2012 NHL Lockout Thread

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa
deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

It is that time year again. The Los Angeles Kings nab the Stanley Cup and so the off-season begins. I will get this stickied in some time so don't worry about that. If somebody is willing to suggest a poll question I will create one as well.

Anyways, what are your expectations for your team next season? What storylines are you looking into this off-season? Since I'm a Bruins fan, I say let Thomas go. I said that before last season was even over. Rask proved he can fill in.

Los9090

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#2 Los9090
Member since 2004 • 7288 Posts

It is that time year again. The Los Angeles Kings nab the Stanley Cup and so the off-season begins. I will get this stickied in some time so don't worry about that. If somebody is willing to suggest a poll question I will create one as well.

Anyways, what are your expectations for your team next season? What storylines are you looking into this off-season? Since I'm a Bruins fan, I say let Thomas go. I said that before last season was even over. Rask proved he can fill in.

sherman-tank1
The Kings only have a couple of free agents to worry about, Dustin Penner, Jarret Stoll, Scott Parse, and Colin Fraser. Jonathan Quick's contract runs out after next season so they'll have to deal with that eventually.
Swanogt19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 Swanogt19
Member since 2008 • 24159 Posts
A poll should be where will Parise land? As a Boston fan there is not much excitement left this off season. Paille, Kelly, and Campbell have already been signed. With only two spots open on the starting roster I don't expect much to happen. I amusing Caron will take one of the spot and I would like to see Dougie start on the D-line. Not sure why people keep talking about the B's going after Parise, we are loaded up forwards. I guess I am looking forward to the draft more than anything at the moment.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa

A poll should be where will Parise land? As a Boston fan there is not much excitement left this off season. Paille, Kelly, and Campbell have already been signed. With only two spots open on the starting roster I don't expect much to happen. I amusing Caron will take one of the spot and I would like to see Dougie start on the D-line. Not sure why people keep talking about the B's going after Parise, we are loaded up forwards. I guess I am looking forward to the draft more than anything at the moment. Swanogt19
Give me some options and I will create the poll. Yeah, the only Bruins headline this off-season is Thomas. Can't complain about stability though.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa

[QUOTE="sherman-tank1"]

Los9090

The Kings only have a couple of free agents to worry about, Dustin Penner, Jarret Stoll, Scott Parse, and Colin Fraser. Jonathan Quick's contract runs out after next season so they'll have to deal with that eventually.

Will be interesting to see how big of a contract he gets.

Swanogt19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Swanogt19
What happen to the sticky? Um teams for Parise I would say Devils, Red Wings, Flyers, Wild, and Rangers. Or add an other option for either the Wild or Rangers.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa

What happen to the sticky? Um teams for Parise I would say Devils, Red Wings, Flyers, Wild, and Rangers. Or add an other option for either the Wild or Rangers. Swanogt19
I'm working on the sticky. Poll will be added.

gameeer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 gameeer1
Member since 2006 • 16425 Posts
My expectations are still a playoff appearance in Toronto for the first time since 2004. Maybe even a win or two in their series. Apparently we're supposed to land Roberto Luongo soon, I'm not putting any weight into it until I see a press conference on the matter. Any rumours of Schenn going to Edmonton for their 1st overall pick infuriated Burke, so idk. The Oilers might go after Yakupov even though their dire need is in defense. I expect Ben Scrivens in a backup role at the least from how he performed in the AHL playoffs for the Marlies. I guess if Luongo comes though, it will be Lu and Reimer. Korbinian Holzer needs to come up, and Kadri needs his full-time role. Rogers and Bell are expected to take ownership away from those idiots that is the Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan. Even then, I'm not putting any faith in them changing the culture. The ACC will still be filled with those f***ing dirty scum that is the buisnessmen from Bay Street that don't even care about the team. Any positivity will be cautious until I finally see an "x" next to Toronto's name in the Eastern Conference standings next season. That is if there is not another lockout. >___> Which means no Winter Classic or HBO 24/7. If the Leafs don't make the playoffs this upcoming year, they're in for an incredibly angry mob in front of the Air Canada Centre.
ohjtbehaaave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ohjtbehaaave
Member since 2002 • 2114 Posts
I think the Wild are going to make a huge offer for Parise that the Devils won't be able to compete with. In the end these guys that are FA's are going to cash in taking the money because they really only get this chance once. Can't blame them. Think Jose Reyes leaving the Mets. No such thing as a 'hometown discount' in todays sports. It's all business.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa

My expectations are still a playoff appearance in Toronto for the first time since 2004. Maybe even a win or two in their series. Apparently we're supposed to land Roberto Luongo soon, I'm not putting any weight into it until I see a press conference on the matter.gameeer1
Luongo in the same divison as the Bruins will be interesting.

JohnBean42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 JohnBean42
Member since 2008 • 2810 Posts

Poll shoulda been will there even BE a season next year.

If there is, I fully expect the Leafs to do something. Luongo, Parise, Nash, 1st overall....something....anything.

If not, Burke WILL be on a short leash. This is his team now, not many (if any) players remain from the last managment group. He's gotta get this team to the playoffs.

Swanogt19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Swanogt19
The thought of not having a season next year scares me. That will be another huge set back for the NHL. As I feel it is starting to get some popularity here in the states again. It is disgusting how much coverage how the MLB, NFL, and NBA Sports Center shows compared to the NHL.
Swanogt19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Swanogt19
Parise has said that he wants to stay in New Jersey and signing with the Rangers is out of the question.
Conscrumptured

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Conscrumptured
Member since 2010 • 797 Posts
Yeah, Parise has said repeatedly that he will "never sign with the Rangers." But Gomez had said something similar, before signing with the Rangers. So, yeah. I like Parise more than I liked Gomez, though, so we'll see. The Wild can probably offer him more money than we can, but we're a far more competitive team at the moment. Not that the Wild don't have a commendable lineup, but as Parise just went through a postseason where he can see how far the Devils can go, I think it would be more enticing to him considering money's not the most important factor to him. In the end, I think he will stay, but nothing will surprise. It's probably my own hopes that he DOES stay that fuels my saying so. But yeah.
gameeer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 gameeer1
I think the Wild are going to make a huge offer for Parise that the Devils won't be able to compete with. In the end these guys that are FA's are going to cash in taking the money because they really only get this chance once. Can't blame them. Think Jose Reyes leaving the Mets. No such thing as a 'hometown discount' in todays sports. It's all business.ohjtbehaaave
The Detroit Red Wings beg to differ.
gameeer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 gameeer1
Also, on the topic of Parise. There are still the f***ing stupid nationalist detractors that believe management and the organization wants an "All-American team", and some people would not want Parise because of said prejudice. Not that he's coming to the Leafs, but still. They can f*** themselves.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa

Man Thomas is such a selfish bastard.

JohnBean42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 JohnBean42

Man Thomas is such a selfish bastard.

sherman-tank1
Pretty much. And he wants to come back and win a cup and be the starter at the Olympics? He has no shot. Too many great American goalies.
Swanogt19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Swanogt19
I am sick of hearing about this Thomas stuff. He helped us win a cup and the way he is leaving along with the White House issue has hurt his legacy. I am sure a change of heart can occur, but Chiarelli mentioned him being worn out after the 2011 season and maybe Thomas should've considered just a one year deal or retiring after the cup run. Since he is sitting out I hope Chiarelli does not plan on keeping Thomas. Tuukka is a great goaltender and I do not understand why he gets some of the hate that he does from fans. I think fans forget the 2010 playoffs he played fantastic that year and it was not his fault that the team fell apart around him for four straight games against the Flyers. Tuukka went shot for shot with Ryan Miller in the 1st round. The Thomas era is over, bring on Tuukka time.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa

I am sick of hearing about this Thomas stuff. He helped us win a cup and the way he is leaving along with the White House issue has hurt his legacy. I am sure a change of heart can occur, but Chiarelli mentioned him being worn out after the 2011 season and maybe Thomas should've considered just a one year deal or retiring after the cup run. Tuukka is a great goaltender and I do not understand why he gets some of the hate that he does. I think fans forget the 2010 playoffs he played fantastic that year and it was not his fault that the team fell apart around him for four straight games. The Thomas era is over, bring on Tuukka time. Swanogt19
I just wish he would retire instead of cheating the Bruins. Everybody knows he won't be playing for them again.

Swanogt19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Swanogt19
Even if he did we would still take the cap hit. Anyways I think we need to focus on a Goalie and Defense for the drafts. Currently we are loaded with centers and still have a few wingers that are prospects.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa

Even if he did we would still take the cap hit. Anyways I think we need to focus on a Goalie and Defense for the drafts. Currently we are loaded with centers and still have a few wingers that are prospects. Swanogt19
I think it is best to take a good offensive foward in the draft, then focus on defense. Think we are set with goalies, even without Thomas. We need to get a really good goal scorer, last year offensive droughts killed us,

JohnBean42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 JohnBean42
Even if he did we would still take the cap hit. Anyways I think we need to focus on a Goalie and Defense for the drafts. Currently we are loaded with centers and still have a few wingers that are prospects. Swanogt19
His cap hit already seems like an issue, as the NHL rejected Chris Kelly's contract, due to cap issues, and "payroll tagging". They'll still get it done July 1st, but obviously that money on the cap going towards nothing will hurt. And Tuukka is just another player that we should have :(
Swanogt19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Swanogt19

[QUOTE="Swanogt19"]Even if he did we would still take the cap hit. Anyways I think we need to focus on a Goalie and Defense for the drafts. Currently we are loaded with centers and still have a few wingers that are prospects. sherman-tank1

I think it is best to take a good offensive foward in the draft, then focus on defense. Think we are set with goalies, even without Thomas. We need to get a really good goal scorer, last year offensive droughts killed us,

You forget that Horton was out with nearly half the season. We have 3 prospects, 2 already AHL that are forwards one in the WHL. We wont have another really good goal scorer unless with sign or trade for one. I think you forget that we were still one of the top scoring teams in the league last season. I do not see scoring as an issue. I see on D-line needing depth as well as youth.
Los9090

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Los9090
Lets not forget where we think Ryan Suter will end up. Nashville does have a nice collection of defenseman and say they lose Ryan and trade Weber or let Weber go the way of the offer sheet and pick up 3-4 1st rounders, it could prove to be a nice gamble.
Los9090

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Los9090
Having said that, the Predators have some tough decisions to make as they have a a lot of free agents this year, but they do have $32 million committed to next season.
Avatar image for Zombiekiller360
Zombiekiller360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Zombiekiller360
Member since 2006 • 389 Posts

Well for my team i think re-signing Stoll is a priority and then think about giving penner maybe a one or two year deal not for to much to see if he ia going to stay committed to hustling like he did in the playoffs. Then give Quick a new contract sooner rather than later cause this is his last remaining year, and if we have enough cap to snag a couple wingers do it.

I think Parise goes to Minnesota they offer a lot of money and i feel he wants to help that franchise succeed since he's from there. Ryan Suter he's going to Detroit i think with Lid gone perfect time to take his place.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa

[QUOTE="sherman-tank1"]

[QUOTE="Swanogt19"]Even if he did we would still take the cap hit. Anyways I think we need to focus on a Goalie and Defense for the drafts. Currently we are loaded with centers and still have a few wingers that are prospects. Swanogt19

You forget that Horton was out with nearly half the season. We have 3 prospects, 2 already AHL that are forwards one in the WHL. We wont have another really good goal scorer unless with sign or trade for one. I think you forget that we were still one of the top scoring teams in the league last season. I do not see scoring as an issue. I see on D-line needing depth as well as youth.

I still remember about Horton. I know we are still one of the top scoring but when we score 2 goals per game in the series against the Caps we have a problem.

Swanogt19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Swanogt19
That happens all the time in the playoffs. It happened to the Rangers, Blues, Canucks, Blackhawks this. The Canucks last year against Boston. It happens to a lot of teams in the playoffs. The combination of Goalies on the top of their game with players hurt and tired lead to low scoring games.
Swanogt19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Swanogt19
The Sens sign Karlsson to a 7 year deal. About 6.5 million a year. Anyone think he is getting overpaid?
JohnBean42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 JohnBean42
The Sens sign Karlsson to a 7 year deal. About 6.5 million a year. Anyone think he is getting overpaid?Swanogt19
Can't see how one Norris Trophy season means he gets that. Overpaid in my books. He's really good, and young...so I guess you gotta sign him before he becomes too expensive for them. They are an organization low on cash after all
Swanogt19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Swanogt19
Two rule changes have been made: 1. Rule 67: a penalty now will be issued any time a player places his hand over the puck while it is on the ice in order to conceal it from an opponent or prevent an opponent from playing the puck 2. Rule 76: a delay of game penalty now will be issued to any player taking a faceoff who uses his hand to direct the puck in any direction. I have no problem with rule 67 but I am on the fence of rule 76.
JohnBean42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 JohnBean42
[QUOTE="Swanogt19"]Two rule changes have been made: 1. Rule 67: a penalty now will be issued any time a player places his hand over the puck while it is on the ice in order to conceal it from an opponent or prevent an opponent from playing the puck 2. Rule 76: a delay of game penalty now will be issued to any player taking a faceoff who uses his hand to direct the puck in any direction. I have no problem with rule 67 but I am on the fence of rule 76.

Both of them are great imo.
Swanogt19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Swanogt19
Draft is tomorrow. Who do you want your team to select? I would love the Bruins to draft Dalton Thrower. The fact that tsn has them drafting a goalie makes no sense to me.
Swanogt19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Swanogt19
To the Leafs fan here how much are tickets for a leafs game?
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#36 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
I just have to say when i pictured what the Cup Champs t-shirt would look like, i never imagine it being grey with this iffy black and white livery. But i do like how they were made in Mexico :P
JohnBean42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 JohnBean42

To the Leafs fan here how much are tickets for a leafs game? Swanogt19

Average price is about 123 dollars. Not really sure, never looked since I'm 100% sure I can't afford it. I think the upper bowl, as high as possible, is still over $100. It's ridiculous.

I'd rather drive to Buffalo or go to Columbus (yea, I know they suck, but Yakupov could be fun) and have a nice holiday watching those teams.

I had the chance to watch the Leafs in TB a couple years ago, and I STILL didn't do it. Cause they suck. Watched the Caps instead. And Ovie did this about 4 rows from me.

For the Leafs, they need to KEEP the pick, and I'd love Galchenyuk or Grigorenko. Plus, they need to make a trade. I'm almost expecting a trade. Maybe Luongo, maybe someone else.

Staal turned down a 10 year, 60 mil contract apparently. I fully expect him to be traded this summer, maybe as soon as tomorrow, and I expect Carolina to be very aggressive. They've also been linked to Nash. Makes sense for Staal and the Canes.

Speaking of Nash and Luongo...Dreger said today Philly is interested in Nash, and we all know he loves blockbusters. And Luongo is "down to Florida, Toronto and a "mystery team"". But no discussions today with the Leafs. Who knows how much, if any, is true.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa

Bruins are reported to be interested in Rick Nash.

Los9090

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Los9090

sherman-tank1
That would be frightening...another big body that can score.
Avatar image for CycleOfViolence
CycleOfViolence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 CycleOfViolence
Member since 2011 • 2813 Posts

Draft is tomorrow. Who do you want your team to select? I would love the Bruins to draft Dalton Thrower. The fact that tsn has them drafting a goalie makes no sense to me. Swanogt19

Avs don't pick until 41 and then they have 72, 132, 162, and 192. They could definitely use some help at W in the system.

CycleOfViolence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 CycleOfViolence

sherman-tank1

Price would be steep from Howson. I have to imagine that he's going to ask for Dougie Hamilton as one piece to the package.

CycleOfViolence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 CycleOfViolence

Oilers HAVE to take Yakupov. Despite needing a defenseman they really can't pass on the Russian. Give that team a few years, some help at D and more confidence in net they are going to be a powerhouse.

CycleOfViolence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 CycleOfViolence

Dreger is reporting Bobrovsky to the Blue Jackets for picks.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa

[QUOTE="sherman-tank1"]

Los9090

That would be frightening...another big body that can score.

It would but I feel like Hamilton or Seguin would have to go as long as some other players or draft picks. Just not worth the pirce.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa

[QUOTE="sherman-tank1"]

CycleOfViolence

Price would be steep from Howson. I have to imagine that he's going to ask for Dougie Hamilton as one piece to the package.

Exactly.

CycleOfViolence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 CycleOfViolence

[QUOTE="CycleOfViolence"]

[QUOTE="sherman-tank1"]

sherman-tank1

Exactly.

They'd need to dump salary too if they trade for Nash

Krejci (5.25 mil) + Hamilton + 24th overall for Nash maybe? It's hard to speculate and I know the Bruins are high on Hamilton and don't really want to trade him.

JohnBean42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 JohnBean42

Leafs takea Rielly. Dman out of Moose Jaw. Coming back from bad knee injury. I wanted Forsberg...but this guy sounds great. If the Leafs can sign Justin Schultz...that'll be a really good, young D. Phaneuf, Rielly, Gardiner, Schultz, Gunnerson and maybe Schenn.

Staal traded to Carolina. Big trade. Gets to play wih his brothers. Classy by Shero as well, thanking him at the podium.

Swanogt19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Swanogt19
Bruins don't need Nash. Pick is now! :D
Swanogt19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Swanogt19
Bruins draft Subban. Wow. Certainly interesting.
gameeer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 gameeer1
To the Leafs fan here how much are tickets for a leafs game? Swanogt19
I can personally answer this unfortunately being a sheep paying for tickets for two games. It also varies between teams the Leafs are playing, and I guarantee you Leafs v. Habs is always going to be more expensive than any other ticket here. I saw the Leafs play the Rangers and Flyers. The Rangers game was standing room and costed something ridiculous $120 each. The Flyers game was near $150, and that was upper bowl still. The leafs lost both games, and didn't score a single goal at either of them (the Rangers game I went to had Martin Biron in net instead of Lundqvist, and they won 3-0. The Flyers game was much more enjoyable, a really tight, 0-0 game up to the shootout and Giroux ending it with that nifty deke on Gustavsson). I refuse to buy any more tickets until this team proves their worth. And that was the first time I saw them play live in about three years, just to show you how stupidly expensive the tickets are to the loyal fans. They cater to the Bay Street businessmen more than they do their actual fans.