boston celtics

This topic is locked from further discussion.

vrizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 vrizzle
Member since 2005 • 1426 Posts
now that the celtics are on a 16 game losing streak, do u think that they will start losing on purpose so that they can get the first pick of the draft, be it kevin durant or greg oden if they declare for the draft this year
BobSacamento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 BobSacamento
Member since 2003 • 4340 Posts
i could see that

aint nobody got a chance the way the raptors are playin
A_Lethal_Virus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 A_Lethal_Virus
Member since 2005 • 1939 Posts
You've got to be crazy to think that an NBA team would loose games on purpose.

Especially a team like the celtics. These guys are playing for jobs here. They're playing for money. The only way they can do that is by winning basketball games. They aren't going to put their careers in jeopordy just so the team they play for, can get some young hot prospect in the draft. These guys need to play as well and as hard as they can. They need to win games or else these players are gonna be out of the league very soon. This is a very young team and none of these guys have proven themselves yet (with the exception of Sczerbiak, Pierce and Jefferson). Every player in the NBA cares more about their job in the league than what player the team they play for chooses in the draft. These guys aren't only playing for a job for the team they're on; They're playing for a job in the NBA. Most of these players could care less what team they're on. Aslong as they're in the NBA, thats what they care about the most. They wanna play well so if they end up getting cut, then hopefully another team will pick them up. These NBA players have too much to loose. There is no possible way they would put their NBA dreams on the line just so their team can get a number 1 or number 2 draft pick. Thats just rediculous. Nobody would ever do that, even if the team told the players to tank the season, the players still wouldn't tank it. It's not like the team is gonna guarentee everyone on the team their job for next year because that just doesn't happen in pro sports.

Not only that, but the NBA has a lottery and it isn't a 100 percent guarenteed that the celtics will get the first or second pick in the draft even if they end up having the worst record in the league.

Plus the celtics aren't a bad team. They're a young team and they only won 2 games with pierce out of the lineup because of the injury he suffered in December.

Also if the NBA found out that any team was tanking games on purpose, that team would be in HUGE trouble and believe me, they'd find out. If every player on the team was told to tank it, the word would get out some how and that organization who told their players to tank it, would be SCREWED big time.
cobb45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 cobb45
Member since 2004 • 1179 Posts

now that the celtics are on a 16 game losing streak, do u think that they will start losing on purpose so that they can get the first pick of the draft, be it kevin durant or greg oden if they declare for the draft this yearvrizzle

It doesn't work like that. NBA uses a lottery to determine the draft order. The more losses mean more ping pong balls. Perfect example in 1997 the Grizziles had the worst record and the Celtics had the 2nd worst record. But neither team got the #1 pick. Instead the Spurs got the #1 pick which they used to draft Tim Duncan.

The lottery is intended to prevent teams from losing on purpose in order to get the #1 pick.

duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 duxup
Member since 2002 • 43443 Posts
You've got to be crazy to think that an NBA team would loose games on purpose.A_Lethal_Virus
The T-Wolves last year sat KG for most of the last few games so they could loose and hopefully improve their position in the draft. Not to say they ever draft well aside from KG but it was pretty clear that was their intent. If they’re smart they’ll do it this year too to be sure they don’t make the playoffs and they can keep a draft pick from last years trade.
danthemanxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 danthemanxxx
Member since 2003 • 1069 Posts
No they just suck!!!!
silky_smooth8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 silky_smooth8
Member since 2003 • 3659 Posts
what a good year to suck with the star studded 07 draft
zeldafan00013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 zeldafan00013
Member since 2004 • 6575 Posts
they are going to get the first pick why keep loosing. And even if they want to win they cant anyways so they dont really ahve a choice. and to completely blow a season because you want the first pick in a draft is idiotic you will loose so much fan support doing that.
Rhazakna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Rhazakna
Member since 2004 • 11022 Posts
they are going to get the first pick why keep loosing. And even if they want to win they cant anyways so they dont really ahve a choice. and to completely blow a season because you want the first pick in a draft is idiotic you will loose so much fan support doing that.zeldafan00013

If you think the Celtics are going to lose fan support, you don't know much about the city of Boston.
UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 UssjTrunks
Member since 2005 • 11299 Posts
There's no point in winning games now. I'm sure the fans would appreciate a first overall pick much more than a mediocre record this season.
Ngamer05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Ngamer05
Member since 2003 • 11577 Posts

[QUOTE="duxup"][QUOTE="A_Lethal_Virus"]You've got to be crazy to think that an NBA team would loose games on purpose.roulettethedog

The T-Wolves last year sat KG for most of the last few games so they could loose and hopefully improve their position in the draft. Not to say they ever draft well aside from KG but it was pretty clear that was their intent. If they’re smart they’ll do it this year too to be sure they don’t make the playoffs and they can keep a draft pick from last years trade.

If the T-Wolves were smart, Kevin Mchale would be out of a job.:roll::roll:

I wish he would leave and I think KG should go as well, but not for the same reasons.
A_Lethal_Virus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 A_Lethal_Virus
Member since 2005 • 1939 Posts
[QUOTE="zeldafan00013"]they are going to get the first pick why keep loosing. And even if they want to win they cant anyways so they dont really ahve a choice. and to completely blow a season because you want the first pick in a draft is idiotic you will loose so much fan support doing that.Rhazakna

If you think the Celtics are going to lose fan support, you don't know much about the city of Boston.

The celtics already did loose fan support.

I live in Boston and nobody here even cares about the celtics anymore. I mean when the Lakers came over to Boston, most of the people were chanting MVP whenever Kobe Bryant had the ball.

The only sports people in Boston care about are the Red Sox and Patriots.

Maybe when the Celtics draft Greg Oden and start winning games or something, then we'll start gaining the fan support we had 15 years ago.

But until then, most people out here hate the celtics.
datniccah187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 datniccah187
Member since 2005 • 1299 Posts

I love the Celtics, they are my favorite team in the NBA.  I started following them in the late 90's when i moved to the area.  What they are going through right now is very sad.  Danny Ainge is who i blame the whole thing on.  He trades away every good thing the Celtics get going.  I remember being in the Conference Finals during the 2002 season.  That squad was awesome.  Antoine, Paul, Eric Williams, Kenny Anderson, Tony Battie, Joe Johnson, Rodney Rogers, and a whole other cast of very solid veteran players.   We were up 2-1 on the Nets before we let it all slip away.  I still beleive that if the Celtics had gotten past the Nets they would have given the Lakers some trouble in the Finals.  During that season the C's beat the Lakers both times they played.  Only player we have left from that team is Paul.  Because Danny Ainge wanted to go in another direction.  Now we have all this young talent with no solid vets.  I understand that the Celtics will get better with time, but at the same time the worst part of this whole thing isn't the losing and the tradition of winning and all of that.  Its Paul Pierce.  Danny Ainge screwed him over.  Paul Pierce is arguably one of the top ten players in the league, and right now he is in the prime of his career, and he's stuck on a team that is going nowhere fast.  There is no excuse to have a playet the caliber of Paul Pierce on your team and you surround him with nothing and expect him to play the best years of his career on one of the worst teams in the league.

As much as i hate to say this, Paul isn't going to be able to stay in Boston.  I don't see any way he stays with the C's or more than another season or so.  I mean allthough he never comes out and complains about his situation i know he has got to be buring up inside.  And the way Ainge like to ship away all the good players for prospects Paul wont be in Boston for long.  I just hope if and when Paul gets traded we get some solid veteran players to match the young talent on the team now.  But if we end up trading Paul and get more young guys, i'm not going to be a happy Celtics fan. 

But back on topic the C's wont start dumping games.  As someone said up top thats these guys jobs, to win games.  They start losing games or not playing to their fullest capabilities they will end up jobless in the near future.  Plus this team has a lot of fight in them you can tell they want to win.  Espcially guys like Ryan Gomes, Al Jefferson, and D-West.  They just have that winner vibe about them.  Also you can tell all this losing is starting to get to them mentally.  Back when they only lost 5 or 6 games they still had a lot of fight in them, a lot of enthusiam.  Now after their 12, 13 loss they seem totally out of it.  So i dont think they can keep on losing just for the sake of losing.  I don't think they are going to lose their 17th straight, Paul is back.  He had his rusty come back game, i expect the C's to win their game Sunday against Minnesota.  Paul should have a good games, the young guys will step up, they will get it done.

Rhazakna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Rhazakna
Member since 2004 • 11022 Posts
[QUOTE="Rhazakna"][QUOTE="zeldafan00013"]they are going to get the first pick why keep loosing. And even if they want to win they cant anyways so they dont really ahve a choice. and to completely blow a season because you want the first pick in a draft is idiotic you will loose so much fan support doing that.A_Lethal_Virus

I live in Boston and nobody here even cares about the celtics anymore. I mean when the Lakers came over to Boston, most of the people were chanting MVP whenever Kobe Bryant had the ball.

Maybe when the Celtics draft Greg Oden and start winning games or something, then we'll start gaining the fan support we had 15 years ago.

Now that's sad. I have friends and family from Boston, and they were constantly talking about how loyal Boston sports fans are, but apparently that's all BS. I'm a Celtics fan from NYC, and I haven't abandoned them, despite how bad they've been. For shame, Boston, for shame.
bunchofpixels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 bunchofpixels
Member since 2003 • 7049 Posts
[QUOTE="Rhazakna"][QUOTE="zeldafan00013"]they are going to get the first pick why keep loosing. And even if they want to win they cant anyways so they dont really ahve a choice. and to completely blow a season because you want the first pick in a draft is idiotic you will loose so much fan support doing that.A_Lethal_Virus

Its true. There arent that many true Celtic or Bruin fans around here. All the talk in Boston is Red Sox or Patriots.
Saruman1719

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#18 Saruman1719
Member since 2003 • 12466 Posts
[QUOTE="A_Lethal_Virus"][QUOTE="Rhazakna"][QUOTE="zeldafan00013"]they are going to get the first pick why keep loosing. And even if they want to win they cant anyways so they dont really ahve a choice. and to completely blow a season because you want the first pick in a draft is idiotic you will loose so much fan support doing that.bunchofpixels

Its true. There arent that many true Celtic or Bruin fans around here. All the talk in Boston is Red Sox or Patriots.

I agree. Out of all the avid sport fans I know, there are an extremely small few, including myself, who pay attention to the C's. I rock my Pierce jersey proud though, drawing sneers from every customer who comes into the liquor store I work at. If the Celtics ever start winning again, it is going to be a riot and somewhat annoying when all the band wagoners come crawling back. I'm about to turn 22 and I still marvel at the fact that the Celtics were once the toast of the town. I've only known them as losers for the majority of my NBA-viewing career and I still love them. Boston isn't as loyal a place as some would make you believe. The Celtics are still fun to watch. I know their record says otherwise, but they stay in most games...or blow the lead and lose. I hope we one of the top two picks...I can't take another situation where the pin pong balls bounce the wrong way and we get robbed of another Duncan. As for the Bruins, I can understand the lack of interest there. Sadly, not many people love hockey. Bruins management also makes it impossible to root for the team.
bunchofpixels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 bunchofpixels
Member since 2003 • 7049 Posts
[QUOTE="bunchofpixels"][QUOTE="A_Lethal_Virus"][QUOTE="Rhazakna"][QUOTE="zeldafan00013"]they are going to get the first pick why keep loosing. And even if they want to win they cant anyways so they dont really ahve a choice. and to completely blow a season because you want the first pick in a draft is idiotic you will loose so much fan support doing that.Saruman1719

I agree. Out of all the avid sport fans I know, there are an extremely small few, including myself, who pay attention to the C's. I rock my Pierce jersey proud though, drawing sneers from every customer who comes into the liquor store I work at. If the Celtics ever start winning again, it is going to be a riot and somewhat annoying when all the band wagoners come crawling back. I'm about to turn 22 and I still marvel at the fact that the Celtics were once the toast of the town. I've only known them as losers for the majority of my NBA-viewing career and I still love them. Boston isn't as loyal a place as some would make you believe. The Celtics are still fun to watch. I know their record says otherwise, but they stay in most games...or blow the lead and lose. I hope we one of the top two picks...I can't take another situation where the pin pong balls bounce the wrong way and we get robbed of another Duncan. As for the Bruins, I can understand the lack of interest there. Sadly, not many people love hockey. Bruins management also makes it impossible to root for the team.

With the Paul coming back, it doesnt look like the Celtics will be getting a top 2 pick. They are the worst team in the NBA without Paul, but only medicore with him.
Saruman1719

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20 Saruman1719
Member since 2003 • 12466 Posts
[QUOTE="Saruman1719"] [QUOTE="bunchofpixels"][QUOTE="A_Lethal_Virus"][QUOTE="Rhazakna"][QUOTE="zeldafan00013"]they are going to get the first pick why keep loosing. And even if they want to win they cant anyways so they dont really ahve a choice. and to completely blow a season because you want the first pick in a draft is idiotic you will loose so much fan support doing that.bunchofpixels

With the Paul coming back, it doesnt look like the Celtics will be getting a top 2 pick. They are the worst team in the NBA with Paul, but only medicore with him.

Maybe. He'll be rusty for at least a few more games. Still, even if with him back, I can't see us winning more than 14 games out of the remaining 33 games. 26 wins max, I'd say. We're still 4 games worse than the 3rd worst team, the 76ers. I'd say we still have a shot.
Avatar image for BeanTownBrown86
BeanTownBrown86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BeanTownBrown86
Member since 2005 • 3654 Posts
:cry: whyyyyyyyyyy, anyways, there a young team so u cant really expect them to win a lot but 17 games....again :cry:
StarFoxCOM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#22 StarFoxCOM
Member since 2006 • 5605 Posts
Well the Celtics are pretty bad. And it's amazing to see a team the once domanitated to sink this low
Avatar image for GEARSpartan0415
GEARSpartan0415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#23 GEARSpartan0415
Member since 2006 • 403 Posts

i could see that

aint nobody got a chance the way the raptors are playin
BobSacamento

ummmmm did you forget about the Nets???  the Raptors are just a streaky team theyll go on a slump soon, this is not how good they really are, and just watch the Nets will win it all,