want to see how Barca performs without him.

#68 Posted by BluePetaah (9 posts) -

@_Judas_: oh yeah that was bogdan i think, loved that goal cause im an everton supporter ;) and now the crystal palace abuse starts :(

#69 Posted by BluePetaah (9 posts) -

Pogba's volley at the weekend tho :O

#70 Posted by insanegame377 (332 posts) -

@marcheegsr said:

They'll be fine, they're already through to the knockout stages of the CL meaning they can rest the other key players for the upcoming La Liga games. Barca will play the same as always, and I think Neymar will come into his own without Messi there.

#71 Posted by The_Last_Ride (72301 posts) -

Damn, Arsenal managed to lose after a tough week, but it's a long season

#72 Posted by I-AM-N00B (410 posts) -

@insanegame377 said:
@marcheegsr said:

They'll be fine, they're already through to the knockout stages of the CL meaning they can rest the other key players for the upcoming La Liga games. Barca will play the same as always, and I think Neymar will come into his own without Messi there.

Yes I agree! In fact Messi hasn't really been up to it this season in all honesty, perhaps a spell out will do him and the club some good! In truth I get the feeling that Messi has more than one eye on being 100% fit for the World Cup, after all hes done pretty much all he can with Barca now in terms of records and winning trophies, its time for him to become a legend on the international stage!

#73 Edited by The_Last_Ride (72301 posts) -

I don't think Argentina is good enough to win the WC. Germany, Spain, England and Netherlands look really strong

#74 Posted by GamerForca (7095 posts) -

Iceland 0-0 Croatia - Croatia will be the slight favorites with the return leg in Zagreb

Portugal 1-0 Sweden - Portugal should've won by more.. makes me nervous. Ronaldo comes through late.

Ukraine 2-0 France - !! !! !! !!!!!!

Greece 3-1 Romania - Looks like the Greeks are going through

#75 Posted by PrinceDemoz (14 posts) -

woo. good week so far.

Mexico smashes New Zealand and now Ronaldo comes thru.

#76 Edited by I-AM-N00B (410 posts) -

@GamerForca said:

Iceland 0-0 Croatia - Croatia will be the slight favorites with the return leg in Zagreb

Portugal 1-0 Sweden - Portugal should've won by more.. makes me nervous. Ronaldo comes through late.

Ukraine 2-0 France - !! !! !! !!!!!!

Greece 3-1 Romania - Looks like the Greeks are going through

Should be some interesting 2nd legs! I think Iceland needed to take a lead to Croatia to cause the upset, but then again if they score in Zagreb then Croatia need 2 so you never know!

Portugal should have enough in the tank to see themselves through the Sweden tie, I predict a draw for that one, possibly 2-2.

The France-Ukraine game should be very interesting indeed! I have a feeling Ukraine will actually sneak through, as France have given themselves too much of a mountain to climb. That said, France have some very promising young players coming through and it would be a shame to see them not qualify.

The Greece game is probably the least interesting of the 4 games, and I think they'll get through comfortably. Mitroglou has been in great form in the Champions League and it seems hes taken that form to the international stage!

#77 Posted by GamerForca (7095 posts) -

Croatia 2-0 Iceland - Croatia advances

Sweden 2-3 Portugal - What a game! Ronaldo might've cemented Player of the Year with that hat trick. Zlatan came through with two goals to make it close.

France 3-0 Ukraine - Big comeback for France. Only saw the last ten minutes, but it looked like they were dominating.

Romania 1-1 Greece - Greece advances

#78 Posted by Nanomage (2419 posts) -

The Sweden vs Portugal was crazy on the second half,Ronaldo was simply amazing!

#79 Posted by n33d2skate (5069 posts) -

Can not wait for the Merseyside Derby this weekend! Hope to go back to Anfield with three points!

#80 Edited by insanegame377 (332 posts) -

Some interesting games this weekend, the Merseyside Derby, City v Spurs and Dortmund v Bayern being the ones that stand out. Arsenal v Southampton should also be an interesting game with both teams performing much better than expected.

On the subject of the World Cup, I'm glad to see that all the best teams got through. The tournament wouldn't have been the same without Ribery and Ronaldo for example, especially as they are the two favourites to win the Ballon D'Or.

#81 Posted by CommanderShiro (21746 posts) -

Uruguay beats Jordan on aggregate. All teams for World Cup have been decided.

#82 Posted by n33d2skate (5069 posts) -

How do you all feel about FIFA extending the voting deadline for the Ballon D'or? Personally, I think it's a bit stupid.

#83 Posted by I-AM-N00B (410 posts) -

@n33d2skate said:

How do you all feel about FIFA extending the voting deadline for the Ballon D'or? Personally, I think it's a bit stupid.

Its obvious that its because of Ronaldo's amazing performance against Sweden the other night. He basically qualified Portugal for the World Cup single-handed. Ribery had been nailed on to win it for months thanks to his amazing performances at Bayern, but since Tuesday night Ronaldo has now been made the odds-on favourite. I do think Ronaldo deserves it though, the past few months he's been the best player around, no question.

#84 Posted by n33d2skate (5069 posts) -

@I-AM-N00B: I agree that Ronaldo does deserve the Ballon D'Or. Personally, I don't like him since he did play for Manchester United and his ego just annoys me, but he is a very good player.

#85 Posted by The_Last_Ride (72301 posts) -

Really happy Bayern and Arsenal both won their matches, both top of the league atm :D

#86 Edited by marcheegsr (2836 posts) -

Balotellllllllllliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

#87 Posted by GamerForca (7095 posts) -

USA and Portugal in the same group. Fuck. Alongside Germany and Ghana. Double Fuck. The Group of Death for both of my teams.

RIP USA :(

#88 Posted by CommanderShiro (21746 posts) -

@GamerForca said:

USA and Portugal in the same group. Fuck. Alongside Germany and Ghana. Double Fuck. The Group of Death for both of my teams.

RIP USA :(

As a USA fan, FUCKKKKK.

#89 Edited by marcheegsr (2836 posts) -

Italy in the so called group of death. Oh well. I love to see my team play England. Always a classic. Also Uruguay has two of the best strikers at the moment.

It's going to be a crazy world cup.

#90 Posted by The_Last_Ride (72301 posts) -

I have been impressed with Suarez lately, man that goal from 20+ meters was awesome. Arsenal also playing superbly

#91 Edited by insanegame377 (332 posts) -

@marcheegsr said:

Italy in the so called group of death. Oh well. I love to see my team play England. Always a classic. Also Uruguay has two of the best strikers at the moment.

It's going to be a crazy world cup.

Some very interesting groups I have to say. Being from England I'm not too optimistic about our chances, but I also don't think Uruguay are as good as people are making out. Remember they only finished 5th in Qualifying and had to win a play-off to get through. The England/Uruguay game will be key, and I think will be the game that determines who qualifies with Italy. Also god to see FIFA moving the kick-off time of the England/Italy game, so people from both countries can actually watch it.

The Spain/Holland/Chile group hasn't been mentioned a lot, and I actually think Chile may qualify ahead of one of the 2 favourites. They tore England apart at Wembley last month, and could be the surprise package of the tournament.

#92 Posted by iowastate (7873 posts) -

I never miss the The Tehran Derby even if I can only watch it by satellite on the PC or television.

I have been following Esteghlal since it was Taj F.C before the Shah was toppled in the Islamic revolution

▶ ESTEGHLAL - PERSPOLIS | Tehran Derby 77 | IPL 13/14 - Week 8 | • HIGHLIGHTS • - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWuzhtBgExg

#93 Posted by iowastate (7873 posts) -

@n33d2skate said:

@I-AM-N00B: I agree that Ronaldo does deserve the Ballon D'Or. Personally, I don't like him since he did play for Manchester United and his ego just annoys me, but he is a very good player.

Is that the same Chris Ronaldo who is once again representing the Portuguese Olympic team in the professional diving events?

#94 Posted by The_Last_Ride (72301 posts) -

Bayern vs City was such a bad match to watch for my part, they totally sucked after first half. City deserved to win, much to my dismay. Hopefully will Arsenal win today

#95 Edited by The_Last_Ride (72301 posts) -

Liverpool on top of the league and Bayern won the World Cup

#96 Posted by I-AM-N00B (410 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride said:

Down to fourth now! Think City will win the league now and its not looking good for Man Utd, would be awesome to see them struggling for top 4 but dont think it'll happen!

#97 Edited by The_Last_Ride (72301 posts) -

@I-AM-N00B said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

Down to fourth now! Think City will win the league now and its not looking good for Man Utd, would be awesome to see them struggling for top 4 but dont think it'll happen!

Personally i am a gunner fan, so i hope they win, but you never know. They managed to beat Tottenham tonight

#98 Edited by I-AM-N00B (410 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride said:

@I-AM-N00B said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

Personally i am a gunner fan, so i hope they win, but you never know. They managed to beat Tottenham tonight

I think Arsenal have done well so far this season, but I don't think they are quite good enough to win the league just yet. I think they need a top class striker and centre back, then they could be potential champions. I'm a Chelsea fan myself and feel we're in a similar situation to your team as to what we need, only we may have to to sell Ba and Torres before getting players in. I think if you offered either Arsenal or Chelsea 2nd or 3rd place in the League as well as an FA Cup win, both would gladly accept!

#99 Edited by insanegame377 (332 posts) -

@I-AM-N00B said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@I-AM-N00B said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

I think Arsenal have done well so far this season, but I don't think they are quite good enough to win the league just yet. I think they need a top class striker and centre back, then they could be potential champions. I'm a Chelsea fan myself and feel we're in a similar situation to your team as to what we need, only we may have to to sell Ba and Torres before getting players in. I think if you offered either Arsenal or Chelsea 2nd or 3rd place in the League as well as an FA Cup win, both would gladly accept!

I hear that Diego Costa is likely to join one of the top Premier League clubs this transfer window, with Arsenal and Man United expressing a huge interest. If someone does manage to get him then that will certainly swing the title race in their favour. I wouldn't rule United out of the title race yet given that Moyes reportedly has £200 million to spend this transfer window, but obviously they cant afford to lose many more games.

Would subsequently be a massive blow for Atletico and the Spanish league in general if they did lose Costa, as its the first time in years someone other than Barca or Real have been genuine contenders to win the Spanish title.

#100 Edited by The_Last_Ride (72301 posts) -

I want Draxler and a solid young striker to come to Arsenal. Arsenal haven't lost with Koscielny and Mertesacker on the pitch this year. So we don't need a centre back atm, but we need a better back up than Vermaelen