Does anyone else think the NBA is losing it's edge?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JDW_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 JDW_games
Member since 2006 • 1892 Posts
I'm in my late 20's and ever since Jordan, Bird, and Magic left the game it's been going downhill. There are some amazing guys in the league now like Kobe, LeBron, Steve Nash, and Dirk ... but the NBA just doesn't have the same feeling like MLB and the NFL keep year after year. I rarely ever watch the NBA anymore, plus the playoffs are ridiculous long now.
MahlerFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MahlerFreak
Member since 2006 • 148 Posts
I'm in my late 20's as well and I would have to disagree. I think B-ball is coming back. I think it's finally moving back to the flowing game I came to love in the 80's. I find it to be quickly moving away from the tedious defensive game of the 90's to something more athletic and fun to watch.
dkhw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 dkhw
Member since 2006 • 4045 Posts
I have no clue who you are, but you obviously are not a basketball fan. Basketball is coming  back and playoffs are better than ever. Utha-Houston, Suns-Lakers, Mavs-Warrior, and etc. all great great matchups and if that doesn't excite you, you are not a basketball fan.
EmanSolid117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 EmanSolid117
Member since 2006 • 952 Posts
I'm in my late 20's and ever since Jordan, Bird, and Magic left the game it's been going downhill. There are some amazing guys in the league now like Kobe, LeBron, Steve Nash, and Dirk ... but the NBA just doesn't have the same feeling like MLB and the NFL keep year after year. I rarely ever watch the NBA anymore, plus the playoffs are ridiculous long now. JDW_games
If thats how u feel then your probably not a fan of the sport anymore. Alot people grow out of things and don't like it anymore whether it b video games, or certain shows. Me, I love BasketBall and BaseBall. Though in my opinion both sports have their flaws, im able to look past that and enjoy both sports. U can't let the fact that certain B ball players who retired and are not playing anymore b reason enough to not b into it anymore.
Nene33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Nene33
Member since 2007 • 7870 Posts

I'm also in my late 20's, and the NBA is making it's comeback, for a while it was kinda bland, mainly because a lot of "highschool promises" didn't pan out, now the teams are starting to get a little smarter again with the talent they draft, you see all teams made a big progression especialy this last season. Right now the NBA is having more and more stars emerge all over the league, and it's not just focused on SG's anymore, all positions are getting more and more quality players, the NBA is on the right track.

jimmygrace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jimmygrace
Member since 2007 • 2405 Posts
The NBA is ruined by hip-hop if you ask me.College basketball is probably my favorite sport of all, though.
UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 UssjTrunks
Member since 2005 • 11299 Posts

I'd have to disagree. It's still just as exciting, just a different style.

jimmygrace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jimmygrace
Member since 2007 • 2405 Posts

UssjTrunks

The style sucks.Teams play no defense and all of the focus is on 1 player, the only teams that play the game the way its meant to be played are Phoenix, Dallas, San Antonio, and Detroit.Those teams actually play as a TEAM.

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts
I stopped caring about it years ago. Aside from a few teams, there's no sense of team ball anymore, which is why I watch NCAA men's AND women's basketball.
duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 duxup
Member since 2002 • 43443 Posts
If I survive the regular season (too long) the playoffs do a great job of burning me out each year.  WAY too many teams in the playoffs and there are way too many games.  They'll never change that because of the money but it is terrible how even in the playoffs you'll see guys not giving it their all because .  . . really they don't have to.
Eman5805

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Eman5805
Member since 2004 • 4494 Posts
[QUOTE="UssjTrunks"]

jimmygrace

The style sucks.Teams play no defense and all of the focus is on 1 player, the only teams that play the game the way its meant to be played are Phoenix, Dallas, San Antonio, and Detroit.Those teams actually play as a TEAM.

College is such a different game than the NBA team ball only LOOKS like it's the right way to play(well actually it's just one way to play). In the Final Four tournament, you just gotta win one game against the best teams in the league. You think a 14 would beat a 2 seed if they played a 3 or 5 game series? I'll admit I like that set up alot cuz literally anyone can win it, but I still perfer the NBA cuz the talent level is soo much greater. But, hey to each his own. And to answer the topic: No, the NBA just gets better and better to me. 8)

ronniemoisture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ronniemoisture
Member since 2007 • 150 Posts
They screwed up when the married Hip Hop.  That move alienated some people from the game.  Who wants to see a bunch of overpaid thugs brawl, have shootouts in parking lots etc. I think Stern is coming to his senses now and realizes mistakes of the past.
Eman5805

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Eman5805

They screwed up when the married Hip Hop.  That move alienated some people from the game.  Who wants to see a bunch of overpaid thugs brawl, have shootouts in parking lots etc. I think Stern is coming to his senses now and realizes mistakes of the past.ronniemoisture

Married Hip Hop? What movie? What shootouts? Did I miss something here:?

ronniemoisture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ronniemoisture
Member since 2007 • 150 Posts

[QUOTE="ronniemoisture"]They screwed up when the married Hip Hop.  That move alienated some people from the game.  Who wants to see a bunch of overpaid thugs brawl, have shootouts in parking lots etc. I think Stern is coming to his senses now and realizes mistakes of the past.Eman5805

Married Hip Hop? What movie? What shootouts? Did I miss something here:?

The guy from the Pacers busting hot lead outside of a strip club, and in the late 90s they started trying to appeal to the hip hop culture. not a bad move in the short term because of the exploding popularity of the Rap scene at the time, but it hurt their image in the long run.  Movie??? um im lost as well. You might be confused with "move"

Ngamer05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Ngamer05
Member since 2003 • 11577 Posts

I don't think it is, the game is just being played at a faster pace and to me, makes the game more exciting. Defense doesn't seem to be a priority to a lot of teams and that might play a factor into some of the "oldschool" fans losing interest in the game. I can only think of a handful of teams that play great defense, which is not good if you're a defense guy.

But the NBA in not declining in superstar players (imo): You got Nash, Kidd, Kobe, McGrady, Vince, Lebron, Wade, Duncan, Dirk, Amare, Garnett, Brand, Billups, Yao, Bosh, Arenas, Redd, R. Allen, Carmelo, Iverson, Boozer, Baron, J. O'Neal, D. Howard, J. Howard, Marion, Artest, Bibby, Ginobli, Pierce, Gordon, Odom, Paul, Lewis

Eman5805

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Eman5805
The reason defense has declind isn't cuz players don't wanna play it. It's cuz they keep changing the rules to MAKE the game an offensive showcase(hand check rule and similar changes since then). And to tell the truth, REAL old school basketball was an offensive game. I'm talking 60s-early 80s. If you weren't scoring atleast 100 points a game you wouldn't win most games back then. I'm not saying this out of experience(I'm 19), but I've heard interviews with players who know from way back then.
xyoojguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 xyoojguy
Member since 2003 • 1102 Posts
Yeah there is just no strong rivalry between teams anymore in the NBA.. It is still good if you're a hardcore fan but not as good as the NBA of the 90's and 80's IMO.. Plus Great NBA teams from the 90s' and 80 will totally murder todays NBA teams if they play against each other.
mazing87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 mazing87
Member since 2004 • 3881 Posts

What does hip-hop have to do with the quality of the NBA?  Back up your statement

The NBA is ruined by hip-hop if you ask me.College basketball is probably my favorite sport of all, though.jimmygrace

ZebethOrZebes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 ZebethOrZebes
Member since 2004 • 5997 Posts
[QUOTE="UssjTrunks"]

jimmygrace

You should watch Toronto more often.