A Little Somethin' Somethin' for Madden Haters

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Eman5805

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Eman5805
Member since 2004 • 4494 Posts

If you can read this and not be impressed with how EA is working to improve Madden, then you're just a hater without a cause.
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/784/784284p1.html

Midair Collisions
A quarterback lofts a pass to a streaking receiver that is well covered. The receiver jumps and extends his arms to receive the ball just as the corner buries his helmet into his ribcage. The receiver is upended and falls on his back while the ball bounces into the hands of the safety creeping over to help. If you're going to expose yourself in traffic, expect to get hit. We can see the alligator arms growing now.

Big Time Catches
To balance these big hits in the secondary, EA has made star receivers play like, you know, stars. Guys like Larry Fitzgerald are going to go up and get the ball and they're going to take the hit. What's more, you'll see them reaching out for one-handed grabs and leaping into the end zone for six. That's not to say a good corner isn't going to shut down some of these plays. But a scrub DB? "He's toast," Cummings said.

To do this, EA had to better emphasize the roles receivers play by looking at situational awareness and catch-in-traffic ratings. So expect to see a big difference with possession guys like Keyshawn Johnson and showboats like Terrell Owens. Johnson won't stretch the D, but he will do the little things -- in the end zone on a timing patter, he'll catch the ball with his hands and fall right to the turf to avoid the hit and secure the football. Along with highlight catches, you can also trigger possession catches that ensure you catch the ball, get the feet down and tuck it away safely at the expense of some speed running after the catch.

Hurdles
A few years ago, players were able to cheat with the hurdle button to escape tackles. The easy solution was simply to remove hurdles. They're back in 08, and a great tool for ball carriers looking to evade tacklers going for the knees. On the flip side of that coin, you are exposed in the air, as we saw in this video:

LaDainian Tomlinson takes a pitch and sweeps right. As a linebacker bears down, LT hurdles. Bad move. In the air, LT is unprotected. The LB takes his legs out from under him and LT flips over, fumbling the ball toward the sideline. "If a guy is running at you and you jump at him, you're dead," said Cummings. "We emulated that."

Hitstick 2.0
If LT is going to hurdle to avoid a tackle, you have to be able to answer on the defensive side of the ball. Enter Hitstick 2.0. This will allow you to tackle high or low by flicking up or down on the right stick, respectively. This opens the door for all kinds of possibilities.

If you're an undersized corner and Lorenzo Neal is barreling toward you, you better take out his knees at risk of getting trucked. If it's Warrick Dunn dancing toward you, on the other hand, you may want to hold off on the hit stick altogether at the risk of losing your shoes. But if you're Zach Thomas and the situation is right, a high tackle is going to ring some bells.

Gang Tackles
We saw a bit of gang tackling last year on the PS3, but this year the feature looks to be fully fleshed out. Cummings said with confidence that it's "the best gang-tackling engine ever created," a bold statement considering the old 2K franchise. But consider this:

You can stand a guy up and come in with a linebacker to clean house. Yeah, it's been done before. But from here, Cummings said you can add on dynamically at any point. So maybe it takes two, three, four guys to haul Larry Johnson to the ground. Or if you're running in with a linebacker, you can actually knock the other defenders off the ball carrier with a poorly-aimed hit. Or blockers can come in and try to knock defenders off. Or you can try to strip the ball. A runner can cover it up. The list just keeps going.

The Line of Scrimmage
EA enlisted an engineer that played offensive line in college and the Canadian Football League to design a new blocking scheme. This season you'll see double teams, stretch blocking and linemen extending to the second level. A lot more holes will open up this year and you'll need to follow the game plan to take advantage.

For running backs, that means reading and following blocks. Of course, a few gargantuan defensive tackles can ruin your trap play faster than you can say Corey Simon, so it's important to be able to improvise. Last season if a hole didn't open up, a back would simply run in place behind a lineman-- ice skating as it's known in the biz. This year, big backs will push the pile and force their blockers forward. Smaller backs like Reggie Bush will hesitate behind the line, waiting for an opening to develop before bouncing outside. Both moves are context-sensitive and automatic when you run into a blocker.

Fatigue
Guess what? Temperature and location play a factor in a football game. If you're a Green Bay Packer playing at Dolphin Stadium in September, you're going to feel the heat while the Dolphins are well-adjusted. And don't start on the Dolphins playing in Foxborough in December. Weather will play into the home-field advantage next season.

But fatigue is caused by a lot more than a hot day. Consider this: If Reggie Bush scampers left, then right, then backward, then left and right again and finally into the end zone as only Reggie Bush can, he's going to be tired at the end of the run. In Madden, you'll notice him slowing and, with a different set of running animations, you will see that Bush is gassed. But really, does that guy ever get tired?

For those of you that enjoy sprinting from sideline to sideline with Michael Vick, it's time to get a new strategy. Then again, the defense will tire too...

After a play, you won't see the same canned animations of 11 players jogging back to a huddle in unison. Players will huff and puff with their hands on their hips, longing for the oxygen tank on the sidelines. This will add a new dimension to clock management as you can't simply run Hail Mary after Hail Mary with a no-huddle offense. Those long patterns (and the jog back to the line) take a heavy toll. Instead, you'll need to complete a pass and -- dare I say it -- spike the ball to stop the clock. Just waiting a few extra seconds to snap the ball will have an effect

Celebrate Good Times, C'mon!
After all these amazing plays, you have to leave a little room for some player celebrations. Forget about those sluggish cutscenes and shots of the stands from last year. If you blow up a play on defense, a teammate will run over, pick you up off the ground, give you a slap on the helmet and a quick, "Hell yeah!" and jog back to the huddle. This all runs within the game engine and helps keep the action flowing smoothly -- a natural problem in football games.

After scores, keep your eyes peeled for signature celebrations like Chad Johnson's river dance, Donte Hall's X and Rex Grossman's gator chomp. EA already has at least 60 celebrations in the game, although we don't know yet if you'll be able to choose one for yourself after a score.

Madden's new moves are made possible to a new animation system borrowed from the FIFA franchise and NBA Street Homecourt. The goal is to make players move as realistically as possible. Instead of turning in a lazy arc, players are going to plant their feet, drop their shoulder and make cuts. We watched as LT hit a hole hard and made decisive cuts through the second level to rip off a big gain. It's also important to note that these cuts are quick -- in FIFA, players would often step in the bucket and a foot plant would slow players down

As LT spun around a defender, cut left, broke a leg tackle and was finally dragged down by a neck tackle, the animations blended smoothly together, inspired by the Homecourt system. Cummings has pushed his team to ensure that players can break out of animations and pull off another move or change direction at any time. When a receiver runs and out and catches a pass near the sideline, he doesn't have to let his momentum carry him out of bounds during the catch animation. Now he can haul the ball in, do a quick chop step and cut 90 degrees up field. It doesn't look like much by itself, but when you compare all these movements to Madden 07, the improvements stand out like Orlando Pace in a buffet line.

As for AI, EA wants star players to play like star players. Peyton Manning is going to pick a part a defense, call audibles and shift his team at the line. On the flip side, a QB like Rex Grossman is going to be inconsistent. Cornerbacks like Champ Bailey are going to shut down an entire side of the football field. You've never feared a cornerback before in Madden, but that's about to change. EA is also rewriting the defensive zone AI to eliminate money plays, especially deep balls and corner routes.

As such, look for matchups to play a more important factor in 08. Taller receivers will take advantage of small DBs on fade routes. A tight end like Antonio Gates split out wide will burn a slow linebacker trying to play man coverage. EA is trying to emphasize the chess match that is the gridiron on any given Sunday. And don't forget about the defensive side of the ball. If you think you can roll out with a QB right toward a healthy Jevon Kearse without throwing out a double team, you got another thing coming.

And finally, EA is bringing back the features that never made the jump from current-gen Madden like owner mode, defensive hot routes and old-school rosters. The stellar Superstar mode returns, as well as the Hall of Fame, although EA is missing a few notable players like Montana, Marino and Rice that make appearances in All Pro Football 2K8. Is it a coincidence that Madden 08 will be so feature-rich now that 2K is back in the game? Probably not, and that's a good thing as EA has yet another incentive to make the best football game on the market.

Whatever the motivation, it's clear that Cummings and the rest of the development team care about Madden 08, gushing that this year will be the biggest jump in quality over the previous version that we've ever seen. But as the only NFL sim out there, that's what we deserve.

Click the video link below for an exclusive video interview with Cummings and stay tuned for more Madden coverage as we check out player ratings, Superstar mode and Owner mode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sW9Ikifqhzw

StarFoxCOM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2 StarFoxCOM
Member since 2006 • 5605 Posts
Yeah i hate it when people say Madden is the same crap from last year. So lets take a example from Madden 06 to 07 07 had Lead blocking, a better superstar mode, a great new running style, and a improved Franchise with rookie scouting and stuff i'v heard people say if i wanted to play a madden i'd just go back to playing madden 03 ya'll homes livein in teh past. 
murlow12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 murlow12
Member since 2005 • 11109 Posts
Wow, this all sounds great.  I can't wait to buy this game.
Ngamer05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Ngamer05
Member since 2003 • 11577 Posts

Wow, this all sounds great.  I can't wait to buy this game.murlow12

Neither can I

Nene33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Nene33
Member since 2007 • 7870 Posts
I always liked Madden, and been playing eversince the "Ambulance on the field" was a new feature, and I think these improvements will make the experience even better.
nickdastick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#6 nickdastick
Member since 2004 • 5286 Posts
I just read this and was going to throw up a thread too so thanks for getting here first! I can't wait to play this game because if they can pull this off (which they easily can) this game is going to rock hardcore!!! I liked the gameplay from last year but all these additions are HUGE improvements and something that Madden has needed to do for awhile. Gang tackling is what I am looking forward to the most especially with the new engine EA built. It sounds amazing! Also, the mid-air hits and not having canned animations (wasn't that the feature all the 2K8 guys were saying is going to own Madden since it didn't have that type of thing... haha!) so you have more control over your guys is going to be sweet! Plus, Madden will have all the features! I can't wait for this game and NCAA football because they are both going to be sweet!
StarFoxCOM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#7 StarFoxCOM
Member since 2006 • 5605 Posts

Any way last night i just saw All pro 2k8 screens and the GI preview and i must saw it honestly looked kind of terrible both graphicly and in all the other ways it could. I mean the graphics looked worse than Madden 06 360 (not that it looked bad but it's first generation game and madden 07 looked alot better) also content= no the crib mode, NO! FRANCHISE, no First-person football, no ESPN license or current NFL players (honestly if you think about it playing as the best players ever every game would make nearly everybodys stats the same so there is no best QB or RB), and no player ratings WTF. 

Avatar image for Powerhitter0418
Powerhitter0418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 Powerhitter0418
Member since 2006 • 1950 Posts
That game sounds amazing!
andyboiii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 andyboiii
Member since 2006 • 13628 Posts

It took Madden this long to finally put in gang tackling :lol:

well at least they're finally trying to improve gameplay, thats a start

hockeyruler12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 hockeyruler12
Member since 2005 • 8114 Posts

they FINALLY focused on gameplay!!!

im going to get all 3 fottball games this year (NCAA, All Pro 2K8, and Madden) 

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
Right now, it looks alright; I just hope they come through on their promises. EA always seems to overhype their new features IMO.
NetYankEagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 NetYankEagle
Member since 2007 • 11090 Posts

Any way last night i just saw All pro 2k8 screens and the GI preview and i must saw it honestly looked kind of terrible both graphicly and in all the other ways it could. I mean the graphics looked worse than Madden 06 360 (not that it looked bad but it's first generation game and madden 07 looked alot better) also content= no the crib mode, NO! FRANCHISE, no First-person football, no ESPN license or current NFL players (honestly if you think about it playing as the best players ever every game would make nearly everybodys stats the same so there is no best QB or RB), and no player ratings WTF.

StarFoxCOM
compare the graphics between nba live and nba 2k7...which game ended up better :|
Eman5805

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Eman5805
Member since 2004 • 4494 Posts
NBA 2K7 had better graphics to me. To me graphics includes animation of the player models not just how those models look. NBA live players only looked nice when standing still, but once they started moving it made me wanna vomit.
nickdastick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 nickdastick
You guys should check out the interview on IGN because they put some really cool stuff into the game engine (like IK which is going to do a lot for the realism if you ask me). I really do think EA is going to get all this done because you know they are feeling pressure since 2K got back into football and they have a lot of loyal fans that have been wanting a new game from them NFL license or not. I just can't wait to try Madden out because they did away with canned animations as well! This could be the best Madden ever if not best football game ever! August needs to come sooner!!!
UOducks521

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 UOducks521
Member since 2007 • 1005 Posts
im so stoked for madden 08, i think this might be the best madden to date if everything they talk about is implemented and works to perfection
nickdastick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 nickdastick

im so stoked for madden 08, i think this might be the best madden to date if everything they talk about is implemented and works to perfectionUOducks521

I'm with you 110% on that one man! The new IK technology sounds killer and I really think it will add a huge amount to the realism of the game. I just PRAY they put fantasy draft back in that game as well as tournaments (offline). I would also love to see them go the 2K route and have online leagues and tourneys because that is a blast to be able to do. It adds HUGE amounts to the replay value. I can live without it since I like playing franchise mode a lot but it would seriously be AWESOME if they did add it. 

dcowboys3315

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 dcowboys3315
Member since 2004 • 3044 Posts
sounds great.