Are these college football's darkest days?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by KingOfOldSkool (1681 posts) -

-

#2 Posted by Jaysonguy (37422 posts) -

Heisman trophies and national championships being vacated while head coaches conveniently bolt for the NFL before the hammer drops.. legends like Bobby Bowden vacating wins that drop himdown the all-time wins list.. goons like Nick Saban, Lane Kiffin and Rich Rodriguez showcasing the utter lack of loyalty and professionalism many of today's college football coaches possess.. agents becoming more dangerous than ever.. it being "2010" and college presidents STILL not finding the time to institute an actual fair playoff system, but finding more than enough time to concoct plans on blowing up conferences on a whim for monetary gain.. is college football more crooked than ever? Will it continue to only get worse?

KingOfOldSkool

It's the cleanest it's ever been

We're just seeing it reported on more

We're entering the golden age of the sport. Small schools are now able to get on the same level as the larger school and super conferences mean that networks will be dedicated to them so more people will see their favorite teams nationwide

#4 Posted by T-Prime (995 posts) -

The over-saturation of U.S. sports networks by college sports is just nuts. Viewing it from the outside as both A) a Canadian, and B) someone who probably wouldn't care anyway, the fact that so much money and prestige is always on the line and yet the NCAA continues to claim that all of its athletes are "amateurs" and penalizes schools for operating as they should yet aren't allowed to is enough to kill any possible interest I ever had in the behind-the-scenes workings of any of it.

And holding the "national championship" game a week after all other bowl games? Nuts.

#6 Posted by X360PS3AMD05 (36298 posts) -
Pretty much, yet people still seem to care about college football.
#7 Posted by Sonwhy (1032 posts) -

There is a lot more good that is occuring than bad. I know there is all kinds of programs that are not following the rules or are having several players doing things that they shouldn't be doing but that has always gone on in college football except its becoming more and more public.

Anyway, as far as I can see the light at the end of the tunnel is getting a hell of light brighter than it ever was when the Big 12 was on ok terms. Now that the Big 12 is starting to break apart, there is only a matter of time till some of the other schools leave that conference.

Texas is just flat out bad for the sport of college football. Texas never wanted much competition and all they ever really wanted was money and winning championships. Texas's days of dominance in the Big 12 are drawing to an end as the rest of the Big 12 will collapse. When the Big 12 does collapse and it will happen then it will likely form four 14 team conference or four 16 team conferences. This will also make it easier to determine who the best team really is when everyone has to play everybody else(This will make it just like a playoff or pretty close to it.)

#8 Posted by TaCoDuDe (3239 posts) -

And yet the sport is more popular than ever. It'll be fine.

#10 Posted by cmpepper23 (3256 posts) -

There is a lot more good that is occuring than bad. I know there is all kinds of programs that are not following the rules or are having several players doing things that they shouldn't be doing but that has always gone on in college football except its becoming more and more public.

Anyway, as far as I can see the light at the end of the tunnel is getting a hell of light brighter than it ever was when the Big 12 was on ok terms. Now that the Big 12 is starting to break apart, there is only a matter of time till some of the other schools leave that conference.

Texas is just flat out bad for the sport of college football. Texas never wanted much competition and all they ever really wanted was money and winning championships. Texas's days of dominance in the Big 12 are drawing to an end as the rest of the Big 12 will collapse. When the Big 12 does collapse and it will happen then it will likely form four 14 team conference or four 16 team conferences. This will also make it easier to determine who the best team really is when everyone has to play everybody else(This will make it just like a playoff or pretty close to it.)

Sonwhy

That's laughable. The money part is true, but Texas is not against competition. You sound bitter.

#11 Posted by UCF_Knight (6863 posts) -
They're dark, that's for sure. There's so much negativity surrounding the sport it's hard to even follow. For the first time in a while, I only care about watching my hometown team. When they aren't playing, I couldn't care less about college football.
#12 Posted by Sonwhy (1032 posts) -

[QUOTE="Sonwhy"]

cmpepper23

That's laughable. The money part is true, but Texas is not against competition. You sound bitter.

Texas has UCLA scheduled and that is the only good ooc opponent on their schedule. Oklahoma has a decent schedule. Texas is known for scheduling an easy schedule to just make the championship game. This will be Texas's last year of being able to do that if they win all their games. The only way Texas makes it to a national title game after this year is if they schedule more tough ooc games. Your going to have to play some teams that don't rely 100% on recruiting in the state of Texas.

This isn't about the money because any conference that Texas joins, Texas knows they are going to make a decent amount of money. The longhorns will never lack enough money to keep their school and athletic programs running. Enjoy your last year of the BS!

#13 Posted by cmpepper23 (3256 posts) -

[QUOTE="cmpepper23"]

[QUOTE="Sonwhy"]

Sonwhy

Texas has UCLA scheduled and that is the only good ooc opponent on their schedule. Oklahoma has a decent schedule. Texas is known for scheduling an easy schedule to just make the championship game. This will be Texas's last year of being able to do that if they win all their games. The only way Texas makes it to a national title game after this year is if they schedule more tough ooc games. Your going to have to play some teams that don't rely 100% on recruiting in the state of Texas.

This isn't about the money because any conference that Texas joins, Texas knows they are going to make a decent amount of money. The longhorns will never lack enough money to keep their school and athletic programs running. Enjoy your last year of the BS!

We played Ohio State ooc two years in a row a several years back. We tried playing Arkansas again recently, but for some reason or another that fell through. There are plenty of big school teams that don't play tough ooc schedules. We usually schedule 2 cupcake games and then a good team. I would much rather play all good teams, but it's not my call. The BCS has created a system where taking chances on playing other good/great teams isn't always worth it if you want to play in the NC.

The past couple years haven't been so good, but we're not going to the NC every year so it's not a big deal who we play. When we have, it's been deserving. It's not like we're a crap team with little talent getting to the big game and then blowing it. We have the athletes, talents, and coaches to compete. If it's possible to get there without going out of our way to impress everyone by risking everything, then why not. You can complain all you want about Texas, but we are not the only ones taking advantage of what the BCS has created.

I'm not opposing what you said about money. I know Texas will always have and make enough money because we are one of, if not the biggest, schools in NCAA sports when it comes to monetary value.

It just seems like you're putting college FBs problems off on Texas. We're only doing what we have to in order to get what we want within the rules of the system. The BCS is bad for college football not Texas.