2K8 ...my first impressions from GI mag

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mazing87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 mazing87
Member since 2004 • 3881 Posts

I have the GI mag and read the article on APF 2K8 (same article with those scanned pictures from the 2K8 Wish List Thread).  Visual Concepts is making some critical yet bold decisions for this game.  To not have a franchise mode is a bit strange to me.  Every gamer wants to play franchise and brush up on their skills at the same time.  There's also no rating system.  As I said, critical yet bold moves.  They have good ideas and believe they can change the way we play football games.  One interesting thing they mentioned is that by not having the NFL license, they aren't restricted and can add more of the detailed things that happen in the game that past NFL games ommitted.  It won't be like Blitz because they stated that they are still producing a realistic football sim.   

I saw the pictures of the game up close and as I said before, I am not impressed.  The player models are terrible.  They look anorexic or malnourished.  There was a picture of a defensive lineman that looked like the size of an NFL kicker pass rushing to get to the QB!   I am not implying that they should be muscle-bound players on steroids, but at least have the models look like true ball players, especially since the NFL legends are being resurrected.  The stadiums will have an explicit theme based on the home teams' nickname.  They boasted that there will be at least 64 different animations of fans in the stadium (tapping feet). The game will be $59.99 (it won't attract a lot of people especially if they are all about the NFL) so it won't be $20 dollars as a lot people hoped for.  Hey, if Pro Evolution Soccer was succesful pricing their game without having real players, then 2K8 can do it. 

But again, those player models!  Unless those pictures were just to throw us off, Madden is the clear winner regarding the graphics and player models.  I guess we all shouldn't be too concerned just yet.  VC says they are doing what they can to provide the best football experience for us. 

Avatar image for 206461861543079188321160707076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 206461861543079188321160707076
Member since 2005 • 1256 Posts
No franchise mode? Thats the game mode i play 90% on any sports game. I'm already having second thoughts about buying 2k8.
Nene33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Nene33
Member since 2007 • 7870 Posts
NO FRANCHISE!?!? Every sports game should have a franchise mode, it's the most played feature on any sports game.
VERS1ON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 VERS1ON
Member since 2003 • 1188 Posts

NO FRANCHISE!?!? Every sports game should have a franchise mode, it's the most played feature on any sports game.Nene33

I know. I didn't plan on buying the game in the first place...then this. I understand "going in a new direction", but this is ridiculous IMO. I'm almost starting to feel sorry for the 2k fanboys that will blindly buy this game lol. If they end up relying upon online play (which seems to be the only choice right now), just wait, because some glitch will get found and cheese will permeate throughout the 2k online community. 

Netherscourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 Netherscourge
Member since 2003 • 16364 Posts

I haven't been impressed with Madden Next-Gen graphics, so I don't see how 2K8 can go wrong by favoring more fluid animations over true-to-life details.

Madden disappoints me every year. I'm looking forward to trying something new.

MDDichard07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#6 MDDichard07
Member since 2006 • 284 Posts

no franchise mode= no happy gamers

the main reason I (and all my friends) get madden/sports game are because of franchise mode because we want to play as/for our favorite teams.

now 2k8 is not only lacking my favorite teams, but its also lacking an in-depth mode to play as them 

nrt25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 nrt25
Member since 2005 • 670 Posts
How could they have a franchise mode anyways without any franchises actually in the game. And graphics be d@nmed if the game play kicks @$$, I still play NFL 2k5, the graphics have to at least be better then that.
StarFoxCOM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8 StarFoxCOM
Member since 2006 • 5605 Posts

Dude i just read the mag okay here is a good chart to compare the 2

2k5= Impressive PS2/x-box graphics, great franchise mode, sweet crib mode, very accurate player stats, NFL license, ESPN license, ESPN 25th annversity mode, and great First person football.
...2k8= Weaker graphics than madden, no Franchise mode, no crib mode, no player stats, no NFL license, no ESPN license, and no First-person football WTF

bdtoole05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 bdtoole05
Member since 2006 • 214 Posts
Nobody buys 2k football games anyways. No franchise=no sales
-ZeRoHouR-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 -ZeRoHouR-
Member since 2003 • 8089 Posts
Maybe they dumped the franchise mode and added in a career mode like Blitz in a way.  Most likely I am wrong but I can wish.
mazing87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mazing87
To not have a franchise mode and other standards features, they must have something up their sleeves.  They have a lot at stake especially since they haven't made a football game in two years.  They haven't said too much so it will be interesting to see what they come up with...
StarFoxCOM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 StarFoxCOM
Member since 2006 • 5605 Posts
Honestly i see All-Pro 2k8 doing awfuly first of all no franchise or any of that stuff i mentioned in my last post. second of all think about it when casuls go into a store and see a player that they've never seen on the box (cause it doesn't have the NFL license) they won't buy it
VERS1ON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 VERS1ON
I hope they have something up their sleeves, but I'm sure 2k fans would prefer to hear more about what the game WILL have, instead of about what WON'T be in the game...Oh, and you can only say "NFL legends" for so long with any conviction.
Ghost_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#14 Ghost_Warrior
Member since 2003 • 9002 Posts
There is no way this game can be successful without a franchise mode, its the one mode that is essential to any sports game.  Visual Concepts better have something good up there sleeve and these graphics better not be as bad as they are appearing right now.  VC has had 3 years to work on this game, how can they not produce a game that can kick Madden to the curb?  I wasn't having any doubts about this game until now.
eitremn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 eitremn
Member since 2004 • 806 Posts

I'm a madden fan, and i love that game.  but at the same time, i'm all for competition, it keeps companies honest.  so to see what i've seen so far about the 2K8 game is very dissapointing to me.  it's unfathomable to me that a game company (especially one that is suppose to be so good :roll: ) would leave out the core of any sports game, the franchise mode.  as other people have stated, that is what everyone gets sports games for.  yeah it's great to have great gameplay and graphics and all that jazz, but lets face it, you don't spend nearly as much time in that part of the game as you do in the franchise mode.  another thing, someone up above mentioned that there is no player ratings, so what, every team is exactly the same?  pfff, they just didn't wanna ruffle any of the "legendary" players feathers is all that comes down to.  this game looks like it will be lame and will get the sales of the blind 2K fanboys and there sales alone.

andyboiii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 andyboiii
Member since 2006 • 13628 Posts

I think I saw the words season and full customization in the GS preview correct me if im wrong

APF 2k8 Preview

nickdastick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#17 nickdastick
Member since 2004 • 5286 Posts

No franchise mode? Thats the game mode i play 90% on any sports game. I'm already having second thoughts about buying 2k8.Joelo8112002

I have to agree with that one... EA's first Madden on 360 at least had franchise mode! Hopefully the other stuff they want to add makes up for it and hopefully those models are just from 2K5 and are high res or something because if not, Madden could walk away as an easy winner (which I don't care either way but I am buying NCAA and Madden, I just hope 2K can step it up enough to put some pressure on Madden so they put this much effort into next years game as well). 

nickdastick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#18 nickdastick
Member since 2004 • 5286 Posts

I think I saw the words season and full customization in the GS preview correct me if im wrong

APF 2k8 Preview

andyboiii

But what does full customization mean? The guys working on the game said you wouldn't be able to change the teams into NFL ones because they didn't want to have any problems with the NFL (which I am sure they would)... So does that mean you get to make your own player or something? And season mode is fine but NBA Live 06 had it and when you finished you had to start all over which was lame!!! You don't realize how cool franchise mode is until it's gone. Mark my words, it could be the thing that kills 2K8. 

VERS1ON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 VERS1ON

APF 2k8 Preview

andyboiii

Let's see...OOH, I played a season! What to do, now!!! Oh, yeah another single season with everybody rated the same, but on different teams. "Full customization" does NOT include the ability to recreate the NFL.

It should be called "Single Season All Pro Fantasy Draft 2k8", because that's what the game will be. 

andyboiii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 andyboiii
Member since 2006 • 13628 Posts
[QUOTE="andyboiii"]

APF 2k8 Preview

VERS1ON

Let's see...OOH, I played a season! What to do, now!!! Oh, yeah another single season with everybody rated the same, but on different teams. "Full customization" does NOT include the ability to recreate the NFL.

It should be called "Single Season All Pro Fantasy Draft 2k8", because that's what the game will be.

lol get it together online play is where its at man, I mean I used to play franchise and season when I was a little kid which was fun and all but online is where gaming is heading. most people who bought the 360 bought it to play on XBL and thats exactly what ill be doing with this game and any other sports games I buy

swamprat_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 swamprat_basic
Member since 2002 • 9145 Posts

I guess I go against the grain by preferring good gameplay to things like franchise mode.

How can I possibly appreciate any new Madden games if they all play worse than ESPN NFL 2K5? And they do play worse. There is always a bunch of game wrecking flaws in the new Madden games. Players not being able to catch balls on the sidelines drives me absolutely crazy. 2K5 wasn't perfect by any means, but there was never anything that made me want to ever stop playing it like Madden '06 and '07 have done.

VERS1ON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 VERS1ON
[QUOTE="VERS1ON"][QUOTE="andyboiii"]

APF 2k8 Preview

andyboiii

lol get it together online play is where its at man, I mean I used to play franchise and season when I was a little kid which was fun and all but online is where gaming is heading. most people who bought the 360 bought it to play on XBL and thats exactly what ill be doing with this game and any other sports games I buy

I don't care for online gaming, that's probably just me, and no, I'm not a little kid. Have you played a football game online? Do you know how many people don't even play real football, but try to play backyard football with NFL players. I personally favor playing the game the way it's meant to be played. When somebody finds a glitch or money play, they exploit it. It ruins online games. Although, I will say, NCAA 07 was great online, maybe because of who I played.

I like being able to see the progression of players over several seasons. Can you make Vince Young a Hall of Fame QB? Can you salvage David Carr's career? Can you actually score with the current Minnesota Vikings offense, or will you need to shake things up to get a division title? I love the underlying stories within sports, and finding new challenges. I love that as much as the actual game being played on the field. Maybe I'm in the minority, but hey, it is what it is. You buy what you'll enjoy more, and I'll buy what I enjoy more. Respect.

mazing87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mazing87

Version, I would have to agree with you...

Thats one thing I do like about franchises... You can take a team like the Houston Texans, build them up and have them win the superbowl in a couple of years.  I truly enjoy that experience to take a bad or underdog team and make them successful.  With APF 2K8, you have legends that you really don't need to improve since they are already great.  VC are making very bold decisions in omitting franchise, player ratings, and still pricing the game at $60.  This can only mean that VC can pack so much content in the game that the gameplay in APF 2K8's should surpass Madden 08's gameplay with ease.  I don't care about the legends in the game.  I only care about the gameplay.  So I have very high expectations for APF 2K8.  But I am excited to play Madden 08 since they are including features that were already in 2K5.  I am more curious to know what they have done to improve Superstar mode.  It's a great time to be a football fan because whether you like one or the other or both, there will be a game for everyone!  I can't wait to play them both and make a decision as to which game is truly the best football game. 

[QUOTE="andyboiii"][QUOTE="VERS1ON"][QUOTE="andyboiii"]

APF 2k8 Preview

VERS1ON

I don't care for online gaming, that's probably just me, and no, I'm not a little kid. Have you played a football game online? Do you know how many people don't even play real football, but try to play backyard football with NFL players. I personally favor playing the game the way it's meant to be played. When somebody finds a glitch or money play, they exploit it. It ruins online games. Although, I will say, NCAA 07 was great online, maybe because of who I played.

I like being able to see the progression of players over several seasons. Can you make Vince Young a Hall of Fame QB? Can you salvage David Carr's career? Can you actually score with the current Minnesota Vikings offense, or will you need to shake things up to get a division title? I love the underlying stories within sports, and finding new challenges. I love that as much as the actual game being played on the field. Maybe I'm in the minority, but hey, it is what it is. You buy what you'll enjoy more, and I'll buy what I enjoy more. Respect.

SpideR_CentS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#24 SpideR_CentS
Member since 2006 • 4766 Posts
Online seaons are all that matters to me. I played NFL 2k5 for 100's of hours and I dont even think I made it through a whole season on francise. The should have kept it in still though.