Do most gamers watch sports?

#1 Posted by MDK12345 (573 posts) -

I like sports. But a lot of gamers I know, especially PC gamers, don't really watch sports. They are busy playing their games. Are gamers sports fans? I know athletes are gamers. But do the really ''nerdy'' gamers that collect every gaming memorabilia and poster really dig sports? I would assume a lot of gamers only game, game, and game some more.

#2 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23461 posts) -

esports

#3 Posted by GamerForca (7078 posts) -

From what I've seen personally, no, most don't watch sports. I'd say about two thirds of the really nerdy gamers I've met don't watch sports, with the last third split between being huge sports fans, and being rather ambivalent about them. There are a pretty good amount who watch sports overall though, me included.

#4 Edited by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

Football is the only sport I care to watch at all and even that I rarely watch. I mainly just watch OSU and sometimes catch a 49ers game. I only watch the Superbowl if the 49ers are playing. If they aren't, I only watch the commercials and during the game, I play a PC game until I need to pause for the next commercial.

#5 Edited by 4myAmuzumament (1748 posts) -

I watch my home teams play American football and basketball and follow other top teams records ie Miami Heat or NE Patriots. I try my best to watch a majority of the playoffs of those two sports and I always watch the Super Bowl and the NBA Finals. Back when I had my 360 and FIFA, I briefly got into soccer, but then life happened and soccer became too hard to follow. It'd probably be easier if I had cable.

#6 Posted by Braun_Roid_Rage (719 posts) -

Nope, otherwise we would have more activity on this board. Bunch of dweebs man.

#7 Posted by Bikouchu35 (7351 posts) -

Nope most nerds are clueless. Oh heck I don't even play sports, but I enjoy watching clips/lakers games and when I have the chance I'll go in person. Once in a blue moon doyers and angels games too. I like to say that I dip my toes in wide array of interests, but without really mastering at one.

If there was a venn diagram of the many hobbies and interests out there than Sports and Games would hardly overlap. Most of those that play 2k and Madden aren't serious gamers themselves and the serious gamers hardly play them either.

#8 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (15918 posts) -

I watch sports. I played sports. I play sports games on consoles. That doesn't mean I'll be hanging around the sports section of a gaming Web site.

#9 Posted by jsmoke03 (12760 posts) -

yes...do you see the amount of copies madden,nba 2k sell? dont think of gamers are the ones you see in the forums. they arent. gamers on forums arent the majority....they are actually the minority

#10 Posted by roulettethedog (10953 posts) -

I follow my teams and am a casual sports fan for the rest of the leagues.

#11 Posted by thehig1 (1399 posts) -

I watch Football all the time, and play it socially too. Thats i though other sports don't hold my interest.

#12 Edited by 187umKILLAH (1337 posts) -

I enjoy watching certain sports, my favourite sports/teams/competitors are:

• Rugby League (NRL) / Rabbitohs, Warriors
  • MotoGP / Marquez, Rossi, Bradl
  • Superbike World Championship / Tom Sykes, Jonathan Rea
  • British Superbike Championship / Jenny Tinmouth, badass chick. Set a Guiness World Record for being the first and only female rider in BSB and 2 more in the Isle of Man TT
  • WWE / The Wyatt Family, AJ Lee, Cesaro, Damien Sandow and Titus O'Neil
#13 Edited by ccs007 (11 posts) -

I believe that the gamers are also sport fans but the have few time to watch...

#14 Posted by Praisedasun (444 posts) -

I'd rather watch a good soccer match than play a videogame.

#15 Posted by Blueresident87 (5336 posts) -

I absolutely do, during football season I don't spend more time doing anything else except sleeping.

#16 Posted by Zombiekiller360 (369 posts) -

I do both :o time management people

#17 Posted by teske4444 (47 posts) -

I almost always have some sporting event on TV when playing games. Depending on which is more exciting, I'll switch between gaming and watching. I have been loving the continuous hockey every night, and playing games + watching hockey is a fantastic night in my books.

#18 Posted by Chutebox (36632 posts) -

Nope, otherwise we would have more activity on this board. Bunch of dweebs man.

yeeup

#19 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (5780 posts) -

There are only a couple of sports I follow, being cricket and V8 racing here in Aus.

#20 Posted by mattykovax (22693 posts) -

Most of my gamer friends do not, most of my sports fans friends do not play games. In fact I think I only know one other person IRL than myself that is both.

#21 Edited by BigCat2K20 (247 posts) -

I do play video games & also watch sports as well. There are some people I know who watch sports, but don't play video games at all.

#22 Posted by CWEBB04z (4563 posts) -

The only games I really play anymore on my consoles are sports games. NBA 2k, Madden, MLB The Show, Tiger Woods Golf. I love playing sports / watching.

#23 Edited by cainetao11 (16896 posts) -

@mdk12345: Lately it seems if u do, you are a "yearly milkeage sports game fan" which of course is evil. But TLOU remastered is all good. I am, and LETS GO RANGERS!!!

#24 Posted by MDK12345 (573 posts) -

From what I've seen personally, no, most don't watch sports. I'd say about two thirds of the really nerdy gamers I've met don't watch sports, with the last third split between being huge sports fans, and being rather ambivalent about them. There are a pretty good amount who watch sports overall though, me included.

But it's still perfectly acceptable to love both sports and a wide variety of video games? I never understood why more weren't hardcore with both. I love games, but I also love sports & many things like the outdoors, going out.

#25 Edited by GamerForca (7078 posts) -

@mdk12345 said:

But it's still perfectly acceptable to love both sports and a wide variety of video games? I never understood why more weren't hardcore with both. I love games, but I also love sports & many things like the outdoors, going out.

Of course it's acceptable. But it's also obvious to me why many gamers wouldn't be into sports. I mean, most of the gamers I know are either skinny and weak or fat and out of shape. In sports, you run and kick and swing things with your arms, which are things a lot of gamers don't really like to do (or can't do very well). Both activities are pretty much opposites.

#26 Edited by Star0 (443 posts) -

People watch and play sports.

Nerds stay away from people.

#27 Posted by Mercuria1_King (276 posts) -

I am a hardcore gamer and an avid sports fan.

#28 Posted by CWEBB04z (4563 posts) -

@mdk12345 said:

Of course it's acceptable. But it's also obvious to me why many gamers wouldn't be into sports. I mean, most of the gamers I know are either skinny and weak or fat and out of shape. In sports, you run and kick and swing things with your arms, which are things a lot of gamers don't really like to do (or can't do very well). Both activities are pretty much opposites.

There a bunch guys that I know who are avid sports fans that play video games... but its mainly only Battlefield, Call of Duty, and Madden/NBA 2K/MLB The Show games.

#29 Edited by udUbdaWgz1 (631 posts) -

yes, a lot of weak gamers don't watch or have a clue about sports. many think the ds and zelda and wii are shiite to yap about, lol.

casuals are the bane of gaming.

#30 Posted by JEP_100 (27 posts) -

Hello,

I watch sports and play games. It always depends on the person to be honest. Most athletes probally play video games especially when there sport related. Gamers usually don't play sports but as stated earlier it always depends on the person.

#31 Posted by NoxRainbow (38 posts) -

Nah, I know a lot of gamers that don't watch sports. Not even when there is world cup and stuff around.

#32 Posted by Blueresident87 (5336 posts) -

Dunno, this one does

#33 Posted by PhysXy (9 posts) -

I can only speak for me and I am a gamer who also watches sports. Now OP why was there not a poll in place we could fill out if you wanted to know more about this?

#34 Posted by RodneyCourts (51 posts) -

Definitely. I think all gamer watch matches when they are not playing the match. The interest of sports in people will never be ended.

#35 Posted by RodneyCourts (51 posts) -

Partially the sports person watch the game. Sports person always love to watch games that are performed by others or themselves. They are very much passionate about that, but most of them not having time to watch those series or sports.

#36 Edited by MDK12345 (573 posts) -

@jep_100 said:

Hello,

I watch sports and play games. It always depends on the person to be honest. Most athletes probally play video games especially when there sport related. Gamers usually don't play sports but as stated earlier it always depends on the person.

So athletes probably play video games, but gamers don't play athletics? Some pro athletes carry a Vita and play on plane rides. Hunter Pence.